• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I don't understand that 'tier masochism' business at all.

Pick a character you like and stick with them. :mad:
I'm a gentleman. As such, having an unfair advantage is not becoming of my nature.

@Minato: I doubt that that would solve anything (abolishing tier lists or whatnot).
People would still pick who they pick. The tier list has very little to do with it.

What I'm trying to say is that if someone sees that a character is really good, and they are a person who loves to play-to-win, then they'll pick someone like Bang or Litchi, even if they were unaware that those two were top tier.

Likewise, people who play favorites will still pick favorites, since they already disregard the tier listings.

If tier lists weren't implemented, I'd still stop using Tao as often when I realize, "Hey, this character's really, REALLY good compared to the rest of the cast."

That, and because good characters begot more players for that character. When everyone starts playing that character, it loses its novelty. It's pretty much an "If everyone is using X, then no one is using X" mentality for me.

And I dislike that.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm a gentleman. As such, having an unfair advantage is not becoming of my nature.

@Minato: I doubt that that would solve anything (abolishing tier lists or whatnot).
People would still pick who they pick. The tier list has very little to do with it.

What I'm trying to say is that if someone sees that a character is really good, and they are a person who loves to play-to-win, then they'll pick someone like Bang or Litchi.

Likewise, people who play favorites will still pick favorites, since they already disregard the tier listings.

If tier lists weren't implemented, I'd stop using Tao as often when I realize, "Hey, this character's really, REALLY good compared to the rest of the cast."
Fair enough.

It is kind of uncouth (and hypocritical) to go on about people picking a character for the express purpose of winning, though. Kind of a pot-kettle-black thing.

Edit: The above goes for your edit, too.

Smooth Criminal

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I look at a character I like and main 'em till the end. ie: Roy, Pit, Hazama, and Xianqhua
Then I pick up other characters for bad Match-up issue's

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Fair enough.

It is kind of uncouth (and hypocritical) to go on about people picking a character for the express purpose of winning, though. Kind of a pot-kettle-black thing.

Edit: The above goes for your edit, too.

Smooth Criminal
I was whining about that?

Picking a good character is UNFAIR?

Why aren't you playing Ganon and Rachel then? :p
Of course it is. They have clear advantages over most of the cast.
Wouldn't it be unfair if your opponent brought a gun to a knife fight?

I secondary Ganon. I play him very, VERY often in friendlies, and I'm honing him for LT events.
And I don't pick Rachel because I hate her with a burning passion.

I'm a blend of favoritism, low tier whoring, and playing the manly way.
You'd be silly to assume I'm black or white on this matter. :p

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Of course it is. They have clear advantages over most of the cast.
Wouldn't it be unfair if your opponent brought a gun to a knife fight?
Clearly if it's a knife fight, you're placing your stakes with what could be considered the penultimate wager involved: Your life. So, yeah, I'd bring a gun. Stack the odds in my favor and to the best of my ability.

(Not to say that you can't beat a gun-toting person armed with only a knife, but that's another story entirely.)

Fighting games are a little different as you're (usually?) not playing for survival. Cash is a pretty **** good motivator though, and there's nothing wrong coming loaded for bear if the rules permit it. Mind you, I'm not really getting into I how I feel about character selection and what it should encompass. I'm just pointing out that there's nothing wrong with the other guy doing what it takes to win.

I'm a blend of favoritism, low tier whoring, and playing the manly way.
You'd be silly to assume I'm black or white on this matter. :p
But you are espousing it, Espy. XD I swears.

P.S. I hate Rachel, too. You're not alone.

GEORGE! GEORGE! GEORGE!

Smooth Criminal

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Clearly if it's a knife fight, you're placing your stakes with what could be considered the penultimate wager involved: Your life. So, yeah, I'd bring a gun. Stack the odds in my favor and to the best of my ability.

(Not to say that you can't beat a gun-toting person armed with only a knife, but that's another story entirely.)

Fighting games are a little different as you're (usually?) not playing for survival. Cash is a pretty **** good motivator though, and there's nothing wrong coming loaded for bear if the rules permit it. Mind you, I'm not really getting into I how I feel about character selection and what it should encompass. I'm just pointing out that there's nothing wrong with the other guy doing what it takes to win.
Did I ever say there was something wrong with playing to win?
Because there's not, and I agree with you on that note.

And yes, they aren't exactly the same scenario, but the idea are the same: You're using a tool that gives you a clear advantage over another person, everything else be ****ed.

Personally, I see that as unfair, but at the same time, I understand the mentality behind it.
It's not wrong. It's just lame. :p

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
In fairness to those that hate me for playing Litchi the past bit, I decided to use her before I ever saw the CS Tier list and knew that she and Bang had been upped (though, when I laffos play Bang occasionally that DOES have a little to do with it). But really, as a poor Noel main that's been watching his main secondary in Ragna slowly drop down rankings....:laugh:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Glad to have helped you achieve such a monumental goal.
Zero sarcasm in the above statement, Smoothie.
Nothing but love here.

Mikachiru

Smash Ace
Carl went down... Mu, you *****!! ;)

Yeah, as for the tier whoring thing, still maining Carl bottom or top. Poor kid gets so much hate. :(

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The hate is just, Mika.
Clap looping is so gay. He's just like Ice Climbers.
<333~

Despite that, Carl's probably more pimptastic than Hazama could ever dream to be.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's different with Tager.
Everyone should play Tager.

Giant Red Monster Android that uses Science and Muscles to Murder Stuff.

You're an idiot if you DON'T play him.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
GOTCHA!
ANY LAST WORDS?!

God, I love him.
He's also a mother****ing genius.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer

Smooth Criminal
Counterpicking a gun in a knife fight raises the matchup to 95-5 in your favor.

@Zero Gamer: Lol, nice Blazen post.

Anyway, I've been playing Lambda a lot lately, and she's definitely secondary material.

The 6D aerial approach **** combo is just too good.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I love Ragna vs. Tager. The way that the characters get into the fight is awesome. Tager especially,

Tager: /catches Ragna in the Gigantic Tager, flicks him into the air/ Don't tell me this is it... /breaks his back on the way down/ ...Grim Reaper!!

Or when Ragna wins a round, "What's wrong Red Devil~?"

"Sector Seven's next to nothing."

Ragna and Tager for most baller BB chars.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Quick question though: Why do they hate each other so much? I remember in Ragna's gag reel he commented on how Tager and he weren't tearing at each others throats yet.

Idk, maybe they just have OVERWHELMING TESTOSTERONE. I bet women could get pregnant just standing near them.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Noel would like a word with you.
LOL. So true.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel like wanting to play BB again. Mainly because I haven't even finished the story (halfway done).
I'll probably get right on that as the weekend starts.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yeah, same. I have to stop playing so many fighting games. It's getting ridiculous. You can really only be kinda good at one or two at a time anyway.

I've been trying to pick up SSFIV, but I just don't think it's a game for me. I just don't get it. :I

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I love Ragna vs. Tager. The way that the characters get into the fight is awesome. Tager especially,

Tager: /catches Ragna in the Gigantic Tager, flicks him into the air/ Don't tell me this is it... /breaks his back on the way down/ ...Grim Reaper!!

Or when Ragna wins a round, "What's wrong Red Devil~?"

"Sector Seven's next to nothing."

Ragna and Tager for most baller BB chars.
Tager's burst during vs. Ragna.
So good.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've been trying to pick up SSFIV, but I just don't think it's a game for me. I just don't get it. :I
SF style is really close to chess. So to win, you really have to learn what option you should take in each scenario. So it takes awhile to actually understand SF before doing really well. Then the rest is basically on learning every character matchup which can be hard.

This helps a lot http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

And if you do understand how SF works and it still isn't fun, then SF isn't really your style then. XD
I play almost every fighter which hinders my ability to improve on just one. :laugh:

Adapt

Smash Lord
Yeah, same. I have to stop playing so many fighting games. It's getting ridiculous. You can really only be kinda good at one or two at a time anyway.

that's been the same with me for the entire street fighter series... I just can't get into it.

I tried playing most characters in CT before choosing Nu with Jin for a secondary. I was told that Nu was pretty good, but I just liked the idea of throwing swords at people.

Now that I'm not a total noob at the game I still play Lambda to throw swords at people. I tend to keep my characters irrespective of the tier list or patches.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
OR, you can just say "Don't Get Hit."
And figure out the various ways to follow that rule.

Congrats, you're now good at that fighting game.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
SF style is really close to chess. So to win, you really have to learn what option you should take in each scenario. So it takes awhile to actually understand SF before doing really well. Then the rest is basically on learning every character matchup which can be hard.

This helps a lot http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

And if you do understand how SF works and it still isn't fun, then SF isn't really your style then. XD
I play almost every fighter which hinders my ability to improve on just one. :laugh:

Well, I played the heck out of Third Strike, and I still really enjoy it. But I just don't get IV, I don't know why. It's funny because all of the SF players make fun of me because I play games like BlazBlue and Guilty Gear, but I don't get IV. :p

Anyway, I've been messing around with Chun, Viper, and Hakan. I guess I'll keep at it, and I'll either get it or not.

Thanks for the link though, I'll check it out when I get off work.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Tager's is da bess.
Seeing a Genesic without the typical blue background really puts into perspective how high he's throwing you.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I laughed so hard at Arakune's and Tager's.

BEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Jin's was also amazing just for the nii-san factor.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Ok, I've decided to dual-main Noel and Lambda after a couple hours in challenge mode.

Noel is still my favorite character to play, but Lambda's combos are really "clicking" with me for some reason, lol.

Top Bottom