• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You can pull into garage B temporarily and get it in that way, I think.
No doom field required, just a doom elevator.

Freaking HATE elevators. Are there any stairs in your building, Joel?

EDIT: Y'know what? **** it.
I'm really tired now and it's 5 A.M. I'm going to end up sleeping in anyway, so expect me to arrive at your apartment around 5 P.M.
I couldn't possibly make a tournament and enjoy the smashfest after with this amount of fatigue.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I think you mean BEST CAT EVER. He's so sweet.

Well guys, that was fun. I'm really happy right now because a few things I wanted to try worked and I feel like I'm quite a bit closer to breaking through one of my barriers now.
Thanks for hosting, Joel. :D

I'll have replays up as soon as I finish downloading and reinstalling the stuff I lost when my laptop exploded.

EDIT: Also.. **** I JUST REALIZED THAT ALL 300+ OF MY BOOKMARKS ARE GONE NOW

Denti

Smash Master
DFW TX IS GOING TO BE THE PLACE TO BE THIS UPCOMING WEEKEND! YOU'RE INVITED TOO...

REVOLUTION 3! THIS STARTS AT 7PM AND LASTS UNTIL LATE NIGHT FRIDAY JULY 1st IN FORT WORTH TEXAS! [held by Denti]
&
PHASE X-2 IS NOON SATURDAY JULY 2nd IN DALLAS TEXAS! This is a :metaknight: banned tournament [held by UtdZac]

Revolution 3 will have Brawl, Melee and Smash 64 tournaments!

Phase X-2 will have the MAD HYPED theme teams event!

Your plan is obviously simple! Come to Revolution 3 Friday night, house with us, then drive(or ride with a fort worth player) to Phase X-2 (a simple 35 min drive) AND CHILL WITH THE EPIC DFW SMASH SCENE!

YOU'RE COMING RIGHT?!?!?!?!
:);):cool:

[if you need help with rides, housing or whatever! Feel free to contact me and we'll work something out! My toll free number is 405-923-7133]

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I think that you'd be a damned good player if you didn't get so emotional about losing a match.
That first combo was nifty as hell.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think there's some validation to it...I would agree that streaming/youtubing playthroughs needs to be limited despite how much it might hurt me personally.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Obviously certain companies may be losing money over this, but there was no reason to give the power to decide whether to pursue legal action for that sort of thing to anyone other than the copyright holder in the first place.
There's also one part of the bill that I keep coming back to, though.

[collapse=S.978]
S 978 IS

112th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 978

To amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

May 12, 2011

Ms. KLOBUCHAR (for herself, Mr. CORNYN, and Mr. *****) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To amend the criminal penalty provision for criminal infringement of a copyright, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. CRIMINAL INFRINGEMENT OF A COPYRIGHT.

(a) Amendments to Section 2319 of Title 18- Section 2319 of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in subsection (b)--

(A) by redesignating paragraphs (2) and (3) as paragraphs (3) and (4), respectively; and

(B) by inserting after paragraph (1) the following:

`(2) shall be imprisoned not more than 5 years, fined in the amount set forth in this title, or both, if--

`(A) the offense consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works; and

`(B)(i) the total retail value of the performances, or the total economic value of such public performances to the infringer or to the copyright owner, would exceed $2,500; or

`(ii) the total fair market value of licenses to offer performances of those works would exceed $5,000;'
; and

(2) in subsection (f), by striking paragraph (2) and inserting the following:

`(2) the terms `reproduction', `distribution', and `public performance' refer to the exclusive rights of a copyright owner under clauses (1), (3), (4), and (6), respectively of section 106 (relating to exclusive rights in copyrighted works), as limited by sections 107 through 122, of title 17;'.

(b) Amendment to Section 506 of Title 17- Section 506(a) of title 17, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1)(C), by inserting `or public performance' after `distribution' the first place it appears; and

(2) in paragraph (3)--

(A) in subparagraph (A), by inserting `or public performance' after `unauthorized distribution'; and

(B) in subparagraph (B), by inserting `or public performance' after `distribution'.[/collapse]
The bill itself seems rather vague, but would the economic value of streaming Brawl or other games exceed $2,500?
I'm so confused.

EDIT: HEY! Another censored word!
What does that one even mean that it has to be censored?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
The bill itself seems rather vague, but would the economic value of streaming Brawl or other games exceed $2,500?
Like it said in the article I posted, yes, it can. That's obviously not the main purpose of the stream, though. They just need the money made from ads to keep the stream going.

There are also people on Youtube who have ads incorporated into their videos because they would otherwise have to take their videos down due to copyright infringement. If anything, as long as copyright owners put effort into keeping control of their copyright these kinds of streams can actually benefit them. That's why a new law that makes this action a felony will not only take away this aspect, but it will destroy today's internet culture, too.

I'm going to go ahead and post that e-mail I sent. Hold on...

EDIT: Here it is:

Hello, my name is Richard Lage, a 19-year-old college student and resident of Miami, Florida. I just heard of a bill, titled "S.978", that has just passed through a committee in the Senate and may eventually make it's way onto the House floor. This bill, if passed, will criminalize online public streaming of copyrighted work, an issue that was previously only handled by civil law. Essentially, what is now only punishable by fines from owners of copyrights may now turn into a government-controlled criminal offense potentially resulting in jail-time.

This bill, if signed into law, will have a devastating effect on internet culture. Although this bill specifically attacks internet streams of films and TV shows, it will also apply to many other areas as well, such as music and video games. I thoroughly enjoy using steaming websites like Youtube to listen to music or watch playthroughs of video games. I also like to use websites like justin.tv to watch live streams of certain video games. If this bill passes, then all of these streams can be charged as a criminal offense and must be taken down from the internet. Embedded videos may also come under attack Even something as simple as a little girl lip-syncing to a popular song can become a criminal offense under this bill. The potential impact this bill has can be catastrophic to everyone who uses websites like these, which includes a large percentage of the American population.

Instead of reverting back ten years, I feel like we should instead find the benefits of internet streaming and see how the entertainment industry can utilize it. We already have ads running on the most popular streaming websites. The internet allows vast amounts of information to travel instantaneously, so surely we can find a way to use it instead of destroying a key element to today's internet culture.

I may be just one person, but I share the same feelings as thousands, perhaps even millions of other Americans when I say to not vote for this bill if it comes to pass in the Senate. Thank you for taking your time to read this, and hopefully this bill will never see the light of day.
So yeah, I'm taking this issue very seriously.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That letter won't be taken seriously simply because you spelled "streaming" as "steaming".

Also it's not about it being alright if there are ads in the videos...youtube, streaming websites, whatever...you're basically taking away potential sales.

For example, there are a lot of games I enjoy knowing the story of...and I could easily go to a wiki or forum and ask for spoilers...however if I want to experience and watch the scenes for myself, I'd go watch a playthrough. So when Alice: Madness Returns came out, that's what I did. I had no interest in buying the game, but it also saved me money from renting, because I got to watch someone else go through the game, watch all the scenes, etc.

You also mention streaming movies and music...well sites like JTV or any unknown streaming websites generally do take these stuff down if the user gets caught. At the same time, there are LEGAL streaming websites like Pandora Music (paying royalties to record companies), and then I'm sure you've heard of sites like HULU and Netflix.

I don't think this law would be hurting us Brawl players...or any fighter games from streaming. I know Capcom is alright with letting tournaments stream their games (while Nintendo is not), but there is no profit gain from streaming at tournies.

Overall though, I do think this bill has some validation to it, but the kinks do need to be worked out.

So even if it's not me shelling out 60 bucks for the game, I could have gone to Block Buster and paid 10 bucks...with some of that going to EA.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't users get PAID to have advertisements on their youtube videos? Really, it's mainly people who get a ton of views that have advertisements.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Oh man, that's the 2nd typo I've noticed... :scared:

Anyways, the biggest problem I have with the bill is not it's intentions (protecting copyright owners), but the way the bill is handling the issue. Criminalizing online streams is NOT the way we should be going forward in the technological world. Not only would thousands upon thousands of videos have to be taken down, but products will also lose a lot of publicity as well. Copyright owners should instead try to find a way to incorporate streams containing their copyrighted material and make it beneficial for everyone. The internet is still relatively new, so it's not like it's impossible for this goal to be accomplished. Making streams a felony is just a backwards process that will run the internet into the gutter.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't users get PAID to have advertisements on their youtube videos? Really, it's mainly people who get a ton of views that have advertisements.
I think it depends. I've heard of cases in which videos were forced to use advertisements that pay out to the copyright owner or else their videos would be taken down. There are also, of course, also advertisements that pay directly to the uploader.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think there's a big difference between say...putting up an episode on youtube compared to a clip. I know the music industry allows anyone to sample as long as the music doesn't exceed 30 seconds. There could be a limit placed on "movie clips" as well.

With that being said, I do see a site like youtube getting hurt quite a bit, money wise if they can't strike a deal with companies. I know WMG is a total **** by making sure none of their videos are viewable.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
But the thing is that the wording is so broad it covers more than just streaming an entire run of a game or having a whole movie up or something. Even just using the copyrighted material at all counts toward this.

And by moving it from civil law, to criminal law, you're not just worrying about the actual copyright holder any more.

It's just a giant overreaction to something that the industry doesn't fully understand, in my opinion.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well that's why I said the kinks need to be worked out lol.

Part of me does not really want to see them go to jail, more or less just have them pay up in some sort way. At the same time, these are white collared crimes so...jail time can be validated.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Ah, sorry. I didn't actually read either of the articles yet because they're almost certainly biased.
I'll read them later.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Ah, sorry. I didn't actually read either of the articles yet because they're almost certainly biased.
I'll read them later.
The one I linked to was written by a lawyer who specializes in this kind of copyright stuff.

Make of it what you will.

Top Bottom