• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Makaveli tha Don

Smash Apprentice
oh yeah guys at that tourny me and reflex played some teams friendlies as falcon ganon

awesome stuff happened

such as, (on brinstar) recovering ganon up b > my falcon dive during the hit stun, > ganon side b into the lava so they die and reflex lives

pro stuff
yesssssssssssssssss

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
25:75 on Final Destination.
30:70 on Battlefield and Smashville.
35:65 on most other stages, assuming the Falcon knows how to manage on the CPs.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
His chaingrab ***** us. That and, obviously, lasers. A Falcon's best bet on this matchup is mindgames, luck and gimping. Also lots of uair.

(I played with a strong Falco for a long time, offline, only beat him ONCE with Captain Falcon. Once in a bajilion times, sheesh)

Player-3

Smash Hero
100-0 falcons favor

get dat 34 combo son

biglord chaingrab is only an issue on fd, everywhere else platform camp until ~50%

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Falco's platform game is more annoying than his chaingrabs imo. The main reason he's annoying on FD is because he can SH side+B camp and spam lasers. Falcon has difficulty keeping in his comfort zone there.

I do remember some Falco I was playing on FD though, he was playing keepaway, basically... and I was on one side of the stage, jumped near the middle like I was going to approach him in the air and did an aerial Reverse Falcon Punch back to where I started, his side+B got ****ed.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
What do you do against *******? It's pretty hard to land AC dair, FH nair, and in general a lot of moves against small characters like pika, olimar, kirby.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Most Falcons just spam up tilt against the short characters. Try to keep them in the air as much as possible, makes racking damage up on them much easier than while they're grounded.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Against small characters : CP.
Seriously not being able to grab/jab someone just because he's crouching sucks (sometimes you'll even whiff grabs on a standing Kirby, derp).
With that said if you still want to play the matchups spam a lot of tilts and FFBairs.

What is the math up between captain falcon and falco?
Falco is one of Falcon's worst matchups, if not the worst.
If you get chaingrabbed at low percent and don't SDI the spike to the ground/ledge it's one stock less for you.
And if you don't get chaingrabbed you're just gonna get camped to death, and even if you manage to get inside Falco's range you'll get beaten to death by his superior close quarter game.

The only thing Falcon has on Falco is better mobility (except for phantasm lol) and better survavibility.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I don't know why everyone thinks Falco is so hard.

Sometimes I'll just walk into lasers until like 20% and camp him with tipman uairs and spaced bairs.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Falcon can't kill? What do you mean? The only way he WOULDN'T be able to kill is if you're stalling all of his killing moves, lol

Makaveli tha Don

Smash Apprentice
30-70 to 35-65 Falco.

Expece lasers, grab attempts, and wierd *** methods to combine the two.

play fast enough to break past his blaster zone and strike before he does grab ****

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Almost every time I play a Falco as Falcon, I take off straight for the ledge (I think it comes from my Samus in that MU.) When I'm onstage, try to keep from FFing anything unless it's well spaced, like a Bair. I think Dsmash is our only "safe" smash in the MU. Ftilt is good on spacing, as well as Utilt, mainly when Falco is on the ledge, since we can take advantage of his poor aerial mobility. I normally expect a lot of spaced Bairs, Grabs, Lasers, and Phantasm. Nair seems to be situational since it can put him in a position to take an OoS option.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Don't forget baiting. Dash and shield. Punish. Falcon loves baiting others.

Why are we even discussing this lol

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I dunno lol.
But killing power isn't more an issue for Falco than it is for us.
Utilt, Dtilt, Uair, Bair, Usmash, Dsmash and Fsmash seem like a lot of options to me.
Plus his ability to rack up damage is dumb.

Makaveli tha Don

Smash Apprentice
I would say that right as the match starts, he's got an advantage over us because of the practicality of his blaster.
It can be efficient far away, and very useful up close.

Bair is a *****. I hate sex kicks.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Not to mention that you WILL be camping in platforms if you want to win, so no way you'll be "safe" from being lasered like a mofo. Heh.

HERE'S A QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS:

How long does Falcon have to run in order to correctly pivot grab (sliiiiiding)? I'd say a quarter of FD, but maybe it would be better illustrated as "See dash animation, pivot grab the instant it is over".

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
First yeah, Falcon must be in his dash animation, so you have to wait until the initial dash ends (and it's pretty long dammit).
Second, if you want to slide with your pivot grab you have to start the pivot (aka press back) THEN input grab.

If you do it simultaneously you won't slide.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Whoa. Count me in among the people who DIDN'T know about that. Looks awesome.

I probably don't have the skill to do it, though. Bah :( will try practicing it anyway.

I like dash attack out of it.

It ****s with people.
Yeah, I can imagine doing that to my smashing crew and seeing their faces widen, haha.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
assuming one has their second jump button set to Special (Y for me)

would jab->upB work?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
As a true combo? I really doubt it. But you don't really need to use Y for that. You can slide your thumb from A to B.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Falcon's 2nd jab only does 2%, 1% stale.

Against fatties you can get away with second jab easily. Against characters like Marth and Peach I only use jab 1 because they can hit us out of it pretty easily.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
What about the gentleman's combo? I started using it and I have made it part of my regular falcon game, mostly cuz it is just so fun to do.

Yung Mei

IMO, gentleman isnt really that good - when i use it, it doesnt really send them that far back, so they can hit me back really easy. When i gentleman, i usually get the **** out of there to avoid getting hit, or jab again if i want to run the risk

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Gentleman is good for mindgames, if you like being unpredictable.

If you pause after the 2nd jab, and with the correct timing, you can immediately connect with another jab (after "gentlemaning"). Feels good man.

Also, agreed with lordhelmet, not so much with Lionman. OH, and don't forget jab -> jab -> shield -> grab

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Stepping up my falcon game a bit, and I'm just now getting really into buffering falcon's moves. I struggle quite a bit with buffering an upair after dthrow. Right now, I thumb the stick over and let it return to neutral and jump (buffered dash jump), then use c-stick to upair once I start moving. Are there better/more consistent ways to get the aerial follow ups out as fast as possible? (I play with tap jump off)

Yung Mei

at the moment, none that i know of

dont worry though, once you understand buffering more youll get it~

Top Bottom