• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
I gotta say, that haze vs izaw CF/link match inspired me to jab a lot more. I've started using repeated jabs and jab cancels on my buddies. How reliable/useful is falcon's jabbing game, and what are some good follow ups or mindgames besides jab>grab?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Andgravy :
Jab jab>shield>grab
Jab>runaway
Jab>Tilt/dashgrab if he SDIs away
Jab jab>knee if you wanna look flashy
Jab>FFAC cross up Bair>jab/grab
Jab> SH Nair (timed so the 2nd hit hits low)

Etc etc. Nothing out of jab is guaranteed btw, it's all mixups and stuff.

@Haze : Fthrow CG is legit till 4x % on a wall (PS1 ground/fire, Delfino, RC, Orpheon). Makes them go wtf.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Fthrow is a very good pseudo, but you DO have to know how to buffer pretty well. Otherwise, you'll probably only get 2 f-throws in until they escape.

Still, it's pretty good for Castle Siege's transitions and middle stage, for example.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
I've got a question... How the hell do I beat Mario consistently?

He's got a pretty quick and strong bair and fsmash, which wouldn't be a problem if he didn't have a spamable projectile that screws up most of my approaches, so I end up having to camp. Even when I camp, his lag when his hits the floor from Nair and Bair is nonexistent, so he can press forward with a floaty jigglypuff style entourage of aerials.

Shield grabbing works sometimes. He's floaty enough to be out of Falcon's reach for a portion of the time in my experience. I did notice I can jab his fireballs to stop them (yay!) but that only helps so much. What do I do? D:

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Here's my foolproof plan on dealing with difficult characters

Step 1: Start match

Step 2: Play normally

Step 3: see conditions

If doing well, continue to play normally
If doing poorly, quickly rip the wire out of opponent's controller
If they have wireless controller, deploy an M84 stun grenade and hide the controller while they are incapacitated​

In all honesty, i am not qualified to give advice as falcon. This post is just for lulz

PZ

Smash Lord
Lol xD. Strategy noted, hopefully I won't have to resort to it.
On a jumpan mario(aerial spammy) you camp and space lots n lots of utilt n uair maybe bair too.
On a luigi mario(camps n w8s for your move) you just pick a stage where he cant outcamp you usually a large stage like pokemon stadium, yoshi's island or final destination so run run run.
I suggest taking him to yi or ps1 as a nuetral and rc and lylat as a counterpick sense they kinda screw up mario's recovery.

Naturally in this mu youll use lots of utilt or perfectly autocancelled bair. Uairs when you get confortable with them as a campy move. O dont forget to run away for we have alot of mobility compared to most characters in the game. Single jabs, fh nairs, ftilts(reg or down ur choice), and utilt for spacing. You can probably catch some the mario off gaurd with a hyphen usmash or falcon kick after he camps a bit. Besides that idk wut to do lol.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I've got a question... How the hell do I beat Mario consistently?

He's got a pretty quick and strong bair and fsmash, which wouldn't be a problem if he didn't have a spamable projectile that screws up most of my approaches, so I end up having to camp. Even when I camp, his lag when his hits the floor from Nair and Bair is nonexistent, so he can press forward with a floaty jigglypuff style entourage of aerials.

Shield grabbing works sometimes. He's floaty enough to be out of Falcon's reach for a portion of the time in my experience. I did notice I can jab his fireballs to stop them (yay!) but that only helps so much. What do I do? D:
Pshield his fireballz, then Ftilt his approaches.

If his Bair is strong then don't approach him when he's facing backwards, or counter it with your Bair.
And don't try to punish his landing lag if there isn't any, just outspace him with Utilt and such and wait for him to commit to a laggy move.

Falco really likes his opponents like his ladies :
he wait for them to commit then he punches them in the face.

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Good thoughts! I feared I'd have to do something like this.. and I've noticed that campy Falcon is needed for many MUs.

Yeah, I just now tried using more U-tilts, F-tilts, and auto cancelled B-airs, works much better than trying to be aggressive like against Link. Thanks!

I guess Mario's aerials and projectiles really shut down a lot of things you can do.. :(

PZ

Smash Lord
Good thoughts! I feared I'd have to do something like this.. and I've noticed that campy Falcon is needed for many MUs.

Yeah, I just now tried using more U-tilts, F-tilts, and auto cancelled B-airs, works much better than trying to be aggressive like against Link. Thanks!

I guess Mario's aerials and projectiles really shut down a lot of things you can do.. :(
Not as bad as our utilt shuts him down.:awesome:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
teluoborg is going to ñsmash in Spain, isn't he? Looking forward to some sweet vids.

Also, Pktck, here's one thing to remember when battling an experimented Mario:

Never, EVER recover using raptor boost. He'll cape yo' a** easily. If he capes your Falcon Dive, he'll reverse your movement but it's not very significant, plus you gain some height due to the cape's strange physics.

That's... what I really know about that match-up, heh. Other than that, PZ already said everything.

PZ

Smash Lord
teluoborg is going to ñsmash in Spain, isn't he? Looking forward to some sweet vids.

Also, Pktck, here's one thing to remember when battling an experimented Mario:

Never, EVER recover using raptor boost. He'll cape yo' a** easily. If he capes your Falcon Dive, he'll reverse your movement but it's not very significant, plus you gain some height due to the cape's strange physics.

That's... what I really know about that match-up, heh. Other than that, PZ already said everything.
In other words falcon dive like its melee unexpectedly or raptor boost the complete opposite direction...

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Lol. Gotcha, I'll make sure to not raptor boost. Thanks everyone! ^^ Those tips actually boosted the rest of my game as well. I was trying to be more of a melee-ish falcon than I had intended, not a spacing brawl falcon.

PZ

Smash Lord
Lol. Gotcha, I'll make sure to not raptor boost. Thanks everyone! ^^ Those tips actually boosted the rest of my game as well. I was trying to be more of a melee-ish falcon than I had intended, not a spacing brawl falcon.
~O and when mario is in the air uair like you just dont care~

Lionman

Smash Champion
I wont go because im a poor guy who retired but i have to say Ally is going to attend

Why i wont attend? i dont want to waste my money in attending tourneys full of Metaknights or Other imposible match ups, seriously Brawl sucks when you talk about competitive level, anyways i love low tier tourneys but is not enough for me to assist tourneys.

There will be Melee but i play it for fun and because i want to be a decent Falcon player in all smash games

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
The Mario match-up isn't all that bad once you get around the recovery issues. You should focus more around Bair than anything else against Mario imo, because not only does it work good for pressuring, it has low cooldown time upon landing so getting punished for it being shielded isn't an issue.

Fireball spamming Marios are pretty easy to get around too. If they're just trying to keep a distance between Mario and Falcon the entire match, that means they're reacting poorly to pressure. Mario shouldn't have to play defensive against Falcon since he has so many options to shut us down. That's just boosting Falcon's chances of winning. lulz.

...and when Mario's in the air horizontally, keep an eye on the direction he's facing. If he's facing forward, chances are he's going to use a fireball or Nair. It's pretty easy to punish him for both of those moves, so you can either shield and wait, or u/ftilt. If he's approaching backward, or RAR's a reverse jump, he's going to Bair you-- which is perhaps the biggest match-up leveling move he has. If you think you can pull off a utilt, go for it, but I would recommend trying to shield grab him or some other option out of shield.

Lionman

Smash Champion
Because the top tiers in general

Melee top tiers are really balanced, yes, maybe some top tier characters are more broken than others but every decent character has a chance in that game

in Brawl the top tier playing sucks, there isnt any top characters who plays offensive, maybe Diddy or Marth but they must deal against plank and other ****** gameplaying styles

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Ally is going to ñgames!? Holy crap, now I feel even more awful about not being able to go there... it was possible but... :(

Wise words, Darky-Sama. Except it's a platformer fighter :p

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
The strategy seems pretty straightforward now :) Thanks Darky-Sama, everyone. I'm going to play the same guy tomorrow, we'll see how it goes. You should add this information to your Match Up thread. (I'm kinda surprised the thread isn't completed yet).

Fireball spamming Marios are pretty easy to get around too. If they're just trying to keep a distance between Mario and Falcon the entire match, that means they're reacting poorly to pressure. Mario shouldn't have to play defensive against Falcon since he has so many options to shut us down. That's just boosting Falcon's chances of winning. lulz.
The guy I play mostly uses the fireballs when I approach to screw me up or when he's approaching. He doesn't play campy characters except Snake :p.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Because the top tiers in general

Melee top tiers are really balanced, yes, maybe some top tier characters are more broken than others but every decent character has a chance in that game

in Brawl the top tier playing sucks, there isnt any top characters who plays offensive, maybe Diddy or Marth but they must deal against plank and other ****** gameplaying styles
U just mad because Falcon is top tier in melee and crap tier in brawl.

The only anticompetitive thing in brawl is MK, and only because he nullifies the CP system.
Every single other issue can be found in melee.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
MK-less tournaments already exist fortunately. Poor guy, can't catch a break due to being way too good :p

Also, Pktck, Snake isn't exactly a campy character. His tilts beat everyone HARD, he really doesn't need to camp.

taevion0

Smash Cadet
i found 2 in the database but can someone tell me where i can find all the falcon vids where someone gets hit by the falcon punch during a stake/tounament match? a compilation maybe? and with the crowd going wild? thanks

brawl and/or melee

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
damn :/ that was my last hope for that MU..
i use falcon in low tiers and i think jiggs and yoshi are too hard :/
guess i have to pick a low tier secondary lol

and there isnt even a matchup guide of these two at the falcon boards :(
im so clueless in these MUs
yoshi camps eggs and pivot grabs all approaches all dai..cant even spotdodge that sh*t lol
then i get GR CG'd to edge and be in a horrible position..
and jiggs beats the sh*t outta me in the air, pressures my shield with retreting areals almost always unable to punish :S
punishing landing is kinda hard too :/

some tipps would be really appreciated, especially for yoshi

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Jiggz is bad lol.

Don't stay on the ground. If you do, punish approaches with shield grabs, pivot grabs, utilts, and jabs.

Chase her in the air with bair and uair.

If she catches you in any funny combos just SDI her drill, and DI her uairs and bairs what have you.

If you're good you can combo her with First Hit Nair -> Knee

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
uhhmm sounds good , thx. i think i just played the MU horribly wrong.

i edited my post above. do you also have some solutions for my yoshi problems?

lordhelmet

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYIQNKKhJkw

Abuse Yoshi's shield with lots of jab pressure.

Utilt > Yoshi's grab.

If you get grabbed, mash out as fast as possible to mess up his timing.

Stick to air combat. SDI Yoshi's bair (up), dair (up). Outspace him with bair and uair.

Don't get caught by down-b, or usmash KOs.

Footstool him out of his second jump recovery.

That's off the top of my head. Hope it helpz

Top Bottom