• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Center Stage

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
There needs to be more PG'ers posting in the PG's. We need topics that are more conducive to debating instead of opinion-based dialogue/arguments.
Edited for a purpose. Read more below.

Since the PG was a lively place when I decided to step in (this is now five months ago :confused:), I can give you a few pointers on how you can make the place a little better. Of course, if you need more, my IM info is readily available for you to ask questions:

1. Read periodicals, especially newspapers. You can easily find five topics worth debating in a newspaper. Find one you like, and go from there.
  2. After reading said periodical and picking a topic, choose a side. It doesn't matter which side.
  3. Once you pick a side, defend that side. That doesn't mean anecdotes or personal stories (you should use these like you should eat candy, sparingly), it means using verifiable sources. Find all the info to make your claim rock solid.
  4. Once you follow steps 1-3, more PGers will naturally want to reply, which leads to more buzz-->CK notices you-->great profit. :)
I'm not tooting my horn or anything, but if you want to see some of this in action, please feel free to take a look @ some of the articles I made while in the PG. You may find it helpful on how to debate well (especially with the America & Science thread).

Good luck!

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Meh. GS is overrated IMO.

:O
I think your face is overrated :mad:

alternate response:

Why don't we have a debate about it :mad:

Nuclear Power: Bad / Good
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256928
One World Government V Individual Governments
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258122
Should Driving and Talking be Illegal
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249361

Those are some more recent threads, I'm pretty scattered about the rest of the threads though
Can I be reviewed / considered for Debate Hall?
You had some decent posts in the nuclear power thread, but, they were not related to the thread topic/argument. The question was "is nuclear power good or bad?" and you answered with "geothermal power is good." If you want to make a case for geothermal, you could start a topic on it.

In the One world government thread, it's impossible to judge anything because it doesn't have any replies (ie, you haven't been forced to defend your position and address criticisms). Driving and talking thread you had a few good points, but it was not too convincing.

I think if you polish a few things up, you could be ready for the DH soon.

Also, I just read this and the username/thread title combo is amusing.

Ryan Ludovic

Smash Journeyman
I think your face is overrated :mad:

alternate response:

Why don't we have a debate about it :mad:

You had some decent posts in the nuclear power thread, but, they were not related to the thread topic/argument. The question was "is nuclear power good or bad?" and you answered with "geothermal power is good." If you want to make a case for geothermal, you could start a topic on it.

In the One world government thread, it's impossible to judge anything because it doesn't have any replies (ie, you haven't been forced to defend your position and address criticisms). Driving and talking thread you had a few good points, but it was not too convincing.

I think if you polish a few things up, you could be ready for the DH soon.

Also, I just read this and the username/thread title combo is amusing.
Thanks for your honest, and informative response.
I also noticed the awesome thread name / poster and lold
well played smashboards :p

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Don't double post.

Reason: All the PGers got lazy and stopped posting anything. I also got tired of making threads and two people replaying to them in the PG as well. Someone really needs to step up and become a DH proper. Only two have been let in in the past four months, and I'm one of them.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I dunno... I was actually excited at first, but now I'm kinda disenchanted. I think it has something to do with the fact that I really don't have anything I feel passionately about to debate currently. I can enter INTO arguments no sweat, when it suits me to, but to create one, I would first have to dig deep to find something... and I have not found anything recently that really and truly hit home.

We'll see what the new year brings. This is break time for a lot of posters also, and I can see the non-smash side of the boards being a little more quiet... when school picks back up I'm sure more ideas will flow into the PG.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
off topic but what the heck are 107 people viewing in the DH, all guests. ok 84 now, but it was 107 like an hour or 2 ago...

Mewter

Smash Master
There are still 37 viewing the Debate Hall right now (all guests).

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that is unnaturally large (it might also be worth mentioning the 600-800 users active on Smashboards spiked to 1200 recently)?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Don't double post.

Reason: All the PGers got lazy and stopped posting anything. I also got tired of making threads and two people replaying to them in the PG as well. Someone really needs to step up and become a DH proper. Only two have been let in in the past four months, and I'm one of them.
Yeah, I'm kind of confused as to why there has been such a drought in DH acceptance.

I ceased posting primarily because it requires far too much effort on a forum.

I got sick of it after a month and 1 week of trying to get in.

Besides, Aqua only got in for the colour of the name, which is rather pathetic anyway.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master

Besides, Aqua only got in for the colour of the name, which is rather pathetic anyway.
It took me six and a half weeks to get in before I did. Your point being...

It doesn't require much effort to get into the DH. Just follow the steps I have listed ad nauseam here, and you will find yourself in.

Also, let's not delve into any personal attacks on the ulterior motives of fellow DHers here. I don't think that's a very good look...

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion

Yeah, it took me roughly 6 weeks to get into the Debate Hall, and I would have kept debating even if it took longer. Why? Because I like debating. I'm not part of the DH just for the name color and title. If you stop posting because you hadn't gotten into the DH yet, then I wouldn't be too sure that you'd be an active debater in the future. Once you're in, there's nothing really to strive for, except to gain knowledge through debates. So you'd better like debating if you want to be a debater.

All that being said, I held the opinion that you were ready for the DH at the time, and if I remember correctly, I openly expressed that opinion.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
What of CK's thing? He said 5 but there's only been 2 responders so far, myself and Dre, and both of us clearly want in, and can hold our own in a debate.

Also this is totally unrelated (kinda) but what if... the title "Smash Debater" was only viable for those that actually participate. I can name a few (though I won't cause I don't wanna seem ... rude) so-called Smash Debaters that bear the title, and aren't even that good at debating, lol let alone showing up IN the DH... yeah? Something like... oh I dunno, x% of your posts have to be made in the DH to retain the title? That way people that go away for 6 weeks for any reason aren't kicked out, because it's posts that are being considered not logins ... dunno if the site admins could even craft such a database, but maybe... the post average value in your user CP is a decent statistic for example, but though it's accurate it's not precise as in myself started out posting little to none then lots, so now I just barely 'average' a post/day.

Uh... yeah, but for this, like, maybe... user A posts ... 20 times in a week. So long as... 5% or 1 of those posts was in the DH, at 12 AM SUNDAY EST the site passes over that user, but if they posted 20 times and 0 posts in the DH, it catches that user, and removes the Smash Debater title. They would then have to rejoin through the PG, unless there are extenuating circumstances which would be reserved as a Moderator issue.

Thoughts?

Also to help stimulate action, I'd actually propose an idea that's been brought up before, I think... yeah I remember reading about it somewhere, but basically a Sticky where Temp Debaters can go into in the PG and ask questions about debate tactics, strategy, format, where they can even post bits of their threads for proofreading/feedback, this sort of thing. It could be useful in helping future DH members gain entrance, it could also provide more activity for DH members in general.

Thoughts on this??

I challenge any PGer to debate me on policy.

If you do well maybe CK will let you in.
Which policy? You bring it, I'll debate you.

RDK

Smash Hero
Guys, get over it. The DH is dead; has been for the better part of a year now.

I could post CP in here and none of the mods would even be around to care.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
That's plain sad.

I could go into my thoughts on the mods but I've been told not to so I won't. Anyone can PM me or something if they'd like to discuss it though.

I'm also still up for Riddle's idea of the mentoring of PG'ers, but I suppose it can't happen if no one's posting. Eh, this sucks.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well for instance I clicked "join" on the PG and my request got ignored basically, even after PM'ing a mod still got no response. It took weeks to get in. It wasn't until I actually asked another mod from a different board over AIM before I was in, and THAT only took 5 minutes, literally. One shouldn't expect this to be the trend, but if it is... that's bad, we don't all have moderator friends. If the DH mods are either too busy or don't care enough to keep up with requests to join, etc, then there's no doubt it'll have an effect on membership.

Also I would wager Riddle (thanks, Vrael I knew I remembered it from somewhere) is onto something... the PG has a tendency to be a playground more than a proving ground. Perhaps this would help folks feel more comfortable participating.

anything, pick it. Social, Fiscal, Foreign I'm bored and I want to debate policy with someone.
*spins the wheel*

Ok, foreign policy it is.

Source: China Ups the Ante in Internet Row With U.S.

Source: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's speech on Internet Freedom

Source: The future of “Public Diplomacy 2.0"

U.S. foreign policy on the freedom of information exchange is working towards "a single internet where all of humanity has equal access to knowledge and ideas" (Clinton). This, however is a polar opposite to policies maintained in Communist nations like China, who rely on the strict control of information, and especially over the Internet. What has started out as unfriendly banter seems to be escalating into strong political and business decisions which may ultimately lead to serious and unfavorable changes in foreign relations.

"The same networks that help organize movements for freedom also enable al Qaeda to spew hatred and incite violence against the innocent" (Clinton). China rebuts"it was America that initiated Internet warfare, using YouTube videos and Twitter micro-blog misinformation to split, incite, and sow discord between the conservative and reform factions…to bring about large-scale bloodshed in Iran" (WSJ).

Both ideas are only somewhat true. Clinton's assertion that terrorists use the internet for the spreading of hate is not inaccurate, but her placing of this fact in her speech is not without ramifications, subtly pointing a finger at nations who control the freedom of information for their own purposes. China strikes back with a "you did it first" mentality, which is not accurate, and yet holds some weight. The riots in Iran did get leaked out of the country by means of the Internet, and it was popularized by citizens of the United States. But our interest, at heart, was purely informational, and on the side of the citizens of Iran who got screwed out of a valid election. China would attempt to spin this somehow, but they fail to do so.

My point, however, is that the Chinese government has obviously taken Clinton's words as a direct attack on their ideology. To make things more difficult, Google, a fortune 500 company based in the United States, is now threatening to pull the plug on their operation in China, because of the censorship that goes on there. This will further be construed by China as a sign of retaliation for their ways. Clinton has basically used the Internet as a new mode of transportation in which to travel the globe and spread Americanism, from which the "freedom of information" ideology is strongly based. China and possibly other nations who exact measures of information suppression may band together against this new colonialism. It isn't too dissimilar to so-called coca-cola diplomacy. "It's easy to hate American companies like Coca Cola, often associated with the endless expansion of American businesses and the overall Americanization of the world [but] whatever framework the State Department adopts to execute their new public diplomacy initiatives, it has to make space for completely unexplored diplomatic treasures like Google." (Morozov). As we can see, it's not so much a treasure as it is another reason to get under China's skin. And worse, they may have a revolution on their hands. (It's about time!) is it? Can we afford to aid them if China turns their guns on its own citizens, like at Tienanmen Square? Not right now, we're too busy fighting in Afghanistan and -trying- to get out of Iraq. This is not the time to be poking China in the eye with a stick. Google is acting irresponsibly, and Clinton though doing her job to a "T" should review the U.S.'s ambitious political socialization techniques and avoid moving ahead too quickly.

Aesir

Smash Master
Guys, get over it. The DH is dead; has been for the better part of a year now.

I could post CP in here and none of the mods would even be around to care.
You give up to easily.

Okay since this request is actually being taken seriously I'll set down some guide rules before I start. (I can't actually reply now because I'm in class and very tired atm.

1. The debate remains one on one, this is simply to gauge the skill of Pger in question.

2. the exchange will go on for a period of two weeks, it may be extended.

3. After which I'll decide if I'll vouch for your inclusion or not. (I'll base this on the coherency of your argument. You don't necessarily have to prove me wrong but if you can more points to you.)

Those are mainly the three rules, if CK or any mod has a problem with this than they can just say so and I won't do the vouching thing. In which case only rules 1 and 2 apply, since I'm sure no ones going to object to DH/PG Activity.

Anyway with all that said I'll reply asap, this should be interesting.

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
I have a strange feeling the DH would garner alot more applicants and interest if it were password protected/only viewable for members...

RDK

Smash Hero
I like Ajna. I don't agree with everything that he says, but I think he deserves to be let in.

Sucumbio seems competent enough also.

None of the new crop really wowed me though; they could all use some practice.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I like Ajna. I don't agree with everything that he says, but I think he deserves to be let in.

Sucumbio seems competent enough also.

None of the new crop really wowed me though; they could all use some practice.
Ok no offence guys, but I think the DHers need to get off their high horses.

It's not as if the DHers are drastically superior debaters to the PGers (unless there were some reaaaallly bad PGers before I came).

In my thread, all the DHers did was slightly condescend me and misunderstand my argument, without providing me any real adequate counter-theories.

Sucumbio, the PGer, was the only person who undertsood what I was trying to say, and was the only person who provided me adequate counter-thoeries.

I'm aware that this statement will probably jeopardise any chance I had of getting in, but it's not as if the step up to the DH is that significant that it's a big loss anyway.

Of course I'd enjoy being in there, but if all they do is just talk about how PGers are intellectually inferior to them and criticise people because they don't understand their arguments, then it's not worth the effort. It's not as if the DHers are established professors in the academic community who embody the summit of modern academia.

The fact that you said Ajna deserves to be in there just proves my point. No offence to the guy, he's probably a good chap, but he's the one person in recent PG activity I wouldn't let in.

In both threads he's started, he's drastically straw-manned the arguments he's opposing to make his arguments sound better. Whether his straw-manning was calculated and intentional, or it was a result of him not being learned in the arguments he was opposing, if you're going a selective DH, that level of debating shouldn't really be accepted in my opinion. He also openly states that he doubts anyone can prove him wrong.

I know I'm probably offended/angered the guy, which I apologise for.

If I get criticised for criticising him, that'd just prove my point even further, because DHers do that all the time, but when a PGer does it it's out of line.

Ajna

Smash Apprentice
Dre,
While you have not directly called yourself a part of this intellectual metagame you coined (which by the way, is quantifying intelligence in a way that disgusts me) , it is heavily implied by most of your posts. You are simply stating opinions that are contrasting to mine, and claiming that your information is superior. From what I can see, your arguments have a fraction of the clout you believe they do. I do not wish to offend you, or make myself out to be your enemy, and im not about the childish practice of attacking a person rather than their points like you seem to have forced my hand into doing, but while you are attacking the "high-horses" of the DH, you should perhaps examine your own.

additionally, my claim that no one could prove me wrong was in the original post in the pool room and was edited out in the PG discussion.. and admittedly originally a poor decision and choice of words.

RDK

Smash Hero

It's not as if the DHers are drastically superior debaters to the PGers (unless there were some reaaaallly bad PGers before I came).

In my thread, all the DHers did was slightly condescend me and misunderstand my argument, without providing me any real adequate counter-theories.

Sucumbio, the PGer, was the only person who undertsood what I was trying to say, and was the only person who provided me adequate counter-thoeries.

I'm aware that this statement will probably jeopardise any chance I had of getting in, but it's not as if the step up to the DH is that significant that it's a big loss anyway.

Of course I'd enjoy being in there, but if all they do is just talk about how PGers are intellectually inferior to them and criticise people because they don't understand their arguments, then it's not worth the effort. It's not as if the DHers are established professors in the academic community who embody the summit of modern academia.

The fact that you said Ajna deserves to be in there just proves my point. No offence to the guy, he's probably a good chap, but he's the one person in recent PG activity I wouldn't let in.

In both threads he's started, he's drastically straw-manned the arguments he's opposing to make his arguments sound better. Whether his straw-manning was calculated and intentional, or it was a result of him not being learned in the arguments he was opposing, if you're going a selective DH, that level of debating shouldn't really be accepted in my opinion. He also openly states that he doubts anyone can prove him wrong.

If I get criticised for criticising him, that'd just prove my point even further, because DHers do that all the time, but when a PGer does it it's out of line.
I never said they were better than you, or that they were even good debaters. I said that they were competent and that I'd allow them in; I would do the same for you.

It seems some PGers have a misconception about the admissions process and what it takes to get invited to the Debate Hall. We value coherency as well as honesty. All we really ask for is for people to be civil and realize when they are wrong or have lost a debate. The DH is a place of learning, for all parties involved.

So unless someone is obviously or blatantly terrible, you'll probably get in.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
I never said they were better than you, or that they were even good debaters. I said that they were competent and that I'd allow them in; I would do the same for you.

It seems some PGers have a misconception about the admissions process and what it takes to get invited to the Debate Hall. We value coherency as well as honesty. All we really ask for is for people to be civil and realize when they are wrong or have lost a debate. The DH is a place of learning, for all parties involved.

So unless someone is obviously or blatantly terrible, you'll probably get in.
Hmm, would that mean that I would be let in?

I've posted in several threads and made one of my own:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263310
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263144
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=260783

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'd vote for ye. And me.

Save us, CK. Save us from ourselves and our obscurity-driven madness.

o n where did Aesir get to?

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion

You can't really put all of the DH into one group. Many of us such as AltF4, Eor, and I have even been lobbying to let more PGers in. Many of us never criticize anyone. Also I don't think we claim to be "the summit of modern academia"; I've never seen anyone make or insinuate such a claim. Please don't over-generalize.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I didn't really see any condescending posts by anyone. If there was, please quote what you thought was condescending. Possibly what you interpreted as not listening was in actuality someone just trying to clarify their point or a definition. Again, I didn't read all of it, so don't pin me down on this statement.

Yeah, also personal attacks on other people on the PG are really unnecessary.

As for my support, I give it to Sucumbio. I don't think Ajna has been around quite long enough. Dre, I was considering you earlier because you gave a good effort in your thread, posted legibly, and were fairly well-mannered. However, you've now directly called-out a fellow PG member and insulted the entire DH. You could have expressed your opinions in a more discreet and respectful manner. So I'm not counting you out yet, but posts like these (as you've acknowledged) don't help your chances.

On another note, I think you're not too bad either, Bob Jane T-Mart. Just keep up the activity. I remember you were around when I first started in the PG, then you kinda disappeared for a while. If you keep up the activity, I'll definitely keep you in mind.

Honestly, I think Sucumbio, Ajna, Dre., and Bob Jane T-Mart could all be viable selections for DH admission. Sucumbio is the only one I'd put in now, but give the others another few weeks and I'd consider them.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
On another note, I think you're not too bad either, Bob Jane T-Mart. Just keep up the activity. I remember you were around when I first started in the PG, then you kinda disappeared for a while. If you keep up the activity, I'll definitely keep you in mind.

Honestly, I think Sucumbio, Ajna, Dre., and Bob Jane T-Mart could all be viable selections for DH admission. Sucumbio is the only one I'd put in now, but give the others another few weeks and I'd consider them.
Thanks KrazyGlue, yeah about that disappearing... I probably should have said a temporary farewell to everyone. But any-who, I'm back hopefully to stay unless RL matters get in the way again.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Dre,
While you have not directly called yourself a part of this intellectual metagame you coined (which by the way, is quantifying intelligence in a way that disgusts me) , it is heavily implied by most of your posts. You are simply stating opinions that are contrasting to mine, and claiming that your information is superior. From what I can see, your arguments have a fraction of the clout you believe they do. I do not wish to offend you, or make myself out to be your enemy, and im not about the childish practice of attacking a person rather than their points like you seem to have forced my hand into doing, but while you are attacking the "high-horses" of the DH, you should perhaps examine your own.

additionally, my claim that no one could prove me wrong was in the original post in the pool room and was edited out in the PG discussion.. and admittedly originally a poor decision and choice of words.
Ajna I'm glad we can hanlde this in a civil way.

The problem I had with you is not that I think you're wrong, or that you have illogical beliefs, it's that you appear to straw-man arguments.

This is why I mention the intellectual metagame, what I'm trying to say is that the arguments that you decide to counter are straw-manned arguments and do not reflect the intellectual metagame.

You're trying to disprove various conclusions, yet you don't seem to understand the high-level premises that lead to those conlcusions.

And no I don't think I'm superior to anyone, that's why I'm here, for intellectual stimulation. If I thought I knew everything, which would be ignorant, I wouldn't be here.

I didn't write an over-2000 word post because I care way too much about a game board and I want to impsoe my knowledge on others, I did it to warm my mind up before uni kicks off again.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Sorry for the double post.

Also I don't think we claim to be "the summit of modern academia"; I've never seen anyone make or insinuate such a claim. Please don't over-generalize.
I never said anyone claimed that it was. I was just saying that the standard of debating in the DH is not that much higher than the PG that it's worth weeks of effort, whereas acception into a Hall at the summit of modern academia would be.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I didn't really see any condescending posts by anyone. If there was, please quote what you thought was condescending. Possibly what you interpreted as not listening was in actuality someone just trying to clarify their point or a definition. Again, I didn't read all of it, so don't pin me down on this statement.
Stating my thoughts on this will just cause unecessary banter. I will say again though that Sucumbio, ironically the PGer, provided the best opposition to me, I'd definitely recommend him for the DH.

Yeah, also personal attacks on other people on the PG are really unnecessary.

As for my support, I give it to Sucumbio. I don't think Ajna has been around quite long enough. Dre, I was considering you earlier because you gave a good effort in your thread, posted legibly, and were fairly well-mannered. However, you've now directly called-out a fellow PG member and insulted the entire DH. You could have expressed your opinions in a more discreet and respectful manner. So I'm not counting you out yet, but posts like these (as you've acknowledged) don't help your chances.
My post about Ajna wasn't intended as personal attack, but rather to address that I felt it was an injustice that he was held in high regard.

Also, I probably could not have made that post in a more civil way though. There was no aggression or name-calling, perhaps you envisioned it with an aggressive tone but it certainly wasn't meant that way.

Basically, the post was intended as a mature criticism of the DH, mainly the attitude of some of the DHers. I certainly am not the type to insult people personally out of spite.

Consider it constructive feedback from a PGer's perspective. I'm not saying all PGers agree with me, but unlike other PGers, I was able to make a post like that because the loss of DH acceptance is not of great significance to me.

Ajna

Smash Apprentice
Well all this silly bantering aside... does this thread still have the function that it was originally created for? If so... do we have to pick a subject that has yet to be debated about? I have found some threads on my topic of interest by doing a search but they are all quite old.... so anyway...

If the topic is any of my choosing without limitation... and any DH'ers feel like doing a 1-on-1... let me know and I will present the possibility of the topic.

Top Bottom