• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Center Stage

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Since there seems to be a slowing in our intake into the main Debate Hall, for whatever reason. I decided I will make a topic where if people feel they are ready to jump to the main Hall, they can post here and be checked out.

Note: The mods of the DH, and even some DHers, will grill you. Be ready to show evidence that you are ready for the main room.

Any takers?

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Considering this'll become a very busy topic, might as well pin it.

Great idea, Crimson King.

RDK

Smash Hero
Nice work CK. I'll start the grilling as soon as I find some free time.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I am willing to do what it takes. I would have posted more, but I'd end up posting in a topic that dies and then forget about it until a week later. Won't let that happen again.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Hey it is just me again. I have posted recently in the following threads and I am still wanting to become a Smash Debater.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243307
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240684&page=3
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243387
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243659

Also I had an idea that might make the Debate Hall a little bit more organized. The Brawl Character Boards divide into all of the characters and I think the Debate Hall should do the same but with different sections such as sports, world issues, other, etc. I don't know if it is possible but I am just wanting to help out the Debate Hall and Proving Grounds any way possible. Tell me what you think about the idea?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
What exactly do you need to make it into the main room?

Excellence in disputes, or just simply not being a immature user who thinks he is funny or cool?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ive been waiting for a response if I can get to the main room. Last time I asked you guys said I had to be in the temp debaters group and I was

Anyways Ive made 4 threads 3 of which were successful

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242419
Discussion on whether there should be advertisements in school or not

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240761
Discussion on the "evils" of disney

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243387
Discussion on the "dangers" of 2012

On arguments... well in IMO I have made some pretty good ones but I am always at least argued and defeated once in each thread.

I haven't been here long, but I think I am a pretty succesfull Debater. My arguements sometimes start off as being based off of prior knowledge, but I usually try my best to find the sources to back me up.

Currently, these are the debates where I have held my ground well. I'll keep debating, and add more posts with links as I go. Come my fellow Temp. Debaters, don't be lazy and give each other a good Debate!

Me debunking the Solar Flare/Cygnus X-3 Mutation Apocalypse theories.

Me debating "The Right Time to Kill" arguement.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Basically, call them into question, and if they address it, assess whether it's good enough. Don't rail them to oblivion, but make them think.

Well, where exactly is this cookout(grilling) going to take place? And when? And the topic? I'm sorry if I sound naggy, I'm just eager to Debate with the best of them.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Since I am off of work and school tomorrow. I will try to get everyone in this topic a fair shake. It's going to be in this thread, so be ready.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Oh, I see this now.

I was wondering why Crimson King was debating such pointless stances.

Yeah.

CK said there was a decline in new Debaters, so he was gonna "grill" us here: all or nothing. If you hold up your ground, BAM! into the DH.
If not, well....

But I guess it ain't happening.:mad:

He's gonna let us debate with the real Debaters, and if we hold our ground, we get insta-Dabatehood.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ha. He had said it was gonna happen here soon. But soon was as of the seventh of this month.
It's been a week.

GOD!

Smash Ace
I think the reason that people have been more reluctant to join the debate hall is because most people here seem to be liberal atheists who like to throw around the words "evidence" and "logic."

From reading through various debate hall threads, I see a lot of faulty logic and little done to correct it, seeing as all share the same viewpoint. And they also seem like just plain difficult people to deal with.
Just my honest opinion. Plus the "Devil's advocate" stances that the people take are pitiful. No understanding of the other side, and it is easily refuted, leading to a general feeling of superiority.

Just an observation. I hope this is taken to be constructive, as it is meant to be.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I think an easier way to grill would be to put a PG member with a DH member in their own vs thread with a selected topic.

How are we going to do all the grilling in this one topic? (Unless you have a grand idea that I do not know of)

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Okay so this is a speech of why I should be put into the Debate Hall.

First off I would like to thank Mewter and *(T.R.D.S.) for suggesting me being put into the Debate Hall, it means alot that you have acknowledge my posts and seen potential in me. I would also like to say that I don't post for the sack of posting and if I do post it is only when I can bring something to the table. I have been active in the PG and if I was allowed into the Debate Hall I would be just as active, if not even more. My main strategy in debating is to try and see both sides of the agrument. This would allow me to see the pros and cons of both agruments and therfore I would decide on the better option and debate it. If I was a Smash Debater I would never take it for granted because it would mean alot to me and the pink name is just a reminded of what is to be lost if I did not respect it. The DH is not as active as it was before and I would try to bring new, fresh ideas to attract more members to become a Smash Debaters. To me a Smash Debater is someone with intelligence, shows repsect and has earned their title with pride. I believe I should become a Debater and if I do I will repsect it and have pride within this accomplishment. Thank you for your time in reading this and hopefully you will see me in the Debate Hall.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I think the reason that people have been more reluctant to join the debate hall is because most people here seem to be liberal atheists who like to throw around the words "evidence" and "logic."

From reading through various debate hall threads, I see a lot of faulty logic and little done to correct it, seeing as all share the same viewpoint. And they also seem like just plain difficult people to deal with.
Just my honest opinion. Plus the "Devil's advocate" stances that the people take are pitiful. No understanding of the other side, and it is easily refuted, leading to a general feeling of superiority.

Just an observation. I hope this is taken to be constructive, as it is meant to be.
Bah, don't generalize: I am libertarian Atheist.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Lol I like the idea of a Temp Debater versus some1 already into the debate hall thread, and I volunteer myself.

Btw God! I'm a liberal atheist get at me. (I want to debate something religious with God plz make a thread for me Crimson lol)

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So am I the only Catholic guy in the PG? It seems like everybody here is an Athiest. lol
I don't think it really matters disclosing religious beliefs in a debate topic, since we'll all have to take a neutral stance when debating if we want to prove a point... Atheists will deny readings from the bible if they are well-studied in a human's psychological limitations... Like for example, not one atheist would take a punch from a guy to the cheek, then turn the other cheek and let the guy punch it too, then forgive them for it. They'll most definitely jump on them and beat the hell out of their bodies, it's our natural instinct to be defensive and defend ourselves if we didn't deserve the punches in the first place!

I'm catholic, by the way. :lick:

I don't think I'll take juts yet. I joined the PG yesterday practically (did my first 3 posts), I think it's too soon to ask for entry to the DH.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Bah, don't generalize: I am libertarian Atheist.
Oh crap. There goes my theory lol..

Lol I like the idea of a Temp Debater versus some1 already into the debate hall thread, and I volunteer myself.

Btw God! I'm a liberal atheist get at me. (I want to debate something religious with God plz make a thread for me Crimson lol)
How can you debate something metaphysical? There's no hard evidence (by definition), so you'll end up ranting about how religion is so "bad." which totally proves that there's no God...

No one can prove God does or doesn't exist. Debates use facts. Let's reason. Only speculations and experiences.

Lolz. I'll explain new ideas and theories about people to you and you can do the same with me. Then I'll actually enjoy posting in here instead of it being some giant fight, which religious "debates" turn into much too quickly nowadays.

Seriously though, I want to talk and share what I know. But not at the expense of having half-baked statistics and assumptions thrown at me.
It could be fun!

Riddle

Smash Lord
God! said:
How can you debate something metaphysical? There's no hard evidence (by definition), so you'll end up ranting about how religion is so "bad." which totally proves that there's no God...

No one can prove God does or doesn't exist. Debates use facts. Let's reason. Only speculations and experiences.

Lolz. I'll explain new ideas and theories about people to you and you can do the same with me. Then I'll actually enjoy posting in here instead of it being some giant fight, which religious "debates" turn into much too quickly nowadays.

Seriously though, I want to talk and share what I know. But not at the expense of having half-baked statistics and assumptions thrown at me.
It could be fun!
Wow, nice, a catholic/christian that doesn't try to convert me.I went to a catholic school for two years and like, everyone there tryed to convert me.

Hmm, so we couldn't have a religious debate, because we would agree that the concept of a God is pretty much inherently unprovable. I still want to debate you about something though. I don't know what it would be though.

omnicloud7strife

Smash Apprentice
Uh. Weren't we here to talk about why we should be at the Debate Hall? You all seem to be talking about something totally unrelated... >_>;;

I want to be a debater, but I'm new. I feel I can prove myself more over a bit more time. Would I hold a debate with a regular debater? Sure. I'd love to. Will I say, "I demand this," or anything to that effect? No. You can determine, on your time, if you think I should hold a debate with someone that's been accepted. Anyways, thought we should kinda... refocus.

~Omni~

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
^ Same here. But thing is that I have a sort of..... confidentiality issue. I always get kinda scared playing with the big guys and screw it up someway are another...

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Uh. Weren't we here to talk about why we should be at the Debate Hall? You all seem to be talking about something totally unrelated... >_>;;

I want to be a debater, but I'm new. I feel I can prove myself more over a bit more time. Would I hold a debate with a regular debater? Sure. I'd love to. Will I say, "I demand this," or anything to that effect? No. You can determine, on your time, if you think I should hold a debate with someone that's been accepted. Anyways, thought we should kinda... refocus.

~Omni~
Just keep posting and pretty soon your name will blow up. ;)
Quality, not quantity, of posts is key.

^ Same here. But thing is that I have a sort of..... confidentiality issue. I always get kinda scared playing with the big guys and screw it up someway are another...
Just keep working on it. You'll get there. :)

GOD!

Smash Ace
Wow, nice, a catholic/christian that doesn't try to convert me.I went to a catholic school for two years and like, everyone there tryed to convert me.

Hmm, so we couldn't have a religious debate, because we would agree that the concept of a God is pretty much inherently unprovable. I still want to debate you about something though. I don't know what it would be though.
Are you that surprised?
I used to think converting people was like my job.
I guess most Christians don't realize that they are supposed to witness, not convert. I just try and look for truth and share what I know.
Seriously though, I have a lot of really chill Christian friends who live their lives as examples, and not through words. I wish you knew them.

How about health care or something? I'll have to brush up a lot, but I could take a stance on that. Capital punishment.. kind of cliched and hazy.. Maybe:

-Birth control (and its availibility)
- abortion
-Immigration

I'm up for anything.

omnicloud7strife

Smash Apprentice
Are you that surprised?
I used to think converting people was like my job.
I guess most Christians don't realize that they are supposed to witness, not convert. I just try and look for truth and share what I know.
Seriously though, I have a lot of really chill Christian friends who live their lives as examples, and not through words. I wish you knew them.

How about health care or something? I'll have to brush up a lot, but I could take a stance on that. Capital punishment.. kind of cliched and hazy.. Maybe:

-Birth control (and its availibility)
- abortion
-Immigration

I'm up for anything.
Good job on not being an extremist. Props for that.

For the record, the 'debate' about healthcare REALLY can't even be had until there's a bill on the table. Right now, we've got the media just looking for a story. And, a lot of the time, trying to scare people.

I like your other ideas though. Since you're Christian, I'm somewhat interested in how you view these things. I have an idea as to how you would, because I can think Christian (as I've said before, I went to Catholic school until 8th grade, and church till I was 14, which was Episcopalian), but I've stopped BEING Christian. So, your thoughts might be interesting. I just do hope you lay off the God talk. It tends to make me think less of your arguments (though, I suppose that's REALLY my fault. >>;;; ).

Good luck to you, sir.

~Omni~

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Capital punishment.. kind of cliched and hazy..
To anyone who supports capital punishment.
If you can refute my claim that the government should not have the right to kill its own citizens directly, under its power of the judiciary branch, classifying someone dying in prison as an indirect death by government, you will earn my respect and I'll will nominate you for the debate hall (though you will need more backing then just me).
I will not bring up the large cost of the death penalty in terms of money compared to prison. I will speak only in legal rights and ethical rights term, and expect the same of you.
I invite all Proving Ground challenges on this debate.

omnicloud7strife

Smash Apprentice
To anyone who supports capital punishment.
If you can refute my claim that the government should not have the right to kill its own citizens directly, under its power of the judiciary branch, classifying someone dying in prison as an indirect death by government, you will earn my respect and I'll will nominate you for the debate hall (though you will need more backing then just me).
I will not bring up the large cost of the death penalty in terms of money compared to prison. I will speak only in legal rights and ethical rights term, and expect the same of you.
I invite all Proving Ground challenges on this debate.
First and foremost: I do not support capital punishment.

Now then, as I've said a half dozen times, I will present my argument, as best I can, without being personal.

The first flaw with your argument, CRASHiC, is that you claim that the government should not have the right to kill its own citizens directly. But, there are people we kill, that are not citizens. Are you trying to suggest that we have the right to kill people that are from other nations, but not our own?

Continuing from there, let us assume that we are given the right to kill only those people that are actively hostile towards our nation. Then, do we not have the right to execute those who commit treason? Of course, they can only commit treason if they are a member of our nation, and act against its best interests. Thusly, you must either state that our nation should not engage anyone, under any circumstances, in potentially lethal engagements, or that we have the right to kill those that act against our best interests.

And, for the record, the cost of a prison is very high. It is far less expensive to execute someone, than it is to keep them alive for twenty five years or longer.

I do hope that this argument is effective enough for you to consider. Please, feel free to refute me.

~Omni~

Top Bottom