• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

TheMann

Smash Ace
Anyone in the dearborn area wanna meet up for some friendlies? I'm bored as hell.
Hmm you say Dearborn area? Does that count Inkster too. Because I would be willing to do friendlies whenever. Just PM me if ur interested in playing.

JGALT

Smash Cadet
How close is Dearborn to Rochester Hills? It's like 40 minutes or so right? That's kind of far...

I just moved into the Detroit area, and I'm house-sitting for my aunt. I work during the week, but weekends I'm super-bored because I don't know anyone here.

Likewise, anyone interested in playing in the Rochester Hills area, fire me a personal message and we'll see if we can get something together.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
ever heard of the GSC (Global Smashers Compendium)? it's like that, except for google earth, and worldwide, and done by Simna. Also iirc Ankoku made some MI map last year or something.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't really see or read much of either, but manga's definitely where it's at, unless it's something epic like FLCL, in which case you have to read the manga AND watch the anime because they're almost completely different yet both worth it.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Negatory. The FLCL manga was horrid. FLCL is one of the rare few cases where the anime truly does trump the manga. Off the top of my head, the only other anime > manga series I can think of is Scryed.

clowsui

Smash Legend
wait anime > manga? in that case gurren lagann for sure
another one is one piece (sub), anime does it MUCH better because it maintains pretty nice animation quality throughout and the voice actors do their work well

RussellChamp

Smash Apprentice
Heh... I'm lazy and would rather watch anime (subbed, of course!!) than read the manga. Most scantilation teams do a fairly poor job with translating the manga compared to the quality of subs with anime. Also, I like watching the anime cuz I can pick up a little Japanese (phrases here and there) that I couldn't do while just reading manga. :-D

Scala

Smash Ace
The death note anime was essentially the exact same thing as the manga. I don't see how anyone can say that either was better. IMO people who say manga is better in these situations is just trying to be the more 'hardcore' otaku that says the manga is better just because most people (english-speakers) don't read the manga. >_>

But Panda is right regarding FLCL, the manga is soooooooo incredibly bad in comparison. Gainax does a great job with their anime series (though I don't think NGE was as great as everyone makes it out to be...). TTGL ended up being spectacular-- it's going to become the next NGE~

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've never seen nor read Death Note, so I can't really say much on that. I know I was heavily disappointed watching the Nausicäa movie after reading the manga, though.

lain

Smash Master
anime is a lot more action packed. seeing Yomiko Readman do 6 backflips and form a paper barrier which then shoots out to spear her opponent is not even close to as interesting as reading it.

reading things is just so boring. i'm a good reader, and can take on really difficult books (james joyce anyone?). and in fact, reading BOOKS is just fine. but manga is so ****ing boring.

FLCL manga was ****ing ridiculous.

NarutoShocker

Smash Ace
Best manga ever is Berserk hands down.

Lain, I can't believe you said that. But I do see where you're coming from. It does have a better aspect of action scenes in the sense that you can actually see the action instead of reading what's going on with some still shots in the background.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Meh everyone has their preferences with anime over manga/vice versa. No use trying to convince otherwise, believe me I've tried.

Berserk is awesome. The best is maybe an exaggeration but it was amazing.

*goes back to lurking MI thread*

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
The death note anime was essentially the exact same thing as the manga. I don't see how anyone can say that either was better. IMO people who say manga is better in these situations is just trying to be the more 'hardcore' otaku that says the manga is better just because most people (english-speakers) don't read the manga. >_>

But Panda is right regarding FLCL, the manga is soooooooo incredibly bad in comparison. Gainax does a great job with their anime series (though I don't think NGE was as great as everyone makes it out to be...). TTGL ended up being spectacular-- it's going to become the next NGE~
Gainax's stuff seems to be the universal exception to the rule of manga > anime. In fact, I'm pretty sure that there aren't mangas for most of their stuff before they make it into an anime, i.e. Evangelion was made in-studio. The manga came much later. Which is the weirdest trend ever. Also, TTGL was incredibly awesome, but having been to Japan, I can safely say that nothing will ever top how stupidly popular Evangelion has become.

anime is a lot more action packed. seeing Yomiko Readman do 6 backflips and form a paper barrier which then shoots out to spear her opponent is not even close to as interesting as reading it.

reading things is just so boring. i'm a good reader, and can take on really difficult books (james joyce anyone?). and in fact, reading BOOKS is just fine. but manga is so ****ing boring.

FLCL manga was ****ing ridiculous.
Did ROD even have a manga?

Best manga ever is Berserk hands down.
This is the first time I've seen someone share that sentiment. Among the hundreds of manga I've read, the Berserk manga is either my #1 or close to it.

I need to watch Berserk. From what I hear it's exploding with GARliness.
I generally tell people to watch Berserk first, then read the manga. The anime kinda ends right where the real manga begins, so you HAVE to read the manga after watching the anime. But the differences are also pretty big, and the Berserk manga is a bit strange in the beginning, so the anime helps you keep that in perspective while reading its beginnings.

Scala

Smash Ace
Gainax's stuff seems to be the universal exception to the rule of manga > anime. In fact, I'm pretty sure that there aren't mangas for most of their stuff before they make it into an anime, i.e. Evangelion was made in-studio. The manga came much later. Which is the weirdest trend ever. Also, TTGL was incredibly awesome, but having been to Japan, I can safely say that nothing will ever top how stupidly popular Evangelion has become.
Dude no kidding about NGE. These recent movies didn't help in the slightest either. It's way out of control for what is really a pretty mediocre show. Have you seen RahXephon? People always compare it to NGE as a ripoff but I find it to be miles and miles ahead in terms of depth and story. NGE might have had RahXephon in terms of character development because it definitely did a good job with that, but I still think RahXephon was superior (I'm planning on watching it again, actually).

I generally tell people to watch Berserk first, then read the manga. The anime kinda ends right where the real manga begins, so you HAVE to read the manga after watching the anime. But the differences are also pretty big, and the Berserk manga is a bit strange in the beginning, so the anime helps you keep that in perspective while reading its beginnings.
Oh I looked up more info on Berserk and yeah I totally gotta watch it after seeing so many great clips on AMV Hell. The one thing that was deterring me from watching it up til now is that I always thought it was a 50+ episode series, and I tend to shy away from those like the plague. They always seem to become pretty mediocre when they're dragged out longer than the usual 26 or so... (my exceptions being FMA, FMP, GTO, and Monster). But yeah, I'm definitely going to check Berserk out.

Also, have you ever read any of Urasawa's manga series? 20th Century Boys and Monster were both INCREDIBLE and you could get sucked into his stories like nobody's business.

And since we're on the topic of anime, has anyone seen either "Darker Than Black" or "Gun X Sword"?
I've been hearing good things so I downloaded them but I was curious if anyone could vouch for either.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
All this random otaku talk makes me want to look for Kagetsu Tohya again. :V

Let's get on another topic, please. Or I'll EX-Shield your anime and Last-Arc it, *****.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Dude no kidding about NGE. These recent movies didn't help in the slightest either. It's way out of control for what is really a pretty mediocre show. Have you seen RahXephon? People always compare it to NGE as a ripoff but I find it to be miles and miles ahead in terms of depth and story. NGE might have had RahXephon in terms of character development because it definitely did a good job with that, but I still think RahXephon was superior (I'm planning on watching it again, actually).
RahXephon was a silly and stupid rip of NGE, and it was an incredibly mediocre series at best. At least NGE was above average :/

Also, have you ever read any of Urasawa's manga series? 20th Century Boys and Monster were both INCREDIBLE and you could get sucked into his stories like nobody's business.
20th Century Boys has been on my to-do list for years. I think thats the next manga I'll tackle. And Monster was superb.

And since we're on the topic of anime, has anyone seen either "Darker Than Black" or "Gun X Sword"?
I've been hearing good things so I downloaded them but I was curious if anyone could vouch for either.
Darker Than Black starts out really good, but then gets boring. Quite dissapointing. Also, Gun X Sword is best described as "Meh." Which, FYI, isn't much. I highly suggest spending your time on better anime. For example, I haven't seen it yet (I'm currently downloading it), but I've been assured by several people that Code Geass is amazingly good and better than Gurren Laggan (which I have a hard time believing). But the kicker is: Its made by Clamp. That gives it one strike in my book from the start, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Top Bottom