• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
I guess we could use my place, but I'd have to clean stuff up first.
I won't be able to do it this next weekend I don't think since I'm going to be headed home to visit my parents.
since my plans fell through the floor i would still like a shot to play you guys if you get something together i am sure me and a couple of my buddies could show for sure.

also my smash party was still pretty good just to let you guys know don't feel to bad like 20 people showed.

Flandy121

Smash Apprentice
Glad you still had a good turn out Zelow I kinda felt like a duche bag for not coming. I was in marching band for Grand Valley but I dropped it so now I'll have more time for smash lol. Oh P.S. that reminds me of a story. I had a gay moment for Acro this past weekend... I was in Midland Friday night for the Saginaw Valley vs. Grand Valley football game and we got there around 6pm, and the first thing I thought of when I got there was "I wonder what Acro and his crew are doing tonight?" Then I instantly thought to myself "WTF am I thinking about Acro for? Man I'm gay" ... What can I say Smash is life!

Vayseth

Smash Master
Yeah, WTON was AWESOME. I had a good time. When deciding on whether or not to enter Singles, I decided to instead MM people in Naruto and buy taco bell with Dark Kakashi, and it was definitely the right decision. GOOOOOO OOK!

Dark Kakashi

Smash Ace
Vayseth, I'll go to Ann Arbor if you have a Naruto side tourney in future Brawl events. <3
I'll bring my bro and other top players to show off how to play the other characters in that game, cause I could not play Temari or Neji at all. lol

Dark Kakashi

Smash Ace
Vayseth, just tell me the next time you will hold one and I'll try to plan accordingly so I can get my Bro and possibly Dignity to go with me to the event and play some Naruto. ^_^

alcoady

Smash Ace
whats up w/ everyone in west mi having an awesome kirby in melee?

must be all the skillllzzzzzzzz
so much skill in west MI air that it's palpable.
Mmm Mmm good....*****

Shaeden

Smash Journeyman
anyone wanna MM my marth in melee? i'm new to the melee scene and i heard it's a good way to learn stuffs.
on a side note, brawl is the best game ever and i really enjoy playing it.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Melee deeper? I guess if deeper means faster and flashier. All I did was spam smashes and did pretty well. In some ways I feel faster and more in control in brawl just cause doing things is much easier and I can think of things to do and actually do them instead of being limited by my poor technical skill. I guess that's one reason I like brawl more, cause I sucked too much with techs to do cool looking stuff.
I don't understand why people keep saying things like "Brawl isn't a good competitve game." No worries, though. People have finally come around to Brawl. Tons of players like M2K, Azen, and even Anther all like Brawl more than Melee now. Only a few vocal people keep hating on Brawl, the rest of us enjoy it quite a bit.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The best part of that quote is that its source links to a thread in the SBR so non-SBR people can't actually refer to the thread.

I enjoy Brawl, but it still annoys me. And I'd have a discussion with you about that except you're never on AIM.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
good job ****** that gamerzlivelounge thread LOL :)

we even got 'Nevershootme' (Eddie) up in there

Actually Eddie is a very cool asian guy :) reminds me of Ankoku but like a COOL Ankoku. he drove me around when i first got there and helped me with moeny when i was low like you guys know i am alot of the times :)im prolly 30 bux in debt to him :)

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
Man... why does everyone hate brawl?
because people havent figured everything out yet and put it on youtube so all the nooblars can copy it and try to come **** tournaments. give it like 1 more year and maybe closer to 2 years and people will either start LOVING brawl or the scene will diminish into thin air

Shade_666

Smash Apprentice
The reason I say it isn't a competative game is because there is a blatant ceiling which no one can break through, brawl is based solely on character match-ups, if your char sucks there is nothing you can do to make them better, in melee you could work on l-canceling every effing move you do until you start bleeding from the eyes, and in turn will make your character faster, thus better.

Vayseth

Smash Master
While that's true to some extent, you have to realize that there is definitely a ceiling people haven't even tried to break through. Until you see Legan's Link (which is the first thing I've seen come close to a melee-style version of Link) I don't think anyone really understands how much potential this game has.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
The reason I say it isn't a competative game is because there is a blatant ceiling which no one can break through, brawl is based solely on character match-ups, if your char sucks there is nothing you can do to make them better, in melee you could work on l-canceling every effing move you do until you start bleeding from the eyes, and in turn will make your character faster, thus better.
go play G&W in melee, play till your eyes bleed and you have a brain anurism, you not gona do **** with him. i dont care how hard you try

Rat

Smash Lord
brawl tournaments are pretty ok. But w/out that added pressure brawl friendlies get boring real fast. =/

that being said, you'all better come to the next GR tournament. I think it's Nov. 8.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Wow, everyone should quit this melee BS right now. Just because a game isn't as good does not mean everyone can bash it. It's not like the game is unplayable... Trust me, until your series goes from AWESOME to absolutely unplayable, you have no right to complain.

GNT 4 -> GNT EX. Adjusting the engine to the wii proved unsuccessful, which lead to no block stun on any moves (meaning you could punch anyone out of anything), counter hits immediately grounding opponents as opposed to being able to combo, on the ground infinites, character-specific infinites, wake up unblockables, and a down grade of the cast from over 30 to 14. It was bad.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I didn't say anything about Melee. I just said Brawl, when not played for fun, gets annoying.

Shaeden

Smash Journeyman
i don't know why people care so much about opinions. i could give a **** less if you like brawl or melee more, CS > both bad games. not to mention, i hate melee.. the game is so.. bad.. and i suck at it.. so that's why i hate it. but i also suck massive donkey nuts at brawl. so i hate that game as well. anyone who loses to me in either game needs to /wrists.

also you should all play FPS games, they take no skill whatsoever, just point.. and click, everyone feels like they're amazing.

Flandy121

Smash Apprentice
Whoa what did I start? Well I'm glad people do like brawl. Brawl is my preference. My room mate left the wii at home so we only have melee at our appartment as of now. I hate melee because the buttons don't work for ****. Although I had never seen Anther's Melee Pika and yes it is pants wetting amazing. So I picked up Pika in Melee. He is one of the few characters that seems similar in both games. Please note I did not say "the same" There is obviously a big difference. I just feel that Pika has the most concepts that carry over. So all in all this discussion has made me happy, I had lost faith in Brawl for a quick second. Now if only some people wanted to play around GR... Rat?

Anther

Smash Champion
And there isn't a blatant ceiling that's silly. 5 Months ago it looked like there was a blatant ceiling and somehow people are still getting better at the game. Obviously the ceiling hasn't been hit, and the mix-up/reading game always goes a bit further than what can be technically done anyway.

I have fun in brawl friendlies and tourney matches, and I remember the same thing in melee with mah best friend fo life biggy always sounding a bit annoyed with tournament matches while others played like every game had $5 on the line XD.

Shade_666 said:
if your char sucks there is nothing you can do to make them better, in melee you could work on l-canceling every effing move you do until you start bleeding from the eyes, and in turn will make your character faster, thus better.
I'm pretty sure that the characters that sucked, sucked with the thought of L-cancelling in mind XD, and once you could l-cancel reliably, there was no l-cancelling harder to the point that the char got more viable. Plus the fact that most chars had supposed "Tier based" restrictions in everyones eyes anyway.
If you can't find any other possible chases or openings to create it's the player's fault and not the characters. A lot of borderline good characters get a lot better as people just play around with them.
A lot of players get comfortable and stagnate in learning new things, which is really what holds a lot of the win-able characters in the game back imo.

Top Bottom