• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big MI Discussion Topic

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Roki, if you're still looking for a way to deinterlace without the ghosting, try using Yadif algorithm on vdub.

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
Guys Otori and the rest of Japan suck, I mean they are only good at playing MK. Eveyone knows that MK is flat out broken, I used to be anti-ban but I really do think the ban is good, and you guys shouldn't be so wishy washy on all your decisions. I admit that there were no real reasons I ever thought MK should be legal, I just was too upset and didn't want to have to learn a new character. I don't think we should change the the ban because eventually when we have MK banned nationals and Japan comes over they won't be able to beat us without MK because our metagame will have evolved far past their metagame of only having to predict what frame 5 move will come next. Prediciton, spacing and other such skills are only useful for the MK MU, so can you imagine how bad they'll be when the Japanese players who don't play MK will be when they come to these Nationals?! USA will be able to asset it's dominance in the Brawl scene indefinitely, and isn't this what we all really want anyways?

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
LOL sk with the reads D:

But seriously, this weekend made me realize the ban is ****ing ********. I'm actually sad I thought it was a good idea and should happen.

eh call me a hypocrite, but eh MK needs to be here.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Fun tournament.Best Smash experience of my life.

I'm....reconsidering my stance on the MK ban. I openly admit that I voted "Yes" when myself and the rest of the URC deciced to make the official vote. However, despite Otori being an MK main and winning this event, my eyes have been opened to a few things. I realize that there is so much we have not figured out that the Japanese have. Witnessing Ocean defeat M2K first hand and Nietono just power through a gauntlet of some of our best players really intrigued me. I feel like this ban may indeed be a mistake and that banning Metaknight may set us back. I realize at least personally that I won't get better if I half-*** my training and what I'm exposed to on a tournament level. I keep wondering why my region is so much worse than the rest of United States and now I know why.

I hate Metaknight. I despise the character with a passion and I do believe he's is ban worthy... but if we're really this far behind the Japanese, how can we exceed if we ban Metaknight knowing he won this event. I think banning Metaknight in the Unity Ruleset is actually an oxymoron because it'll probably just cause more division between us if anything.

Tl;dr version: Banning MK now would be a premature decision. I think we need to improve first before considering banning him. Ban worthy? I think so. Should we? It's too early to tell.

Posted this in the results thread. Thought I'd post it here as well. I learned so much this weekend.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
tech, since your a ruleset dude ill give you my opinion. I think that right now the best step to take is to severely take a look at legal stages and counterpicks. The japanese were never afraid to take on adhd on final D, they didnt see a need to take him to a janky stage. I like counterpicking and it makes it fun and all but it could be a contributing factor that they can never rely on stages to assist them in their play. They play on neutrals and get forced to improve solely their skill, not their knowledge of stages and how to utilize their surroundings, Americans win in that category but for now just raw skill is whats needed. The japanese adapt tremendously well to stages they arent as used to as us, just because in their minds character control >>>>>>> stage control. Not always the case for the everyday brawl player. No offense to anyone but if you are REALLY GOOD at one stage that means literally nothing, its nothing worth noting imo. I think the stage list should take a beating. Just my two cents.

honestly it all comes down to what the bbr rc's true goals are. To make tourneys popular and fun for people, or to get people interested in being competitive and improving. Both are fine options, the bbr rc just need to figure out which option is something they want to strive to achieve.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Yeah I'm way for 7 stages Max, 3 stage starters (not FD).

bf/sv/yi(lylat)
Delfino/FD/PS2/lylat (yi)

Also MK is about to be unbanned in Nebraska too, may ban D3 though.

zyth

Smash Lord
honestly I was hyped over an Oli gettin so high in bracket at Apex. add the fact that M2K the supposedly best MK in the world got knocked out relatively early by R.O.B. shows that this ban is pretty unnecessary at the moment. I was anti-ban from the start, and I don't even really use him anymore.

SN: I think we brawl players should start up a SF thread like melee has. I honestly would like to know when some are so i can practice with other ppl. I only get to beat up Ron atm

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
True tier list.
1. MK
2. Diddy
3. Ice Climbers
4. Olimar
5. Falco
6. Marth
7. Snake
8. Wario
9. Pikachu
10. Dedede

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
I'm 100% pro ban because MK isn't fun to play against.
thats a valid opinion. Like I said, it depends if youre going for fun or competitiveness.

lets be honest, every other competitive game the asians dominate. Why do we expect smash to be any different? lol. I said what I think needs to be done to beat them, but who cares about beating them honestly. Brawl isnt really a competitive game by nature, might as well have fun with it.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Brawl isnt really a competitive game by nature, might as well have fun with it.
It may not be competitive by nature, but I'll be damned if what I saw this weekend wasn't Brawl being played at the absolute best.

We had the Best on the West Coast clash with the Beasts of the East Coast in amazing high profile matches that did nothing but show us how competitive this game can be. The Dragons of Japan came over and claimed victories that not even American smashers can get. Our Eastern Asian Overlords have opened our eyes to a level of metagame that we thought we had already reached. They helped us realize the HUGE mistake we made by voting "yes" and that should be taken back. With Metaknight banned, Brawl really loses a huge aspect of the game that draws the competitive side of the game out. Sure he is a bannable character, but we need Metaknight. He is what will bring the best out of every character, thus creating a very competitive game.

Roller

Smash Legend
tech, since your a ruleset dude ill give you my opinion. I think that right now the best step to take is to severely take a look at legal stages and counterpicks. The japanese were never afraid to take on adhd on final D, they didnt see a need to take him to a janky stage. I like counterpicking and it makes it fun and all but it could be a contributing factor that they can never rely on stages to assist them in their play. They play on neutrals and get forced to improve solely their skill, not their knowledge of stages and how to utilize their surroundings, Americans win in that category but for now just raw skill is whats needed. The japanese adapt tremendously well to stages they arent as used to as us, just because in their minds character control >>>>>>> stage control. Not always the case for the everyday brawl player. No offense to anyone but if you are REALLY GOOD at one stage that means literally nothing, its nothing worth noting imo. I think the stage list should take a beating. Just my two cents.

honestly it all comes down to what the bbr rc's true goals are. To make tourneys popular and fun for people, or to get people interested in being competitive and improving. Both are fine options, the bbr rc just need to figure out which option is something they want to strive to achieve.
I agree with this. A lot.

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
Lol brawl isn't competitive. You can say anything is competitive depending on what you compare it to. Brawl has to many random uncontrollabe aspects of the game for it to be really considered competitive. Your not gonna beat the japanese... Ever... Do you know how long competitive sf has been going on for? Much much longer than smash. Do you know how often the top Americans beat the japanese? Never... Do you know how often the Americans play against the Japanese? All the time at major tournies. You guys have one tourny with the japanese and now your all being inspired by them as if you can one day beat then? You won't beat them... Ever... Im sorry but it is the truth.

:phone:

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Welcome back from APEX everyone who went. Hell, welcome back everyone else too. Finally there'll be some activity on these boards lol. I'm glad it sounds like you all had good times. Also, what's this about GFs and quitting this game w/ it's direction?

Roller

Smash Legend
Lol brawl isn't competitive. You can say anything is competitive depending on what you compare it to. Brawl has to many random uncontrollabe aspects of the game for it to be really considered competitive. Your not gonna beat the japanese... Ever... Do you know how long competitive sf has been going on for? Much much longer than smash. Do you know how often the top Americans beat the japanese? Never... Do you know how often the Americans play against the Japanese? All the time at major tournies. You guys have one tourny with the japanese and now your all being inspired by them as if you can one day beat then? You won't beat them... Ever... Im sorry but it is the truth.

To be fair. Americans did beat all of them at one point or another, with the exception of Ootari.

D

Deleted member

Ehhhhhh maybe back in the day but in recent years we've been touching the **** more and more. Wolfkrone ocvd one of the Japanese teams at Canada Cup.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
So wait you guys admit the japanese are better then us in skill. Better then the top players by a bit but not unbeatable for top players ask coney. And then you say we need to reverse the ban ON DAY 1. Maybe the ban will help people get good with other chars? Maybe it will get new people in? It sounds like all you guys still want to see Quad MK for dubs....but I don't USA vs Japan in teams was hype for the fact it was USA vs Japan that's it

And don't use M2K getting beat as anything how many of our top players have beaten him recently this ban has made him not like the game anymore and wanting to quit so yeah he played worse then he used to and gets ***** by almost all the top players. If you want to get better then GET BETTER don't act like Having MK banned is going to stop that. Everyone in this state is still going to lose to the same people because they aren't as good yet work on that before making yourself sound so wishy washy on your views and as for anyone in the URC if APEX really changed your mind (a single tournament) then you should not be in charge of anything

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
Really depends Japanese players have said in interviews how people like Latif, Wolfkrone, PR Rog and yatta yatta would be considered top level or the best if they moved to Japan.

You're mentioning 4 players who are the best America has to offer and still don't really beat Japan. Japan is miles ahead in fighting games let alone street fighter.

Also whoever said we beat them at some point or another in brawl makes me laugh. Congrats you beat them once or twice in a game that Japan doesn't even take seriously. You think competitive brawl is the most popular fighter in Japan? Lol get real. If the game was any good and more of Japan played it instead of just a Handful of players nobody would have beaten them. Japan doesn't care about brawl yet they still ***** America. The brawl community needs to stop being so naive.

D

Deleted member

The list goes on...F Champ, Mike Ross, Floe, Flash Metroid, Justin Wong, Banana Ken and a lot more.

You really should just take my word for this since I actually play this game and participate in the community.

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
Japan still asserts its dominance in the game far more then we do. Don't lie. And like I said, competitive sf has had a lot longer and popular history then smash.

D

Deleted member

Japan still wins tournaments but it definitely isn't as one sided as you guys are saying.

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
But their fighting scene as a whole is much better than America's. And it is the scene that you are in that makes you a better player. Why do you think the japanese said those players would better if they played in Japan? Same thing happens in other games, for instance in sc when foreigners get good they get invited to korea to play.

Top Bottom