• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
But the control stick method gets you no lag if you mess up.
I meant when it came to using an aerial to PC. I thought that's what we were discussing. Control stick down is best overall.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Do you tap down? Because I do it by holding down and then letting it go when I'm at the right height. Does the tap method cancel when you press down or when the control stick returns to neutral?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Do you tap down? Because I do it by holding down and then letting it go when I'm at the right height. Does the tap method cancel when you press down or when the control stick returns to neutral?
I believe I've been unintentionally doing this; you may be right. My timing isn't always spot on when PCing, so I guess I just switch them up. It would be good if someone could test that.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure it's releasing the control stick from down that actually causes the PC. I think that aerials do it because if you use c-stick or dair, it overrides the control stick or something for a frame, essentially "releasing" down.

Just my hypothesis. I don't really know how brawl mechanics work, but I do know for a certainty that you can PC by simply letting the control stick return from down to neutral. This knowledge doesn't necessarily exclude other methods/ideas.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
ill just make a video on platform canceling with just tapping or something, along with follow ups or some **** :V

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
You can do it while holding down continuously. I always kept the control stick held down at an angel while doing a PC, never bothered releasing it after it was completed either. Sometimes I would move the control stick just slightly so it registered as a fall-through once the PC was complete, but it works fine either way.

Also, you can PC with specials if your techskill is good enough. I'm not entirely sure if you can do it with Falcon or not since I haven't played this game in wtf ages, but I do remember testing it with some other characters and managed to make it work. I think that has to do with the IASA frames too, which is why normal aerials are much more reliable.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I'm pretty sure it's releasing the control stick from down that actually causes the PC. I think that aerials do it because if you use c-stick or dair, it overrides the control stick or something for a frame, essentially "releasing" down.
Yesz, just yesz.
That's why you can PC with tapping down, holding down + Cstick up/sides or + shield, tapping Cstick down, etc. and get the same result.

Heck you can even do a quarter circle to do a PC to direct dash and it's ****ing sexy.

Also, characters with multiple jumps can only PC out of their first jump.

PZ

Smash Lord
Yesz, just yesz.
That's why you can PC with tapping down, holding down + Cstick up/sides or + shield, tapping Cstick down, etc. and get the same result.

Heck you can even do a quarter circle to do a PC to direct dash and it's ****ing sexy.

Also, characters with multiple jumps can only PC out of their first jump.
but u forget 1 thing multiple jump characters have like no reason to do it.
Pit useful
Kirby peak of jump surprisingly makes ur jump higher if u PC cuz without PC kirby can't FH to the platform but with you barely make it
D3 lol useful
MK ...You can basically FH n get the same result as your PC
Charizard haven't tested I don't like PT but I like charizard

All tested on SV 2 months ago

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
What. PC has the same use for everyone : be able to land and do a ground action faster. Only the ground actions vary between characters.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
A few days ago, I played a level 9 G&W and I used raptor boost to recover on stage. But what happened, was a raptor boost to jab lock. I've been playing around with raptor boost ever since to see what else I can find. . . . . and I got nothing so far.
My question is, is there any research or data on how to capitalize from the raptor boost?

Yung Mei

What? AFAIK raptor boost to jab lock isnt possible unless you somehow land with no lag and are able to F-Tilt lock (1-3 hits depending how far they go, or unless they get stuck against a wall), and even then, its not a jab lock :V

Winnar

Smash Lord
ftilt lock is just angled down ftilt?

I feel like such a scrub again with all this knowledge I'm missing hehe

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Woody, if you hit your opponent with an aerial raptor boost while at a certain height, you will hit him and then have an immense ammount of lag, grounded. AFAIK, and like Calvo said, there is no way to combo (using a grounded move) after hitting someone with an aerial raptor boost...

... wth happened!? o_o Where did that match take place?

Anyway, to answer your question, the best raptor boost for combos is the grounded raptor boost, by far. There is even a "scrub combo" which is Raptor Boost -> Falcon Dive. Rarely works, though. The best "combo" is no doubt RB -> Uair.

As for an aerial RB combo... Heh, I've got nothing. Unless you SOMEHOW manage to hit the opponent as him/her is bouncing upward, after getting hit by an aerial RB.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
I was on Final Destination. I was aiming for the ledge but I went slightly over it and and hit G&W. Captain Falcon stood up extra quick so I pressed the A button. I hit G&W about three times before I stopped and realized what had actually happened.

Since then, I found out that the aerial RB can either (I'm new to Falcon, dont laugh)
1) knock the opponent in the air, or
2) knock the oppponent on the ground

But, there are two things, that I suspect, may be the reason why this lock happened. They are:
1) the opponent jumps just before the RB connects
2) the opponent hits the ground and doesn't tech

But that still doesn't explain the zero lag that occured when I landed. It might have been the ledge. . .

Yung Mei

ok, now im just going h'wut and thinking youre willz secretly in disguise trying to troll the **** out of us (mostly me)

do you have a replay saved?q

Winnar

Smash Lord
The only way I can think that it MIGHT be possible is if you did this on a stage like yoshi's story (brawl), you rb'd near the ledge, got the hitbox while also insta-landing just at the max height they can be to get hit by the hitbox, and then you buffered an angled ftilt

but that would be CRAZY

Yung Mei

im just going to assume that guy is trolling me sthuper haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrdddddddddddddddddd

D:

get replays

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
I have a replay of the falcon dive cancel. I posted the replay in the "We record your replays thread" (that is a really awesome idea), along with some other crazy stuff.

I'm still figuring out how to do the rb -> jab lock.

If anyone wants the replays, I can send you the link. You guys are the pros here, I figure you all would know how to use this stuff in a real match.

Yung Mei

Universal DI (iirc) would be Hold Down went sent Horizontally, and Left/Right when sent Vertically

IIRC, falcons DI move is uAir, but bAir cancels more momentum

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I use Uair all the time (sometimes bair) when sent sideways, and Uair->dair dair dair dair when sent vertically.

I usually live up to 180%ish thanks to this strategy.

Anyway, WoodyHiggins, first that RB -> jab lock and then Falcon Dive Cancel? Where the hell did you come from!? o_O

... Errr, let me see if I got the correct idea. Falcon Dive cancelling is basically cancelling your Falcon Dive with a jab or something?

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Lol, nah.

Falcon dive cancel is like Dolphin slash cancel.

I have a video with the falcon dive cancel and some other stuff, but i'm having an issue with my youtube account. Mind if I pass it along to you via private message?

Winnar

Smash Lord
Universal DI (iirc) would be Hold Down went sent Horizontally, and Left/Right when sent Vertically

IIRC, falcons DI move is uAir, but bAir cancels more momentum
Hold...down? No that's the opposite of being correct, you should hold up/up-in(as in towards the stage slightly) and uair or b-air if you're sent horizontally

probably uair because it helps with DI more

You should use bair and DI left/right if you're sent up

Some moves are really tricky to DI, like squirtle's dthrow and...ganon fsmash? Too much DI in either direction and you end up destroyed

Top Bottom