• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Bowser Questions and Advice Thread

QTx314159

Smash Apprentice
They all follow me, of course.
GIMPY I haven't seen you since we got married. Where did you go?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
can you rate my bowser in the rate my bowser thread

Chanto327

Smash Cadet
*Teleports here*

Gimpy.....I apologize for any trouble I may have caused you yesterday......while I may still have a bit of anger left in me....well, anyway, another question.....If I could beat a Fox with Bowser on Final Destination, one of Bowser's worst stages, why is it that I get killed by Marth when I use Captain Falcon on the same stage? fricking azen-dash......

SoxSoxy1

Smash Cadet
Hey when playin' by OC3 rules should I basicaly almost always counter-pick Yoshi's Story? Also is it possible to Fortress too much?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure the only way you can fortress too much is if bowser stops and pukes all over the screen.

And well, since that cant happen... D:

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
OK Gimpy, several questions.
First, when Bowser does his dair, you know the little final hit it does when landed? Does that come later if the move is not L-cancelled? Sometimes when I land the move behind a shielding opponent, they drop their shield too soon, and get hit by that last hit. Now I'm wondering if this final hit is delayed if his dair is not L-cancelled. I figure that might make someone more likely to drop their shield early and fall for it. If it's a waste, I need to know.
Also concerning his dair, if you use it to hit a foe and you know that it will hit them, (for example, another Bowser just missed an fsmash and you are able to punish him with the dair) is it best not to FF it? Will the dair do more hits if not FFed?
Lastly, did you recolor the Bowser in your sig?

misterbee180

Smash Apprentice
all right i'm just going to ask cause i cant seem to find it anywhere... To begin, i think you're amazing Gimpyfish. You make people afraide of me everytime I decide to play bowser. Anyway, i've been playin for a while, and watching your vids on you tube forever and i notice that when you get knocked back you always seem to be able to recover somehow. I've tried to figure out how you make your fortress fly sooooooooooo...... far but i just cant figure it out.

So my question is, is there anything special you are doing to make it look as if bowser can fly or am i just so infatuated w/ your playing of bowser that i'm seeing things? I swear you have a code to put Air Jordans on bowser so he can fly!

Thanks in advance!!! I hope you get this!

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
So my question is, is there anything special you are doing to make it look as if bowser can fly or am i just so infatuated w/ your playing of bowser that i'm seeing things? I swear you have a code to put Air Jordans on bowser so he can fly!

Thanks in advance!!! I hope you get this!
He uses the red Bowser. Red anything > any other color anything. Everyone knows that.

Other than that, you're probably just seeing things. These things could be awesomeness, opponent's lack thereof, or the Air Jordans.

Chanto327

Smash Cadet
I personally like using the last color of Bowser, myself. Evil-look FTW.

But ya know, I think you might be on to something, seeing as Ken's Marth is always red...I think. Hold up, let me check YouTube.

EDIT: Yep, she's right. I more like using Marth's last costume (Paladin FTW also...what I can't like both good and evil?)

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
My question is: how are you so awesome gimpy?

Two of your funny vids have now turned up in the Pure pwnage forums Brawl thread XD

Also: Does anyone know why my sig only shows up half the time?

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Untrue: Red is not the "best" it's the pro color. Except M2k. maybe that's why noone likes m2k? he doesn't use red?

sig turns on when you hit the "show sig" button. additional options.

ohpistachios

Smash Apprentice
GIMPY! quick question - is it at all possible to escape from DK's uair combos once he grabs you? besides DI and teching on platforms, is anything else plausible? (eg. i've tried airdodge and nair as fast as possible but neither seem to work)

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Gimpyfish, why does Bowser like Blonds? Doesn't he like to kidnap Brunettes like Daisy so he could Down throw her all day? :p

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Well, the question was so important, and that Gimpy himself didn't see it here himself, I had to bring it to him.

He's the best guy to talk about Bowser related stuff XD

------

RockinTH (3:39:40 PM): did you check out my question on 'Ask Gimpyfish?' :p
Gimpyfish62 (3:39:53 PM): what was the question
Gimpyfish62 (3:39:54 PM): lol
RockinTH (3:41:04 PM): 'Gimpyfish, why does Bowser like Blonds? Doesn't he like to kidnap Brunettes like Daisy so he could Down throw her all day? :p'
Gimpyfish62 (3:41:23 PM): why does he like blonds?
RockinTH (3:41:34 PM): well, two answered that, but I don't think it's the type of answer you would like to hear lol
Gimpyfish62 (3:41:43 PM): well bowser is a ladies man, but everyone knows that peach is the bset looking in the mushroom kingdom
Gimpyfish62 (3:41:58 PM): regardess of hair color bowser loves the ladies
Gimpyfish62 (3:42:06 PM): but peach is sort of the iconic hottie
Gimpyfish62 (3:42:08 PM): amirite?!
RockinTH (3:43:15 PM): **** right, brother! XD
RockinTH (3:43:26 PM): but what about Daisy?
Gimpyfish62 (3:44:00 PM): well daisy is obviously up there but shes 2nd class next to peach
Gimpyfish62 (3:44:09 PM): at least iconically spaeking

-------

Vote Gimpy 4 Prez! *Holds up Gimpyfish sign*

misterbee180

Smash Apprentice
Hey, all, I'm back again and this time i think I'm going to ask my question a different way. Here it goes

When i challenge my friend who plays Doc he loves to throw me off the edge. He does this so that he can hop into the ledge guard position so when i fortress back to the stage he just needs to keep holding onto the ledge and my bowser will lose a stock. This is due to the fact that I seem to only get minimum range from my fortress's recovery. I've noticed, watching Gimpy's vids, that he seems to be able to get back on the platform from quite a distance, managing, many times, to be able to not only grab the ledge but also, if he chooses, land on the stage.

My question is : Is there any possible way of increasing the distance the fortress can travel while recovering from off the edge. Is there some sort of momentum factor that determines how far the fortress can travel or is it a timing thing?

I think that sums up my question entirely. Thanks to any responses that come from this!! :)

ohpistachios

Smash Apprentice
to misterbee,

basically, bowser's fortress travels with momentum. what that means is, if you have a jump, then you should use your jump and then fortress right after the height of the jump to recover optimally. since your jump is giving you momentum, you'll travel much further. if you dont have a jump, then you should wait until you've stopped moving backwards and have gained a little forwards momentum, and then fortress.

it's all very intuitive, basically you just have to remember to fortress when you have the most forward momentum.

also, since bowser's fortress IS momentum based, if they hit you out of your fortress properly (for example Doc back-airs you) then you very likely will not be able to recover, since you will lack momentum and will have no opportunity to produce it.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
its not necessarily a matter of momentum (but that obviously is key) but its a matter of good di, thats why i live longer, di and good recovery mindgames are key, bowser has a surprisingly good recovery, most people on these boards tend to think its pretty mediocre, but he can live for quite a long while because of his weight and distance of recovery combined n_n

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
This isn't a bowser specific question but seeing how it's really just bowser Iwant to improve as: How in hell do you ledgetech, I've seen it done many times but I've just never gotten the timing for it correct, not once. You got any advice/vids to help?

D

Deleted member

hey gimpyfish, just wanted to say it was fun playing you @ FC the multiple times we played.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
get at my godly bowser.

but yea its tru about the di thing. but if you get hit by the end ganons reverse up air, its gonna be all about momentum and he bowser wont have it after gettin nailed by that gay move at high percent.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
HALPLAR! HALP!

I'm going to ask Gimpyfish a question: What do I do against a Falcomist who does nothing but pillar you to your death?
DI'ing directly left or right gets you away from Falco pretty well if you get shined. If the Falco isn't very conscious about his jump-cancel/D-Air-to-shine timing, you can squeeze a Fortress in-between his attacks, but a knowledgeable Falco won't let you do that.

If you're having the most trouble with a lot of pillaring, I'm guessing that Falco camping you isn't your problem. You need to read his approaches well. As much of a pain as the shorthop gayzers are, you can avoid them on not-Final Destination by using platforms. As always, well-spaced F-Tilts and F-Airs are nice to have at your disposal. If he ends up directly above you, choose between timing an U-Tilt (this is for when you think they're going to attack when they're "lower" as to not have the lag be a problem) or shield to Fortress (which works if the opponent hits as soon as he can). It's a matter of preference (and possibly, experience) of the Falco player. Watch for his habits.

As always with fastfallers, make them go where you want them to. Realistically, they're the only characters that Bowser can consistently combo (from throws or setups). Remember, if they're caught in a combo, they can't defend themselves, because they don't have a Luigi/Peach floatiness or crazy N-Air. ;/

(Gimpy [or anyone else, for that matter], let me know if I don't know what I'm talking about; I really don't play a whole lot of competitive Falco, but that's what comes to mind.)

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
thanks a lot Reflex! I was trying to find out how to DI the shine.

It's a matter of preference (and possibly, experience) of the Falco player.
Haha. He's one of the best Falcos in the world (Falcomist). He did well in the OC crew battle, his crew was the Baysians and they scored 7th place.

Smashboozer

Smash Apprentice
@King: Did U play Zhu? Who do U think is better? cause I got pillared to hell when I played him. Eventually I just spammed fortress like crazy hoping it would work. It didnt I got three stocked.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What is the best way to edgegaurd with bowser? and is his dair a meteor smash?
Depends on the situation. F-Air, B-Air, and F-Tilt are most common. Depending on the opponent's recovery, the "less than 100%" ledge attack can work well. Bowser has a lot of good moves to work with; his edgeguarding is serious business.

And, no, his D-Air is -not- a Meteor Smash. It hits multiple times, and the hit when you actually touch the ground has a large hitbox, but that's about it.

Top Bottom