• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta The Charizard Metagame Discussion Topic

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Should I main this beast of a character,
Or should I at very least improve my Metaknight
better?
That's not an easy question to just answer.

A Charizard beat you, but how do you know it wasn't because you aren't used to the match up? How do you know it wasn't some lucky hit? Or both? I don't really go for complicated ATs that much, and I hear his Perfect Pivots aren't so good anyway.

He takes a lot of practice, and even then, some people who practice him still don't feel like he's that good.
I think improving your Metaknight would be the safer option. I mean, you can't just swap to maining every character that beats you. If that was the case, I would of swapped to Diddy Kong or other speedsters long ago. Maybe you can even challenge some of the Charizard mains around him to try to improve your match up against this lizard.

Last edited:

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
That's not an easy question to just answer.

A Charizard beat you, but how do you know it wasn't because you aren't used to the match up? How do you know it wasn't some lucky hit? Or both? I don't really go for complicated ATs that much, and I hear his Perfect Pivots aren't so good anyway.

He takes a lot of practice, and even then, some people who practice him still don't feel like he's that good.
I think improving your Metaknight would be the safer option. I mean, you can't just swap to maining every character that beats you. If that was the case, I would of swapped to Diddy Kong or other speedsters long ago. Maybe you can even challenge some of the Charizard mains around him to try to improve your match up against this lizard.
He didn't do any sliding rock smashes, no pivot grabs,...he wasnt hard 2 read when I approached he just turned tables on me. At the beginning of the matches he used flamethrower...used all moves including specials
Note: Had good offstage game, also only took 30%~ percentage the whole time ;(

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Can't hurt picking him up as a secondary character. He is a good character despite what people say though he does take practice, not a pick up and play character like Diddy.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Can't hurt picking him up as a secondary character. He is a good character despite what people say though he does take practice, not a pick up and play character like Diddy.
Just did and I'm a natural 4th time playing him ever :)

Last edited:

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
since i cant find a better topic to ask this question, is zard actually terrible, or is he suffering first impression megaman stuff?
First impression stuff. I feel like bowser stole all of his thunder when the game came out and he still hasn't fully recovered. Has a chari main I've been here since day one and I can tell you that it's getting slowly better though. People used to think he was like 2nd from the bottom (lol) and it's rare to find someone that thinks that way. I think it's also cause zard is bit... Awkward the first time you use him. It took me a few games to get used to his weight. That could also be a factor.

All in all I feel like charizard is a great character. Not godly but great. His mets game isn't developed nearly as much as some characters, so with the right discoveries he could be even better ( flare blitz cancel tech pleaaaaase)

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
First impression stuff. I feel like bowser stole all of his thunder when the game came out and he still hasn't fully recovered. Has a chari main I've been here since day one and I can tell you that it's getting slowly better though. People used to think he was like 2nd from the bottom (lol) and it's rare to find someone that thinks that way. I think it's also cause zard is bit... Awkward the first time you use him. It took me a few games to get used to his weight. That could also be a factor.

All in all I feel like charizard is a great character. Not godly but great. His mets game isn't developed nearly as much as some characters, so with the right discoveries he could be even better ( flare blitz cancel tech pleaaaaase)
:0 Charizard is a beast, unless have not gone against any good players or bad matchups. :/

About his weight..lolwut, guess people have different "tastes" ..4 me Charizard is an easy character maybe you are not used to his tiny multiple jumps? Or maybe because you play Link 2 much Zard feels heavy :/

Last edited:

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
:0 Charizard is a beast, unless have not gone against any good players or bad matchups. :/

About his weight..lolwut, guess people have different "tastes" ..4 me Charizard is an easy character maybe you are not used to his tiny multiple jumps? Or maybe because you play Link 2 much Zard feels heavy :/
Haha I do play link a lot too but not as. Much as charizard. I'm used to his weight now but at first it was just strange. Like his falling speed and aerial acceleration are real slow, but then he has one of the fastest dashes in the game.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Haha I do play link a lot too but not as. Much as charizard. I'm used to his weight now but at first it was just strange. Like his falling speed and aerial acceleration are real slow, but then he has one of the fastest dashes in the game.
Tru kinda floaty but it seems all characters in SmashU are floaty :/

Wonder_Chef

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-1632-4146
I'm pretty new to Smash 4, only been playing for about a month, but I'm actually struggling to understand how Charizard isn't really good.

Are there some fundamental tools that I don't understand that are making me feel this way? It seems to me like he has:

• A great Jab Chain
  • Above average ground movement speed, which paired with his weight and damage seems really good. I want to call his run fast, but I'm not sure of the flying animation is tricking me into thinking it's faster than it is.
  • People call him slow, but I feel like his movement and attack startups are all average or faster speed. I can't find anything slow about him aside from his normal falling speed.
  • Super high kill potential off of reads using his smashes, with the weight to let you guess wrong a few times on those reads, plus they have great range.
  • Rock Smash which seems like a great move to condition the opponent to respect you
  • Flare Blitz which seems like it has the strongest kill potential for a move of it's range and speed.
  • Short Hop Neutral Air seems like a really good safe approach that covers a lot of angles and is active for a long time
  • Up B seems like it has the speed, killing power, and usefulness out of shield that ZSS's Up B has, and that gets a ton of mileage. I think Char's jabs combo into it at later percents too, right?
  • Great speed and range on his tilts
  • At least average range grab and dash grab
  • His offstage game seems good to me, F Air has a lot more range than it looks like, and D Air spikes super well.
  • Edgeguarding seems strong to me too, D Smash has a huge hitbox and hits below the ledge, Rock Smash means you can try and condition them not to attack you while landing.
  • It seems like he has an abnormally fast recovery out of his run animation? Like you can let go of run and do jabs or a down smash almost as fast as if you did a dash attack. Not sure if this is normal for more characters than him, but I know the other characters I play have way longer run recoveries.

I guess the weaknesses I see are:

• Not amazing Recovery, but it doesn't seem terrible since at least his Up B has a hitbox the whole way through
  • Not a lot of combos out of throws
  • Not a lot of true combos in general
  • Not the greatest air to air game, but I feel like if a character is bullying you in that department, you at least have Rock Smash to make them respect you more
  • Bad mobility on his double (and triple) jump

I'm not trying to say I'm right about all of these things, they're just my observations and I would love to know which of these are wrong, or if I'm putting too much weight in these aspects when there are other aspects that make characters strong at a higher level of play. Like I said, I'm still pretty new. Would love any feedback.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really like how Flamethrower can be used to cancel projectiles as Samus's small missiles, Pikachu's Neutral B, Mario, Luigi and Dr.Mario's B moves, ect. It outranges them to and gives them aprox the same damage as they would give you with their projectiles. I feel that's definitely an advantage Charizard has in certain matchups.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I really like how Flamethrower can be used to cancel projectiles as Samus's small missiles, Pikachu's Neutral B, Mario, Luigi and Dr.Mario's B moves, ect. It outranges them to and gives them aprox the same damage as they would give you with their projectiles. I feel that's definitely an advantage Charizard has in certain matchups.
But, he always has an advantage because Ash is with him in his heart ~<3

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty new to Smash 4, only been playing for about a month, but I'm actually struggling to understand how Charizard isn't really good.

Are there some fundamental tools that I don't understand that are making me feel this way? It seems to me like he has:

• A great Jab Chain
  • Above average ground movement speed, which paired with his weight and damage seems really good. I want to call his run fast, but I'm not sure of the flying animation is tricking me into thinking it's faster than it is.
  • People call him slow, but I feel like his movement and attack startups are all average or faster speed. I can't find anything slow about him aside from his normal falling speed.
  • Super high kill potential off of reads using his smashes, with the weight to let you guess wrong a few times on those reads, plus they have great range.
  • Rock Smash which seems like a great move to condition the opponent to respect you
  • Flare Blitz which seems like it has the strongest kill potential for a move of it's range and speed.
  • Short Hop Neutral Air seems like a really good safe approach that covers a lot of angles and is active for a long time
  • Up B seems like it has the speed, killing power, and usefulness out of shield that ZSS's Up B has, and that gets a ton of mileage. I think Char's jabs combo into it at later percents too, right?
  • His offstage game seems good to me, F Air has a lot more range than it looks like, and D Air spikes super well.
  • Edgeguarding seems strong to me too, D Smash has a huge hitbox and hits below the ledge, Rock Smash means you can try and condition them not to attack you while landing.
  • It seems like he has an abnormally fast recovery out of his run animation? Like you can let go of run and do jabs or a down smash almost as fast as if you did a dash attack. Not sure if this is normal for more characters than him, but I know the other characters I play have way longer run recoveries.

• Not amazing Recovery, but it doesn't seem terrible since at least his Up B has a hitbox the whole way through
  • Not the greatest air to air game, but I feel like if a character is bullying you in that department, you at least have Rock Smash to make them respect you more

I'm not trying to say I'm right about all of these things, they're just my observations and I would love to know which of these are wrong, or if I'm putting too much weight in these aspects when there are other aspects that make characters strong at a higher level of play. Like I said, I'm still pretty new. Would love any feedback.
You forgot that his Forward Smash hits below the ledge as well and since he is invincible during the active hit box it's going to go through anyone's recovery that doesn't have super armour and KO them at low percents. It takes practice to get the timing down but it's an extremely powerful tool to have.

Last edited:

Wonder_Chef

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-1632-4146
See the thing is we're all making him sound almost too good.

I want to know why top players totally passed on this character. He honestly does seem insanely strong to me, but I trust top player judgement to a point, so I feel like we can't be totally right about all of this.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Many of the top players want to play with character that have true combos and Charizard only has a few. Also he requires more effort to use compared to the current top characters which isn't worth it to some because 99% of the top players are playing to win since they play Smash for a living so they want a character that's going to guarantee them some positive results.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738

• A great Jab Chain

You are absolutely correct. The people who disagree are just those who are either too afraid to disagree with the general consensus, or know nothing about Charizard and therefore can only rely on the general consensus for their judgment of this character. I would also like to mention that he can score a KO at a reasonable % far easier than any other character to my knowledge, due to the sheer number of moves he can use to KO at around 120% or below, such as:

- Going for a hard read with Flare Blitz, or simply throw it out unexpectedly while they are dashing towards you or rolling away from you at high % for a KO. Flare Blitz is ridiculously easy to hit with as long as you don't spam it like most Charizard players do for some unknown reasons.
- Dthrow at the edge of the stage at about 120% (easy to do by dash grabbing someone as they climb up from the ledge, or shieldgrabbing someone as they do their ledge get up attack). If a character has a kill throw, that automatically makes it INCREDIBLY easy for them to score a KO, since all it takes to perform a kill throw is a grab, and grabs are significantly easier to land in this game than strong aerial attacks or smash attacks, which often require a hard read to land, especially since grabs go through shields and can be used out of a shield. And unlike in Melee, there is generally not enough hitstun in this game for characters to be able to hit someone with a safe and easy-to-land combo starter and then combo someone into a KO aerial attack, making kill throws even more valuable in this game.
- Punishing a roll with Dsmash
- Gimping with Fair, Dair, or even Nair (see this video)
- Gimping with a move as safe as Flamethrower against specific characters like R.O.B., Little Mac, Diddy Kong (if he tries to recover with Up B), Villager (if they try to recover with Up B), Ness and Yoshi.
- Usmash

I know that some characters such as Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede and Ike have moves that have much higher knockback than any of Charizard's moves, but I'll note here that when I say Charizard KOs far more easily than any other character, I am talking about the combination of the knockback on Charizard's moves with the ease of actually landing those moves against a competent opponent in a 1-on-1. Moves like Bowser's Fsmash are incredibly difficult to hit a good player with.

Wonder_Chef

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-1632-4146
Also his Uair can kill from pretty low percentages based on where you are on the stage. Even heavy characters die from pretty low at like 110%. Jigglypuff dies from like 80%, hahaha.

Oh and his Up B has some pretty insane killing power considering how great it is as a punish.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Also his Uair can kill from pretty low percentages based on where you are on the stage. Even heavy characters die from pretty low at like 110%. Jigglypuff dies from like 80%, hahaha.

Oh and his Up B has some pretty insane killing power considering how great it is as a punish.
You can even slide it by abusing Charizard's super-quick shield out of dash, then OoSing it :D

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
I feel like since its the beginning of a new metagame, top players will gravitate towards faster characters which is why Charizard has been left in the dark even though he has obvious potential. Once the metagame evolves, slower but more methodical characters will be more viable hopefully. Look at D3 from brawl. He was in lower mid but then after awhile when the metagame evolved he became high tier. I hope the same will happen with Charizard. There's so much we haven't discovered with him.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I feel like since its the beginning of a new metagame, top players will gravitate towards faster characters which is why Charizard has been left in the dark even though he has obvious potential. Once the metagame evolves, slower but more methodical characters will be more viable hopefully. Look at D3 from brawl. He was in lower mid but then after awhile when the metagame evolved he became high tier. I hope the same will happen with Charizard. There's so much we haven't discovered with him.
AHEM (DKWill)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think the problem is that people try to play Charizard like they do the other fatties but he doesn't play their game-play like they do which causes people to put him as bad. I think Zard's play-style is actually pretty different. Zard is, imo, a character more about positional advantage, reactions, and raw fundamentals then anything else. If I were to compare him to another character's play-style I would say he is closer to how Marth plays in this game but does a better general job at what Marth is suppose to do at this game and is more consistent.

Wonder_Chef

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-1632-4146
I think the problem is that people try to play Charizard like they do the other fatties but he doesn't play their game-play like they do which causes people to put him as bad. I think Zard's play-style is actually pretty different. Zard is, imo, a character more about positional advantage, reactions, and raw fundamentals then anything else. If I were to compare him to another character's play-style I would say he is closer to how Marth plays in this game but does a better general job at what Marth is suppose to do at this game and is more consistent.
I know from experience that whenever a fighting game comes out, large characters are automatically considered slow tanky bruisers, even if that isn't the case at all. I hear sooo many people say Charizard is slow, but I don't see almost anything slow about him. If you took his moveset/hitboxes and put them directly onto a model of a character that looks fast, people would currently think that the character is average or fast speed.

A great example of this is looking at Falco who got so much slower this game (almost definitely slower than Charizard to me) and ask people to compare his speed to Charizard. I bet 90% of people would say Falco is faster, even though he isn't (at least in my eyes)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Charizard has the 8th fastest run speed... That's about it. In walking speed he is 19th which is more in the mediocre range, 41st in air speed, and fall speed/fast fall speed are both 31st-32nd. For comparison Falco is 37th runner, 10th walker, 38-40th air speed, 5th fall speed, and 6th fastest fall speed. Also keep in mind that while Charizard's attacks come out decently they have rather big end-lag to them (much like Marth, actually) where Falco still has a lot of his attacks that come out decently fast and end decently fast.

His play-style isn't as obvious as the other fatties and because h is a fatty people try to play him like the other fatties and he obviously just doesn't play their game as good as them which then makes them think he is bad. Once the play-style is figured out he actually becomes pretty damn good though.

@ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos could probably clarify a bit better for me.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I don't think I need to tell the Charizards how to play Charizard, but I will point out that nowhere on this page of gushing over Charizard's good points do I see mention of his bair. That tail is extraordinarily long and hits extremely hard; it's one of the best ranged punish moves in the game and probably the single best one usable in the air. I actually feel like Charizard is decent air to air in general in large part because this move exists (his other aerials really aren't that bad either, but this one is just amazing).

Charizard is definitely substantially slower than a typical character (just side by side him with someone actually average like Kirby and it's pretty obvious), but he's fast enough for what he needs to do and has enough different good tools (the massive grab, the good jab, the good utilt/usmash that anti-air everything, the ranged power moves especially bair, Flamethrower for slower neutral, Flare Blitz or preferably Dragon Rush for its nonsense, Rock Smash for armor, good recovery combined with his weight to come to incredible survivability...) to be able to handle every situation. I view Charizard as a sleeper high tier and as the best heavy. I think a lot of his fundamentals are shared with the other heavies but he can do more stuff than them which makes him mostly better even if he doesn't actually hit quite as hard as DK or Bowser. The usual heavy problem is that situations come up in which their limited options just kinda screw them or at least force them to work incredibly hard to win, but I kinda think Charizard has enough options that that shouldn't really happen to him.

Wonder_Chef

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-1632-4146
As far as speed, Charizard's jab seems as fast as anybody else's, his Up B seems to come out really fast, his running attack seems fast, his tilts seem average speed, his smashes seem average speed (Up Smash is pretty fast though)

The only move of his that seems significantly slow to me are his Rock Smash, which is supposed to be slow for the armor.

His aerial speed is pretty slow, but everything else seems pretty good speed.

Is that the big thing that makes Charizard bad? Aerial speed? Maybe I didn't consider that as important as it actually is. I notice now that all of the top tiers flow through the air real fast.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
fatties.~<3

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So I have a question. If customs are on do you guys prefer dragon rush or flare blitz and why?
Dragon Rush.

Because it is faster, safer, better neutral tool, covers your landing better, and it can kill at lolwtf moments because of how it drags people with it (you can drag them to blast-zone and let the final hit kill them at low percents). You lose out on a punish tool that can punish from like the other end of the stage and kill for an incredible neutral tool that can still be used to punish and can still kill if positioned right. It's a no brainer for me.

I also prefer Rock Hurl over Rock Smash because of frame 1 Super Armor.

Last edited:

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Even Aero complained about Dragon Rush at one time. The speed it comes out at and the distance it travels makes it an amazing punish tool that's also much, much safer than Blitz. It punishes most every form of lag, and as Mim stated it kills at crazy percents while not being a 'lol stock' if you miss it.

Top Bottom