• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread. V-13 hates you! Edit: Now with gamertags! <3 See first post.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Im going to attempt to play this game, I'm maining Hakumen as well.

Your 2 most basic combos with hakumen are 2A or 5A>214B>236A>6C (costs 3 megatama) and
*on counterhit* 6B>9>j. C>2C>j. 2C>IAD 2.C xN this uses no megatama

You can get your counterhit by predicting a low attack (because 6B is invincible to low attacks) and then working from there. Its not safe on block at all though.

Your 2A (you generally don't want to 5A on block because it won't hit if they crouch) is fairly safe on block, and if they keep blocking you can use your 41236C > 5C > 236A > 6C (costs 4 megatama iirc) which is basically your only overhead. but that combo does a sh*t ton of damage.

You really can't close with much other than your airdash j.5C but it gets predictable, so try and mixup by not doing the airdash and using your 623AA(costs 1 megatama for the dash, and another for the uppercut) to start the j.2C juggle.

In general be really careful about not wasting your metagama, otherwise you won't be able to finish your combo's later on.

DC

Smash Cadet
Counterhit is huuuuuge hitstun on the first hit. I think Rachel's 6B poke leaves you frozen for like, 3 seconds lol.
It's exactly 2 seconds, which is surprisingly enough time for most people to tech/guard depending on what punish Rachel decides to use.

EDIT: Since I was really bored... due to the recovery frames of 6B, and the 15 execution frames of the usual 6B punish, Rachel only has 1.5 seconds to punish, best case scenario. (6B CH hits on the last possible frame)

Also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkmJwzetSI4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRN9KuIATBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfZcaHovW3k
Cuz I was bored

Winnar

Smash Lord
I literally gasped after looking at that T-shirt.

I need...

NEED

this shirt

Also yeah that hitstun off of the fork is ridiiiiiiiiculous. I'm just sitting there spinning...and spinning and spinning and spinning. And also waiting and praying for a quick death.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Hahaha, yea man. Saw that **** while watching the Evo live stream and was all WTF? Kinda' wish they'd make more or something, but I'm fine with that.

황미영

Smash Champion
Lol, amazing shirt. xD

I main Hakumen too. I'm pretty bad with him...

Once my friend is able to pay for Xbox Live, I will like to do some matches with you guys.

Winnar

Smash Lord
For anyone who cares I'm hosting a room right now on the 360.

Join it! :O

P.S. Fizz - Add my brother to the front page if you don't mind.

DoktheDoc
XBL: DoktheDoc
Main: Tager

Edit - Yesssss I just super countered Taokaka's distortion.

yesssss that feels so good XD

Winnar

Smash Lord
I loled when that happened. It makes me depressed that I lose so much but there's no other way to learn, right?
I jumped out of my seat and if my parents didn't have company in the neighboring room there would have been a victory "YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" accompanying it.

I shouted in my mind though.

Your Rachel isn't bad :O You should use more uh...cannon things XD Against hakumen they're really good because they pretty much shut down his best approach (air dash).

Also you should ask Zero_Gamer for advice. His Rachel is total beast.

Out of like 13 matches I think I won one match and maybe a total of 4 games.

I feel like my Hakumen is improving though yaaaaaay :D

Super counter is amazing.

P.S. Bears are you the amazing Arakune who joined? If so then major props to you for being so good :D Any tips for a budding Hakumen? :O

P.P.S. I love unblockable distortion traps.

P.P.P.S. I host semi-nightly 360 rooms at around 9'ish PM CST. Between Zero and I smashboards has a pretty solid nightly BB session going :D

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
Heh I was the arakune.....I wouldn't call myself amazing (gonna get ***** at SEB tomorrow...)

I don't know a whole lot about non-arakune characters except what I've played against (only been playing for a week -_-)

All I've really done is:

1) look up combos on dustloop, learned about 1-2 combos per day (started with basic links, then 6C loops, then 6C loop setups, then things like 6A loop etc....)
2) play people online, try to constantly outsmart them no matter how much they ice car or hit D with noel
3) look up vids of the best X player on youtube (Isa for me, along with a couple others)
4) read about matchups you're having trouble with
5) rinse and repeat?

Playing vs. Arakune is like playing with fire. If he gets the curse on you, it's easy to feel like there's nothing you can do (although Hakumen's cursed game is better than others). But that's just the way Ara plays. The meat of the matchup comes from not getting cursed in the first place. Simple things like blocking low when you suspect j.6D can win you rounds - if I get easy curses like that you're easily in deep doo-doo. But it all comes with time, and now I should stop speaking like a guru as I am still a budding noob myself.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Thank you for the advice :D

Luckily I know better than to think any situation is hopeless, so I think that's half the battle to getting better. Learning the Arakune matchup will come with time, just like the rachel and nu matchup. I think the trick is to be patient and wait for those tiny openings in your offense and then punish like mad. The only way to know when the openings are though is to have enough experience with the matchup to be able to see them naturally. Also being innovative never hurt anyone :O

P.S. Your avatar is amazing XD

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I can't host any BB sessions for a little while. I'm moving from NC to Alabama today :(

Lol, my Rachel is nothing special >.>

But I did find a nice little combo for Tager in training mode:

2D --> A+B+C --> 6A --> 2C --> 623C --> walk a little --> 6C --> Spark Bolt --> C --> 623C
Uses up 50% heat for the Rapid but it is pretty easy to hit with the Volt Tackle and the combo does 6140 damage, which is more than the Super Throw thing (5660)

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Ah, so thats when you're moving. Some people were wondering when.
We have a tourny tomorrow if you want to try to make it. :laugh:

Also, what part of AL are moving to?

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
The same place as you!

Birmingham, Alabama, prepare to be royally ****ed.

I haven't been posting in the Alabama thread because I'm busy with a certain shoutouts story thread... Currently at 12 pages on Microsoft Word XD

Winnar

Smash Lord
The same place as you!

Birmingham, Alabama, prepare to be royally ****ed.

I haven't been posting in the Alabama thread because I'm busy with a certain shoutouts story thread... Currently at 12 pages on Microsoft Word XD
How are you posting without raising your postcount wtf D:

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Because this is social thread...

But then there comes about this issue... My story thread might be moved to this room, bringing my post count back down to 999. Then I will have to create a whole new story for my thousandth post, but then that might be moved. I will be eternally locked in celebration of my 1000th post :o

Winnar

Smash Lord
Because this is social thread...

But then there comes about this issue... My story thread might be moved to this room, bringing my post count back down to 999. Then I will have to create a whole new story for my thousandth post, but then that might be moved. I will be eternally locked in celebration of my 1000th post :o
Oh snap :o

DFEAR

Smash Hero
how do people feel about the sunday tournies and the blazblue player point system o.o

(info on shoryuken)

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
The default voice is English, but you have the option of choosing that or Japanese.

DFEAR: Not sure what you mean, but I'll go check it out now. http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=7163857 Is this the link you mentioned?

Edit: For Rachel players, for a combo that starts off as: 6A -> 5B -> jc.B -> jc.C -> dj.2C...I'm having trouble getting that **** dj.2C to connect. Any tips? I'm pretty sure it's a timing issue that I'm having, but I can't say for sure.

Edit 2: Nevermind...figured it out. XP

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
The default voice is English, but you have the option of choosing that or Japanese.

DFEAR: Not sure what you mean, but I'll go check it out now. http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=7163857 Is this the link you mentioned?

Edit: For Rachel players, for a combo that starts off as: 6A -> 5B -> jc.B -> jc.C -> dj.2C...I'm having trouble getting that **** dj.2C to connect. Any tips? I'm pretty sure it's a timing issue that I'm having, but I can't say for sure.

Edit 2: Nevermind...figured it out. XP
In the future if you are having trouble getting the timing of a combo try and find a video where someone does it successfully. That has helped me in the past, although its much better if you can find a friend near you that can show you.

Isuyaru

Smash Cadet
That reminds me, I really want to learn to play Rachel. I'll start working on that today.

On another note, 7th place at SEB in BlazBlue! And I came extremely close to beating the guy who got second, but whiffed my burst punish after successfully baiting and blocking it, giving him the chance to come back and take the set.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
i wish i could have entered SEB. i beat Ray(Kajoc) pretty soundly after the tourney about 6-7 straight with Litchi. he won the tournament... :(

oh, Isuyaru, good stuff at the tournament. i saw your carl in action. we'll have to play sometime. i played you in GGXX and Smash before, though i dunno if you remember who i am.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Well, I have successfully moved into Alabama.

Now that my internet's back up and running, I'm gonna try to resume the Blazblue nightlies.

I'm also trying to learn Carl right now, but I'm not too good with him yet. I've got some of the good combos/loops down, but I still have a ways to go in setting them up. >.>

Also, Fizz-sama, if you want to go for a little extra damage on the 6A combo with Rachel you could try:

6A --> 5B --> j.B --> j.C --> 2D --> 5B --> super jump --> j.B --> j.C --> Double jump --> j.2C

What do you guys think of using Barrier Burst for offense? If you have a full barrier gauge when using the burst it immediately breaks the opponent's libra when blocked. I see a possibility of mixing up block pressure strings with this (on noobs at least) and doing some sexy stuff.

DC

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think of using Barrier Burst for offense? If you have a full barrier gauge when using the burst it immediately breaks the opponent's libra when blocked. I see a possibility of mixing up block pressure strings with this (on noobs at least) and doing some sexy stuff.
Not worth it imo, especially against characters like Arakune or Tager who can do insane amounts of damage with less hits.

Btw 6A --> 5B --> j.B --> j.C --> 2D is character specific I believe.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Anyone going to Florida Gaming this weekend?
It sucks cause I can't afford a PS3 -> 360 converter and their playing on 360s only.
:(
So I literally can't use my main if I want to enter and have to resort to using V-13, which should be pretty easy to translate over to the 360 controller so I figure.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Anyone going to Florida Gaming this weekend?
It sucks cause I can't afford a PS3 -> 360 converter and their playing on 360s only.
:(
So I literally can't use my main if I want to enter and have to resort to using V-13, which should be pretty easy to translate over to the 360 controller so I figure.
wait why wouldn't you be able to use your main?

GA Peach

Smash Lord
the bigger question is: why would any one use 360 as a tournament standard? also, on the offensive burst issue, i feel that it can be useful, but in extremely limited situations. for example, nu-13 could use her long range super, sword, Pulsar dash, and break their guard with the burst, allowing her to combo afterwards. with her low life total, she would die fast to someone like Tager if she got caught anyway, but she is a character with the proper tools to keep the opponent at bay.

imo, the offensive burst should be used only if it can provide you with proper momentum to dominate/end the match. as with GGXX before it, BlazBlue is a game based very heavily on momentum, so bursting early or offensively can provide a winning ticket when applied correctly to maintain or swing momentum.

nevershootme

Smash Master
the bigger question is: why would any one use 360 as a tournament standard?
different hosts have different viewpoints on what systems they want to run it on. not everyone can provide both systems to accommodate, one viewpoint that was put out such as the last Florida Gaming event where SF4 was mostly ps3 with a few 360's on the side, in the end, more players were on 360 than ps3 which caused some slowdown in running the tournament (From what i read on an SRK post). so now this weekend it's all 360 systems only. now look at shinblanka's view on his tournaments, he wants them all on ps3 only instead of 360's, I don't know the reason, but he may have an answer

-one major issue are load times, 360 games mostly load faster than ps3, big example is SF4 and compare both systems.

-the 2nd issue is community. i'm gonna put an example such as the miami community, from what i've surveyed most of the time is that most of the players own 360's instead of ps3's (while some own both). they own the SF4 SE and TE sticks (with some modding) with a little bit of custom made ones. and the tournaments there are mostly 360 versions.

-another issue while debatable is arcade sticks, the most accessable PCB (the magic stuff that makes your stick work) could be the Cthulhu board (allowing ps3, ps2, GC, xbox, and PC usability) and that only costs like $20-$25 at the lowest. while stick components (with buttons) cap at around $40-$50 bucks (for 6 buttons and start and select and guide). and add in a case for XX amount of money and you have a stick ready. take into the account of how much a person invests their money on their perfect stick to use for tournaments.

a quote from shinblanka on what happened at SEB for his SF4 tournament posted from SRK

The dual system sf4 was my fault and i'm sorry for all of the confusion. I wanted to test it out and see if running sf4 on both systems would help or hurt the tournament. I had a dual modded TE stick and a regular ps3 te stick that I was loaning out like a hooker in heat. Any problems with the tournament fall at my feet and I sorry. It was a bad idea that I thought wouldn't be SO BAD at the time.

This was the 1st and only time I would every do dual systems for 1 game. I was trying to include both systems players in this event, but it created more confusion than it helped solve. I won't tell people how to spend their money, but I would invest in a dual mod stick. All my tournaments are ps standard for the most part and I won't stray from that anymore. It seems like there are more srk's that use 360 so that's why I wanted to TRY and use both system.

The really ****ed up thing is that raphy's stick is normally a ps3 stick but when I announced that I would run it on 360 he switched the board out of his stick. I think He just bought a dual board for ps3 and 360 at SEB, so next time he'll be ready for any system. So the cause of the confusion came directly from my decision to run sf4 on both systems and for that i'm sorry.

There's no way in the hell This dual system crap would have worked at anything larger than SEB. I advise anyone to never do it for their tournaments. Just do 1 or the other. PS3 is the standard because more people have ps2-ps3 convertors and most people have a spare ps2 stick they play with if they don't have a te or se stick. No one had a ps2-360 converter at SEB. No one so that right there proves that 360 should NEVER be a standard for sf4. Atleast for big tournaments imo.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
...I thought if you installed SFIV on the PS3's HDD the load times were nearly the same. :/ Another reason I can think being people preferred PS3's, or at some tournaments at least, is because of T5DR, which is PS3 exclusive.

Laijin

Smash Hero
wait why wouldn't you be able to use your main?
I practice on a PS3 pad.

360 pad != PS3 pad.
Meaning if I tried to use anyone besides Nu, I will be completely unable to play them because of this.
I think tournament hosts should use both ps3 and 360 setups no matter what since the games they are running are dual platforms. It is common sense to do so I'd think and there is no standard tournament version(Like for SCII, tournament version was ONLY gamecube).

DC

Smash Cadet
I practice on a PS3 pad.

360 pad != PS3 pad.
Meaning if I tried to use anyone besides Nu, I will be completely unable to play them because of this.
I think tournament hosts should use both ps3 and 360 setups no matter what since the games they are running are dual platforms. It is common sense to do so I'd think and there is no standard tournament version(Like for SCII, tournament version was ONLY gamecube).
This is the reason I switched from controller to stick.

nevershootme

Smash Master
...I thought if you installed SFIV on the PS3's HDD the load times were nearly the same. :/ Another reason I can think being people preferred PS3's, or at some tournaments at least, is because of T5DR, which is PS3 exclusive.
well isn't it that all ps3 games are forced to have an installation to their HDD regardless? now with recent patching I have no clue if load times for SF4 are on par with the 360. even then tekken 6 is coming soon which continues to pose problems of preference between both systems
I practice on a PS3 pad.

360 pad != PS3 pad.
not everyone can affford and/or have the skills to dual mod a stick for ps3/360 use... which then develops a problem for people to hustle and borrow other people's sticks which slow tournaments down. (read last post from shinblanka's quote.)

Top Bottom