• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I shall practice camping until I can throw my carrots into the face of God and fear no reprisal.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
im probably not gonna be available for anything before whobo, got surprise overtime all this week and next week -_-;

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Just to make sure everyone knows, I'm not going to be attending anything until WHOBO. What I need right now is rest and relaxation.

I can't wait for Spring Break! :estatic:

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Okay, did something really bad happen at Nikefest or something?
This is weird.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm currently ranked 4639 on the Brawl rankings.

I swear I'm gonna destroy people when I get back. This is some bull.

IG88

Smash Cadet
I don't think anything bad in particular happened. People just didn't place as well as they wanted.
yeah i agree with this. i was content with not SDing in any tourney matches though lol, so i have no issues with how i placed

IG88

Smash Cadet
Nick, can you work on the project some today? I'm free after 12:30, but I have a lot of studying to do so I can't work the whole time

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
yeah i agree with this. i was content with not SDing in any tourney matches though lol, so i have no issues with how i placed
Honestly yeah I am a bit upset at not even getting out of pools at a smaller tournament like that, I mean what does that say about my chances at WHOBO? But then again whobo is more just about the experience of such a large event and I shouldn't worry about how I place. Just a bit frustrated at my consistent sucking, losing matches where I have the matchup advantage, and holding back my teams partner due to my suckiness. Anyways I guess this 2 weeks break till whobo will probably do me some good altho it would be nice to play at least a bit on like next thursday or something...

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Guys, WHOBO 3 is 10 days away!!! I got a few things to talk about real quick so please gimmi just a few seconds of your time.

1. If you STILL have not got housing, go to the WHOBO thread and go back a page or 2 because 2 people are offering housing. Its either free or freakin dirt cheap so please take advantage of that ASAP. Here is the whobo 3 thread link http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287843

2. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring as many FULL set-ups(wii/tv/ssbb) as you can. Dugfinn sold ALL of her TVs(she had 65) and now im forced to use what little i have and rely on the TX scene. So Im askin for you guys to give me your help ONE LAST TIME....PLEASE! If you honestly cant bring a FULL set-up, PLEASE bring what you can.

IG88

Smash Cadet
Tourny bracket was stacked, just like pools was.
Look at who made it out in your pool and compare their skill to yours.
this. and also, i wouldn't say that 40 people or whatever it was is small, 25 or so is a bit different but nikefest wasn't small in my opinion

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I could do today but I guess it doesn't work with your schedule? I don't get out of class till 4 tomorrow so anytime after that is good for me.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Tourny bracket was stacked, just like pools was.
Look at who made it out in your pool and compare their skill to yours.
Actually my pool was not bad at all compared to others. I had DMG, who I can usually go almost even with just because of the character matchup, slush, whom I've been going about even with, the one guy I won against, and that zss player, didn't really know / play him much tho so can't really gauge the skill difference there. But still compare that to the other pools and that's not nearly as stacked.

And I mean small in comparison to whobo of course. But anyways ill just suck it up and keep playing for now. Altho I'd still rather be playing B+, =P

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
Okay first, it's Shlike who is 9th in Texas Power ranking.
DMG is in B tier and a really good player.
You probably went even with Slush in friendlies but he's actually a REALLY smart player.
Don't sweat not making out, these three were were a going to make it.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
well all i was saying is that there were plenty worse pools where i wouldnt have even had a chance, compared to the one i was in where i did actually have a legitimate chance. but like i said doesnt matter now lets move on xD

Mike2

Smash Ace
Yea I had Espy, Xyro, and Santi in my pool. Although kind of wish I was in a different one, I wouldn't have felt I earned making it into bracket if I got a ridiculously easy one.

Big Boss

Smash Journeyman
yeah, i had a moderate pool compared to most. i could have beaten pyledriver and suspect and have made it out of pools, but they outplayed me. i won't get anywhere by *****ing, so i just move on and work on my mistakes. i hope to at least get a game off of trela and andilex next time i play them in tourney. >:[

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
yeah i think overall i like the concept of pools. and like you said mike yeah it wouldnt have felt good if it was a pure easy pool either.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Guys, as someone who's gotten MU ***** in literally every single pool I've been a part of, take it from me: Use you not getting out of pools as motivation to make it out next time. If you got any matches recorded, watch the hell out of them.

Don't just focus on how much you failed, though. Remember what you did RIGHT. Successful athletes (Drew Brees comes to mind) always say the most powerful from of motivation is positive rather than negative.

I felt like dog dookie after my trash results at Pik-a-Nik, but I've seen my set with Nike about 10 times since then to remind myself of what I did right and why I love the Bowser-Marth MU, even though it can be rough for Bowser.

I've played you guys long enough to know you're not scrub players. You've all gotten a LOT better this semester alone, and I know you're capable of even more as you continue to improve. Drowning in pools isn't the end. It's the beginning to you learning how to doggy paddle.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm currently ranked 4639 on the Brawl rankings.

I swear I'm gonna destroy people when I get back. This is some bull.
BOWSER RAMPAGE?

Let's do a review of a few other players we know and love:

Ricky - 41
Big Boss - 197
Mustafa - 311
Paw - 492
Shaun - 585
Nick - 701
Joel - 857
Shaun again - 986
Shaun one more time - 1931
Mike2 - 4998 (!?)

Parts in red prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this list is in no way accurate.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Hey guys, I'm going to be in Austin for SXSW starting tomorrow, but my only housing options right now are my friends in Taylor. Since the job I'm working is in downtown Austin, can anybody host me for a few nights (until Tuesday at the latest) so I can save gas? Taylor to downtown Austin is pretty far (closer than SA at least lol), plus the van I have isn't all that reliable, so the less I have to drive the better.

I wouldn't be much of an intrusion, since the job I'll be working is 9 am to 10 pm every day.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god I forgot sxsw is coming up... Must shut myself inside and go out as little as possible to avoid crazies / traffic o.o;

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
at first i was like: :bee:

and then i was like: :glare:

naw, jk. it's true though.

btw, who's coming down this saturday?!
Hey, your name wasn't in red. :p
Look at the splash damage on that troll. Chris was way off when he said I was bad at this. X3

Ask Mike2 about Saturday.

Top Bottom