• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cactuar Rating System

D

Deleted member

I was having a pleasant afternoon discussion with Dr. Peepee about Cactuar from several angles. We quickly came to a mutual agreement that Cactuar is the King of Jank and from there we noticed a gaping hole in our communications: we do not currently have a way to measure strategies, concepts, or ideas of questionable quality/content. Fortunately, I have designed a system to circumvent this flaw, and I present to you, my humble readers, the Cactuar Rating System.

Rating by Cactuars is easy. You take Cactuar as an instance and set him = 1. From there, you judge the other idea, and then compare it in terms of Cactuars as a multiplier. Some examples:

-Niko's idea of Falco's forward tilt beating Marth is about 3.7 Cactuars.
-Falcon's downthrow tech chase regrab on Fox on FD is about 1.7 Cactuars.
-DK's powershield is about 6.3 Cactuars.
-Cactuar himself is exactly 2.4 Cactuars. This might seem like a mathematical anomoly, but the Cactuar Rating system only takes Cactuars as an instance, whereas Cactuar himself is a constant whole.
-Jigglypuff dittos have a minimum of 4 Cactuars and can increase from there.

The reasons behind this change are two-fold:

1. It gives players a means to rate the quality of an idea when presented to them. With this rating system in place, we the players can quickly and easily understand one another with a common medium. A Cactuars rating approaching 0 represents soundness and security of quality, while any rating approaching a Cactuar rating of 8 represents a purely "jank" idea.
2. Cactuar can never effectively name search again.

With proper exposure to the community, I hope this term becomes a community standard. Share your thoughts or ideas freely.

How many Cactuars is Peach's not required skill to play?

How do I word this?

How many Cactuars is Peach's lack of skill required to play as?

No, I don't think that's grammatically correct still

How many Cactuars is Peach doesn't require any skill to play as?

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
The idea of rating everything in Cactuars is either 0 or 8 Cactuars, I'm not sure which.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I want to sticky this so badly xD

I'm totally going to do this from now on hahaha

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Can you give a concrete examples of what constitutes a 0 and what constitutes an 8? I mean. I have some decent ideas of what would produce no Cactuars, but I'm having a hard time imagining something considered so utterly jank as to be effectively insurmountable. FFA All Ice Climbers on Icicle Mountain with Bob-Ombs on Very High in Lightning Mode?

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
i told MT this idea

you're chaingrabbing me as marth, i'm falco. when I di away far behind you, you immediately grab in front of you, giving me a sense of security into your false grab and roll in, then you just grab in the EXACT SAME way again to get my roll.

that's like 50 cactuars right there

You have failed to tell us how cactuar measures an idea. The higher the
number the more crazy of an idea it is? Then,
has the offical measurement symbol is 0 cactuars.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
as hilarious as this is, i still don't understand how the unit works. what exactly is one cactuar equal to? can you list a few things that are approximate to one cactuar?

is the cactuar scale linear or logarithmic?

LLDL

Smash Hero
If I had a Cactuar for every brain you don't have; I'd have 1 Cactuar.

Beat!

Smash Master
Smashboards as a whole is about 6.8 Cactuars.

Complaining about Falco is 7-7.5 Cactuars if you play a top/high/mid tier, and 7.6-8.0 Cactuars if you play a low tier.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Smashboards as a whole is about 6.8 Cactuars.

Complaining about Falco is 7-7.5 Cactuars if you play a top/high/mid tier, and 7.6-8.0 Cactuars if you play a low tier.
This post is approximately 5 cactuars.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
This measurement system is both classy and effective, yet janky in its implementation and usage.

Super approved.

Kal

Smash Champion
That phone icon indicates an increase in Cactuars, as does editing your post to remove it. Normally, grammatically correct posts indicate a low Cactuar-rating, but in this case it is the opposite of what should occur with a phone-post, so the Cactuar-rating just goes up.

Above post is a 7.9.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
This. Someone should make a graphing calculator app for it as well.

EDIT: Was 8 Cactuars intended to be the maximum? Or can it go up to infinite?
I believe it was said that 8 cactuars is near maximum jankiness. Hence why high numbers on this scale (5 and higher) should be used more conservatively. Especially considering Jiggs dittos can be as low as 4

:phone:

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
A score of 7.5 Cactuars or higher should be seen as a reason to report a post.

:phone:

odinNJ

Smash Lord
the real question is how stupid is a post that is " i " cactuars

Top Bottom