• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The B.C. Brawl Power Ranking [Updated Ranking! Winter 2012-2013 Season (MK Legal)]

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
I approve of this bump. If there are any tournaments in the Vancouver area after September I should be able to attend and maybe someday rank in this somehow (since I'll be living in Burnaby for school soon).

:)

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
Hey guys, so T-block, Kuraudo, Alphicans and I had this idea to host a regional or national tournament sometime during the winter (probably dec or jan). We want to first get an idea of how many people would be willing to travel to Edmonton, Alberta to attend this tournament so we can get a rough idea of the amount of interest in such a tournament.

Combined we all have very good experienced at running and promoting tournaments, Firefly can vouch for us haha. We'd likely (about a 90% chance) be able to get a free venue, meaning no venue fee, just an entry fee. The tournament would be at the University of Alberta meaning there would be plenty of places to go eat such as Edo, Subway, etc. that are close by.

I'll stay tuned into your thread for a while here hoping to hear the amount of interest BC has in this idea. Also if you could possibly spread the word around to the rest of BC (becuz i think ur main area is vancouver?) and direct them to this thread or to just PM myself or T-block that would be great.

We're hoping to get both BC and Sask in on this and we've also heard the east coast could be interested in travelling down as well! It would be awesome to get ally down here!

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Hey guys, so T-block, Kuraudo, Alphicans and I had this idea to host a regional or national tournament sometime during the winter (probably dec or jan). We want to first get an idea of how many people would be willing to travel to Edmonton, Alberta to attend this tournament so we can get a rough idea of the amount of interest in such a tournament.

Combined we all have very good experienced at running and promoting tournaments, Firefly can vouch for us haha. We'd likely (about a 90% chance) be able to get a free venue, meaning no venue fee, just an entry fee. The tournament would be at the University of Alberta meaning there would be plenty of places to go eat such as Edo, Subway, etc. that are close by.

I'll stay tuned into your thread for a while here hoping to hear the amount of interest BC has in this idea. Also if you could possibly spread the word around to the rest of BC (becuz i think ur main area is vancouver?) and direct them to this thread or to just PM myself or T-block that would be great.

We're hoping to get both BC and Sask in on this and we've also heard the east coast could be interested in travelling down as well! It would be awesome to get ally down here!
Vouching for the legitness of this message. :bigthumbu

Pretty much all of BC as we know it is in either the Vancouver area or on Vancouver Island, so pretty much everybody we know should see this anyway. I think there will be interest, but whether or not we'd be able to come would be dependent on getting a driver and a vehicle to make the trip. If we can sort that out, and assuming we can get the time off, I'm sure we could get at least 1 carpool up for this. =D

P.S. - I probably wouldn't be able to come if it was during Christmas break.

:005:

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
I probably wouldn't be able to make it because:

a.) I have no drivers license
b.) I'll be at school full time and probably won't have the time to commit.
c.) Being at school fulltime I'll probably have little to no money.

It could work out if it was on a break period and I was able to share a ride or something.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I made a post in an islander's group, and decided to post it here as well, as it applies to both. Hopefully there is no hard feelings, but I'm posting this in the hopes of getting a more accurate PR in the future. Anyways... the post:

42_ said:
This PR is based upon personal opinion, not tournament placings.

We all complain that the BC PR is not done properly at all. They basically take the last tournament results, then use those as the now PR. Ties are determined biassedly. This is a horrible way to produce a PR, and causes many inaccuracies. This is one extreme to making a bad PR.

Now, what you guys are saying, personal opinion (aka bias) is determining the PR, not tournament placings at all... speaks for itself. I'd consider this another extreme to making a bad PR.

A PR is meant to rank the top 10 players as accurately as possible. The easiest way to see how people rank amongst each other is by tournament results. Obviously, tournaments rank players by itself due to the nature of tournaments. However, tournaments should not be taken as the only source of making a PR (this is exactly where the mainland PR fails).

The best PR's take into account many things, in order:

1. Tournaments
2. Money Matches
3. Friendlies/recent performance inside/outside the tournament

1. Tournaments. Sure, tournaments may be by far the easiest way, and after 3/4 tournaments, you could make a PR based simply off of those results. Therefore, tournaments should, for the most part, be the largest contributing factor to the PR. However, different brackets may cause different results (e.g. an overpowered bracket vs an underpowered bracket, as seen in Phoenix 1... yes, Trevor's bracket was much easier to go far in. Not discrediting Trevor's placement at all, he definitely deserved 5th... but that doesn't change the fact that his bracket was much easier than the other brackets until later on). So as nice as tournaments are in creating PR's, there are downsides to tournaments as well. Also, say a Fox player had to play against a Pikachu player early on and got eliminated earlier than he should have because of this, this shouldn't cause his position to drop significantly in the PR. Yes, it should be taken to account (and maybe he should have chosen a different character), but that should not cause a major significant drop in the PR.

2. Money Matches. Ok, maybe we don't do many money matches in Vancouver Island or BC, but these can be considered as legitimate serious sets (well... unless people go random characters or something... with the exception of me and Brian who both main random ;) anyways, back on topic). If Player A and Player B tied for 5th in a tournament, where Player A was eliminated by the guy who eventually came in 2nd, while player 2 got eliminated by the guy who got 4th, if Player A later money matches and wins against the guy who got 4th, 3rd, and 2nd (wins the revenge match), then Player A should obviously get a higher PR placement then player B. However, not only that, but (in my opinion), having beaten 4th, 3rd, and 2nd in money matches, his placement should maybe go up to 4th, or maybe even 3rd (logic here being if he had beaten 2nd place, he would have potentially gotten 2nd himself). So... although tournaments make a somewhat accurate list for a PR, money matches can be used to fine-tune the list to make it more accurate (which can be useful in separating ties for 5th or 7th, as previously described).

3. Friendlies/recent performance. Ok, yeah, friendlies, not everyone tries their hardest, so quite obviously, these would be at the bottom of the list. However, recent performances can be used to help with possible 'problems' that might occur if tournament results were used raw. For example, say something happened (e.g. family member sent to the hospital a few days before) and someone gets a lower placement than they usually get (e.g. 9th compared to an average of 3rd). It wouldn't be fair to just drop that person's rank to 9th. This is where recent performances can be used to help in the making of the PR. If this person could, say, before the family member being sent to the hospital, consistently beat the people who got 7th and lower on the PR, lose to the people who got 4th or better, and go about even with the 5th placers, then his position should be around 5th/6th ish. Similarly (especially in 42's case in the BC PR), if someone is unable to attend a tournament, but would easily place in the PR, friendlies/recent performances against people should be used to try to semi-accurately place him into the PR where he may fit.

So... yeah... I believe both the Island PR and the mainland PR are being done wrong in a way (not saying they are completely inaccurate, but there are flaws). Each is wrong in a completely different way (Island being because it's based off of bias, while mainland because it focusses way too much on the tournament results). Hopefully both can be improved such that they both become much more accurate in future releases.

Max113

Smash Apprentice
I made a post in an islander's group, and decided to post it here as well, as it applies to both. Hopefully there is no hard feelings, but I'm posting this in the hopes of getting a more accurate PR in the future. Anyways... the post:

We all complain that the BC PR is not done properly at all. They basically take the last tournament results, then use those as the now PR. Ties are determined biassedly. This is a horrible way to produce a PR, and causes many inaccuracies. This is one extreme to making a bad PR.

Now, what you guys are saying, personal opinion (aka bias) is determining the PR, not tournament placings at all... speaks for itself. I'd consider this another extreme to making a bad PR.

A PR is meant to rank the top 10 players as accurately as possible. The easiest way to see how people rank amongst each other is by tournament results. Obviously, tournaments rank players by itself due to the nature of tournaments. However, tournaments should not be taken as the only source of making a PR (this is exactly where the mainland PR fails).

1. Tournaments
2. Money Matches

1. Tournaments. Sure, tournaments may be by far the easiest way, and after 3/4 tournaments, you could make a PR based simply off of those results. Therefore, tournaments should, for the most part, be the largest contributing factor to the PR. However, different brackets may cause different results (e.g. an overpowered bracket vs an underpowered bracket, as seen in Phoenix 1... yes, Trevor's bracket was much easier to go far in. Not discrediting Trevor's placement at all, he definitely deserved 5th... but that doesn't change the fact that his bracket was much easier than the other brackets until later on). So as nice as tournaments are in creating PR's, there are downsides to tournaments as well. Also, say a Fox player had to play against a Pikachu player early on and got eliminated earlier than he should have because of this, this shouldn't cause his position to drop significantly in the PR. Yes, it should be taken to account (and maybe he should have chosen a different character), but that should not cause a major significant drop in the PR.

2. Money Matches. Ok, maybe we don't do many money matches in Vancouver Island or BC, but these can be considered as legitimate serious sets (well... unless people go random characters or something... with the exception of me and Brian who both main random ;) anyways, back on topic). If Player A and Player B tied for 5th in a tournament, where Player A was eliminated by the guy who eventually came in 2nd, while player 2 got eliminated by the guy who got 4th, if Player A later money matches and wins against the guy who got 4th, 3rd, and 2nd (wins the revenge match), then Player A should obviously get a higher PR placement then player B. However, not only that, but (in my opinion), having beaten 4th, 3rd, and 2nd in money matches, his placement should maybe go up to 4th, or maybe even 3rd (logic here being if he had beaten 2nd place, he would have potentially gotten 2nd himself). So... although tournaments make a somewhat accurate list for a PR, money matches can be used to fine-tune the list to make it more accurate (which can be useful in separating ties for 5th or 7th, as previously described).

3. Friendlies/recent performance. Ok, yeah, friendlies, not everyone tries their hardest, so quite obviously, these would be at the bottom of the list. However, recent performances can be used to help with possible 'problems' that might occur if tournament results were used raw. For example, say something happened (e.g. family member sent to the hospital a few days before) and someone gets a lower placement than they usually get (e.g. 9th compared to an average of 3rd). It wouldn't be fair to just drop that person's rank to 9th. This is where recent performances can be used to help in the making of the PR. If this person could, say, before the family member being sent to the hospital, consistently beat the people who got 7th and lower on the PR, lose to the people who got 4th or better, and go about even with the 5th placers, then his position should be around 5th/6th ish. Similarly (especially in 42's case in the BC PR), if someone is unable to attend a tournament, but would easily place in the PR, friendlies/recent performances against people should be used to try to semi-accurately place him into the PR where he may fit.

So... yeah... I believe both the Island PR and the mainland PR are being done wrong in a way (not saying they are completely inaccurate, but there are flaws). Each is wrong in a completely different way (Island being because it's based off of bias, while mainland because it focusses way too much on the tournament results). Hopefully both can be improved such that they both become much more accurate in future releases.
I just stole the system from the New England PR. :p

42_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5366-1431
Ignore what I said Rob. Go read the PR crap that Max put on the AiB group (New England PR Guidelines) and see if you're satisfied with that. If you're not, go bug Max about it. I don't give a crap on how we do the PR, as long as it looks accurate enough to me.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!! MAX!!!

lol jk :p

Anyways... I was going to post something similar to this for the BC PR, but seeing as I didn't exactly see the Victoria PR as done "properly", I decided to post about both.

bundtcake

Smash Ace

1. Tournaments
2. Money Matches

lol? someone's taking themselves seriously in an area where pretty much nobody but clouderz would make it on a PR in any actually good area

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have too much to say about this, and not enough time to say it.

Interesting way of summarizing the process. First off, this implies we take the raw placements (i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.), copypasta that into a list and call it the Power Ranking. While there is certainly a fairly strong correlation between placements and PR spots, especially at the top, that isn't what we do. We look at who each contender wins/loses against (mainly in brackets, but also in pools to a lesser extent), weigh the pros and cons of their performances, compare players with similar achievements, and make decisions based on what the tournament data tells us. In the past, we have done an update after every large tourney (essentially meaning every event with a good attendance from the islanders), which led to very one-dimensional views of how some of your players do, even though we have several tournaments of data to work with for the mainlanders. Hopefully, including both Phoenix 3 and Phoenix 4 in the next update will give us a better idea of where everyone should really go.

Is there bias? Of course there is. Honestly, it'd be impossible to make an unbiased list, considering the circumstances. I don't want to make any excuses, but all of the past lists have been constructed almost entirely from a mainlander's point of view, and this is because we receive no input from the islanders. As Ced mentioned, you are a panelist, but I've seen very little input from you when we discuss the lists, even when we ask you specifically what you think of what we have. If there's so much wrong with the PR, why don't you say something while we're constructing it? I've also said several times that it would be great to have another panelist from the island, but if I recall correctly, nobody has expressed interest. I don't know if this is because the mainlanders have a reputation of being really biased and lame with the islanders so nobody wants to have anything to do with this, or it's just that nobody cares. Either way, it's a shame, because we have no interest in making a list that makes us look better than we are. We just want to create an accurate representation of how the competition in BC stacks up. Maybe we can't do this if only mainlanders are shaping the list; if this is the case (you clearly think it is), we need more islander input to improve it.

1. Tournaments
2. Money Matches
Alright, I'm going to go through each of these one at a time.

Your entire argument here is based on the assumption that we look at what number each player placed at, and used that to rank them in the PR. As I have stated earlier, this is not true. Take Trevor at Phoenix 1 for example. This tournament did contribute heavily to his rise on the 2nd PR list. We did not go "hurr durr he got 5th move him up"; we looked at who he beat and who he lost to, and compared that to who other people beat/lost to. From what I remember of the Phoenix 1 bracket, Trevor beat Blunted_Object10 (who took 1st seed in pools, beating me, Ewic, and LFL), then beat me (consistanly beats everybody outside the top 3, with a few scattered exceptions, most of which happened at Phoenix 1, lol), then lost to bundtcake in winner's semis, then lost to breez (?) in losers. These are good wins and solid losses, very fitting of a player ranked 7th, maybe even higher, and that's why we bumped him up.

As for your Fox/Pika example, I disagree that character choice should be considered at all. Having to overcome bad match-ups is a self-imposed hurdle, and having to deal with it doesn't earn you a higher rank. If the Fox in your example is a good player, ranked near the middle of the list, and the Pikachu is a casual player who never beats noteable players, and the Fox loses to him in tournament, should the match-up really be used as an excuse? We can't just say "he lost to a random player, but it's a bad match-up, so that balances it out; keep him where he is". The bottom line is, he lost to a player who is in no way a tournament threat, and that hurts his ability to perform. Truly skilled players will overcome bad match-ups or choose better characters to advance.

As a side note, I'd like to add that though you have openly stated several times that you think the bracket at Phoenix 1 was poorly made, I asked you specifically before releasing the bracket if you saw any problems. You said it looked fine. This is very similar to what you are doing with the Power Ranking list now; you withhold your opinions when we ask them of you so you can throw the problems you see back at us after everything's over with. It's getting frustrating, to be honest, and I'd personally really appreciate it if you'd start saying what's on your mind when we ask you for your input.

This argument is also heavily based on the assumption that we clone tournament "number placings" into a PR list. If player A only lost to the player who got 2nd, we treat him as such; we don't arbitrarily rank A lower than, say, the guy who got 3rd simply because he encountered the guy who got 2nd earlier in the bracket. As mentioned before, we look at wins/losses, not #th place rankings.

Money matches themselves are not always true indicators of skill; a lot of people don't play in MMs as they would in tournament. People sandbag, restrict themselves to certain characters, stages, etc. There may be some MMs where both participants actually do perform to their full potential, but these are often difficult, if not impossible to distinguish from the aforementioned sandbaggy ones. So, for consistancy's sake, we simply discard all MMs when considering spots. We could implement a system to consider "ranking matches" as other lists have done, but we haven't yet. So we don't count them.

This is a non-issue if panelists do their task properly. That being said, giving people the benefit of the doubt when they can't attend/drop out early becomes an issue of activity, which is important when being considered for a Power Ranking in the first place. The idea of ranking somebody in a competitive environment based off how they do in friendlies if laughable if you ask me, and I'm sure most competitive players would agree.

I don't agree with a lot of what you said, but I do want to make sure we release the best lists possible.

:008:

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
So, There isn't really a place for me to ask this, so it's going here. I just moved to Victoria, and my buddy Andy said that UVic has smashers that play regularly on wednesday, and sometimes they booker to Vancouver to participate in tournaments. I'm stupidly rusty and am looking for a job so I will remain rusty until I have a job and put some time down on my samus & Fox. Expect me to represent today though.

Hope to see you today Blue

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I wouldn't think there would be an update before I get there. I am coming (along with a bunch of albertans) to the October 16th tournament.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
We don't maintain mini-updates after every tournament. We wait until after we get enough results, and then discuss everything. We also probably won't put much weight on Phoenix 2 at all since it was so long ago.

:008:

Captain L

Smash Champion
actually I think it's because the panel has a minimum age requirement.

Karupin

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: fail post failed, and dont see a way to actually delete my own post...
Yes...
Too cool.
Triangle.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
you ask one of your mod friends to doit for you :p

Yeah I won't be attending this, as much as I'd love to, I kinda need a job first

Top Bottom