• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bakery - Realised I can still edit the thread title!

-Cross-

Smash Ace
So how good of a stage is Lylat for us? I know tilting stages are generally meh for Falco b/c it screws with his IAP, but there seems to be a lot of potential with 3 platforms to platform cancel on.

Edit: Also DeltaCod stay free :troll:

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
if you mis-space your side b to the ledge you could fall to your death. kind of like pokemon stadium. there's extra options to recover, similar to battlefield.... yet not quite as good. i only say it's similar because you can recover onto a platform, to the middle of the stage (aka another platform), or of course to the ledge. definitely not as good as BF though.

i think it's a good stage vs ice climbers. you can camp from a side of the stage, and the tilting actually helps us not get punished as easily. but i still hate the tilting because of what you said about it screwing our IAP up.

high ceiling is also a problem

honestly, I hate lylat... but now that i think about it it's not TOO bad. but i do usually ban that stage.

Tilting alters a lot more than one would think at first glance.

-You slide when you land with fast fallen aerials, so the extra slide distance could result in missing a punish or getting punished.
-Projectiles which interact with the floor have different trajectories than you might think. A glide toss across an upward tilt is shorter in range than down it. A pain when you try to reflect something and it goes no where except into the stage.
-Certain moves will stay parallel to the tilt while others will have the same motion as if it were on a horizontal axis.
-Chaingrabs get screwed up or can be prolonged.
-Phantasm gains extra lag pretty much on either a down or upward tilt.
-Lasers can be completely ineffective with Falco at the top of a tilt or can be more effective when towards the bottom of a tilt.

I find Lylat can be as random as tripping as times depending upon the situation. A ftilt misses a short character because I did not angle it down to hit them on the slope and instead I eat a fsmash back. A situations that clearly could have been avoided if the Ftilt actually hit. Its those little alterations to playing that throw me for a loop. But its a good stage if your the one with all the experience on it.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Yeah there are definitely negatives to the stage. It's just that I've been practicing a lot of platform canceling lately, and I even started to get some consistency on platform cancel>instant shield drop through the platform. By doing this tech and lasering as you fall through the platform, you can get close to a silent laser. It's also the quickest way to get a laser out that's safe, and I think it's a good pressuring and camping mixup. It's only one tactic, and I'm sure there are plenty of others. I wouldn't say the value of this trick outweighs the negatives of this stage, but I think Lylat could be an interesting stage for Falco.

@BC, where do you get the data for the ceiling height of stages? Or do you just know that Lylat has a high ceiling?

Bloodcross is right. But it is not a great deal taller.

Easiest way to find stage heights is use a method of getting a KO on someone and recording it. This way you can compare stage heights. You can look up in the stage files for positions of various things, but I do not know enough about that yet.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Bleh, I guess I could always test it out, although I was wondering if there was maybe a thread with all that info that you guys knew about.

Btw it seems that a lot of people are more motivated to get better after Apex. How do you guys feel about this? Personally, I'm very excited that I'm coming back into brawl now when it seems that either MK will be banned or if he isn't, people (at least top players) believe that MK is a manageable MU as long as it's not on a ridiculous stage like Rainbow Cruise instead of being emo about MK.

Also I never knew SLS (a Japanese player considered the best with 9B) was a Falco player, but once I did, I watched some matches. I was very impressed, his tech skill is pretty gdlk (which seems to be a given for any Japanese player) and he made some of the most ridiculous reads. If you any of you guys haven't seen him, I would recommend that you do. Just type "SLS Falco vs" in YT if you don't know where to look.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I know this is a double post, but here's just a example of SLS for those of you who haven't seen him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5O4_tG5t10&list=PL4B4B92729B4EE009&feature=mh_lolz Freakin' godlike lol. That item control is insane, there's a very nice combo/string that he puts together in the middle of the match, and you can also see how he beats some of Diddy's most troublesome moves, most notably that monkey flip.

he doesn't win because of an amazing comeback by the Diddy player. The moment I saw that first hit by Diddy, I started getting hyped lol. Keep in mind, this is like 4 in the morning.

I did a bit of this on my Usmash thread for stage heights. King DDDs did it to on one of there older guides which is sticked or in their directory.

I have not seen people saying they wish to improve more so than before. Its sort of always been there. I'm mostly impressed with how he handled the banana catching in that video.

Notices
On January 18th, from 8:00am to 8:00pm EST, MLG and all of the sites on its network (including Smashboards) will be participating in a blackout to protest the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. To read MLG's announcement, click here.
I wonder what other sites are protesting this. Facebook and Google supporting this would be massive.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
League of Legends's company Riot is opposing SOPA, so there are quite a few gaming communities speaking out. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of big supporters of it, like GoDaddy.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
January 18th human efficiency rises b/c people do things besides internetz lol. And seconded on the banana catching. I like how smoothly he could FF air dodge into glide toss. Maybe I should pick up Diddy just to get that type of mastery.

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
That single naner lock from the diddy at the end was godlike and it even was done on WiFi.
Them playing on WiFi probably feels like HDTV lag at most lol.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
What types of HDTVs lag? I keep adamantly telling some of my friends that a lot of HDTVs have lag, but they just refuse to believe me.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
HDTV, it's all about the cables. Btw BluB, any new matches from you? It's always fun to watch your Falco :D

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
Nope, I haven't been attending any tourneys lately.
But I'll probably attend a tourney in februrary and there might be new matches afterwards if I won't suck :p

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I briefly read somewhere that the SOPA act was negated by a governor.

Is the blackout still necessary? >.>

I heard something similar in an article. But rather it was saying that SOPA was being put aside for the time being. No idea about PIPA, but the blackout is only for 12 hours in the middle of the week. No biggy.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I heard something similar in an article. But rather it was saying that SOPA was being put aside for the time being. No idea about PIPA, but the blackout is only for 12 hours in the middle of the week. No biggy.
School will be 30% more boring.

Whatever. For the win.

Someone told me something similar. Today will be the day that 80% of people fail their school papers with wiki being down (if it is).

What are normal prices MinK?

Tearbear

Smash Ace
hi falcos
this board is kinda messy but id just thought id let you guys know that i got 4th place out of 100 recently at WGF(mk banned) with mostly falco/olimar using him against mata(2-0), anuar(2-0), and one game against fiction(i won the game)

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Aww snap, make sure you post those results in the tourney thread. Also which characters do Mata and anuar play?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Dude, I passed a car on the way back from a tourney with the license plate "DR3W." It was a Florida tag. Any chance?

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
So guys

I got some good results.

I beat Kyon :peach: 2-0 at Holy Smash in december
then
I beat Poltergist :yoshi2: 2-0 at APEX 2012

I must be doing something right now guys.

EDIT: and i beat PikaPika :pikachu2: in an MM also at APEX.

Top Bottom