• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I feel like a noob because after so much time of maining Falcon in Brawl, I STILL am not able to buffer correctly :(

And I didn't know about that "technique" to save us from a botched Raptor Boost! HURRAY!

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Stepping up my falcon game a bit, and I'm just now getting really into buffering falcon's moves. I struggle quite a bit with buffering an upair after dthrow. Right now, I thumb the stick over and let it return to neutral and jump (buffered dash jump), then use c-stick to upair once I start moving. Are there better/more consistent ways to get the aerial follow ups out as fast as possible? (I play with tap jump off)
There's a way to buffer Uair and not get a Usmash : you have to tilt the stick upwards just a bit and press jump+A.
The position is very precise, if you tilt it too much you'll get a usmash and if you don't tilt it enough you'll get a Nair.

All in all it's simpler to do what you do, because 1-you have less chance of screwing up and doing a Usmash and 2-you can adapt to your opponent's DI/reaction and time your Uair when you need it.

PZ

Smash Lord
I try to buffer dash<sh uair after dthrow but waiting to cstick it seems WAY easier but not a combo.

If you actually buffered you can easily ff n jab if you miss on light chars(GIMR's thread) but if you w8 then they have enough time to pshield.<.<

PZ

Smash Lord
I can easily do it on lights at 2/3s speed but at regular speed im having trouble. Buffered dash<jump<uair. I should just go with nair but uair is just better follow ups.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
Doesnt uAir have like four hitboxes?

IIRC, sometimes you can follow up the furthest hitbox (assuming it was shorthopped, and lower percents) with jabs :O

PZ

Smash Lord
Doesnt uAir have like four hitboxes?

IIRC, sometimes you can follow up the furthest hitbox (assuming it was shorthopped, and lower percents) with jabs :O
Theres a hitbox on uair that combos fresh on every1 all the way up 90 or 100. This hitbox was used to gimp as falcon in 64. So I see 3 hitboxes maybe 4 but the front is weird.

Yung Mei

the hitbox im refering is to like, the tip of his boot or something lol

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
That hitbox is very useful, to me, specially because if it hits, it sends the opponent almost downwards, away from the stage. And then you can follow up with a bair.

But using it to combo on the ground?... Good idea :)

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Theres a hitbox on uair that combos fresh on every1 all the way up 90 or 100. This hitbox was used to gimp as falcon in 64. So I see 3 hitboxes maybe 4 but the front is weird.
Falcon didnt have the koj in 64..

Yung Mei

That hitbox is very useful, to me, specially because if it hits, it sends the opponent almost downwards, away from the stage. And then you can follow up with a bair.

But using it to combo on the ground?... Good idea :)
messing with people that way is always fun LOL

yeah, sometimes for me, ill hit them with the tip of the uAir while facing them, then follow up with jabs. I dont know until what pecents this works tho, or if the follow up is legit, it just works randomly for me LOL :awesome:

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
What about close game uair? Like if you are right above them, fast fall into them and uair. It feels really awkward but still has good knockback and is pretty unpredictable.

Another question. When is the ideal time to land during a bair for minimal lag? I need to bair moar

lordhelmet

Smash Master
What about close game uair? Like if you are right above them, fast fall into them and uair. It feels really awkward but still has good knockback and is pretty unpredictable.

Another question. When is the ideal time to land during a bair for minimal lag? I need to bair moar
If you bair like just after the apex of your jump, you only get like 2 frames of lag.

Ask Teluo

Haze~

Smash Journeyman
Im not sure about this but how exactly do you reverse raptorboost?

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
You press <-- + B and quickly press --->.

So side B the opposite direction and quickly slide the analog stick to where you want to go. The principle is similar to the turning Up B

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Yo Teluo, you have any more on this?

:troll:

edit: experimented a little and I think i'm getting the hang of timing it right, thanks
Lordy is right, since you have to get the hitbox out at least 10 frames before landing so you can autocancel it.
Now it doesn't have to be out of a SH, you can run off a ledge and DJ Bair, or FH/DJ Bair and land on a platform etc etc.

And yes, you need to Bair more.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
tell me how to platform cancel with falcon

please
Jump (standing or moving) and press down on the control stick once you're about halfway through the platform, and you should be on the platform. I like to do this with Jabs, Dsmash, and Grabs, but it's really nice to use and fun to switch up on what you think works.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Do all characters have the same input for that? Is there the landing lag of the aerial when you platform cancel, or does it autocancel? Or does it depend on the aerial used to platform cancel...bleh

I don't have my copy of brawl right now or I'd just bust it out and test this stuff myself :(

I finally got around to watching Mr-R play

Yeah...brawl looks fun again

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Do all characters have the same input for that?
Yes, iirc, it's the same for everyone. Just tap down when you're about to pass the platform from beneath. It's different for some characters, as jump heights vary, along with fall speed and weight. Probably a few more factors, but I'll keep it simple for now.

Is there the landing lag of the aerial when you platform cancel, or does it autocancel?
I haven't really tried it with aerials since I learned the "tap down" method first, but I presume that you have landing lag off an aerial if you use it to PC. I don't get any lag with the tap down method, so again, I wouldn't know that one for sure.

Or does it depend on the aerial used to platform cancel
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the less lag you have on the aerial, the less lag you have on the PC. Again, I haven't really done the aerial PC yet, so I wouldn't know too much on it.

Yung Mei

depending on what aerial you use, youll get lag

just tapping down has like, no lag, and you can follow up with basically any attack, 'cept aerials, unless you buffer them or something

Player-3

Smash Hero
aerial doesn't matter for pc if you time it right

marths dair and fair are the same, as are all of falcons aerials

and wtf calvos post just livestreamed, ***** u wrong

i just hit c stick down and it works fine

-shrug-

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
lol I think what calvo is saying that if you mess up your platform cancel, you will get lag from the aerial. I prefer the hold down control stick method lol.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I think Uair would be best for PC with Falcon. If you mess up, you don't get as much lag, and you could even get a free Uair. Same applies to Bair, to a lesser extent.

Top Bottom