• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Botanical Gardens of the Mushroom Kingdom

Are you awesome?

• Well DUH!

Votes: 160 30.8%
  • lolz no I'm a minority

Votes: 245 47.1%
  • I'm confused :c

Votes: 115 22.1%

• Total voters

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I can obviously tell Vocal would make the best therapist ever.
Ha, I didn't even say much but thank you. I'm a Psych major so that's one of the career paths I'm considering, actually.
oh my gosh guys

oh my gosh
<3

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoooOoooOoOooOoOoOoOoOOOOooOooM!
So how about that MK ban?

I don't think it will be that big of a deal in the MW because I don't think the MW has been overwhelmingly dominated by MK. I think it's too little, too late. I think the community has bigger fish to fry like the whole judo/logic incident from SiiS6.
What incident are you referring to?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Such as, for example, people who try to chat up someone who's underage? I agree.

Urgh, I hate it when men decide to be "flamboyant" - it's so unmanly. Unmanliness isn't sexy.
"Sexy" is relative; that said, I mirror your sentiments, which is why I'm happy that I'm not the flamboyant type.

Nordal

Smash Lord
When my brother's best friend came out, he turned super flamboyant and it was a pain in the ears. He's gotten better about it recently though; his lisp and gay lingo ("I have to go use the little girl's room") suddenly vanish when my he's around my brother. It makes me wonder how many people fake flamboyancy as a means to assert that they're gay.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Camp voices aren't so bad, since some people have naturally camp inflections and there's not a whole lot can be done about that. But when you see guys wearing zip-up boots, rainbow coloured shirts, anything with a unicorn/dolphin on AND tight jeans (which they often unsubtly use to try and draw your attention to their crotch), it makes you want to scream "OMG, we get it, you like men and not women! Stop flaunting it!"

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
When my brother's best friend came out, he turned super flamboyant and it was a pain in the ears. He's gotten better about it recently though; his lisp and gay lingo ("I have to go use the little girl's room") suddenly vanish when my he's around my brother. It makes me wonder how many people fake flamboyancy as a means to assert that they're gay.
I think it has to do with who people model themselves after. If they admire someone flamboyant (or perhaps if they admire women), then perhaps that leads people to become flamboyant themselves. It could also be a form of rebellion against the oppression homosexuals have endured for who knows how long.

I can't say with any form of authority, though; I've never taken the time to research it so those are just my thoughts off the top of my head.

edit@tiger: a lot of times when people act like that it just seems so contrived to me. I feel like there are different forms of flamboyant, and that one just comes across to me as fake, whereas others don't. Though people can live how they like, I suppose

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
It really doesn't do the LGBT community any favours though. It leads to the propogation of myths such as "all gay men are raging queens", "all gay/bisexual men have nothing but sex on their minds" etc. etc.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
It really doesn't do the LGBT community any favours though. It leads to the propogation of myths such as "all gay men are raging queens", "all gay/bisexual men have nothing but sex on their minds" etc. etc.
I think you can remove the "gay/bisexual" qualifier from that last statement. The stereotype is that all men have sex on their minds; gay and bisexual men are just a subsection of that.

Anyways, it's also hard to judge them with a statement like "it doesn't do the LGBT community any favours [sic]" (oh writing jokes) because it's not one community. Gay people everywhere have different environments they have to cope with and adapt to, and in some cases that manifests itself in flamboyant behavior. I know for sure for some that acting flamboyant is the way they give a middle finger to everyone and everything that tells them that being gay is wrong. It's not they way I would approach the matter, but at the same time I can understand the mentality.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Anyways, it's also hard to judge them with a statement like "it doesn't do the LGBT community any favours [sic]" (oh writing jokes) because it's not one community.
Vocal for president. Nice posts.

CY: 8/10

:phone:

Takumaru

Smash Lord

What incident are you referring to?
Judo played Sheik, Logic played olimar. On the last stock of the deciding match Judo hit Logic with vanish, caught him with the wind box and then tippered an u-smash for the kill. HOWEVER, he accidentally paused the game right when U-smash hit. EVEN THOUGH Logic had used U-air and was going to die no matter what, he got the match because Judo paused. Even though Judo played better Logic won on a stupid technicality.

That **** should never happen in a respectable community.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Vocal for president. Nice posts.

CY: 8/10

:phone:
Thanks, I try. It's a complicated issue, and people don't always think it through. But I like to think about social climates and why people do what they do (when it comes to anything, really), 'tis the reason I'm a Psych major :)

What does CY mean?
Every single one.
That's a lie. A flat-out, ignorant lie.
Judo played Sheik, Logic played olimar. On the last stock of the deciding match Judo hit Logic with vanish, caught him with the wind box and then tippered an u-smash for the kill. HOWEVER, he accidentally paused the game right when U-smash hit. EVEN THOUGH Logic had used U-air and was going to die no matter what, he got the match because Judo paused. Even though Judo played better Logic won on a stupid technicality.

That **** should never happen in a respectable community.
Wait...really? Something like that should be left to the judgment of a referee. That is just stupid...like actually stupid :facepalm:

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Thanks, I try. It's a complicated issue, and people don't always think it through. But I like to think about social climates and why people do what they do (when it comes to anything, really), 'tis the reason I'm a Psych major :)
Doesn't stop it being counterproductive... :urg:

That's a lie. A flat-out, ignorant lie.
Somehow, I doubt he was being serious.

MechaWave

Smash Champion

Ha, I didn't even say much but thank you. I'm a Psych major so that's one of the career paths I'm considering, actually.
my god

It's a bit unfortunate for me. I unintentionally act flamboyant around other people besides my family (or unless I'm ****ing with someone as I'm doing currently) and I have a slight lisp which really does me no good.

Also in regards to what you said about me being shallow Vocal: I really am not. But in retrospect to high standards: you are correct. :^D

Nordal

Smash Lord
I have a slight lisp because I wear a retainer at night. It's less pronounced when I speak in a deeper voice, and I've gone down a few pitches ever since I started training myself to talk deeper a few days ago.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I really need to train myself to do that. My voice is, according to many, a bit high. Though not so high it'll break your eardrums or scream out: "I'm gay!" Just it'll make you wonder. I have shown myself I can talk deeper if I apply myself.

Nordal

Smash Lord
You have to force yourself for the first two days (at least in my case). You need to be careful to not revert to your "normal" voice often because your vocal chords won't adapt. It's easier to talk low in the morning (when your vocal chords are fresh from sleep) and with your head tilted down (loosens them up). I naturally talk lower because of this and I'll probably try to go further.

@ Tokyo- It's noticeably lower.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
my god

It's a bit unfortunate for me. I unintentionally act flamboyant around other people besides my family (or unless I'm ****ing with someone as I'm doing currently) and I have a slight lisp which really does me no good.

Also in regards to what you said about me being shallow Vocal: I really am not. But in retrospect to high standards: you are correct. :^D
What's the "my god" part for?

And there's nothing wrong with acting flamboyant if that's who you actually are; it'd be silly to act any other way or listen to people who say you should do so. As long as you like yourself then be yourself (as long as that doesn't include murderous rampages or anything). If you don't then figure out why not, decide whether it's a good reason or not, and if it is then just work towards making a healthy change. That's not my specific stance on gay things, just my stance in general.

Also, your standards should take a page out of will.i.am's book as well :)
I really need to train myself to do that. My voice is, according to many, a bit high. Though not so high it'll break your eardrums or scream out: "I'm gay!" Just it'll make you wonder. I have shown myself I can talk deeper if I apply myself.
I talk a little high, but I don't mind because it means I can sing high as well :awesome:

@Everyone: This is not the Peach social I once knew, flying past at blazing speeds. I was actually able to read everything since my last post ON ONE PAGE? Pft. And you know what else? The Oli social is moving faster than this - the Oli social! I can't tell if this place ran out of posters or spam to post but it's certainly slower paced.

Top Bottom