• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Bowser Questions and Advice Thread

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Well bowser's spot dodge is rather horrendous, it lasts for way to long doesn't have enough invincibility frames, and most people can whiff a move, and still punish you afterwards, you have many better options

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
its really awkwardly situational, i use it so rarely it tends to just surprise people when it works, but generally speaking its not that useful

i think i'm going to try and catch up on any questions i've missed soon now that i dont have work every minute of every day haha

but i am preparing for leaving to cali for school so it might still take a while

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Bowser has lag after the dodge. Yes, dodge lag. -_- Dosent quite cover good distance either, avoid using it against fast players and spamming it. If you can do it right, good job. But i suggest not doing it at all, because 9 times out of 10, you will be punished.
My 2 cents on spot dodging.

Gimpyfish, If your in the air flying after an attack while your on the edge, is an edge cancelled Bomb okay to get back to the edge easily? I do it frequently, but im simply wondering if theres anything better to recover after someone stops my edge guarding, which isnt too often.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ok, i have a question...when you shield marth's ftilt what are the possible scenarios to result.

so far, one thing i try a lot is wd to grab..however the marth has time to spot dodge so you have to decide whether to wait for a spot dodge or grab immediately...i would say marth's techchasing is better than bowser's so it's a questionable option...

what i'm not sure of is whether trying to fair works...between shield stun and then the time for another ftilt...if i get hit does it mean i didn't jump out of shield fast enough? because i would think fair properly spaced could beat an ftilt in priority

Dynamik

Smash Cadet
Oh.
Last question for a while. Sorry. >_<

How do you record your matches as if the video camera were inside the screen?

Banned via Administration
5150 advice thread

if you have a question on how to beat a character or how to perform a good bowser trick ask here. i will answer truthfully and honestly every question presented to me.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Do you believe his d-air has any good uses or setups? It seems his other aerials overshadow it.

(I don't play bowser, I'm just having a hard time believing 5150 is actually going to do this.)

Do you believe his d-air has any good uses or setups? It seems his other aerials overshadow it.

(I don't play bowser, I'm just having a hard time believing 5150 is actually going to do this.)
dair is good as a surprise move when coming down and you have no other option. his nair is ok but i think his dair has a bit more priority. ya you will get hit. but you will at least interrupt them for a bit and hopefully tech before they can reach you again.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Alright i'll bite since i look for information everywhere.

One of my worst match-ups happen to be Marth, i know the general how toos of fighting the marth and can stay even with him. But as soon as i get tossed off the ledge, i end losing a stock. I think my best option is to DI up and then try and recover over him. As for counter picks i just take him to FoD, it's the best stage i have against pesky Marths. I'm getting sick of D-tilt edgeguarding and need to find away around it.

As for edgeguarding the Marth, i usually D-tilt, or D-air.. Angled F-tilts work as well i just like the added Crouch cancel the D-tilt gives me. Any suggestions on that?

I think i have the match-up fairly solid, but any advice from anyone would be cool.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Oh my god, hes serious and actually giving advice. That scares the hell out of me.

But very good 5150 for contributing to the bowser community. sorry for taking up space.

Alright i'll bite since i look for information everywhere.

One of my worst match-ups happen to be Marth, i know the general how toos of fighting the marth and can stay even with him. But as soon as i get tossed off the ledge, i end losing a stock. I think my best option is to DI up and then try and recover over him. As for counter picks i just take him to FoD, it's the best stage i have against pesky Marths. I'm getting sick of D-tilt edgeguarding and need to find away around it.

As for edgeguarding the Marth, i usually D-tilt, or D-air.. Angled F-tilts work as well i just like the added Crouch cancel the D-tilt gives me. Any suggestions on that?

I think i have the match-up fairly solid, but any advice from anyone would be cool.
1. dont dtilt edgeguard ever. unless you are ****ing around.
2. dair could work maybe but i haven't tried it on a marth in AGES. there is no good way to edgeguard marth. if you stay on the ledge he can sweetspot and nothing will hit him. if you go on the ledge theres a VERY good chance he will make you get up by just floating towards you and threatening you with a fair or overb. if you just stay there you will get fair'd and then you will not be able to recover. your best bet is to just not edgeguard, lol. hell fsmash is even an option, thats how bad edgeguarding him is. ftilt wont work either but its a good throw out move so you can spam it all day as long as you make sure you arent in the lag of it when he grabs the edge so he cant counterattack you. in conclusion, mess around. im gonna try dair next time i play a marth but in all honesty i doubt it will be a solution. just be patient against marth. he wants you to try to edgegaurd him so he can counterattack and then ****. a good idea is to stay a decent space away from teh edge and ftilt and hope it clanks with his fair. its not actual edgeguarding its edgepressure. if he:
a. rolls--->dsmash (fsmash if yoru cocky as hell)
b. fairs---> try to ftilt him
c. gets up----> spam ftilts
d.jumps (which SHOULD be an accident)---> jump up and fair
e.wavelands on---> spam ftilts (grab/klaw if your cocky as hell)
3. go fod every time. if he bans that go dl64. hopefully he will ban ys if you dont ban it yourself (but i suggest banning fd).
4. grabbing marth is bad. bowser cant do anything out of it. if you grab him throw him but DONT try to follow it up you will just get attacked.
5. intimidate him with ftilts. your game against marth is gonna be trying to flat out overpower him with fairs and ftilts. 80% of the time it wont work but its bowser so you should expect that.
6. waveland back/forward ftilts

any more questions and ill answer.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I actually have a good success rate with D-tilting with the timing so that the second swipe is over the edge when he comes up for his recovery, i'm talking about when he's coming low underneath the stage.. if he's coming from High up, I usually play campy and spam spaced f-tilts.. and wait to see what he's gonna do and hope i can punish.

I actually have a good success rate with D-tilting with the timing so that the second swipe is over the edge when he comes up for his recovery, i'm talking about when he's coming low underneath the stage.. if he's coming from High up, I usually play campy and spam spaced f-tilts.. and wait to see what he's gonna do and hope i can punish.
if they come underneath and sweetspot dtilt won't hit.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Hmm, maybe they weren't sweet spotting correctly to me it seemed like a good choice at the time, I guess if I see them looking for a sweetspot i should maybe just time a fortress hog, that might be the best way around it.

Hmm, maybe they weren't sweet spotting correctly to me it seemed like a good choice at the time, I guess if I see them looking for a sweetspot i should maybe just time a fortress hog, that might be the best way around it.
fortress hog won't work because you have to get right up to the ledge. marth's upb is faster than the time it takes to get up to the ledge nad then fortresshog. you will get hit he will have the ledge and then you are on the run.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I guess i'll stick with the D-air then.

The D-air is definitely one of bowser's better edgeguards against Marth because if you time it so that the shockwave part of the hitbox hits the marth it sends him diagonally down, and if the marth is at a high enough percentage, you can usually get a kill.

So are we in agreement that the two best options for bowser when marth returns from low are either, spaced f-tilts and play the waiting game for the marth to return, or, D-air looking for that semi-pseudo spike at higher percentages.

And when marth is returning higher its just a waiting game.

sounds like pretty solid advice i believe.

UHHHHHHHHH ya i guess you agree with what i said lol. but remember 95% of the time if you try to hit them with an ftilt off the map it wont do ****. its best to pressure them once they grab the ledge with ftilts.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Well know, i was talking about my D-air strategy, I'm not dumb enough to ask you if I agree with something I've learned to tell how i feel about things.. must be that high school education LOL

Like you said next time you play, try the D-air on the ledge against the Marth, see what you think

Well know, i was talking about my D-air strategy, I'm not dumb enough to ask you if I agree with something I've learned to tell how i feel about things.. must be that high school education LOL
i couldn't read this. i tried so hard but i just couldn't.

Eggz

Smash Hero

Like you said next time you play, try the D-air on the ledge against the Marth, see what you think
Just puttin this out there, the shffl'd dair on the ledge strat is pretty good. It hits below the ledge and can stun marth out of his sweetspot, making him have to up-b again. Unless he's lyke, an uber pro like me, he'll just up-b, but it won't be sweetspotted allowing you to ftilt, or fair his failed sweetspot.

It's what gimpy does. Or he'll just dair into edgehog. xD

EDIT: And cool thread 5150

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
thers already a questions thread, i'm gonna combine them since you are actually giving legitimate advice (which is REALLY throwing me off) and i'm gonna rename the topic

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ok, further questions on the answers:p

why should you never dtilt edgeguard? I'm guessing you're afraid of the marth sweetspotting then ledgehpoping to punish you in lag...however this is really just a problem if you use the first swipe to edgeguard...but i guess if you were going to use the second swipe you might as well just ftilt since it's easier to time?

why not bair to edgeguard instead of ftilt...granted bair won't hit any better than an ftilt if he sweetspots..but if he doesn't you're less likely to trade no? cause you jump over the up b portion then try to hit with the bair..while the ftilt would probably cause you to both take damage if he missed the sweetspot.

why should you never dtilt edgeguard? I'm guessing you're afraid of the marth sweetspotting then ledgehpoping to punish you in lag...however this is really just a problem if you use the first swipe to edgeguard...but i guess if you were going to use the second swipe you might as well just ftilt since it's easier to time?

why not bair to edgeguard instead of ftilt...granted bair won't hit any better than an ftilt if he sweetspots..but if he doesn't you're less likely to trade no? cause you jump over the up b portion then try to hit with the bair..while the ftilt would probably cause you to both take damage if he missed the sweetspot.
1. you HAVE to use both swipes
2. its not fast and doesnt have the range.
3. bair has way worse range than ftilt and you won't exchange hits. you will just get hit most likely.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

I use D-Tilt as an edgeguard move at times. It's definitely not my primary edgeguarding move, but aside from being the most damaging tilt in the game (22% <3) I find that the CC'ing, lesser area on Bowser to hit, and the range to be nice.

If Marth is sweetspotting, then why aren't you light-shielding at the edge while holding the analog stick towards the edge? Gets 'em every time.

B-Air has more priority than the F-Tilt, if I'm not mistaken. It also has more power, knockback, and has pseudo-spike potential. I've grown to absolutely love it fairly recently. You'll find me using it as a vital edgeguarding tool against almost anyone. It's also much better to set up for edgeguarding than a lot of moves.

Edgeguarding effectively requires quick thinking and reflexes. Different moves work better than others depending on the situation; experiment and judge accordingly.

I use D-Tilt as an edgeguard move at times. It's definitely not my primary edgeguarding move, but aside from being the most damaging tilt in the game (22% <3) I find that the CC'ing, lesser area on Bowser to hit, and the range to be nice.

If Marth is sweetspotting, then why aren't you light-shielding at the edge while holding the analog stick towards the edge? Gets 'em every time.

B-Air has more priority than the F-Tilt, if I'm not mistaken. It also has more power, knockback, and has pseudo-spike potential. I've grown to absolutely love it fairly recently. You'll find me using it as a vital edgeguarding tool against almost anyone. It's also much better to set up for edgeguarding than a lot of moves.

Edgeguarding effectively requires quick thinking and reflexes. Different moves work better than others depending on the situation; experiment and judge accordingly.
thats ********. the move is so slow crouch canceling hurts you. bowser is the heaviest in the game but has the worst crouchcancel becasue of that ****ty *** dtilt.

oh and lol@ lightshielding @ edge. if you have the time to get over there WITH BOWSER and do that then you are playing bowser-only lightning melee where koopa is fast but marth is in 1/4 speed rofl. and no bair doesnt have more "PRIORITY" rofl. ftilt is bowsers move maybe even before upb it is that useful. and whoever you r edgeguarding is REALLY bad to keep getting ***** by bairs. oh and thx for the novel about how edgeguarding requires "QUICK THINKING AND REFLEXES" omgggggggggggggg R U SERIOUSSSSSSSSSSS???????????!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111

IT WILL BE THE LAST DAY OF DAYS WHEN A BOWSER PLAYER LECTURES ME ON REFLEXES AND QUICK THINKING ROFL

did a BOWSER PLAYER just tell me to stop being dumb?????? seriously..........................seriously..............SERIOUSLY................?

Top Bottom