• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Only works in FD though, Haze... which is, regardless, not a good counterpick for a Captain Falcon, heh. In fact, it should be the first stage that you should ban.

Sooooo yeah. It's basically useless for me :p Yoshi's Island ftw

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Only works in FD though, Haze... which is, regardless, not a good counterpick for a Captain Falcon, heh. In fact, it should be the first stage that you should ban.

Sooooo yeah. It's basically useless for me :p Yoshi's Island ftw
true but i would miight take mk there and dont forget lots of friendly matches that i wanto win HAHA

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
oh yeah did we ever find out if grab release to raptor boost (offstage) was 100% legit on MK?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I don't think it's completely legit, but it's a good pseudo. Not to be spammed(unless it's true obv.), but is really good and can catch a lot of people by surprise.

Yung Mei

i landed it in a friendly on lylat cruise, but i agree with you

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
If you're at the tip of the ledge, you're most likely going to die after the Raptor Boost. However, I think it's easier to pull off at the ledge, and leaves the MK with less time to react. It might be the only true way of doing it, as well. You can survive on BF if you do it on the two mid platforms, though. I only recommend this near the ledge (in many situations, I don't recommend this at all), as AR > Usmash is better for KOing MK, but this has its uses and shouldn't be taken for granted.

Has anyone tried AR > Run-off > FF > Falcon Dive? It could suit better than Raptor Boost, mainly because you have a chance to survive. It's really good if the MK tries to use Tornado to recover or possibly Shuttle Loop in an attempt to escape an AR setup.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I got the idea from Dive always beating Nado from beneath. Unless the mechanics of aerial and grounded Dive differ, it should work, to an extent.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I think they DO differ, iirc... but hey, it's always a good idea to try.

Oh, and Calvo, I discovered that I can't buffer for **** lol, so no way I'm going to do GR -> Raptor Boost as an usual tactic. It's easier just to knee the opponent for me :S

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
^I broke my 666 post count just say I could this in response to that post:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :laugh:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Best tools I could suggest for that MU are Uair, Utilt, and Ftilt. Bair's also good, but don't attempt to approach with it. Jab isn't very good in this MU imo, but if you get one, use it for what it's worth. Same with Grab. If he's offstage, his at a disadvantage if we're still onstage baiting him to make a decision between up B or Phantasm. If he uses up B, he can get edgehogged, or easily intercepted with something like a flub knee at low percents. If he uses Phantasm, he's easy prey to just about anything. Dsmash is really good here since it can out-range Falco's standing grab.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
whats the frame advantage for the 1st hit of nair and landing on the ground simultaneously? I was messin arround in training mode and i got 1st hit of nair to combo into SH nair and i thought it was cool lol

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
whats the frame advantage for the 1st hit of nair and landing on the ground simultaneously? I was messin arround in training mode and i got 1st hit of nair to combo into SH nair and i thought it was cool lol
FH Nair (Fresh) Advantage @ 0 on jump: Link +11, Jiggz +15, Samus +11. The reason this is a good frametrap is that you cannot buffer airdodges or attacks out of hitstun, so Jiggz has a 4 frame window to jump (and likely still get hit) or airdodge without the help of buffering.
Credits to Lordy. I think FH-Nair > SH-Nair was a true combo on Olimar, though.

On the topic, has anyone tried FH-Nair > Uair? I find it to work a surprising lot since people tend to jump away from FH-Nair a lot, which is a common way to land up B or something from it.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
ohhhhhh you know i was looking and i saw that but i thought it meant fullhop not first hit. I was testing on mk and sh nair worked on him, i think the frame advantage is dependant on weight, the more weight the smaller the advantage. uair works on mk too, first hit nair -> uair -> dash attack is cool. What im really curious about is nair to footstool. could 1st hit nair to footstool to 1st hit nair infinite? would be so dumb lol

lordhelmet

Smash Master
What im really curious about is nair to footstool. could 1st hit nair to footstool to 1st hit nair infinite? would be so dumb lol
notsureifsrs.jpg

At least on ROB, I couldn't get the nair to footstool to combo. ROB has a few frames to jump out of it - it's pretty close though.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
It is an infinite, iirc. On R.O.B.

You need to buffer it all, though, heh. Search for "infinite captain falcon ROB" on youtube.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
But i think the frame advantage from nair is weight dependant and rob is like the 10th heaviest in the game. You should try it on someone whos light but still has a decent fall speed. like mk. Even if you couldnt do it consistantly first hit nair to footstool to dair to knee alone would make it useful

lordhelmet

Smash Master
ROB and Samus are the ONLY characters worth practicing it on. It's not even viable on them - it's so ridiculously hard on anyone else.

IE you can FH Nair > Footstool > Bair/Dair Snake but the opportunity cost is losing time when you could be mastering platform cancels or lulzy ATs like sliding jabs and shutter smashes.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Captain Falcon boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Your advantage, I think. Other than that I don't know a lot much...

If you want hints against a Captain Falcon... Nair nair nair nair :p

Yung Mei

it looks like

dash->turn around->during the slide, pivot->*insert command here*

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Skid Cancelling Sheild Grab.

This got me thinking.

Captain Falcon has an amazing skid.

His dash sucks though. I've been experimenting with cancelling his dash, with his skid animation (both foward facing and backward facing).

I actually have found a glitch that cancels a dash into standing position. It sounds sexy, but it is not. Because you have to dash one way, then dash the opposite way, and cancel that with a pivot.

The "impractical" flag comes to mind.

However, ISJR and AC'ing, are these Capt. Falcon's strong suits?

Or, is SH Falcon Punch mixups his strong suit? It kills at mid 70%, ****'s wild!

Top Bottom