• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Center Stage

.Marik

is a social misfit
I have a suggestion.

See, this is the Debate Hall, and that's fine and dandy.

However, debates tend to be two oppositional sides trying to defeat one another, and discussion doesn't travel outside of the immediate argument.

Debates imply conclusion. I have an idea that could spawn more discussion.

Dialogue. The exact polar opposite of a debate. Debates create a close-minded attitude, a determination to be right, and dialogue could promote understanding between a topic's participants.

So, I think it could be a possibility for increased activity if we label certain threads "Dialogue: *Insert thread title here*."

Dialogues are collaborative. The discussions can remain open, for further understanding and teaching of a subject.

I'm not sure how people feel about this, but it's something I thought of in World Religions class the other day.

I think it's viable for the Debate Hall, and can be used as a tactic to promote understanding and acceptance amongst individuals.

But then again, this is the Internet, so it may not work.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Oh, you mean what they try to do with about 20% efficiency on the User Blogs? :laugh:

IMHO let's keep the Debate Hall a place to debate--oh, and btw, good DHers will display said aforementioned traits already. There really is no need to hold their hands to make them do so...

Mewter

Smash Master
Remember how the room is described:
"Intelligent Discussion on a variety of issues."
Dialogue could work, and it may not.

If Debaters are supposed to have those qualities, then they should succeed at it more often than the Userblogs does, right?

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Guys remember this is a thread for showcasing your skills, not a social room. Let's keep it that way.

Aesir

Smash Master
I am currently beginning to work on a debatable thread...

"Should we put Sanctions on North Korea?"

I'll post more about it soon.

No one steal this debate, please.
I would love to debate that.

Anything Foreign Policy, Economic, Domestic. I love to debate, just a heads up for any of you posters out there who want to challenge me.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I'll give my two cents on what happened.

People stopped posting when I became a debater. Also, please don't assume that I am trying to toot my horn by saying something along the lines of "I was mad bossy in the PG," because I am not. You can even check it out yourself. The six weeks since I became a debater have been far less active than the six that I took to get in. As for why, maybe we just had more to debate about. Perhaps there were people here whose debating tactics on a subpar level (I'm not naming names ;)). I think the main reason that people stopped is because of the detachment they sort of feel with the DH in general. Since the DNT closed up (which I unfortunately was a part of :embarrass), no PGer really knows where they stand in terms of progression into the DH.

I can personally testify for the fact that some of the posts I saw in the DNT kept my spirits up when I thought there was no chance for me to get in. This positive reinforcement I feel can really help you guys out. Instead, the DNT gets locked & the following happened:
  1. Hillbilly & Omni7 show up, make some noise, but don't follow through
  2. Two ID supporters left
  3. Shade comes in as fast as he comes out
  4. Aqua comes in, makes a few posts, and gets in (you can take that for what it's worth. I personally think she deserved her admission. ;)).
What I would suggest that all the PGers do: Keep making new, intelligible threads. Reading a paper, a Time or a Newsweek will give you around 4 or 5 topics that are very debatable. Construct your threads with a lot of sources, and defend your position (should you happen to take on in your OP). You do that, and you will go places.

That's just one guy's opinion...

RDK

Smash Hero
I think Omni and Hillbilly were good enough to get a while ago, but it seems like they stopped posting...

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Alright guys I just got internet again today and I am ready to become a good debater. Whos up for a debate with the ol roach?

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
"Should Sanctions be set upon North Korea?"

My topic is finally posted; I think that it's probably my best work in the PG so far.
It is--however, use more in line quotes. After all, what looks better if you wanted to, say, look at a profile:
This or http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=150303?

Alright guys I just got internet again today and I am ready to become a good debater. Whos up for a debate with the ol roach?
Allow me to stop you briefly. As opposed to someone picking a topic and you debating with one person, rather, make a topic, pick a point, and then defend that point. That will get you plenty noticed in the PG. For more, see my last post.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I think Omnicron deserves to be in the DH. He's been stuck in the PG for what seems to have been forever, and I think he's out-debated almost everyone else in this sub-room.

That..... actually sounds like a good idea. We did that in my middle school debate club once. That is, assigned people to devil's advocate. It went AMAZING.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I'm finding it hard to create a thread about a topic that the overwhelming majority wont agree with me on.

Is it possible if we play devils advocate? Or take the stance of another individual(that I wouldn't necessarily agree with)?
Trust me, there is one topic which not everyone agrees with you on. Pick up a Time, Newsweek, Economist, or any periodical of your choosing and go from there.

In all honesty, debates need to be more like the one Omnicron just put up, rather than copping out IMHO and doing the devil's advocate number just to start debate.

That..... actually sounds like a good idea. We did that in my middle school debate club once. That is, assigned people to devil's advocate. It went AMAZING.
The results have been middling here @ best.

Oh, and apply what I said above as well.

I know. I'm in the process of writing up a **** debate concerning Obama. And this time, it's gonna be complete. :x So hype it up and post there when it's ready, guys. XD

CStick

Smash Lord
I have a few ideas in which I probably AM the devil's advocate on going by popular opinion in the political survey thread. I'll see if I can type one up later tonight after work.

Yeah, I was just about to go do that. I'm going to add a summary section, then defend my position. Thanks KrazyGlue, I really appreciate the output. (:

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Well, my debate is up. I like to think I did a pretty good job on it. :p
As promised, I read and reread your thread several times. So let's get the criticisms out of the way first. You hopefully know that there is no antipathy from any statements I may make on your debate thread:

1. On the first point that you made, it was redundant for you to make the same point three times concerning how Obama wants to lengthen school days. When you make the same point three times, it sounds as if you don't have a point to make. Rather, you could have quoted the first part, then mentioned the point is duly addressed with two in line quotes like here and here.
  2. There was a glittering generality IMHO here:
    Obama wants America's youth to have a fighting chance in tomorrow’s world. Right now, the biggest names in school superiority are Asian countries, namely, Taiwan, Japan, and China.
    Just flat out avoid comments like this. It makes your argument appear weaker than it is.
  3. Don't source like this all the time: Source: The Partisan. If the sourcing you do follows the flow of a sentence, it is more easier to read. Check out Omnicron's last thread on North Korea or some of my later work in the PG for examples on how to do it.
  4. The number of days that a school is in session is not a competition, so don't list it as such.
  5. The second half of the OP is improperly quoting and/or has vast formatting errors
  6. Your second con listed is not really that much of a con (or you failed to show, with sources, that it is one).
  7. Where is your evidence on the high academic performance of the American school system, considering that you claimed the Eastern Asian countries had higher marks before & that you show no evidence for this claim?

I can say this much though: This is your best argument presented in the PG (as all the rest of your threads are just "What do you think on X" kind of topics), though I do believe you have more work to do before becoming a debater.

Questions? Comments? You know where to shout.

Well, I asked CK about the broken tags, and he said "Azua" so I asked Azua and she said "because swf sucks
i have no idea"
:/
I'll keep trying to fix the tags.

Sounds interesting. I'll go check it out.

EDIT:
TigerWoods said:
3.) Michael Phelp's usage of marijuana has caused many of his sponsors to cut ties with him. Barring him from the next Olympic Games has also been considered.
Or something along those lines. Anyways, I have a problem with this. You included someone that isn't so, influencial, so to speak, when all your other examples were political people of importance. There is a thick line there, IMO. When someone politically involved does something like this, it should affect their stading with the public. People generally won't want a "dirty" leader or representative.

But when Michael Phelps did this, there were some measures that could have been seen as neccessary, and others not. His sponsers' cutting ties with him was a good move because, again, the general public won't want to by products associated with one who mokes illegal drugs, for this case. But there is also a big line seperating his economical and industrial impact and him attending and participating in the Olympic Games. The Olympic Games are more for personal gain. Even if he did that, people will look past it once he wins medal for the United States, as it does not have an important or significant impact in anyone's lives.

So what I'm saying is that you should consider taking out the Michael example because, being compared with only political and thusly wildly important examples, it creates a slew of exceptions and lines. If not, I would recommend making a more diverse set of examples, so they are not put into such sharp contrast against each other, so to speak.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Sounds interesting. I'll go check it out.

EDIT:

Or something along those lines. Anyways, I have a problem with this. You included someone that isn't so, influencial, so to speak, when all your other examples were political people of importance. There is a thick line there, IMO. When someone politically involved does something like this, it should affect their stading with the public. People generally won't want a "dirty" leader or representative.

But when Michael Phelps did this, there were some measures that could have been seen as neccessary, and others not. His sponsers' cutting ties with him was a good move because, again, the general public won't want to by products associated with one who mokes illegal drugs, for this case. But there is also a big line seperating his economical and industrial impact and him attending and participating in the Olympic Games. The Olympic Games are more for personal gain. Even if he did that, people will look past it once he wins medal for the United States, as it does not have an important or significant impact in anyone's lives.

So what I'm saying is that you should consider taking out the Michael example because, being compared with only political and thusly wildly important examples, it creates a slew of exceptions and lines. If not, I would recommend making a more diverse set of examples, so they are not put into such sharp contrast against each other, so to speak.
Ahh I see what you mean. That really was a horribly weak example xD. Thanks!

EDIT:

Also, here is a link to my best argument(and one of my only :(... I really should be more active around here).

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244040

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Sarcasm? Sorry, 10+ hours of studying has destroyed my sense of humor.
I assumed it to be sarcasm, but Aesir always has the kindest things to say about everyone so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. :grin:

Anyway, check out some of my posts. I could put much more effort into my arguments to be honest, and that being said they don't do me too much justice. The Proving Grounds isn't too captivating. Nevertheless, I've still managed to make some logical, irrefutable points. I feel that it's apparent that I can hang with other DH'ers. I'm currently in a debate / argument-based research class so I have plenty of new debate topics to post if I get accepted into the DH, not to mention some good points.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I assumed it to be sarcasm, but Aesir always has the kindest things to say about everyone so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. :grin:

Anyway, check out some of my posts. I could put much more effort into my arguments to be honest, and that being said they don't do me too much justice. The Proving Grounds isn't too captivating. Nevertheless, I've still managed to make some logical, irrefutable points. I feel that it's apparent that I can hang with other DH'ers. I'm currently in a debate / argument-based research class so I have plenty of new debate topics to post if I get accepted into the DH, not to mention some good points.
I'll step in and give my two cents.

I'm naturally going to say no right now. No one PGer could make a one thread and then find themselves in the DH. Or, if they did, some dses would be in heavy play. However, your debating has been okay so far, I would give it a 7.5/10 or so.

Really, your best plan of attack to get in the DH is make good topics, defend them, and spark debating amongst your fellow PGers. Do that, and you should be in in no time. Here's hoping that when you do it, CK doesn't keep you in for an
extra four weeks
! :laugh:
IT'S A JOKE!

I'll step in and give my two cents.

I'm naturally going to say no right now. No one PGer could make a one thread and then find themselves in the DH. Or, if they did, some dses would be in heavy play. However, your debating has been okay so far, I would give it a 7.5/10 or so.

Really, your best plan of attack to get in the DH is make good topics, defend them, and spark debating amongst your fellow PGers. Do that, and you should be in in no time. Here's hoping that when you do it, CK doesn't keep you in for an
extra four weeks
! :laugh:
IT'S A JOKE!
Olol you completelly forgot about Aqua though. XD

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
There needs to be more DH'ers posting in the PG's. We need topics that are more conducive to debating instead of opinion-based dialogue/arguments.

Top Bottom