• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Scala

Smash Ace
RahXephon was a silly and stupid rip of NGE, and it was an incredibly mediocre series at best. At least NGE was above average :/
Ahh oh well, RahXephon is one of those shows that you either like or you don't like.

20th Century Boys has been on my to-do list for years. I think thats the next manga I'll tackle. And Monster was superb.
Oh yes, do it. It's funny I was at a con and I recognized a guy that was cosplaying as one of the characters ("Friend") as who he was in the show and he just like COMPLETELY FLIPPED OUT because nobody else recognized him.. made my day, and his apparently.:laugh:

Darker Than Black starts out really good, but then gets boring. Quite dissapointing. Also, Gun X Sword is best described as "Meh." Which, FYI, isn't much. I highly suggest spending your time on better anime.
Alright, thanks for the heads up. I might watch Darker Than Black regardless since it looks like it has a really unique and interesting style. Though I might avoid Gun X Sword. It was one of the two shows here that had a cowboy bebop-esque feel to it and that was one of the main reasons that I downloaded it in the first place. If it was Gun X Sword that's like that I may end up watching the first few to get a feel for the show and ditch it :ohwell:

For example, I haven't seen it yet (I'm currently downloading it), but I've been assured by several people that Code Geass is amazingly good and better than Gurren Laggan (which I have a hard time believing). But the kicker is: Its made by Clamp. That gives it one strike in my book from the start, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
LOLNO, though I have a feeling I know who might be the ones hyping it up >_>. I swear, they talk about Code Geass nonstop and they're all TTGL trolls. It has it's intellectual moments and is pretty cool but it's also really superficial at times and is super tacky. Worth a watch anyways.

NarutoShocker

Smash Ace
I kinda liked Gun X Sword. I mean it wasn't the **** but I felt it was at least worth watching if you don't have any other anime that you're watching atm. As for Code Geass, it's kind of a similar concept to Death Note with more actual combat scenes. The strategy is still there but its more or less war strategy. I'm probably not even giving it justice with my description but take my word for it. That **** is good.

And NGE was not above average imo. It started off really well then it got emo, then emo and off track, then emo off-track and more emo. I have never seen an anime with that many emo characters before. And I have never seen an anime that had one emo character who made everyone around him emo. combat was decent at best and the story.........it's NGE.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I kinda liked Gun X Sword. I mean it wasn't the **** but I felt it was at least worth watching if you don't have any other anime that you're watching atm. As for Code Geass, it's kind of a similar concept to Death Note with more actual combat scenes. The strategy is still there but its more or less war strategy. I'm probably not even giving it justice with my description but take my word for it. That **** is good.
Code Geass is interesting since the manga has like..5 chapters? But the anime goes way beyond that. Heck, it's already in it's second season, and **** that first season was good. Lelouch reminded me most of Light from Deathnote, the whole change-the-world to your liking idea and all that. He's kinda corrupt too, in a sense, not as much as Light though.

As an aside...anyone ever seen/read Basilisk? I've only watched it and it was pretty entertaining. The only gripe I have is that it seemed like it ended too quickly, certain characters were barely developed/got much screen time. Overall it was enjoyable. Lot's of good action and a decent plot.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Code Geass is interesting since the manga has like..5 chapters? But the anime goes way beyond that. Heck, it's already in it's second season, and **** that first season was good. Lelouch reminded me most of Light from Deathnote, the whole change-the-world to your liking idea and all that. He's kinda corrupt too, in a sense, not as much as Light though.

As an aside...anyone ever seen/read Basilisk? I've only watched it and it was pretty entertaining. The only gripe I have is that it seemed like it ended too quickly, certain characters were barely developed/got much screen time. Overall it was enjoyable. Lot's of good action and a decent plot.
I didn't like Basilisk much at all. It was just an anime for empty entertainment for the fight scenes and stuff, which is good sometimes I guess.

Also, I'm gonna start Geass soon I guess. I'm considering converting the episodes to avi so I can watch them on my 360 instead of my comp, but I'm kinda lazy.

clowsui

Smash Legend
wait Code Geass > TTGL?
as far as i'm concerned lelouch is nowhere near the manly levels of kamina, post timeskip simon or spiral-kittan.
moreover megalomania NEVER tops giant drills and the destruction of the concept of "0%". NEVER.

Levitas

the moon
megalomaniac is a cool song, however.

They're different genres, I like them both, but they appeal to me in different ways. Therefore, I may crave one over the other at different times. I don't know that I'd compare them linearly like that, clowsui.

Scala

Smash Ace
@rusty: Gurren Lagann WILL make your face explode. Just warning you.
Also, I dunno if you're coming to Rofa's on friday but I'll bring my harddrive with me that has 20-30 (ish) anime series on it if you want to steal some of it. I have the entire Gurren Lagann as well as a bunch of other good stuff.

So if anyone wants to take some of my stuff and save the hassle of torrenting it, just bring something to store it on, the average Anime series I have is 4-5gb, so have enough space if you end up wanting to get some of it. :)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Does anyone here play IaMP? So far MI looks like:
ShardZ - MBAC and maybe IaMP?
SCOTU - MBAC
Levitas - MBAC
Kagu - MBAC
Omniswell - MBAC
me - MBAC and IaMP

We need more IaMP players! loli bullet hell fighters rawr

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Dude lain tell me if you have a gamepad or stick because I'm the only scrub who's scrub enough to be allowed to play keyboard on these games. : P

Scala

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure IaMP (as well as the rest of the touhou games) is MADE to be played with the keyboard. Regardless, the button combinations aren't too difficult to do on a keyboard.

I would say we should play IaMP but I suck so incredibly badly at it I would get *****.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm pretty sure IaMP (as well as the rest of the touhou games) is MADE to be played with the keyboard. Regardless, the button combinations aren't too difficult to do on a keyboard.
There's a difference between "made to support keyboards" and "made to be played on a keyboard." PoFV is one of the better examples of this, where the two-player keyboard layout is completely impractical and is basically a direct translation of joystick inputs.

Scala

Smash Ace
Yeah I know there's a difference. I'm fairly positive that ZUN made the game with the intention of playing it on the keyboard. I don't know at all about any of the other doujin fighters since I don't play any of them...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah I know there's a difference. I'm fairly positive that ZUN made the game with the intention of playing it on the keyboard. I don't know at all about any of the other doujin fighters since I don't play any of them...
First of all, ZUN did not make IaMP; Tasofro/Twilight Frontier made it. Second of all, the example I used, PoFV, is Touhou 9.

Scala

Smash Ace
First of all, ZUN did not make IaMP; Tasofro/Twilight Frontier made it. Second of all, the example I used, PoFV, is Touhou 9.
Oh haha, I'm not much of a diehard Touhou fan, I didn't realize at first that you were referring to Phantasmagoria of Flower View (or whatever it's called). What's the difference in the 2 player keyboard layout? I've played netplay with some friends on the keyboard and I didn't have any issues.:confused:

Unless it's different from the rest of the Touhou games I don't see the problem. I've been doing just fine with the keyboard (working on 1CC PCB on norm). I can't really say for IaMP though, I am good friends for a few years with one of the guys that works real hard behind the netplay scene in IaMP (mauvecow, maybe you know of him?) and I thought I remember him telling me how the game is meant to play w/ keyboard. If not, it might have been him just saying that he plays it himself w/ the keyboard and has absolutely no problems.

Yeah, I didn't know that it wasn't made by ZUN though. Learn something new all the time. IaMP is TH9.5 right?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
mauve is ridiculous, in a good way. IaMP is 7.5. Netplay on PoFV doesn't change your controls because each of you has his own keyboard. I play Touhou on keyboard too, (1CC'd everything on easy, 1CC'd EoSD 3 lives Normal, 1CC'd PCB 5 lives Normal, got to final stage IN and MoF Normal) but it's still definitely a gamepad-esque kind of game.

Scala

Smash Ace
It's funny, I used to play MMOs with mauve a long time ago. I was lurking a japan forum (yes that one) one day and mauve comes up in one of the touhou threads, so I was like.. I wonder... So I asked him and I learned all about his god status in the Doujin Fighter community. I asked him to teach me and that's when I realized how actually difficult this game is. I might pick it up since I've been pretty board this summer and I <3 being masochistic when it comes to games. (Shoot the Bullet is awesome fun, even if it takes 100+ tries XD)

So, what does PoFV do to **** up the controls in multiplayer? I can't see it being that bad.
It's not going to be long until I can 1CC PCB, I often don't use my bombs and I die when I could have lived a lot longer. Once I get better at that then I'll be able to beat it. I can get to stage 4 or 5 on both EoSD and IN before I needed a continue. MoF is ridiculous hard to me compared to the others, I can only get to stage 3... I tried the demo for Subterranean Animism and I have a feeling that it's going to be fiendishly hard, a lot of the bullet patterns require you to rotate all the way around the screen (moreso than in the others). Good stuff though, all the TH games are a lot of fun.

I kindof want to play SWF rather than IaMP because from an outsider's point of view, the game looks a lot better. But I was talking to mauve about it a month or so ago and I learned the whole deal about how broken the game is and how they punish players for perfect blocking and some other inconsistancies. I hope it gets fixed but when I do it seems like the community is very similar to smash bros, they aren't going to want to move from IaMP to SWF just like how people didn't (don't) want to move from melee to brawl.

Regardless, would you want to play a few games of IaMP if I end up picking it up (as well as giving some constructive criticism)?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sure, but I'm not exactly clear on how to teach the game to others. I just play SCOTU and hope he picks something up from getting beaten all the time until he stops losing.

PoFV makes the controls become a layout of (on the numpad) 8 up, 4 left, 6 right, 2 down, with 5 doing nothing and the diagonal keys moving you diagonally. All in all not fun when you're used to the arrow keys/WASD format and you hit 5 expecting to go down and instead get railed by a bullet because you went nowhere.

SWR follows the same design philosophy as Brawl.
Developer's Blog said:
However, our aim on SWR was to change a fighting-game from “Competition”; where knowledge and skill determins 99% of win-lose, to a “Game”; where luck and random situation matters a lot.
Yeah, **** that. To top it all off, the characters have actually been made less balanced than IaMP's cast.

Scala

Smash Ace
ohh man I thought SWR just screwed up their coding/balancing and were going to patch it to fix the problems with it.

I don't really need to be taught, I just need to be told what I am or aren't doing. I played SWR for a bit just to see how the game controls so I don't have too much of an issue with movement/performing actions, I guess it's mainly spacing issues/not resorting to button mashing haha.

Is Melty Blood played with similar controls as IaMP? If I play one will I have the general ability to play the other (minus moveset knowledge)?

And those PoFV controls suck, bleh.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Is Melty Blood played with similar controls as IaMP? If I play one will I have the general ability to play the other (minus moveset knowledge)?
Uhh, ask SCOTU. I will say that MBAC's combo system is a lot looser than IaMP's, though.

Top Bottom