• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Samus Player in the Country.

strawhats

Smash Master
LOL Wes, your time was up in 2005. You're lucky I even gave you 2004 after I mauled you @ GS2 ;)

You got me in that FC3 crew battle though :(

And you're right, you were the father of Samus, but if we compare our environments and accomplishments, you're more like the Wilt Chamberlain of Samus, not MJ. You pioneered, you dominated your time, but I came after, did it better and longer, and with better competition.

@ Himynameisruss, my reason for retiring is simple. I don't want it like these up-and-comers want it.

You've probably heard the phrase before; if you you REALLY want to succeed, you have to want it as much as you want to breathe. I'm at a point where I've experienced enough and been in practically every kind of position I can think of with this game, and multiple times. I've done this for a very long time, and I did this in a successful manner longer than anyone out there right now. I'm gassed out, and these newcomers are hungry.

I can compete with talent and skill till the end of time. But if I'm not hungry, then I can't compete with hunger.

It's the plain truth. After reaching success in competition, without proper motivation, you start to play just to not lose, and that's when you know it's time to hang it up. You gotta do it if you want to bow out respectfully and maintain your dignity/pride/legacy.

It's one of the hardest things I've ever had to consider, and it's partly why I'm not willing to say I'm 100% on it yet. I do know it's my time though, and it does make me sad.
hmmm...I'm beginning to think that this was Ken's mindset when he retired.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Ken's mindset had more to do with him hating the community and the people within it.

I ****ing love this community, and I plan to remain a part of it forever.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Wow I'm gone for a while and this is what I see? Ok now why are you people already just calling plup the best so fast? he hasnt been to BIG TOURNAMENTS yet or played more notable players in the country, hugs did He is still the CURRENT BEST SAMUS. Now thats settled Hugs your are the present best samus I was the past best samus and I can call myself the best samus of all time, because I paved the way for all of you, and dont deny that I'm the Jordan of samus and your the Kobe of Samus. With that being said I shall return and take back what was my title in the past. The different between basketball is that age puts a toll on your performance luckily this isnt the case. All i would like to say is good job to all the Samus players that have been holding it down for all this long, thanks for holding the torch for me including you Hugs. It's time to hand it back to it rightful owner.

P.S Hugs you didnt hold it down for 6 yrs make that about 3 yrs i guess your mistaking yourself for the amount of yrs I held it down with Samus, but I understand that you just " want to be like Mike".

P.S2 I will not be doing Samus Dittos to determine whos best Samus thats the silliest thing I have ever heard of that determines who is the best with a character. Also how is everyone forgetting Ihavespaceball. And one more thing the dude that is hating saying " this is like a battle on who has the smartest penguin" seems like you arent that good in the game, that's why you probably put up a post as bitter as you did. Its all good guess everyone has a role to play on these message boards you are definitely assuming the position.

Anyways see you guys on the battlefield.

Yours truly,
DALEGENDARY SAMUS
LOL Wes, your time was up in 2005. You're lucky I even gave you 2004 after I mauled you @ GS2 ;)

And you're right, you were the father of Samus, but if we compare our environments and accomplishments, you're more like the Wilt Chamberlain of Samus, not MJ. You pioneered, you dominated your time, but I came after, did it better and longer, and with better competition.

@ Himynameisruss, my reason for retiring is simple. I don't want it like these up-and-comers want it.

You've probably heard the phrase before; if you you REALLY want to succeed, you have to want it as much as you want to breathe. I'm at a point where I've experienced enough and been in practically every kind of position I can think of with this game, and multiple times. I've done this for a very long time, and I did this in a successful manner longer than anyone out there right now. I'm gassed out, and these newcomers are hungry.

I can compete with talent and skill till the end of time. But if I'm not hungry, then I can't compete with hunger.

It's the plain truth. After reaching success in competition, without proper motivation, you start to play just to not lose, and that's when you know it's time to hang it up. You gotta do it if you want to bow out respectfully and maintain your dignity/pride/legacy.

It's one of the hardest things I've ever had to consider, and it's partly why I'm not willing to say I'm 100% on it yet. I do know it's my time though, and it does make me sad.
All we need now is for Oro to post.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
I'm the Jordan of samus and your the Kobe of Samus.
Does this mean that Pulp is the Dwight Howard of Samus, Alegen? Yea, couldn't help my self there.

and I agree with HugS though, Pulp might be the future samus.

chillindude829

Smash Master

i felt this exact way last year... lol i've been in the game even longer than you hugo, but after getting my *** whooped my dr. pp this weekend, im still hungry. i understand how someone like ken or azen could retire (even though azen's coming back), but for someone like me who's never been the dominant force in melee, the hunger is still there... no reason i cant be the best player out there

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
Return of the king

Hugs I did more than you have with samus for a longer time. And succeeded overall more than you have pushed Samus far in Teams and singles, which making me overall better along with coming closer than you as far as utilizing all of what she has as a character. But this will be a never ending argument hopefully with my return you might breathe some life into your skills but hey its on you. Reason I'm returning is to push Samus further than anyone has, combining the past present and future into one character. utilizing all she has. I'm coming back for the love of the game, not the money there are far more easier ways to make money than entering tournaments with Samus only lol. I have too many good memories and unfinished business in this game.

*Turns on SSBM*

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
i felt this exact way last year... lol i've been in the game even longer than you hugo, but after getting my *** whooped my dr. pp this weekend, im still hungry. i understand how someone like ken or azen could retire (even though azen's coming back), but for someone like me who's never been the dominant force in melee, the hunger is still there... no reason i cant be the best player out there
This is part of the reason why I'm still around now. Watching PP rise to the top in such a short time, and whooping my old *** at NC tourneys was sort of a wake up call.

Yeah, the game's old and the Greats like Ken have done their thing and are in stone, but for some reason I'm not satisfied so it's kinda hard for me to understand why you would be getting close to retiring, Hugs. Especially since many old school players are coming back.

EDIT: @ Below: I understand. :)

HugS™

Smash Lord
I meant in terms of maintaining consistent success. You quit for a solid 3 years or more, and only recently began to really resurface. Also, a few of the great players that came before me, like Mike G, took on a more laid back approach to the game and didn't concern themselves too much with placings any longer.

I've stayed at relatively the same high level since 2005 (fluctuating around top 20 nationwide) up until very recently, so that's what I meant by longest successful run. Amsah is the only other person I can think of.

And I know what you're saying. But I think a lot of your motivation now stems from the fact that you want to prove to yourself, and many others, that you can reach roughly the same levels of success in this new metagame as you were able to in the past.

That's what motivated me heavily after returning from a 1.5 year hiatus, where people were telling me that my Samus got by on slow foxes in the past, and that I couldn't hang in the post-brawl metagame where people didn't really make mistakes anymore. And I did it, I returned to roughly the same level, ranking 2nd for a year straight in Socal, one of the strongest regions anywhere, and winning regionals in the West Coast. All this with a dead character, and in a metagame where perfect execution and speed was the name of the game.

That's what drove me. If I could find something like that again, I'd love to experience it all over again. If your motivation right now is to be the best out there, more power to you. I don't doubt that you'll at least return to your top player status that you enjoyed in your heyday.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Also Chillin, it'd help if my scene was like yours. I hear you, Cyrain, Azen, and tope play semi regularly. Socal lost it's smash hub when Dunskies moved away. We simply don't play like we used to.

@ Wes, I got respect for you, but facts are facts lol. You didn't do it longer, and you didn't do it more dominantly in terms of being the best Samus, as I was already a very arguable challenge to your throne when I first surfaced.

Your inarguable place as 4th best in the nation during a certain period of time is super impressive though, and that's where you got me. I was never 4th best in the nation. But the competition wasn't as stiff back then, no one knew what to do back then, and you've been talking about coming back for years now while never coming close to the results of your past.

And LOOOOOOL @ Applehead and Peanut Head

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Nemo, Cyr, and Porc are the best European samuses.

Rohins is the best Samus in the world, though. Sorry.
No.
porc doesn't play Samus anymore... it's been almost 2 years now, come on ! That's like saying that Ek is still one of the best Marths in the world.

As for Nemo, he didn't attend any tournament outside of Spain, and I don't even know if he still plays (since the Spanish scene is secret as ****).

However, K12 has a good Samus, even though he don't main her. He beat Faab quite recently.
And Cyr is also a very good player.

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
I am LOSING it in this thread.

This has got to be the most entertaining thread I've seen in Melee Discussion for a good while.

D

Deleted member

yo WES the kid in discussion (plup) already plays MAD similar to you.

someone needs to teach this kid edge guarding and he'll be a beast.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion

I really like how you express these things.

I really wonder about the day that itch disappears. Sad indeed.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Ken was more like this:

-loses to me at mlg ny 3/5 set vs my fox and walks away without shaking my hand
-loses to me in crews at mlg finals then wins a rematch vs my fox
-(doesn't attend FCD which i win)
-gets 3 stocked in oc3 crews
-gets ***** at oc3 singles (shook hand this time)
-wins evo world cuz mango sandbags the **** out of him after mango beat me, then ken doesn't fight me
-proceeds to go online, saying he's the best marth
-proceeds to decline money matches vs any of my characters when i challenge him to either my sheik, marth, falcon, or fox, saying there is no point and he already proved he's the best
-proceeds to get ***** at super champ combo that i win, and then again refuses my money match saying he already retired, even though he entered and got 9th. I guess when you win a tourney you don't fight your best opponent at is a great convenient time to say you are retired but enter events afterwords anyway and nothing else matters. In that case, I'm retired Brawl because I won genesis2.

that's what really happened

Vouge

Smash Journeyman
ken was more like this:

-(doesn't attend fcd which i win)
-wins evo world cuz mango sandbags the **** out of him after mango beat me, then ken doesn't fight me
-proceeds to decline money matches vs any of my characters when i challenge him to either my sheik, marth, falcon, or fox, saying there is no point and he already proved he's the best
-proceeds to get ***** at super champ combo that i win, and then again refuses my money match saying he already retired, even though he entered and got 9th. I guess when you win a tourney you don't fight your best opponent at is a great convenient time to say you are retired but enter events afterwords anyway and nothing else matters. In that case, i'm retired brawl because i won genesis2.

That's what really happened

0_____________________________0

Van.

Smash Ace
What a delightfully irrelevant topic.
Might as well debate the smartest penguin in Europe.
Also how is everyone forgetting Ihavespaceball. And one more thing the dude that is hating saying " this is like a battle on who has the smartest penguin" seems like you arent that good in the game, that's why you probably put up a post as bitter as you did. Its all good guess everyone has a role to play on these message boards you are definitely assuming the position.

Yours truly,
DALEGENDARY SAMUS
IHSB made the smartest penguin in europe comment.

Looks like you've got some catching up to do.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Ken was more like this:

-proceeds to get ***** at super champ combo that i win, and then again refuses my money match saying he already retired, even though he entered and got 9th. I guess when you win a tourney you don't fight your best opponent at is a great convenient time to say you are retired but enter events afterwords anyway and nothing else matters. In that case, I'm retired Brawl because I won genesis2.

lol ur such a nerd

Vegard

Smash Lord
Sigh... mew2king, whydoes everything have to revolve around you?

Plus Ken was already in an inactive period around the time he attended Evo... and we all know that Evo tournament did best of 1 sets - lame

keeper

Smash Champion
Ken was more like this:

lmao.

10kensbraces

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Ken was more like this:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

f***n *****. ken getting exposed.

Top Bottom