• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Apexchu Thread, 2012 Edition - Less than 2 weeks, get hype!!!

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
~This is roller btw~

Yo. Real talk. Apex was run horrrrrrribly. Like. HORRIBLY. I'll go more in depth later, but it was shown that

A) The seeding was garbage.
B) There were no setups available for friendlies... AT ALL. People had to wait hours to get games in... If they were lucky.
C) The 5 man pools top 2 get out is a horrible format that should not ever be used again. Ever. I saw many people, including myself lose just 1 set and get eliminated from the tournament. Stealth's pool had to be friggin replayed because of another 3 way tie. When you make pools which have 4th seeds beating 1st seeds... You should know you are a terrible judge of skill and should be banned from making any decisions more complicated than what shirt to wear on a given day.

But the TOing was ****.
During Brawl winners finals all the way up until grand finals DMBrandon and that other white guy on the stream kept saying that APEX was the best run event ever. In addition to being the largest Smash event ever as well (something it was without a doubt). They mostly started plugging themselves mentioning how great APEX was when they had nothing to comment on in between matches.

It's interesting to know that there was another side to APEX's grandness.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
i think dm and doom did the best they could have TO'ing. it was just that horrible HORRIBLE schedule and the lack of set ups.

i had a ton of MM's in mind but i couldn't get a damn TV until it was too late and my carpool wanted to leave.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
While it's not quite the same, a 4th seed in both my and Roller's pools got 2nd.
Same happened to my pool. I feel they should have at least had a bigger staff of people doing the seeding. I doubt diem and whoever helped was enough to gauge the skill level of 400 smashers.

And that's the second time you forgot to pay me Kenny. Go to an AA meeting your brain is fried. :glare:

Also salty for beating stealth in a MM and he just won it back by beating leaf and giving it to KayLo basically. You so had that Leaf, listen next time when I say stop up smashing that man's shield!

Cassio

Smash Master
The guy in rollers pool was actually the second seed. I saw that somewhere.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
i think dm and doom did the best they could have TO'ing. it was just that horrible HORRIBLE schedule and the lack of set ups.
I'm not saying they didn't try. When you put on an event like APEX you have to put in all the dedication that is humanly possible into the event. I'm just saying that selling it off to the people who weren't there as the best tournament ever is a low move.

Roller

Smash Legend
Truth in this post

what 1st seed lost to a 4th seed in 1st round pools?
While it's not quite the same, a 4th seed in both my and Roller's pools got 2nd.
Good randoms show up every now and then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD2cPpiOhLE

That was this guy's first tourney and I don't think he went to another one since. But were they known to be good?
Not the guy in Roller's pool, he was given 4th seed.
The guy in rollers pool was actually the second seed. I saw that somewhere.
In response to all of these. I was the 4th seed in my pool. The European Lucas was second, and he was one of the few euros that actually DESERVED that seed. Meanwhile, Kingtoon was 1st seed, Speed was 3rd, and slush and I were 4th/5th.

I beat everyone in my pool except for the Lucas and did not make it out.

@the running of APEX. They had promised MANY times that both games would have 12-20 setups devoted ONLY to friendlies, every single day. They assured us not to worry, and that there was no way it would not be the case.

...It was not the case.

No friendly setups at all on saturday, pikapika and I waited 8 HOURS to play a few games on Friday night. Sunday near the end of the day there were only short lines for setups, but other than that small window, everyone was boned. I talked to dozens (not exaggerating, it was virtually everyone except very top players who kept winning on setups in MMs) of people who did not even play 10 friendlies ALL WEEKEND.

Everyone was complaining and *****ing about it the entire time.

This especially annoyed me, because I had no time whatsoever to practice chaingrabs the entire time I was in NJ.

They also promised USA vs the world crews... In fact they really hyped them. Did not happen. Why? Because the event was poorly planned/TO'd. They were not prepared for an event of this scale at all.

This was not even exclusive to smash. I heard from several MvC players who told me about how they were forced to stay by the setups for hours non-stop because people kept getting DQ'd after only ~2 minutes if their match was called. I know of a few who got DQ'd because they were playing their brawl doubles matches...

The communication between event heads was subpar at best.

The seeding was simply left in the hands of the wrong people. Juice may have done the best they could. But come on. When was the last time Doom or DM left the east coast to play smash and see players in other regions?

There should have been a panel formed of 1-2 respected players from each region who collaboratively seeded, and then Juice or whoever could have randomized the pools, given those seeds.

I know some of the euro players got 0-8'd in their first round pools.

They should not have received 2nd seeds.

I did have a lot of fun there, meeting a lot of new people and friends I've known only online. And the partying at the hotel and whatnot was definitely fun. The food at the Grease Trucks was amazing as always. But the organization of the event was TERRIBLE.

Anyone who says otherwise is either on the apex payroll, someone who was exposed to the apparent stream propaganda (from people who were themselves staff members for apex), or ignorant to the reality of what was going on at the event.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Yeah prime lost to dpeach after he randomly got added to the pool. :( third game last hit. Z and esam are the only ones left.

Stealth and leaf doing their mm, stealth's up 3-0

#TEAMSTEALTH
I am now $5 richer. :) #teamstealth
I was gonna call you out on not saying it was close, but you did later.

It was close. Ggs to leaf, right down to the wire. Z was so mad it went to game seven. Esam has beaten rain and has fatal next. Z beat trela

:phone:
Why was Z mad?

There are bound to be some positive 'chus and negative Pikas. We are electric types after all.

~This is roller btw~

Yo. Real talk. Apex was run horrrrrrribly. Like. HORRIBLY. I'll go more in depth later, but it was shown that

B) There were no setups available for friendlies... AT ALL. People had to wait hours to get games in... If they were lucky.
C) The 5 man pools top 2 get out is a horrible format that should not ever be used again. Ever. I saw many people, including myself lose just 1 set and get eliminated from the tournament. Stealth's pool had to be friggin replayed because of another 3 way tie. When you make pools which have 4th seeds beating 1st seeds... You should know you are a terrible judge of skill and should be banned from making any decisions more complicated than what shirt to wear on a given day.

There were definitely amazing extracurricular activities. Shoutouts to the Philly room! lol

But the TOing was ****.
This stuff here.
I spent more time streetpassing on my 3DS than playing Brawl this weekend, no lie.

Shoutout to Phoenix Lord for doing work in Find Mii.

Making another big post tomorrow but I've had a terrible day today and need some rest.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I liked Apex

*was on the payroll if that includes prize money*

I never mind about playing friendlies since I rarely do them anyway since I want to stay in tournament mindsets (Although I wanted to MM Mr. R and never got a chance to).

They did the best they could under the circumstances they had. ~50 TVs total besides the ones that Local Battles brought for the FGC. They had ~400 entrants that they had to filter through in Brawl and then ~320 in Melee (I think) with minimal set-ups. That is ****ing amazing in my opinion.

USA vs World wasn't hyped at all...at least for the actual players. I know I left regardless of it was going to happen or not since I didn't care (nor do I really like crews to begin with)

Japan bodied the **** out of us.

Roller

Smash Legend
Sorry, by friendlies I meant to include MMs and friendlies.

And me vs Z never happened. He asked me after I had gotten less than sober the first night (and was almost thrown out for it along with half the other pikas), and told Z I would the next day. On saturday I called him out in front of most of the pikas, he said after some matches he wanted to see on the projector or some ****, then there were no available TVs, and so it never happened.

I wanted to tho. ;;

Next time..

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
This stuff here.
I spent more time streetpassing on my 3DS than playing Brawl this weekend, no lie.

Shoutout to Phoenix Lord for doing work in Find Mii.
This stuff here x2. I didn't play a single Brawl match until Saturday, all Friday was basically hanging with Leaf while streetpassing all day. Thanks to the lack of setups, I was able to get my Plaza Population to 95 and my Streetpass Tags to 390-something. I now only need 7 more purple Puzzle Swap pieces, and I was able complete Find Me II for the third time. On the other hand, I still suck at Brawl. :urg:

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
~This is roller btw~

There were definitely amazing extracurricular activities. Shoutouts to the Philly room! lol

But the TOing was ****.
all international players got at least second seed. i think it makes sense imo

y. y this font and color. just y

i had fun hanging out with the pikas @ apex. thanks for the free drinks n whatnot and making the tourney somewhat bearable.

prime i still have your name tag. my ride was in a rush and i couldn't find you to switch back in time. i guess you'll just have to return to east coast and get it back.

Luckay i forgot to give you your money. just remind me next time you see me.

also shout-outs to stealth and roller for dinner :cool:

-kenny
agreed. imagine trying to read that font on a phone where i cant select it all to read it -props to kaylo for showing me how to do it though :D-

I played friday.. i was playing on the wii tv. It was a tiny *** screen no one wanted to play on xD
best setup ever

major shoutouts to all the pikas :D it was an amazing time and it was a blast hanging out. i love all of you <333 (especiall kaylo <33333)

Nordal

Smash Lord
They did do the best under the circumstances they were under, and it was still *** no matter what way you cut it. The venue was way too small, they didn't warn us until the day before the event that the Hyatt only had HD tvs, and everything else has pretty much been covered.

I remember @l3x $tr!fe came onto the stage and guilt tripped the crowd into cheering when he asked if we were having a good time, and he had to ask like three times to get an appropriate cheer, lmao.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
You know what the worst thing was? The lack of a Pika dinner. You know what I had to eat all weekend? A total of 4 bags of Doritos (the red kind, yum). I now somehow blame Umbra because he was doing Melee stuff on Friday and he didn't even bother to get out of pools.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
I ate beef gyros all weekend. I love me some middle eastern food.
I, unfortunately, do not. The only good place in the venue was Wendy's, and they were closed practically all weekend. But that's fine, Doritos are a good enough substitute. I just wish that damn soda machine didn't break on Saturday, it ate three of my dollars. :c

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
I may be picky about food, but when i'm hungry, anything starts to taste good.
I'm the opposite, I'm a picky eater and I would rather starve than eat stuff I don't like. Which has never been a problem for me before, as even during this weekend the only reason I even ate the Doritos I ate was to pass time because I was bored and had more than enough money on me (since I couldn't use the singles I had brought for mms like I had wanted).

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
They did the best they could under the circumstances they had. ~50 TVs total besides the ones that Local Battles brought for the FGC. They had ~400 entrants that they had to filter through in Brawl and then ~320 in Melee (I think) with minimal set-ups. That is ****ing amazing in my opinion.
The bad circumstances were their fault tho, lol. You can't excuse them for poor planning, then praise them for doing okay-ish despite their complete lack of foresight.

What I heard re: the lack of setups from several of the event staff + some hearsay is that there were supposed to be ~50 more setups from VGBootcamp, but Alex/DM/whoever didn't wanna pay them what they were asking. Then VG said they could still get the setups for the lower price, but they had to pick them up themselves.... and the Apex people said **** that.

Dunno if that's 100% accurate, but regardless, agreed @everything Roller said. Apparently the tourney got blown up on Twitter/Shoryuken/other fighting game sites for being run terribly. Alex and DM seem to be getting the most **** on their reps for it. *shrug* I mean, Brawl got saved somewhat because of so much of the community being there, but UMvC3 and AE people who were there purely for the tourney were generally pissed from what I saw & heard.

--

Anyways. I had a ****ing blast, and for me, it was well worth the money spent. I went to meet people I'll probably never have a chance to see again and hang out with the players I already know & love, and that's exactly what I did. :)

[COLLAPSE="Putting my Pika shoutouts here since they'll get drowned out in the Apex thread:"]@Prime/Espy/Paw: You have no idea how great it was to finally meet you guys (Prime especially <333)! Y'all are so chill, and I wish we'd had more time to hang out outside of the venue. Honestly, you're the type of people I'd gravitate towards even if Brawl wasn't in the picture. I'm definitely visiting SA the next time I can get some days off from work.

Prime, I know you were disappointed with how you did, but I hope you enjoyed the other parts of the tourney regardless (read: the non-tourney parts lol). Next time we'll have less fun the night before so you can get more sleep. ;; Regardless, like I said, you beat the guy who beat M2K, so that ~automatically makes you best Pika. :p

@PP!/King: You two are my partners in crime at pretty much every major tourney, so you already know, lol. Had fun as always, especially (@King) the part where your brilliant idea for a drinking spot + my dumb *** listening to you almost got us kicked out. Also comforting to know there're always two Pikas who're bigger jerks than I am!

@Stealth: I wish you lived on the EC! You're always so fun to hang out with, and on top of that, you made me some money this weekend. XD #TeamStealth for life! Sucks what happened in your pool, but take it as a sign to join the cool kids in quitting this awful game. :colorful: For real tho, your Pika's pretty solid. Don't let Apex's terrible seeding get to you.

P.S. Stay in the popular hotel next time, not the one with mattresses hanging off the wall..... :urg: You made HoJo sound terrifying, lol.

@Roller: I don't know if you remember what you kept saying Sat night when we drank ("Shhh shhh shhh~"), but you had me dying, lmao. Sadface that I have to go back to disliking you now that we're on the internet again, but in person, you're ****ing awesome. & oooomg, you pass out like a 1,000-lb log.

@Kenny: You're another face I see all the time, so you know the deal. Hope me & Prime didn't permanently damage your arms. Speaking of that night, I've never seen someone SO DETERMINED to get into a room, lol. Next tourney, use more Pika.... and stop running from this Pika vs. Snake *** whoopin I keep promising you. :)

@Leaf/Strong Bad: I didn't talk to either of you nearly enough, but y'all are both really cool from the few convos we had.

Leaf, thank you for your terrible usmash-on-block habit. That $5 paid for my lunch today. <3 (Jk, that mm was very hype to watch, and your Pika's not bad at all. Once you get over rushing the kill, I think you'll do really well.) SB, I wish we'd managed to meet up Friday night like we planned, but it took forever for us to figure out what we were doing/where we were drinking. >< One dayyy~ oh, and we discussed this, but you're officially initiated!

@Umbra: Where were you this entire weekend?? Lol. Very nice to see you as always, but come hang out with us more next time! :mad:!

@Phoenix: First off, thanks again for driving us to the liquor store/hotel/etc. & tolerating hotel shenanigans. I think you're one of the few people who saw my for real *****y side come out this weekend with that whole hotel room tiff, haaa~ ;; Also, like I told you at the venue, your Pika really isn't as bad as you make it sound -- you should stop hating on your own skill!

Once I get my apartment, we're definitely hanging out more. I deeply love how you play people so hard on the low and they don't even realize, lol.

@Luckay: I feel like at every tourney, we almost talk enough, but not quite. :c You're cool as hell -- and also a complete jerk/****-talker, just like a true Pika, lol! Loves it. Hope you learned your lesson about betting on "legends" btw. =P Didn't get to see you play at all, but I heard you whooped *** in round 1 pools and mms. Good ****.

@Biggy: MY GOD, I MET BIGGY! <3 Sucks what they did to your round 1 pool, but it was great to see you pull it together and make it to second round with that focused rage, hehe. You're so laid back and awesome, and I'mma need you to visit us up here again sometime soon. :)

@ESAM: I raged so hard that I had to miss your last few sets, but what I did see was amazing as usual. You make so many matchups look so damn easy. ;; And even though I regularly give you **** for being a huge *******, it's always a pleasure when we do talk at tournies.

@Z: You were soooo nice, and I thought you were so chill 'til Logic mentioned I was a Pika player -- then you immediately started to be a ****, lmao. But for the little while that the nice guy act lasted, it was nice meeting you. =P Good stuff making it into bracket. Even though you went a lot of Fox. :glare: I saw a little bit of your Pika tho, and it's definitely impressive/fun to watch.

@Ron: You were ghost most of this tourney, but I'm glad you actually showed up and revived that old Brawl skill. And luckily, you live too close for us to not meet up again at some point. :reverse:

@Nordal: Man, it took forever to find your elusive ***, but I'm glad it finally happened -- was very nice meeting you! I wish I'd gotten to see more of your matches btw, because I heard you did well. That undercover Pika ****.

@Ussi: You betrayed us and hung out with the Ikes most of the time. :c But it was good seeing you as always. Also, I normally don't like beards, but after seeing it in person, I definitely think it suits you.

@Presea: Hi. I saw you around a lot, but once again, just like at Pound, we barely talked. >< This has got to stop happening, lol!
[/COLLAPSE]--

This was probably my last tourney, but if another big one comes along that's close by & expecting a lot of Pika attendance, I might go. We have the best character community by far in terms of cool *** people, and it's always fun hanging out with y'all. :)

Now. PICTURES!! Half are mine, half are from what Mink posted on FB. Personally, I looked a hot mess by day 3 lol. The humidity in those rooms actually sweated my hair out. x.x!

^ Phoenix does not approve, lol.

Aaaaaaaand our group picture! Epic mostly because we managed to get so many of us in it, lol. I honestly thought it was gonna be impossible.

Left to right by row: Luckay, Ron / Phoenix, Kyoshi, Biggy, Stealth / Umbra, me, Prime, Kenny, Strong Bad, Roller, Leaf, Nordal, Ussi / PikaPika!
Not pictured: ESAM (too busy actually having bracket matches), Z (ditto), Presea (couldn't find), Doll (was she even there?)

& Biggy, here's your Yoshi pics. I can send you the original, high res ones if you'd like:[COLLAPSE="Yo-Yo-Yoshi!"]

[/COLLAPSE]​

King~

Smash Champion
missed luckay who is behind me

good seeing/meeting everyone, like klo i dont plan on travelling much anymore but uhh if something big comes up maybe

i am expecting my lunch still btw

@PP: Klo in six years

M@v

Subarashii!
While we are on the topic of character pictures, fox mains (aka the ones you guys destroy with chain grabs) took a pic as well :)

left to right: Crifer(europe), Z, Trevonte, Zeton, Karamity(Japan/Front), Mav(back), NAKAT, Trump, and Jazz.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
Once I get my apartment, we're definitely hanging out more. I deeply love how you play people so hard on the low and they don't even realize, lol.
And like I said, I'd be more than happy to hang. :) Also, half the time I don't even realise when I'm doing it, by now I'm just an *** on instinct.

^ Phoenix does not approve, lol.
Oh wow, this is my new favourite Apex picture. What the hell am I doing, lol. I was probably just thinking of something stupid, like trying to decide which side of the room to walk to to recycle my soda bottle 'cause I'm lazy.

Nordal

Smash Lord
Kaylo you didn't find me, I found you. I saw a pretty black lady and took a smart guess that it was you.

No one finds me. I find them :evil:

Roller

Smash Legend
YOU IDIOT, YOU BROUGHT US TO A BAR CALLED LIQUORS!

I was dying.

Also. I vaguely remember what I was saying. The jist of it anyway. XD
and @me passing out like a log. Apparently when they were trying to leave this morning they were throwing **** at me and hitting me with stuff in an attempt to wake me. I didn't react at all until they finally had Atomsk walk up and punch me. That woke me up. XD

Top Bottom