• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Center Stage

Riddle

Smash Lord
Yes I would kill him for the blood. (Yes this is my honest opinion) I am one of those people that go by the phrase "Kill one to save a thousand". This can apply to stem cells. If people walk in and are gonna die soon and they all need the different organs, just like your situation, then I say kill that one fetus but it will save many more lives in the process. Btw people Im trying to find out where to find a chart for this argument on stem cells. I look on google and I cant find any stem cell charts. Alright look. I know for a fact without the chart that stem cells have saved a thousand. Now lets take this into a situation. Lets say a big shot celebrity that everybody loves and adores just got a liver disease and he'll die if he doesnt get any help soon. And lets say that he also made advancements in technology (this is a fake situation it may not be likely)They just ran out of livers and nobody is willing to donate theirs. And his only option is stem cell research. Would you rather a child who hasnt made anything of himself be born and let the celebrity who has made big achievements and is likely to make more die because they didnt want the baby. Im sure if it was that situation then of course they are going to treat him with stem cells
I don't value the lives of celebrities or anyone else in higher regard than any other person (innocent people not criminals). I do not think that the celebrity has any right to live more than the fetus. If the fetus is not already dead then you have absolutely no right to kill it. Everybody should have the right to live their lives and try to make something of themselves. If they choose to use their lives to harm others than they have forfeited their rights, but until then they should be able to live. No human being has a right to decide if a perfectly innocent person should live or die, and I think that killing an innocent fetus is morally wrong. If there was some way to use the stem cells of convicts or other people who have forfeited their lives then I am alright with that, but in no other situation is that okay.

Omnicloud, I am willing to debate that with you if you want to, but I would probably be able to debate better if you didn't choose something so specific.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I don't value the lives of celebrities or anyone else in higher regard than any other person (innocent people not criminals). I do not think that the celebrity has any right to live more than the fetus. If the fetus is not already dead then you have absolutely no right to kill it. Everybody should have the right to live their lives and try to make something of themselves. If they choose to use their lives to harm others than they have forfeited their rights, but until then they should be able to live. No human being has a right to decide if a perfectly innocent person should live or die, and I think that killing an innocent fetus is morally wrong. If there was some way to use the stem cells of convicts or other people who have forfeited their lives then I am alright with that, but in no other situation is that okay.

Omnicloud, I am willing to debate that with you if you want to, but I would probably be able to debate better if you didn't choose something so specific.
But lets say we were talking about the dr. situation where you got 6 people and they all need different organs and you can get those only through stem cells. Are you going to let 6 people die because you want a child to live? All the people are going to die if you dont abort the fetus. Also there is such a thing as adult stem cells. They take them off of you and you get they use it on other people who need stem cells. Now back to the fetus cells. The child has yet to be valuable in society. And these men have most probably made something of themselves by now. What if one of those men is a police officer or a fire fighter. Are you going to let them die and make slightly more chaos in the world? What if that fire fighter that died wouldve saved a life if he lived? Or what if the police officer saved someones life in a hostage situation if he had not died? If you let an officer of peace die then that means that even more people are going to probably die because they were not there to protect them. So alright they could send out another cop or fire fighter. But what if they were out of cops and firefighters and didnt have a spare officer? Then the hostage situation might go bad and all the people involved are going to die. And all that can happen because you dont want to give up your child so that he can have a life. And again "Kill one to save a thousand" and this time its probably literal I mean it. Because the police officer can save so many people if he doesnt die. That means that that chain reaction of events that might happen is..... well going to happen and more people are going to die.

Riddle

Smash Lord
But lets say we were talking about the dr. situation where you got 6 people and they all need different organs and you can get those only through stem cells. Are you going to let 6 people die because you want a child to live? All the people are going to die if you dont abort the fetus. Also there is such a thing as adult stem cells. They take them off of you and you get they use it on other people who need stem cells. Now back to the fetus cells. The child has yet to be valuable in society. And these men have most probably made something of themselves by now. What if one of those men is a police officer or a fire fighter. Are you going to let them die and make slightly more chaos in the world? What if that fire fighter that died wouldve saved a life if he lived? Or what if the police officer saved someones life in a hostage situation if he had not died? If you let an officer of peace die then that means that even more people are going to probably die because they were not there to protect them. So alright they could send out another cop or fire fighter. But what if they were out of cops and firefighters and didnt have a spare officer? Then the hostage situation might go bad and all the people involved are going to die. And all that can happen because you dont want to give up your child so that he can have a life. And again "Kill one to save a thousand" and this time its probably literal I mean it. Because the police officer can save so many people if he doesnt die. That means that that chain reaction of events that might happen is..... well going to happen and more people are going to die.
In my opinion (and Emmanuel Csont's opinion too) the basis of what is moral is what reflects well on human society. It is degrading and takes away the dignity of humans if we kill innocent fetuses. I think there is absolutely no right to take away someone chance to live. You can't just assume that the police officer is even going to die without the stem cells. In the case of the doctor, by killing the one man, it could completely ruin trust in our healthcare system and ultimately kill many people who are not willing to risk the chance of being killed 'for the greater good'. Utilitarianism is not the answer to everything, and absolutely no one has the right to kill innocent fetuses.

Just a piece of advice, try to format your posts a little better. Use multiple paragraphs and better grammar. Your points are solid, but they are a little difficult to read.

Riddle

Smash Lord
I'm going to be without internet access until Friday night, but I am going to have a lot of spare time to write posts, so expect an extremely detailed post when I come back. I am always open to debate when I come back so be sure to propose any to me in the meantime and I will get to them. Omnicloud, please pick a ne debate or begin posting in the one you suggested and I will be sure to make a lengthy post responding to whatever.

Happy Debating!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
In my opinion (and Emmanuel Csont's opinion too) the basis of what is moral is what reflects well on human society. It is degrading and takes away the dignity of humans if we kill innocent fetuses. I think there is absolutely no right to take away someone chance to live. You can't just assume that the police officer is even going to die without the stem cells. In the case of the doctor, by killing the one man, it could completely ruin trust in our healthcare system and ultimately kill many people who are not willing to risk the chance of being killed 'for the greater good'. Utilitarianism is not the answer to everything, and absolutely no one has the right to kill innocent fetuses.

Just a piece of advice, try to format your posts a little better. Use multiple paragraphs and better grammar. Your points are solid, but they are a little difficult to read.
But if we use stem cells they can possibly mean cures for diseases like diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimers. Imagine what diseases we could cure if we had Stem Cell research. It could benifit all of humanity. There would be less deaths each year due to these fatal diseases like cancer. And in years it is possible that we can find a way to live longer through even more medicine. We can live up to be 100 years or even more old. And all that would happen because we found a proper use of stem cell research. Wouldnt that be great? Wouldnt you want to live even longer or know you dont have to die so forcibly through a fatal disease?

Riddle

Smash Lord
But if we use stem cells they can possibly mean cures for diseases like diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimers. Imagine what diseases we could cure if we had Stem Cell research. It could benifit all of humanity. There would be less deaths each year due to these fatal diseases like cancer. And in years it is possible that we can find a way to live longer through even more medicine. We can live up to be 100 years or even more old. And all that would happen because we found a proper use of stem cell research. Wouldnt that be great? Wouldnt you want to live even longer or know you dont have to die so forcibly through a fatal disease?
Would you kill a baby if it meant you could recover from diabetes (I realize it isn't the same). The only part of stem cell research I disagree with is abortion. If scientists can find a way to do this without killing innocent fetuses/people I am completely fine with this. Have people donate their bodies or take them from convicts, but please just don't abort innocent fetuses. No matter how many lives this would save it doesn't matter to me if it would require using dead people. I would never kill the innocent guy in the doctor situation, because it is just wrong to kill (and it would ruin trust in our healthcare system but that is beside the point). If you can find a way to do stem cell research without aborted fetuses I am in complete agreement with you, but until then I will hold my ground.

Disclaimer: I hope you still realize that I already agree with you.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Would you kill a baby if it meant you could recover from diabetes (I realize it isn't the same). The only part of stem cell research I disagree with is abortion. If scientists can find a way to do this without killing innocent fetuses/people I am completely fine with this. Have people donate their bodies or take them from convicts, but please just don't abort innocent fetuses. No matter how many lives this would save it doesn't matter to me if it would require using dead people. I would never kill the innocent guy in the doctor situation, because it is just wrong to kill (and it would ruin trust in our healthcare system but that is beside the point). If you can find a way to do stem cell research without aborted fetuses I am in complete agreement with you, but until then I will hold my ground.

Disclaimer: I hope you still realize that I already agree with you.
Yeah I know that this is just a debate :p

But if we keep doing stem cell research maybe one day through this method we can discover an even better way to cure people without aborting fetuses. Maybe one day we can find a whole other way of dealing with the matter. But we wont abort fetuses. If people would let the scientists research stem cells then we can find a better future in stem cells.

We can also prevent strokes, spinal injuries, and a whole hell of a lot more of diseases (and yes I have the link to show you if you want it riddle). And we can also prevent birth defects within other children. We can prevent a bad future for a boy or girl with stem cells. Instead they then can lead normal lives instead of being bullied or bothered by other kids for being disfigured.

Also if someone is gonna have an abortion wouldnt it be better if you could give it away for the good of mankind instead of just throwing it away in a dumpster full of other fetuses? I think it would be better if we instead gave it to good people trying to help mankind instead of just wasting it and let it rot somewhere

Riddle

Smash Lord
Lol at throwing fetuses in dumpsters. This debate isn't going anywhere so I'm just going to go ahead and end it. I'll consider nominating you, but I have also got to look at other posts you have made.

I am now officially open for other debates! Any subject any side I'll do whatever!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well looks like Im out of a debate. Anybody consider debating against me? btw @riddle I was actually having quite a lot of fun lol

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Id like to but I suck at coming up at a topic. Why do you think I did the cliched stem cell research? If you have a good topic then Im all for it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Hey koarin, could you wait till tommorrow for a debate with me. Im currently on a phone and it has only a one thousand character limit so I cant write up a good debate

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
When I have trouble coming up with debate topics I go here. It is a very useful resource.
Thanks alot riddle I got a topic right there that interested me: Should a dictator deserve to be assisinated or not?

Assassination can be defined as the targeted killing of an individual for political reasons in peacetime. It can be undertaken by individual citizens, or by the agents of another state, but in either case it takes place without any legal process. Assassinating a dictator is often considered in the context of Hitler and Stalin, or of secret CIA action against foreign leaders such as Fidel Castro in the Cold War period (after this became public knowledge in the mid-1970s US Presidents have banned the use of assassination by Executive Order). However, this issue regained topicality in the 1990s as leaders such as Saddam Hussein and Slobodan Milosevic pursued bloody careers which threatened international peace. In recent years US airstrikes apparently aimed at killing Muammar Qaddafi of Libya (1986), Osama Bin Laden (1998) and Saddam Hussein (1991 and 2003) have provoked argument - were these assassination attempts or did these leaders have the status of enemy combatants in a time of war? Certainly the UN Charter (Article 24) and various conventions (e.g New York Convention) clearly appear to make assassination in peacetime against international law.
The arguments below focus on the issue of assassination of a dictator in peacetime, although many of them would also apply to the specific military targeting of foreign leaders in a time of war. The topic can be debated from the perspective of internal opposition movements seeking to rid their country of dictatorship, or from the perspective of the international community.
Here it says the times dictators have been considered to be assassined: Osama bin Ladin, Saddam Hussein, Muammar Qaddafi and more. This is again an ethical issue (my favorite types of arguments) and the topic is whether should dictators be assassinated or not? I take the side of yes they should be assassinated. And again I am taking the whole "Kill one to save a thousand" motto. Take this situation: In WWII Hitler was killing all the Jews. If we had assassinated him back then would we have avoided all these deaths and the ultimate answer is yes we would have. There would have been more people not killed in the military or in gas chambers. If we had killed Fidel Castro would the state of Cuba be better? I believe yes it would. And they would get more money for the reason that the US would open trades again with Cuba (but the embargo is starting to stop and we are starting trades again). Main reason why we embargoed in the first place was because of Castro's tenure as the leader of Cuba. Anyways if we had killed all these dictators the world would have been a better place. So I close this statement with the phrase "Kill one to save a thousand"

Your turn Koarin

Wrath`

Smash Master
Thanks alot riddle I got a topic right there that interested me: Should a dictator deserve to be assassinated or not?

Here it says the times dictators have been considered to be assassined: Osama bin Ladin, Saddam Hussein, Muammar Qaddafi and more. This is again an ethical issue (my favorite types of arguments) and the topic is whether should dictators be assassinated or not? I take the side of yes they should be assassinated. And again I am taking the whole "Kill one to save a thousand" motto. Take this situation: In WWII Hitler was killing all the Jews. If we had assassinated him back then would we have avoided all these deaths and the ultimate answer is yes we would have. There would have been more people not killed in the military or in gas chambers. If we had killed Fidel Castro would the state of Cuba be better? I believe yes it would. And they would get more money for the reason that the US would open trades again with Cuba (but the embargo is starting to stop and we are starting trades again). Main reason why we embargoed in the first place was because of Castro's tenure as the leader of Cuba. Anyways if we had killed all these dictators the world would have been a better place. So I close this statement with the phrase "Kill one to save a thousand"

Your turn Koarin
Do we have the right to kill other country's leaders if we deem them dangerous? Hitler was widely like by his citizens and provided them with a stable government and economy. If we were to have assassinated him back then before he started WWII, we the U.S. might have gotten into a lot of trouble, and potentially made enemies of current Allys.

In the case of Fidel Castro, if the people of Cuba wanted change, why have they yet to revolt? Why is it that another country has to interfere with their politics to free them. If Cubans did not want him in power, why have they continued to let him rule? Fidel is on no level with Hitler ether, he only had missile that he never launched, he didn't wipe out 6 million of a race. Therefore assassinating him is just a way for a big country to mess with a small country.

"Kill one save a thousand" does not work in some situations, we didn't know much about Hitlers anti-Jew antics (the Gas chambers, Concentration camps. Not the ghettos) until well into the war, so we really couldn't kill him for that if we didn't have much knowledge on it. Castro has never really threatened lives, so we can not save a thousand in his case.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Do we have the right to kill other country's leaders if we deem them dangerous? Hitler was widely like by his citizens and provided them with a stable government and economy. If we were to have assassinated him back then before he started WWII, we the U.S. might have gotten into a lot of trouble, and potentially made enemies of current Allys.

In the case of Fidel Castro, if the people of Cuba wanted change, why have they yet to revolt? Why is it that another country has to interfere with their politics to free them. If Cubans did not want him in power, why have they continued to let him rule? Fidel is on no level with Hitler ether, he only had missile that he never launched, he didn't wipe out 6 million of a race. Therefore assassinating him is just a way for a big country to mess with a small country.

"Kill one save a thousand" does not work in some situations, we didn't know much about Hitlers anti-Jew antics (the Gas chambers, Concentration camps. Not the ghettos) until well into the war, so we really couldn't kill him for that if we didn't have much knowledge on it. Castro has never really threatened lives, so we can not save a thousand in his case.
But if we had killed Hitler more people wouldve been saved. Does a stable economy mean anything if people are getting killed? And if we had killed Castro we wouldnt have gone throught that missile crisis years ago when Kennedy was the President of the United States. They almost launched nuclear missiles at us. That means that Castro was a threat to international peace meaning we couldve killed him. That would just mean we were just trying to keep the order.

Also there is tyrany and oppression that take place within a country with a dictator. Look at Castro. Life was very hard in Cuba during his tenure as dictator. Hitler was also a tyrant. He kept killing all the Jews. Any longer and he couldve destroyed the religion and a large population of people.

Also think about this. An eye for an eye. Hitler took away many many many lives so it is JUST justified that he be assassinated himself. And even then the way he took all those lives wouldnt be enough for him

Wrath`

Smash Master
But if we had killed Hitler more people wouldve been saved. Does a stable economy mean anything if people are getting killed? And if we had killed Castro we wouldnt have gone throught that missile crisis years ago when Kennedy was the President of the United States. They almost launched nuclear missiles at us. That means that Castro was a threat to international peace meaning we couldve killed him. That would just mean we were just trying to keep the order.

Also there is tyrany and oppression that take place within a country with a dictator. Look at Castro. Life was very hard in Cuba during his tenure as dictator. Hitler was also a tyrant. He kept killing all the Jews. Any longer and he couldve destroyed the religion and a large population of people.

Also think about this. An eye for an eye. Hitler took away many many many lives so it is JUST justified that he be assassinated himself. And even then the way he took all those lives wouldnt be enough for him
We did not find out the true horrors of what Hitler did until after he had already killed himself, so back in 1942 we didn't have enough against him to justify killing him, also we put Japanese in similar camps, and yet should FDR/Truman have been assassinated?

Castro to me is comparable with the Colonies of 1776, but instead we have King George the III, he was Tyrannical, could have destroyed us with huge fleets of ships, but I don't see France or Spain wanting to assassinate him. We had to rise up and fight to earn our democracy, so should Cuba.

Ever hear of Gandhi's "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
We did not find out the true horrors of what Hitler did until after he had already killed himself, so back in 1942 we didn't have enough against him to justify killing him, also we put Japanese in similar camps, and yet should FDR/Truman have been assassinated?

Castro to me is comparable with the Colonies of 1776, but instead we have King George the III, he was Tyrannical, could have destroyed us with huge fleets of ships, but I don't see France or Spain wanting to assassinate him. We had to rise up and fight to earn our democracy, so should Cuba.

Ever hear of Gandhi's "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"?
Well he FDR/Truman shouldve. What we did to the Japanese was injustifiable. That act was comparible to what Hitler did to the Jews putting them in concentration camps.

Also Dictatoral regimes were too personal. They also had restricted liberty as with some other economies. If we take out the dictator a more liberal government could move in and change things for the better of it.

Eye for an eye makes the whole world blind? If you hurt a person you deserve to get the same punishment. If you kill a person you deserve to die as well. If you broke someones arm you deserve to get your arm broken.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Well he FDR/Truman shouldve. What we did to the Japanese was injustifiable. That act was comparible to what Hitler did to the Jews putting them in concentration camps.

Also Dictatoral regimes were too personal. They also had restricted liberty as with some other economies. If we take out the dictator a more liberal government could move in and change things for the better of it.

Eye for an eye makes the whole world blind? If you hurt a person you deserve to get the same punishment. If you kill a person you deserve to die as well. If you broke someones arm you deserve to get your arm broken.
Although harsh,I believe what our government did what was necessary, but not executed correctly, but he shpuldn't be assasinated for it.

King George was basically a dictator, just with the title king, instead of Fuhrer, so we were able to rise up, why can't Cuba?

It is this attitude that gets us into many wars and conflicts, the whole "You made me feel bad now I make you feel bad" That a middle-schooler's mentality, we should have enough dignity and intelligence to talk things out, and if that doesn't work, then we can consider war.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Quite a deep and insightful refutation there.
To match and equally eloquent and well-thought out declaration.
I'm definitely considering being a science major. I love chemistry and physics, and they are both fields in which we have only scratched the surface in terms of understanding the whole discipline.

You assume that people who believe in Intelligent Design will just stop researching origins and the process of evolution. You're quite simply wrong: I am an example. I have a friend who wants to be a biologist at GA Tech who is an example.

Your assumption is baseless and has nothing to do with the theory of ID.
It has nothing to do with thinking and everything to do with endorsing a pseudo-scientific hypothesis in the public school system. If you're not familiar with either the intelligent design movement as pseudoscience or the public school system's policies regarding it, I suggest you educate yourself. There are countless court rulings where ID has been labeled non-scientific.
I don't think it should be taught in schools. You are assuming I believe many things that I don't. Please only try and refute beliefs which I actually hold.

Whether a theory is pseudo religious or not has no effect on its (1) truth or its (2) value to science. If Mormons had come up with the theory of macro evolution, it's truth would not be affected.

And our court system ruling something does not make it true. Our court ruled that forced sterilization in the 1800s is legal.
Educate yourself.
That you think intelligent design is a leading scientific theory is laughable in the highest degree. ID is a fringe group at best, and the scientific community has overwhelming been critical of it and regarded it as pseudo-science, just like astrology, alternative medicine, or any other non-scientific nonsense.
Read books dude. Not just your left wing websites composed of crying scientists, who can't publish so they blog.

Seeing as you or I can't determine the size of the ID movement, lets just say I've read a lot claiming that it is formidable. And some that says its not formidable. When you poll every scientist of note and ask for their beliefs, come talk to me. Until then, check out your bookstore and library (even Amazon) and look for the number of books supporting this side and that side. Not a perfect measurement tool, but at least something besides your own personal opinion.

How are you qualified to generalize the scientific community like that? Answer: you aren't.

You're a waste of time.

See; I can make baseless accusations without backing them up too!
And you are very good at doing that, aren't you?

Nice try, but not even close:
You're never gonna admit that you have absolutely NO observational data, lab tests, or predictions that support your theory. Right? You have evidence of micro evolution. And a really big imagination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

Check the endlinks for sources. And like I said, if you feel like taking 5 seconds to google the history of intelligent design, you might learn something.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

It's pretty obvious you don't understand what a transitional form is. All fossils that aren't left behind by animals that were the last of their line are transitional by definition.

Perhaps you should read up on evolutionary theory; it's glaringly obvious you know very little.

Never cite wikipedia again, you just end up looking ********. Seeing as you could edit it whenever you wanted. If you're going to cite a specific link, put the link on the page.

I actually know modern evolutionary theory really really well. Good try?

How are you a debater? Do you get in based on the amount of baseless assumptions you make?
I'm pretty much cool with everyone else in the hall except you cause you are very demeaning and illogical. You use sweeping generalizations. And you draw in pointless information (schools? wth?).

Evolution, the process of reshuffling genetic information, has at least two mechanisms: natural selection and genetic drift:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

This is a good place to start, but there are more advanced sources once you've learned the basics. You can also read further on any of the subjects in that article by using the endlinks.
Shuffling? It's called an error, not some "thing" our genes do. What causes these errors? They're not programmed into our DNA.
What cause the first changes from prokaryotes to multicelled organisms. How did the first cell drift together? What caused the big bang?

Evolutionary theory can't even know the answers to these because it doesn't address them.

What does this even mean? You're just saying random nonsense without explaining the point you're trying to get across.

So does evolution.
Nope.

So does evolution. In fact, evolution explains all of nature.
Ok. Well then, God created everything. That explains everything too. I created everything. And explanation needs to be reasonable. The sheer magnitude of time and situations it would take for this world to exist is stunning. like 1/ (trillion)(10 trillion).

So does evolution.
Nope.
Again, what does this mean? Go into detail about your posts. That's how we do things in the Debate Hall; no wimpy one-liners.
Ironic considering the two statements above.

And go look up the Precambrian explosion. Seriously, that's why people like Gould left the gradualism camp..

You don't even know what that is, and you're telling me to get educated? Lolz.

So basically, you have no fossils. No evidence. Just a theory that requires everything to be just right, a theory that cannot prove or observe anything, and a theory that claims that hip bones in whales and an appendix means that we all had a common ancestor. I used to believe this, but it just doesn't have evidence. I had to work myself up to believe it, and I had to ignore the fact that intelligent design has evidence as well. If you go to a church, you know what I mean. Also, intelligent design makes sense intuitively. Man wonders about purpose and God and good and evil, and I think it makes more sense for that need to have satisfaction than for evolution (with its MICROscopic odds) to be real.

Until this day, heated debates between macro-evolution and creationism are still happening because neither side has supporting evidence on which to back up their claims. It all boilds down to your personal beliefs, religion is generally followed by creationists, and macro-evolution is generally followed by atheists. (Generalizations used here)

I, myself, am at a conflict between the two:

1) Because I'm a scientist, it makes sense that large groups of organisms would evolve to adapt to new environmental factors, and given the many different fossils found that date millions of years before the dawn of man, it wouldn't surprise me. From the extinction of previous dominant species (like dinosaurs) to the lack of an important resource (desert animals vs tropical animals), there are quite a number of reasons why so many gene pools would be mutated during enough time, so the species could adapt to the constantly-changing environmental factors (transition between the last dinosaur era to the Ice Age's dominant species).
2) As a christian, I cannot deny the word of the Bible because it is God's word. I can't really say my spiritual health is at it's best right now, due to me studying all sorts of scientific branches, expanding my knowledge and feeding my curiosity, and lots of what I read aren't in accordance with the Bible's usual highlights when creationism is mentioned... But what happens after death? What REALLY happened at the start of time? For all we know it could be some deistic view of reality, and God created the universe and set it in motion for evolution to occur.
I find that the more I read, the more I believe in creation and micro evolution, though I do believe the earth is over 10 billion years old.

Pshaw, that seems like everyone's ultimate goal. I'm here to learn and hear people's opinions. And I feel like I get enough of that in the PG, then fine, whatever. I'm probably capable of good enough arguments to get into DH but I don't really care that much about it.
I wish more people just wanted to share ideas instead of proving how dominant they were on the internet.. which is really hard when you try and be dominant with a holey (haha) argument.
I just want to find out the truth, not espouse any particular belief. But it seems some people here are too set in their ways, and they view the world through a lens that clouds them from real truth.

Their loss I guess.

GOD!

Smash Ace
So was Nazism, the Crusades, slavery, and many other stupid ideas, but being popular doesn't mean they are right. With ID, it's just a hypothesis because god is just a hypothesis. Unless you can scientifically disprove something, as in it as a manner of being disproven in some way not that you have to actually disprove it, ID/Creationism will always be a hypothesis and never a theory.

Also, your "pro's" for ID miss one thing: the assumption that a creator exists. All of that stuff that is "proven" hinges on whether or not there is ACTUALLY a creator.
That's the same thing as saying that evolutionary argument assumes that evolution across species exists. To argue for intelligent design, you must have a designer, yes. To argue in favor of macro evolution, you must assume (because it can't be proven). We can't prove a creator exists; we can't prove macro evolution exists. Both theories make assumptions, and we can really only hope the assumptions we make are right and try to support them with knowledge and experience.

No one can prove either view to be true, so we just have to gather as much evidence as we can. In this debate, I wish we could realize this, and maybe just be a little more relaxed about it.
I'm sorry if I've been disrespectful to anybody, it's just some debaters (RDK) have arrogance radiating from their words...

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Here is an interesting and fun challenge for those who might wish to join the DH. Its a satire piece, prove that you can accurately pick apart a faulty argument, provide examples, give reason and logic to shut down this pieces 'argument'

Consider this your formal invitation to join in THE fight for the future of American freedom. I'm referring to the fight to abolish public firefighting. For too long we have endured the socialistic nightmare of tyrannical laws that incite our neighbors to call 911 and report us TO THE GOVERNMENT when our homes are on fire.

Americans are so brainwashed that only a tiny, patriotic sliver of us have truly understood the fascist flood that gushes from taxpayer-funded fire hoses every day in these United States. The facts are chilling. So wake up, America!

FACT: When a neighbor reports your burning home to the government, you as the property owner are helpless. The taxpayer-funded sirens come ever closer, whether you like it or not, until finally the trucks arrive on your property. Soon your door is bashed from its hinges, your windows are in shards, your belongings are soaked with the fluoridated poison that passes for a municipal water supply.

FACT: You as the property owner get no say whatsoever as to who is sent to extinguish a blaze in your home. The government DOES NOT CARE about the sacred trust that is supposed to exist between an individual homeowner and the individual firefighter he would select to be the defender of his little piece of the American dream. No. Instead, callous government bureaucrats DECIDE FOR US which masked, helmeted strangers will be dispatched to breach our supposedly sacred homes. Breathing taxpayer-funded oxygen from taxpayer-funded tanks, these strangers even have the authority to snatch our children from their beds. Our children! FROM THEIR BEDS! Again, I say: WAKE UP, AMERICA!

FACT: Government bureaucrats decide which firefighting services will be available and which will be rationed. Under a market-based system, we would be able to contract for firefighting that is tailored to our individual needs. Instead, we get this one-size-fits-all travesty of a system. Just one example: Try calling 911 and asking for a firefighter to come blow out your birthday candles. At best, the bureaucrats will laugh at you. At worst, the bureaucrats will send straightjacket-wielding thugs to your home. All the while, it is you -- the taxpayer, the property owner -- who is paying the salaries of these jackals and hyenas.

FACT: The property owner loses all authority to decide what or whom should be saved from his burning home. The unthinking bureaucratic drones will always choose human life over an inanimate object. Heaven help you if you want the firefighters to save some precious possession and let your house guests burn alive. The bureaucrats refuse to listen.
Even if your house guests are parasites who have overstayed their welcome.

Even if your house guests are the sort of people who write satire.
Even if the precious object is a Bible.
Even if the precious object an American flag.
Even if the precious object is the original copy of the Second Amendment.

Without fail, the bureaucrats will save the parasite, save the satirist. Without fail, they will let the Bible burn, let the American flag burn, let our God-given right to bear arms go up in flames. Can there be any more clear evidence of the tyranny we are up against? NO!

Keep marching.

If we seize this moment, if we maintain this momentum, we can give our children an America free from the totalitarian, communist abomination of public firefighting.

Keep marching!
KEEP MARCHING!
I may or may not argue back, but rather judge your argument and posting skills based on how you respond.

RDK

Smash Hero
To match and equally eloquent and well-thought out declaration.
I'm definitely considering being a science major. I love chemistry and physics, and they are both fields in which we have only scratched the surface in terms of understanding the whole discipline.
Of course. Saying god did it is a wonderful way to dig into the amazing mystery of biological life!

You assume that people who believe in Intelligent Design will just stop researching origins and the process of evolution. You're quite simply wrong: I am an example. I have a friend who wants to be a biologist at GA Tech who is an example.
Frankly, nobody cares about your example. The fact is that ID is a religion-based hypothesis, and a science-stopper. You're accepting a conclusion for which there is no testable evidence and no general reason to believe in it beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Also, please don't consider being a science major with this kind of an attitude towards science. Unless you go somewhere like Liberty or Baylor, that kind of approach will get you nowhere, and quite possibly ridiculed.

Your assumption is baseless and has nothing to do with the theory of ID.
What I outlined above is the consequence of taking ID seriously as a scientific hypothesis.

Also, note that ID is not even a theory; it is a hypothesis. A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for an observable phenomenon; a theory is a collection of concepts, including abstractions of observable phenomena expressed as quantifiable properties, together with rules (called scientific laws) that express relationships between observations of such concepts.

Seeing as how ID isn't even testable, contrary to what people like Mike Behe think, there is no possible way it could even transition into a theory at some point in the future until the ID camp comes up with some tangible positive evidence for their "hypothesis".

I don't think it should be taught in schools. You are assuming I believe many things that I don't. Please only try and refute beliefs which I actually hold.
The original conversation was about whether or not ID creationism should be taught in schools. You responded to something I posted in another thread, titled TEACHING INTELLIGENT DESIGN IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS. It's fairly safe to assume you have a problem with me saying it is unconstitutional to teach ID in schools.

Do you think before you post?

Whether a theory is pseudo religious or not has no effect on its (1) truth or its (2) value to science. If Mormons had come up with the theory of macro evolution, it's truth would not be affected.
You're making several mistakes here. The first one being that yes, a religious or pseudo-scientific theory is effected by the fact that it is religious or pseudo-scientific. A quack theory based on religion or non-science is of no value to science whatsoever; it should be obvious to the average person that that is a contradiction in terms. Second of all, your example of Mormons coming up with the theory of evolution doesn't even fit your assertion, since the theory itself isn't religious or pseudo-scientific in this case, but the founders (the Mormons) are.

If you would have said that the founder being religious doesn't necessarily effect the value of his / her theory to science, you would be right. But you didn't say that, you said something completely ridiculous.

And our court system ruling something does not make it true. Our court ruled that forced sterilization in the 1800s is legal.
Educate yourself.
I never said that it was true because the court ruled that way, I said that there is an entire history of court cases that you can follow if you only were to go Google it and research it yourself.

Read books dude. Not just your left wing websites composed of crying scientists, who can't publish so they blog.
I'm a biology major.

Seeing as you or I can't determine the size of the ID movement, lets just say I've read a lot claiming that it is formidable.
You mean books like this, or this? And you're saying this is reliable material? No wonder you're confused.

And some that says its not formidable. When you poll every scientist of note and ask for their beliefs, come talk to me. Until then, check out your bookstore and library (even Amazon) and look for the number of books supporting this side and that side. Not a perfect measurement tool, but at least something besides your own personal opinion.

How are you qualified to generalize the scientific community like that? Answer: you aren't.
It seems you not only looked at the links I gave you, but you haven't taken my suggestion to research the history of ID yourself. Very well, let's try this again. Maybe this time you'll actually read the links I give you instead of just skipping right to the reply button with more baseless accusations:

The unequivocal consensus in the scientific community is that intelligent design is not science.[13][14][15][16]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientific_societies_rejecting_intelligent_design
http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=11890
http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/v4/n12/abs/nmeth1207-983.html
http://www.nature.com/doifinder/10.1038/sj.embor.7401131

The U.S. National Academy of Sciences has stated that "creationism, intelligent design, and other claims of supernatural intervention in the origin of life or of species are not science because they are not testable by the methods of science."[17]
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309064066&page=25
http://www.nsta.org/about/pressroom.aspx?id=50794
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~hsr/fall2005/mu.pdf
http://www.aaas.org/spp/sfrl/per/per26.pdf

The U.S. National Science Teachers Association and the American Association for the Advancement of Science have termed it pseudoscience.[18] Others in the scientific community have concurred, and some have called it junk science.[19][20]
http://www.jci.org/articles/view/28449
http://books.google.com/books?id=kH...age&q=intelligent design junk-science&f=false

And you are very good at doing that, aren't you?
You might have missed it, but that was sarcasm. You've done nothing but make baseless accusations since you started posting in this thread.

You're never gonna admit that you have absolutely NO observational data, lab tests, or predictions that support your theory. Right? You have evidence of micro evolution. And a really big imagination.
Try actually reading the links I give you this time. Saying I have no observational data to back up my claims when I clearly did so on multiple occasions just makes you look foolish.

Here is a very good FAQ for beginners; you might try getting aquainted with the basics of evolutionary theory before getting into the deeper stuff. It will also clear up a lot of your misconceptions about the roles of science and religion (I.E., intelligent design):

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/macroevolution.html

Here's further reading:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/
http://www.life.illinois.edu/bio100/lectures/sp98lects/25s98evidence.html
http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/cool_stuff/tour_evolution_3.html
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/0_0_0/evo_47
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/paleonet/paleo21/mevolution.html

There's even a comprehensive OP I found from a religious website defending the existence of macro-evolution:

http://www.mbforum.ca/topic/2719.html

Never cite wikipedia again, you just end up looking ********. Seeing as you could edit it whenever you wanted. If you're going to cite a specific link, put the link on the page.
No, not everyone can edit Wikipedia and get away with it. It's actually a fairly moderated site, and they keep records. Which is beside the point, because I told you to check the endlinks if you had some sort of bias against Wikipedia (which you clearly do), but you didn't, and skipped right to the reply button.

I actually know modern evolutionary theory really really well. Good try?
I laughed.

How are you a debater? Do you get in based on the amount of baseless assumptions you make?
Judging by the content of your posts, you're in no position to accuse anyone here of making baseless assumptions.

I'm pretty much cool with everyone else in the hall except you cause you are very demeaning and illogical. You use sweeping generalizations. And you draw in pointless information (schools? wth?).

Are you a parrot? Because you're pretty much just repeating back to me what I said when I critiqued your post.

Shuffling? It's called an error, not some "thing" our genes do. What causes these errors? They're not programmed into our DNA.
Yes, they're called "mutations"; I.E., changes to the nucleotide sequence of the genetic material of an organism. They can be caused by copying errors in the genetic material during cell division, by exposure to ultraviolet or ionizing radiation, chemical mutagens, or viruses, or can be induced by the organism itself, by cellular processes such as hypermutation.

What cause the first changes from prokaryotes to multicelled organisms. How did the first cell drift together? What caused the big bang?
As for the first question, there is strong data to suggest that eukaryotic cells actually evolved from groups of prokaryotic cells that became interdependent on each other. Here is a science article published in 2004 that addresses the matter:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/4/44

As for the second and third parts, evolution has nothing to do with them. They are called, respectively, abiogenesis and the beginning of the universe.

Like I said, it's quite obvious you know next to nothing about evolutionary biology.

Edit: I'll let CK respond to GOD!'s replies to his posts since he's capable of doing so and I don't want to steal them. :lick:

I assume that I must take a shot at it; it may or may not be a valid arguement...

FACT: Government bureaucrats decide which firefighting services will be available and which will be rationed. Under a market-based system, we would be able to contract for firefighting that is tailored to our individual needs. Instead, we get this one-size-fits-all travesty of a system. Just one example: Try calling 911 and asking for a firefighter to come blow out your birthday candles. At best, the bureaucrats will laugh at you. At worst, the bureaucrats will send straightjacket-wielding thugs to your home. All the while, it is you -- the taxpayer, the property owner -- who is paying the salaries of these jackals and hyenas.
Here are the cons that I can discern from this:

- If we had a market-based system, and also had to option to call firefighters whenever we please, people may in turn abuse this method. People might begin to call firefighters for work or a job that is not of their range, and would end up wasting their time. Time is actually a valuable scarce resource, and would be used for much more important occurences in a non-market-based system.
- Another problem to come from this supposed market-based system of summoning firefighters whenever they please would be that, from the abuse of this system, money would be wasted. Calling firefighters for a simple problem able to be solved by another source would cost the person whom called them money.
- The firefighters may be under too much pressure due to the fact that people are abusing this method of calling them for their individual needs.

What might these individual needs be anyway? Many of these needs may be pointless or able to be handled by another type of person.

Another con on a market-based economy or system would be the social values of the people. These social values would be depleted while the financial ways prosper. Both social values AND positive financial growth are needed for a good economy.
Besides, the financial growth may be stymied as well because of people, once again, abusing the method of being able to call firefighters for their needs.

Firefighters, in whatever system, may experience trauma or death from firefighting, it is a crucial job to possibly saving a human life. With this market-based system, this important job is turned into a seemingly low-key job which is constantly abused for peoples individual needs. It may no longer save lives, instead it helps people lift an object or put out a fire worth nothing.
The people may also in turn overwork the firefighters, which is a disincentive for them to keep working. There also may come a time when a real fire breaks out, threatening the lives of multiple humans, if the firefighters have quit their job because of pressure or mediocre work, where will they be? Who will be saved? They might all perish because of untrained firefighters taking the places of the original professional firefighters.

Also...
FACT: The property owner loses all authority to decide what or whom should be saved from his burning home. The unthinking bureaucratic drones will always choose human life over an inanimate object. Heaven help you if you want the firefighters to save some precious possession and let your house guests burn alive. The bureaucrats refuse to listen.

Human life should always be valued over inanimate objects, what kind of person would want objects saved over life?
Even if it does mean giving up rights or giving up a Religious book, which may be extremely important to someone.
Apparently this person decides to let this 'parasite' or 'satirist' burn and have a life wasted away instead of having a Holy book or an Amendment burn. Items may be replaced, no matter what. A human life, on the opposite hand, cannot be replaced.

I tried...

Wrath`

Smash Master
FACT: When a neighbor reports your burning home to the government, you as the property owner are helpless. The taxpayer-funded sirens come ever closer, whether you like it or not, until finally the trucks arrive on your property. Soon your door is bashed from its hinges, your windows are in shards, your belongings are soaked with the fluoridated poison that passes for a municipal water supply.
Fire insurance should cover most damages to your home,so you are not helpless.

You as the property owner get no say whatsoever as to who is sent to extinguish a blaze in your home. The government DOES NOT CARE about the sacred trust that is supposed to exist between an individual homeowner and the individual firefighter he would select to be the defender of his little piece of the American dream. No. Instead, callous government bureaucrats DECIDE FOR US which masked, helmeted strangers will be dispatched to breach our supposedly sacred homes. Breathing taxpayer-funded oxygen from taxpayer-funded tanks, these strangers even have the authority to snatch our children from their beds. Our children! FROM THEIR BEDS! Again, I say: WAKE UP, AMERICA!
Well I hope they decide for us, I don't want an untrained man calling himself a fire-fighter coming to my house, even if he was my best friend that I "chose" to protect my house.

It would be impossible to tailor the fire-fighting system to everyone, unless we had three fire-fighters to every one person, which would require more TAX DOLLARS to be given to the BEUAROCRATIC SCUM. Also how extravagant might I want my customizable protection? I am sure an over paranoid man will have some requests that are unfeasible

Anyone who values on object over developed human life needs some psychiatric help

Good read.

hillbillyhick

Smash Cadet
Consider this your formal invitation to join in THE fight for the future of American freedom. I'm referring to the fight to abolish public firefighting. For too long we have endured the socialistic nightmare of tyrannical laws that incite our neighbors to call 911 and report us TO THE GOVERNMENT when our homes are on fire.

Americans are so brainwashed that only a tiny, patriotic sliver of us have truly understood the fascist flood that gushes from taxpayer-funded fire hoses every day in these United States. The facts are chilling. So wake up, America!

FACT: You as the property owner get no say whatsoever as to who is sent to extinguish a blaze in your home. The government DOES NOT CARE about the sacred trust that is supposed to exist between an individual homeowner and the individual firefighter he would select to be the defender of his little piece of the American dream. No. Instead, callous government bureaucrats DECIDE FOR US which masked, helmeted strangers will be dispatched to breach our supposedly sacred homes. Breathing taxpayer-funded oxygen from taxpayer-funded tanks, these strangers even have the authority to snatch our children from their beds. Our children! FROM THEIR BEDS! Again, I say: WAKE UP, AMERICA!

Without fail, the bureaucrats will save the parasite, save the satirist. Without fail, they will let the Bible burn, let the American flag burn, let our God-given right to bear arms go up in flames. Can there be any more clear evidence of the tyranny we are up against? NO!

Keep marching.

If we seize this moment, if we maintain this momentum, we can give our children an America free from the totalitarian, communist abomination of public firefighting.

Keep marching!
KEEP MARCHING!
Where can I sign this manifesto? jk:)

Looks like this could be the writing of a right winger or an anarchist, except anarchists don't really care for the bible, American flag or the Second Amendment. I sympathize with anarchism, but not necessarily this free market view.

Anyways this is an appeal for free market firefighting (you could insert any public service here, like education, military,...). Something which a lot of people are against, because it would mean that the wealthy could get better services.

Why shouldn't the wealthy get better services if they pay more money for them?
To most people the life of a wealthy person is valued as much as the life of a poor person. This is put into our moral code from an early age. This means they should get equal protection. However in a lot of cases like health insurance, it appears that in practice the life of a wealthy person is more important.

What is the reason for writing this?
People who write non-satiricial things like this are people who put a great emphasis on freedom. I put a lot of emphasis on it too, however I put an even greater emphasis on happiness and quality of life. These things should be compared to each other. Is the gain in freedom worth the possible bad outcome for certain groups of people? It is in fact the consequentialist ethics vs deontological ethics. I think both the outcome and the process should be taken into account, not just outcome or just process.

Really, if freedom is assumed to be the most important value, then this could be a valid point of view. Though I don't like the usage here of some words like: fascist, socialist, totalitarian, communism.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Hey koarin could you wait a few days because Im gonna be without a few days and I can only use my cell. So until we get the internet back Im not gonna be able to debate.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Of course. Saying god did it is a wonderful way to dig into the amazing mystery of biological life!
IF the shoe fits. Truth doesn't depend on your view of its accuracy. Unless you're a pluralist (and I wouldn't be surprised at all).
Frankly, nobody cares about your example. The fact is that ID is a religion-based hypothesis, and a science-stopper. You're accepting a conclusion for which there is no testable evidence and no general reason to believe in it beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Translation: "I don't want to change what I believe. *crys*. Fallacy, assumption.
If you want testable evidence, go to church. This evangelical movement you despise so much contains a lot of really solid evidence. Like healing and miracles. I have prayed for someone in a wheelchair during a church service who got up and rolled her wheelchair out. I prayed for a lady who had arthritis and back pain for 15 years and while we were praying, she felt a heat in her spine, and then the pain was gone. And it didn't come back.

Maybe they both just went through some evolution though, right?

Plus, everything in science points toward intelligent design. Complexity, the fossil record, the timeline of our earth, and also the fact that you really do have no observational data.

And the more you say you do have some, the less legitimate you become as a debater. Cause you are wrong.. Evolution doesn't create new kingdoms. Sorry. All the scientists who actually try and create new species by exposing creatures to environments that facilitate mutation can only create different kinds of that same species. (Look up the fruit fly experiments).

Also, please don't consider being a science major with this kind of an attitude towards science. Unless you go somewhere like Liberty or Baylor, that kind of approach will get you nowhere, and quite possibly ridiculed.
Please don't consider majoring in biology when you cannot grasp a truth that is right in front of you. It will make your life frustrating and miserable, and your wife/kids will suffer as a result.

My approach is: whatever is true, I believe. OMG, maybe I should be more like you, a stubborn and biased-beyond-belief person unwilling to accept truth.

What I outlined above is the consequence of taking ID seriously as a scientific hypothesis.

Assumption #2. Incredibly false, and definitely not in line with the theory of intelligent design.

Also, note that ID is not even a theory; it is a hypothesis. A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for an observable phenomenon; a theory is a collection of concepts, including abstractions of observable phenomena expressed as quantifiable properties, together with rules (called scientific laws) that express relationships between observations of such concepts.
So..... intelligent design is a theory. You can say its not.. but it is... so why even try making something like that up?

Seeing as how ID isn't even testable, contrary to what people like Mike Behe think, there is no possible way it could even transition into a theory at some point in the future until the ID camp comes up with some tangible positive evidence for their "hypothesis".
Theory.
And evolution isn't testable, unless you count fossils, and then it has tested miserably.

The original conversation was about whether or not ID creationism should be taught in schools. You responded to something I posted in another thread, titled TEACHING INTELLIGENT DESIGN IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS. It's fairly safe to assume you have a problem with me saying it is unconstitutional to teach ID in schools.

NO. THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT BE A DEBATER.
Never assume ANYTHING. Ever. That is a terrible rationale for anything you claim.
Do you know what the establishment clause is? Of course you do.
ID should not be taught in public schools. Neither should evolution. I think ID is true, but many people (like you) falsely think that if you believe in ID, then you must become religious or something to that effect. While ID must lead to a creator, evolution leads to no creator. Both are world views. Our public school has endorsed one world view over another, which I believe is unconstitutional, especially since the theory of macro evolution lacks real evidence.
Don't generalize or assume. You obviously need some basic logical training.

Do you think before you post?
I barely even use my brain to answer your senseless posts, if that's what you mean.
Your theory just doesn't have anything to back it up.

You're making several mistakes here. The first one being that yes, a religious or pseudo-scientific theory is effected by the fact that it is religious or pseudo-scientific. A quack theory based on religion or non-science is of no value to science whatsoever; it should be obvious to the average person that that is a contradiction in terms. Second of all, your example of Mormons coming up with the theory of evolution doesn't even fit your assertion, since the theory itself isn't religious or pseudo-scientific in this case, but the founders (the Mormons) are.

The average person can't locate Ohio on a map. Also, that was a generalization.
You are labeling ID as a quack theory? Why? Because fossil evidence supports a creator? I could say "evolution is a quack theory" and I have accomplished nothing besides expressing my twisted logic.
ID is based in science. Creation is based on Christianity. It so happens that they fit perfectly together. So... that must mean ID is false right? Stunning logic, btw.
ID is not a religious theory. It is based on scientific evidence. And the more you deny that, the more faulty your conclusions will be.
(Assumption #37).

If you would have said that the founder being religious doesn't necessarily effect the value of his / her theory to science, you would be right. But you didn't say that, you said something completely ridiculous.
... nope..

I never said that it was true because the court ruled that way, I said that there is an entire history of court cases that you can follow if you only were to go Google it and research it yourself.
I definitely know all the major religion court cases in our history. You assume once again that I am not very knowledgeable in this area. Constitutional law is a passion of mine. So please stop assuming everything you want to believe.

I'm a biology major.
And that makes you qualified somehow?
I read my chemistry textbook cover to cover, all 27 chapters and 600-something pages. That doesn't make me qualified to speak out my own opinions and make my own theories, it just makes me more credible and adept in terms of debating.
I could go sign something that says I'm and Animal Science major right now. Who cares?
That proves nothing. Doesn't even evidence anything...

You mean books like this, or this? And you're saying this is reliable material? No wonder you're confused.
Nope. I don't. Look like interesting reads though. :)
You should read everyone's opinion, even if it is complete trash, just to know what they think. Different worldviews make you more mature as a person. So please read more books.

Assumption #10,000 - That I think those books are reliable material is laughable..:laugh:
It seems you not only looked at the links I gave you, but you haven't taken my suggestion to research the history of ID yourself. Very well, let's try this again. Maybe this time you'll actually read the links I give you instead of just skipping right to the reply button with more baseless accusations:
I did look at the non-wikipidea links.
The macroevolutionary prediction of a unique, historical universal phylogenetic tree is the most important, powerful, and basic conclusion from the hypothesis of universal common descent. A thorough grasp of this concept is necessary for understanding macroevolutionary deductions.
Circular reasoning. Too easy.

I read through parts of the next three "evidences" and got bored. The writer was teaching science and phylogenetic trees, but none of it evidenced evolution as true. None of evolutions gaping flaws (which I earlier listed) were addressed.

Ok. Some groups don't believe in ID. You are right. And some groups don't believe in Macro evolution.
What was the point of this?

Again... point? Obviously, the scientific community is divided on this issue, which is why your generalizing is so bad.

LOL. You actually googled "intelligent design junk-science?" Desperate. Try googling Obama is the antichrist. You'll get results for that too...

You might have missed it, but that was sarcasm. You've done nothing but make baseless accusations since you started posting in this thread.
I didn't miss it, which was why I responded in kind.
And you're wrong.
Try actually reading the links I give you this time. Saying I have no observational data to back up my claims when I clearly did so on multiple occasions just makes you look foolish.

Claims that: you have fossils? Nope.
That macro-evolution exists? Nope.

Here is a very good FAQ for beginners; you might try getting aquainted with the basics of evolutionary theory before getting into the deeper stuff. It will also clear up a lot of your misconceptions about the roles of science and religion (I.E., intelligent design):
Gee thanks. How thoughtful of you.
Here's further reading:
Seriously.. get your hands on some published material of legitimate scientists.

There's even a comprehensive OP I found from a religious website defending the existence of macro-evolution:
So what? What about the religious group that protests at soldiers funerals? Are you saying that religious groups (or even this one) are right?

No, not everyone can edit Wikipedia and get away with it. It's actually a fairly moderated site, and they keep records. Which is beside the point, because I told you to check the endlinks if you had some sort of bias against Wikipedia (which you clearly do), but you didn't, and skipped right to the reply button.
Ok. Go to the page on religion, science, barney, and jesus. Check all the sources and come back to me.

No. If you post a link shorter than 10 pages, I'll probably read it. If you don't even take the time to post the link on this site, why should I bother? I already know evolutionary theory anyway..

I laughed.
I'm glad that you still have a sense of humor.
Judging by the content of your posts, you're in no position to accuse anyone here of making baseless assumptions.
Actually, I can give my opinion here in the debate hall. It's what you do, and my opinions are based on fact.
Are you a parrot? Because you're pretty much just repeating back to me what I said when I critiqued your post.
Nope. I didn't say anything that you said.
I am that transitional human that has parrot feathers though. Maybe in a few thousand years I will be a parrot.

Yes, they're called "mutations"; I.E., changes to the nucleotide sequence of the genetic material of an organism. They can be caused by copying errors in the genetic material during cell division, by exposure to ultraviolet or ionizing radiation, chemical mutagens, or viruses, or can be induced by the organism itself, by cellular processes such as hypermutation.
Good. That was actually true.

As for the first question, there is strong data to suggest that eukaryotic cells actually evolved from groups of prokaryotic cells that became interdependent on each other. Here is a science article published in 2004 that addresses the matter:

That article didn't prove anything you said.

Like I said, it's quite obvious you know next to nothing about evolutionary biology.
And it's quite obvious you know next to nothing about anything.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master

GOD!, seriously homes--take some time and find out what ID is and isn't. If you say it isn't religious, you would be a liar. Even seen the Wedge Document?

Do us a solid: read the links that RDK sent and go from there. No matter how arrogant you think RDK may be acting, in this case, he is right.

Aesir

Smash Master
Well I tend to not like gang banging as I tend to save that for college parties, but I can't help but look at this segment and feel my input was needed. After all you seem to have this intense agitation toward liberal atheists might as well let you argue with one.

The average person can't locate Ohio on a map.
Not all crows are black.

See I can make them too.

Also, that was a generalization.
You are labeling ID as a quack theory? Why?
Because it is, a theory isn't just something you think up after being drunk all night.

Because fossil evidence supports a creator?
Explain your conclusion, this is a pretty broad statement I would love it if you clarified.

I could say "evolution is a quack theory" and I have accomplished nothing besides expressing my twisted logic.
Good you've acknowledge your logic is twisted and in need of reworking, that's the first step toward rationality.

ID is based in science.
Yeah and Astrology is totally legit as well.

Creation is based on Christianity. It so happens that they fit perfectly together. So... that must mean ID is false right? Stunning logic, btw.
I wanna say you're using circular logic but it's not quite that. However you're being dishonest here, the creation story has been debunked many times over, modern science and history have wonderfully done this for us.

ID is not a religious theory.
I suppose you could have a point there, but to bad it's origins are rooted in creationism. If the Supreme court had never ruled against creationism as science, ID would never have been made up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_wqwXFtmhE

This is part of a nova special on intelligent design, which confirms ID is rooted in religious thought.

It is based on scientific evidence.
Actually ID is more of a hypothesis which looks at the evidence and shrugs saying "That's the way the designer made it" However Evolution has scientific evidence.

I've posted this enough times but I feel this is really needed;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8FfMBYCkk

And the more you deny that, the more faulty your conclusions will be.
(Assumption #37).
Proclaiming your self to have all the answers is pretty unscientific.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Well I tend to not like gang banging as I tend to save that for college parties, but I can't help but look at this segment and feel my input was needed. After all you seem to have this intense agitation toward liberal atheists might as well let you argue with one.
Argue? I thought was debate.
Agitation? I'm pretty sure CRASHIC is one and he's cool. I have a problem with RDK cause he's annoying. And you're sick, do you know that kids read these threads? No one cares what you do when you're drunk.

Not all crows are black.
You misunderstood. My point was that the general public is not to be looked for as a basis for truth.
Because it is, a theory isn't just something you think up after being drunk all night.
No dude, it's something you think up when you realize that there's no way that evolution could have created us as diverse and irreducibly complex organisms. And how you have no fossils (which still no one can address, because that would be admitting a gaping hole in your theory).

Explain your conclusion, this is a pretty broad statement I would love it if you clarified.
Have you heard of the Cambrian explosion? About half a billion years ago, all kinds of new creatures started showing up in the world (as proven by fossils, actual pieces of evidence).
As a believer in Jesus Christ, I believe that creation took place over over this span of several million years. If God did not exist, I would believe gradualism impossible simply because of this. Punctuated equilibria is slightly more plausible, but it has a complete lack of cause, which is essential in all science.
http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Paleobiology/CambrianExplosion.htm
Good you've acknowledge your logic is twisted and in need of reworking, that's the first step toward rationality.
My logic isn't twisted. To use my own opinions as fact when they were clearly wrong would be twisted, which was something I was not doing.
Yeah and Astrology is totally legit as well.
I don't believe that. That isn't a fair comparison.
I wanna say you're using circular logic but it's not quite that. However you're being dishonest here, the creation story has been debunked many times over, modern science and history have wonderfully done this for us.
It hasn't been "debunked." If the creation story (not the young earth model) was "debunked," then there would be clear proof somewhere (on a web page, in a book, wherever) that people could read and stop believing in it. If that's true, please show me this.
I suppose you could have a point there, but to bad it's origins are rooted in creationism. If the Supreme court had never ruled against creationism as science, ID would never have been made up.
The supreme court does not declare scientific truth, because the constitution does not.
This is part of a nova special on intelligent design, which confirms ID is rooted in religious thought.
Luckily, the scientific community is not uniform. Homogeneous. Whatever you want to call it.
Actually ID is more of a hypothesis which looks at the evidence and shrugs saying "That's the way the designer made it" However Evolution has scientific evidence.
What evidence? honestly, I want to know.
Don't you think a creator would design organisms who have to survive in the same climates, terrains, diets, and atmospheres would have given the species similar body structures? Evolution does explain this, but I do not believe it because of other lacks in its reasoning.

Proclaiming your self to have all the answers is pretty unscientific.
I don't have all the answers. I just know that macro evolution is not supported by any real evidence, only imagination and conclusions.

At people attacking my logic: you can't answer what I have to say so you call my logic faulty. If someone here showed me transitional species that were found that dated back 2 billion years, I could say their logic sucks and they were irrational. Or I could admit I was wrong.

But the problem is, there are no fossils, no accurate time line, and no explanation for phenomena like the Cambrian Explosion. And it doesn't help that most of the evidence you post doesn't support your point. More evidence simply proves something that isn't contested, and other evidence is simply biased as hell.

So you can call my logic faulty but it isn't. So unless you can explain away my problems with evolution and what I write, I will still hold to the most logical theory: Intelligent design.

Aesir

Smash Master
Argue? I thought was debate.
1 : to give reasons for or against something : reason
2 : to contend or disagree in words : dispute

Agitation? I'm pretty sure CRASHIC is one and he's cool. I have a problem with RDK cause he's annoying. And you're sick, do you know that kids read these threads? No one cares what you do when you're drunk.
Bolded: So you're saying he's annoying like it's a fact? can you verify this statement?

Furthermore, the PG is unreadable by more then 99% of the forums viewers, the only people who can read it are mods, PG members and DH members. I some how doubt a kid is reading this.

You misunderstood. My point was that the general public is not to be looked for as a basis for truth.
Try following your own rhetoric.

God! said:
That's why your post was dumb. You guys in here act like ID is some far-out theory when it is actually very popular. Don't be ignorant about where you are. I could live in Florida and say snow was unpopular and whack.

Intelligent Design
Allows for complexity
Explains human nature that is common throughout cultures
Has a mechanism
Has Precambrian explosion (the biggest scientific piece for this)
Picks up where evolution (macro) fails so hard
Bolded: Seems like you're making the same mistake "I" did.

No dude, it's something you think up when you realize that there's no way that evolution could have created us as diverse and irreducibly complex organisms. And how you have no fossils (which still no one can address, because that would be admitting a gaping hole in your theory).
Did you look at any of the videos I posted to you? namely the one by Ken Miller which shows how our DNA and the apes DNA is so similar? Furthermore where are you getting the no fossils thing from? this sounds like you're saying "Since you can't prove it 100% then it must be false" which is a logical fallacy.

Have you heard of the Cambrian explosion? About half a billion years ago, all kinds of new creatures started showing up in the world (as proven by fossils, actual pieces of evidence).
This is something still being theorized by scientists it's on going research, there are many possible causes. You can't just write this off as god because science is still trying to find the answer.

As a believer in Jesus Christ, I believe that creation took place over over this span of several million years.
Funny how the bible doesn't support this accusation. Care to explain how you arrived at it?

If God did not exist,
Do you have evidence he does?

I would believe gradualism impossible simply because of this. Punctuated equilibria is slightly more plausible, but it has a complete lack of cause, which is essential in all science.
http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Paleobiology/CambrianExplosion.htm
PE sometimes is claimed to be a theory resting upon the lack of evidence rather than upon evidence. This is a curious, but false claim, since Eldredge and Gould spent a significant portion of their original work examining two separate lines of evidence (one involving pulmonate gastropods, the other one involving Phacopsid trilobites) demonstrating the issues behind PE (1972). Similarly, discussion of actual paleontological evidence consumes a significant proportion of pages in Gould and Eldredge 1977. This also answers those who claimed that E&G said that PE was unverifiable.
taken from here: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/punc-eq.html

My logic isn't twisted. To use my own opinions as fact when they were clearly wrong would be twisted, which was something I was not doing.
No one in this thread has done this.

I don't believe that. That isn't a fair comparison.
Yet intelligent design is legit? why? they both have the same merits. They both look toward the super natural rather then at the natural evidence.

It hasn't been "debunked." If the creation story (not the young earth model) was "debunked," then there would be clear proof somewhere (on a web page, in a book, wherever) that people could read and stop believing in it. If that's true, please show me this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVRsWAjvQSg Debunked....

The supreme court does not declare scientific truth, because the constitution does not.
No but the constitution bars religion being taught in class rooms because it's unconstitutional because of this courts can rule against "theories" because they're not scientific. Guess what? It's not scientific. It's not like Liberal judges make these cases, the most notorious one (the dover trial) was judged by a conservative judge.

Luckily, the scientific community is not uniform. Homogeneous. Whatever you want to call it.
Unfortunately for you the majority of scientists agree with evolution.

What evidence? honestly, I want to know.
Search user name Goldshadow he has some pretty good posts about the subject.

Don't you think a creator would design organisms who have to survive in the same climates, terrains, diets, and atmospheres would have given the species similar body structures? Evolution does explain this, but I do not believe it because of other lacks in its reasoning.
Scientific theories take facts, which evolution is and applies those facts to theorys. So far the theory of evolution is the only theory that applies all the known facts.

You seem to think there has to be a designer involved and if that's the case why do you chose ID? Evolution isn't exlusive to atheists, evolution doens't explain the origins of life where life came from it explains how life evolved. We're talking about evolution not abiogenesis.

I don't have all the answers. I just know that macro evolution is not supported by any real evidence, only imagination and conclusions.
However it is, it's supported by the fossile record, by DNA, by observable data. Anyone who denies this either is being dishonest with themselves or has a mental dysfunction. Judging by the way you're posting it would seem like it's the former and not the latter.

At people attacking my logic: you can't answer what I have to say so you call my logic faulty. If someone here showed me transitional species that were found that dated back 2 billion years, I could say their logic sucks and they were irrational. Or I could admit I was wrong.
You're expectations are too high the fossil record isn't complete, how can one produce something that hasn't been found yet? Also it seems like you're just willing to throw away the transition fossils we have (which is quite a bit mind you) writing it off as "Well we don't have a complete record so it's probably false" Which is silly.

But the problem is, there are no fossils, no accurate time line, and no explanation for phenomena like the Cambrian Explosion. And it doesn't help that most of the evidence you post doesn't support your point. More evidence simply proves something that isn't contested, and other evidence is simply biased as hell.
http://mars.astrobio.net/exclusive/134/the-cambrian-explosion-tooth-and-claw

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/07/what_caused_the_cambrian_explo.php

Some possible causes.

So you can call my logic faulty but it isn't. So unless you can explain away my problems with evolution and what I write, I will still hold to the most logical theory: Intelligent design.
It's anything but logical, in fact all it is is poking holes in a theory that's still evolving (pardon the pun) and simply saying "Welp god did it." Or some other designer. That's not how science works, that's not how logic works.

RDK

Smash Hero
GOD!, what you fail to realize is that, besides the value of actually reading links that we give you and researching topics for yourself, intelligent design is one giant unnecessary inference with almost no valid evidence to back it up. I could very well say that the "Designer" is a pixie living inside my closet instead of the traditional Judeo-Christian Yahweh, and would be perfectly justified in doing so, because intelligent design says nothing about the designer, and in the end it doesn't really care, because it's not trying to advance science or our understanding of the universe. It's main purpose is to act as a Trojan Horse in allowing religion into the science classroom.

Much of ID is an argument from analogy (it looks like an outboard motor, so somebody must have designed it!). It is based on the assumption that life as we know it could not have com about by natural means. It is an argument from ignorance.

There have been virtually no pro-ID papers published in respectable peer-review journals within the scientific community. Besides a small handful of dissenters (Behe and Dembski are the first to come to mind) who have been shamed in the public domain on multiple occasions, nobody in the scientific community takes ID seriously. You're being deliberately foolish.

Mewter

Smash Master
Bolded: So you're saying he's annoying like it's a fact? can you verify this statement?
Don't be silly, Aesir. People are entitled to their opinions.
Furthermore, the PG is unreadable by more then 99% of the forums viewers, the only people who can read it are mods, PG members and DH members. I some how doubt a kid is reading this.
What if some of the mods or DH members or PG members are kids?

Try following your own rhetoric.
Just because evolution is widely accepted doesn't cover the absence of evidence. Your logic is pretty silly, actually...

Bolded: Seems like you're making the same mistake "I" did.
Not necessarily. Just because something is popular, that doesn't mean it's the majority.

Did you look at any of the videos I posted to you? namely the one by Ken Miller which shows how our DNA and the apes DNA is so similar? Furthermore where are you getting the no fossils thing from? this sounds like you're saying "Since you can't prove it 100% then it must be false" which is a logical fallacy.
How do you cover the holes then?

This is something still being theorized by scientists it's on going research, there are many possible causes. You can't just write this off as god because science is still trying to find the answer.
Another "give it time" argument.
Look, it's highly likely you'll never find what you're looking for, but when you do, let me know. ;)

Funny how the bible doesn't support this accusation. Care to explain how you arrived at it?
Time may not be the same at creation. Heck, it may even be a metaphor for millions of years.

Do you have evidence he does?
Do we really need to argue this with you?

Yet intelligent design is legit? why? they both have the same merits. They both look toward the super natural rather then at the natural evidence.
Yet evolution has no evidence at all.
Funny.

Non-biased report, please.

The rest of your post is a repetition of the above quotes.
I'll leave it to GOD! to tear it apart, now. Please correct me if I got any of my points wrong, GOD!, and I'll try to improve my argument.

Now, why is there a religious argument in the Center Stage thread? This thread started out okay, and then...
It broke.:ohwell:

RDK

Smash Hero
Mewter, I'm going to try to be as nice as possible when I say this. Playing Devil's Jesus's Advocate is not your strong suit. ;)

GOD!, here's The Wedge Document. Since it's pretty apparent you're not well rehearsed in the history and motive of your own religion, you should probably acquaint yourself with the origin of it all. The Wedge Document proves that ID's main purpose is not to further science, it is not based on scientific principles, and is stealth creationism.

Here's some further reading about ID's failed attempt at masking its religious roots. Here's even more.

Top Bottom