• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I got 2nd seed in 1st rd pools behind Captain Jack, then swept out of 2nd rd pools by Chllin/M2K/Idea. James got 1st seed in 1st rd pools but didn't make bracket because lost to Colbol and DruggedFox in 2nd rd pools. He and Teczero put in work in doubles, they beat a couple good teams including Hack/Zhu and are guaranteed at least 9th going into Sunday.

It was one of the messiest tourneys I've ever seen in terms of setups and venue arrangements though. Melee wasn't allowed to use half of the venue, which remained empty all day, and only had about 45 setups for... 64 pools. Go ****ing figure.

:phone:

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
I never thought of capturing with Pinnacle Studio 12 for EasyCap.

I hate all of you.

And didn't lain enter melee singles too?

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
I haven't tested yet, but I saw a vid of the best quality you could get from Pinnacle Studio using EasyCap, and it's amazing..... for an EasyCap

10x better than my ****ty quality.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
Yoooo this is KoolOriBro on DRDN's account since he and Tech are out on their merry way. I'm positive only lain and I are the only MI people to make it round 2 pools. Everyone drown as 3rd or 4th seeds. Imma be sleeping since i need to be there early.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
The worst part about today is that now I have expectations for next year for the Lions for the first time ever.

Also good **** Lain and Ori/

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
how is that irony? thats called logic.

MK is being banned because he is overpowered, a tourney with mk legal would in theory have an mk win because he is overpowered.

it would be ironic if a NON metaknight won.

but also i hope you took note of how many good mks got demolished by non mk players. Overall id say this tourney fully demonstrated the power of OTHER characters abilities that americans havent discovered (olimar and rob). Dabuz is our best oli and he got BODIED. We obviously dont understand the metagame at the level the japanese do. Yet they dont ban mk, interesting.

they have way more discipline then american players. You could see that over the stream even. When they messed up you could see their shame at themselvs, not their anger at others. The fact that (generally) americans get angry and salty after matches leads us to banning characters and changing our ruleset to achieve a better "balance" while all it is doing is prolonging our inevitable need for self improvement.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero

MK is being banned because he is overpowered, a tourney with mk legal would in theory have an mk win because he is overpowered.

but also i hope you took note of how many good mks got demolished by non mk players. Overall id say this tourney fully demonstrated the power of OTHER characters abilities that americans havent discovered (olimar and rob). Dabuz is our best oli and he got BODIED. We obviously dont understand the metagame at the level the japanese do. Yet they dont ban mk, interesting.

they have way more discipline then american players. You could see that over the stream even. When they messed up you could see their shame at themselvs, not their anger at others. The fact that (generally) americans get angry and salty after matches leads us to banning characters and changing our ruleset to achieve a better "balance" while all it is doing is prolonging our inevitable need for self improvement.
I should post this in other threads.

However, I'm pretty neutral-leaning towards not banning him.

Zinoto

Smash Lord

I'm glad Japan came to Apex because it really offered a wake up call for our metagame. I really like how you put it though, a lot of our top MK players got demolished (many of them by Olimar). I personally think that MK shouldn't be banned in singles (doubles maybe). Even though he is extremely powerful in this game this tournament has proven that he is, in fact, not invincible. Otori and Nieotono were flat out good. Otori made MK look twice as fast as any of our players did and Nieotono had complete control of his character as well (taking convincing games off of our MK's). I feel that the MK ban will be used as a crutch and might hinder personal development. Japan simply outclassed a lot of our players (I noticed it especially in doubles). Otori+Nieotono simply had a type of synergy that none of our players had. They both had godlike control of their characters and punished really well. That all simply came from flat out practice, which is all I will be doing from now on.

SN: Roller, we need that type of synergy when we do teams at the next tourney. They were too in synch. We're taking the next tourney :cool:

SSN: So much :salt: for M2K's melee placing. I can only imagine the crap he's gonna receive on the boards after that. Also I wanna hear you guys experience of Apex, I hope you guys had a good time down there ^_^

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher

Props to the Japanese players for having that kind of mindset.

They proved why Apex 2012 was the pinnacle of Brawl imo.

Though I'm still disappointed that I missed the Melee stream :(

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
@rabbi no now the new complaint will be when in america the MK main beat the Oli main which doesn't happen normally so he's broken in america or we showed him how to use him better or something

And did you get to see M2K get ***** by otori? Nairo/anti will win next years doubles

@apash it was apperantly good until GF with more timeouts the a sonic Brawl GF

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero

Apasher post in the apex results thread 5 hours later

I hope that this tournament was an eye opener to the American players for Brawl.

The Japanese players had the right mindset. When they mess up and lose, they have shame on theirselvs and have self-improvement, whereas American players tend to get salty at others, which causes bans anyway

Oh you

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
using that logic rich brown would win but dabuz had a bad day imo

im neutral about banning im just pointing out my observations. I think maybe the bbr rc should go back to the drawing board because if americans want to beat japan next time i dont think banning mk is going to achieve that. Just my opinion, not trying to start a war -.-

zyth

Smash Lord

im neutral about banning im just pointing out my observations. I think maybe the bbr rc should go back to the drawing board because if americans want to beat japan next time i dont think banning mk is going to achieve that. Just my opinion, not trying to start a war -.-
Just my opinion, not trying to start a war
not trying to start a war
WW2 already happened

:troll:

Zinoto

Smash Lord
By virtue that apex was a national it was fun, but as far as nationals go, it was very unsatisfying. The lack of VGbootcamp made a much bigger difference than I thought it would.
They definitely make a huge impact on tournies.

Their style of teams relies heavily on both players being as good as or better than their opponents and double MK.
I'm not talking about their strategy particularly (Roller and I need to come up with our own), but the fact that they were completely synchronized. Even under pressure and while being attacked, they could still help out their teammates or finish combos. I was really impressed by their performance. Tech's last tourney was my first doubles competition and I got carried hard mainly because I tried too hard to be a one man army. I've got something to look forward to in future smash events now ^_^.

Lol I was thinking the same thing. "If we ban MK, will Japan come back o.O?" :yeahboi: I like the fast play that MK makes me perform. I'm curious to see how it will pan out.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Words can't describe my urge to play after watching Otori play in both Singles and Doubles. I'm so looking forward to this year, I will never be running an :metaknight: banned event.

Sparta Kick

Smash Ace
Words can't describe my urge to play after watching Otori play in both Singles and Doubles. I'm so looking forward to this year, I will never be running an :metaknight: banned event.

I'm excited, I hate to admit it, but I am a MK main and though I'm not 100% pro ban, I am intrigued as to how MI will "evolve." When I joined The MI scene in 2008, there was so much character diversity, everyone became known for them playing that character. As MI moved into late '10/'11, MI began to realize MK's dominance and we gradually all switched. I feel like we CAN grow, and this negative feedback is what prevents growth.

Marco, if you want to prove to us that the ban wasn't correct, play that wario of yours, place well and prove that we were wrong.

Also Apasher, you shouldn't be quick to judge. you are still learning about both games. You shouldn't be that quick to judge especially since you haven't been around long.

:troll:

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
That made my day spartakick ^___^

If mk players pick up anything it should be the the reverse air rush -> bair -> buffered dsmash in the ditto. Sooo effective and it's almost never done.

Top Bottom