• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Hello Isabelle supporters just passing by to congratulate all of you! I am so happy you got another AC rep and Game and specially one as cute as Isabelle! Way to go!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
OUR LITTLE PUPPY MADE THE CUT! AND SHE'S NOT A VILLAGER CLONE?!?! SAKURAI... THANK YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I'll be honest, I wasn't as hype for her reveal like I was King K. Rool or Ridley, but I expected that since... come on, it's A.C. one of Ninty's most chill franchises.

That being said, her reveal trailer was SO adorable! I'll also say this: I feel as though her reveal would have been just a TAD more... engaging(?) had she been revealed alongside another character, Echo or not.

BTW, I take it that Tom Nook is Smash Ultimate's new Chrom?:awesome: No offense to Tom Nook supporters as I'm a Tom Nook supporter myself.
I immediately thought of Chrom with the Tom Nook stuff. Maybe next time. :p
Drive-by congrats! Isabelle's been cameoing in so many things since New Leaf's release that she seemed to be a shoo-in, but her having a (mostly?) unique moveset is pretty surprising in its own right. She makes sense as a second AC rep and I enjoyed the characteristically pleasant reveal trailer. No one got killed this time!
Oh wow, I had no idea you had an account here! Brawl in the Family is still my favorite webcomic of all time. :bee:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I feel like a lot of the people hating on Isabelle are missing the point of Smash. She's definitely one of Nintendo's major characters now and makes perfect sense as a unique newcomer. I'm happy she's in, and it's great that they managed to find a way to bring out her personality even in a fighting game.

Inkling, Ridley, K. Rool, Isabelle...all of these newcomers are patching up the remaining holes in the "Nintendo all-stars" pantheon and I love it.

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
Isabelle was by far the most important Nintendo character not yet in Smash. Anyone saying she didn’t deserve this much are dead wrong imo.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Very glad to see Isabelle make it. Such a deserving addition, and she was made with such charm and spunk. Will definitely be playing her!

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Congrats everyone! I never posted in here but I was actually a supporter of Isabelle and I was very happy to see her receive her well deserved spot today, especially as a more unique character! I'm looking forward to fighting with her!

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Heyyy! She's in the game! We did it guys!

Now we wait for the Killabelle memes...

D

Deleted member

I'm just surprised that Isabelle's announcement was taken with so... varied reactions. Like, a lot of people claim that it doesn't make any sense, but she is essentially the current mascot for Animal Crossing. It's even more weird that they then go and get excited over the Animal Crossing GAME announcement, being all "that's more like it"?

I dunno, not the kind of situation I expected.

Anyway I am happy with this for two reasons. 1. Isabelle was my top hope as a character and it's a treat that she went even beyond the status of Echo. 2. We can finally get over those room decorations in Sakurai's office, cause this pretty much deconfirms that conspiracy.

I would say congrats, but that would imply that it wasn't my party to hold and boy I will hold that party.

The Nintendo Switch online program still sucks though.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I think the people most excited for Isabelle are Animal Crossing fans and not Smash fans. I doubt the majority of them saw this coming. She also looks so...out of place with everyone else, particularly with those who've been introduced this time around. She's just all 'DON'T HIT ME' and happy when she does good.

Does she deserve to be in Smash? ABSOLUTELY. It was just a matter of making a moveset for her that was true to her character.

But now she gets to wield Death's Scythe. Thanks Sakurai!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Now that the dust has settled, Isabelle has me a lot more pumped for her in Smash all of a sudden. I dunno how, but I might even consider getting Animal Crossing Switch just to see what she's like, or maybe the series will click the way that Stardew Valley didn't.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Congratulations Isabelle fans. I won't lie, I'm almost completely indifferent to her inclusion, but she certainly deserves her place in Smash. Pay no mind to the haters.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
It seems like the best word to describe the average reaction to Isabelle is "whelmed". I think it's a similar reaction to Villager's inclusion in Smash 4, but at least he had the whole killager meme backing him up. I guess it's more like Rosalina's reveal. She had her fans, people were happy, but let's be real, Isabelle and Rosalina ain't no Ridley or Mega Man.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
At first when I heard everyone talking about the idea of Isabelle I wasn't a fan of the idea of her being a character.
I slowly started to warm up to it thinking "well if she's just an echo I guess that wouldn't be so bad"

but then I thought of something "if she is her own character, it would probably be Pheonix Wright in MvC3 levels of hilarity. like this character logically doesn't make any sense as a fighter. but finding a weird way to make it work would be hilarious!"

so by the time she was revealed I was actually hyped to see it! she is adorable and I think she fits into the cast perfectly!

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I must say, out of the 20 possible characters I was suspecting, this secretary wasn't in the running for me.

But I'm glad to be incorrect, welcome to the roster Isabelle and congrats to all you fans and supporters.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
Congrats Isabelle fans. Isabelle was the most deserving character not in yet with how popular Animal Crossing has gotten and I feel like Nintendo including her in Mario Kart 8 was a sign that she was always going to be in Smash Bros. I like how they surprised most by giving her some unique moves and she's my 2nd most hyped newcomer of Ultimate only behind Inkling.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Well done Animal Crossing fans! We really lucked out last night. Isabelle and a new Animal Crossing? That is the best result! Now you may be subject to hater nature. A lot of people were gunning for Isaac, Geno and many others.

But you enjoy your day! You got the mascot of Animal Crossing finally in. And I must admit, it is very hard to not love Isabelle's inclusion.

Go Isabelle!

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Congrats, you guys. Her trailer may have been lackluster but she certainly isn’t! Glad you guys got your favorite.
This is how her trailer should have gone

They should have :ultbowser::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultmetaknight::ultwolf::ultmewtwo: :ultbayonetta:winning a battle against :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultpit:. Then when all hope seems lost, out of the sky, Isabelle comes down in a bolt of lighting and hits the ground like a meteor (similar to Thor's entrance in Infinity War), she jumps in the air and her eyes light up and pulls a golden hammer out of her pocket and blows all the villains away.

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
Great job.
Great. Fricking. Job.
While our edgy and recognizable characters like Shadow and Scorpion get left in the dust, YOU fools get to party in your underwear because a dog (which are far inferior to cats) that NOBODY knows about except for the very small minority who have played an Animal Crossing game got in.
You caused Sakurai to crush all of our hopes and dreams because you IDIOTS wanted a FLIPPING DOG in your fighting game.
And for that, I look down upon you. Your selfish desires have caused me pain, and I wish not to look in the eyes of one of you fools. I just wanted a new Subspace...
PPFFFFFTTTT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Congrats guys! I'm super excited Isabelle made it, even though I always figured she was one of the top contenders. Was starting to lean more towards her being an Echo, but glad to see her being more unique than that.

Now I understand why they wanted to make sure the Japanese audience has the means to see this Direct, as Isabelle is super popular out there.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'm really surprised she didn't get tagged as an echo. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised still.

I also love the little deviousness she had when considering taking over as mayor. She's got a little dark side now.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
For someone who wasn't Skull Kid or Bandana Dee (my most wanteds), Isabelle was probably the best character they could have revealed.

To me, she's a very assuring character, a lot of people acted like remaining characters was just ballot picks, like Sakurai was looking at popular picks who have been popular since Brawl and just ticking down a list, and that just doesn't interest.

Instead, it tells me he's choosing characters who are not only popular (not necessarily just on the ballot) but also characters who hold some sort of significance to their franchise, and are iconic to their franchise. Who come from current and popular franchises.

Also, like Skull Kid, she's a popular character who was an assist and had a Mii costume but probably did poorly in the Ballot due to preexisting roles. And still got a unique moveset

Basically she's a character who made sense to me, so much so I considered her the most likely newcomer after Inklings. (I actually noted in RTC that she could be either unique or echo)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Glad to see the best character in AC got in Smash. Pleasantly surprised that she wasn't an Echo after all.

Although, the hate she's been getting is completely undeserved.

For those of you who are mad that Isabelle is in Smash, why? Seemed like no one had a problem with her when Verge said she'd probably be an Echo. Now she's officially in, and some of you suddenly can't stomach her? It's your own fault for convincing yourself that she'd be a copy-and-paste Echo, and that the newcomer would definitely be Geno or Skull Kid because of some "hints" that may or may not exist. Now you're a little more worried that your character might not get in, so instead of buckling down on supporting your favorite character, it's easier to belittle the newcomers who might end up "stealing" their spot on the roster.

Being frustrated is understandable, but don't come marching over to this thread to vent when everyone else is trying to celebrate.

Now I understand why they wanted to make sure the Japanese audience has the means to see this Direct, as Isabelle is super popular out there.
I'm sure Isabelle put a smile on many people's faces. They really needed it after the rough week they had.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Congrats to you guys, but man was the reveal underwhelming, for both Isabelle in Smash and the new AC game. Kinda surprised she's not an echo but a clone! She was no huge bomb, but I appreciate that she's in Smash anyway.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
OUR LITTLE PUPPY MADE THE CUT! AND SHE'S NOT A VILLAGER CLONE?!?! SAKURAI... THANK YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I'll be honest, I wasn't as hype for her reveal like I was King K. Rool or Ridley, but I expected that since... come on, it's A.C. one of Ninty's most chill franchises.

That being said, her reveal trailer was SO adorable! I'll also say this: I feel as though her reveal would have been just a TAD more... engaging(?) had she been revealed alongside another character, Echo or not.

BTW, I take it that Tom Nook is Smash Ultimate's new Chrom?:awesome: No offense to Tom Nook supporters as I'm a Tom Nook supporter myself.
To be fair, he is already in both of Villager and Isabelle's final smashes.

Also, this is definite proof he can't build a single kind of building in Smash without it exploding now. What kinda material does he use anyway, nitroglycerin? :p

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Woo! Finally a character on my list made in. Also, a new Animal Crossing game FOR THE SWITCH?! YESSS! I knew Isabelle had too much love to be a full fledge echo (whether she was or not I'd still play as her), but it's thanks to this thread in the first place, that I'd change my mind from her being just an echo, to something more original.

So thanks to all the supporters/people in this thread for opening my eyes, and congrats everyone we did it, Isabelle is home. Thanks Sakurai:)
Glad to see the best character in AC got in Smash. Pleasantly surprised that she wasn't an Echo after all.

Although, the hate she's been getting is completely undeserved.

For those of you who are mad that Isabelle is in Smash, why? Seemed like no one had a problem with her when Verge said she'd probably be an Echo. Now she's officially in, and some of you suddenly can't stomach her? It's your own fault for convincing yourself that she'd be a copy-and-paste Echo, and that the newcomer would definitely be Geno or Skull Kid because of some "hints" that may or may not exist. Now you're a little more worried that your character might not get in, so instead of buckling down on supporting your favorite character, it's easier to belittle the newcomers who might end up "stealing" their spot on the roster.

Being frustrated is understandable, but don't come marching over to this thread to vent when everyone else is trying to celebrate.

I'm sure Isabelle put a smile on many people's faces. They really needed it after the rough week they had.
Yep after that rough week, who could still frown to an adorable pup like her.

Wait, I just woke up, are you telling me that Isabelle is getting hate? What? Why? I mean I can understand disliking her, or any character getting dislike, but full on hate from some people? Wow, I mean at the same time I'm not surprised, but guess I expected a better reception too. Still doesn't kill my hype for reveal obviously. Well now that Isabelle is in, guess I gotta buckle down even more to make sure one more dog makes it into Smash;)

Flamingbird

Smash Cadet
We can finally get over those room decorations in Sakurai's office, cause this pretty much deconfirms that conspiracy.
The room decorations @ e3 and the k. rool reveal tho. Plus I would think we still got another direct coming if we're getting more info about the unknown game mode as well.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
From what I've seen, it seems like people are more upset at her inclusion, like they think she's a waste of a newcomer slot, which obviously she's not :p It's just crazy how many people seem to not like her
She's not an icon. Like Geno.

Aha it was hard to say that with a straight face.

They don't like her because she doesn't conform to their preexisting expectations of the roster. Ridley and Rool have spoiled some people into believing that screaming really loud about their wanted characted magically makes them appear. They'll get over it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm thinking about getting New Leaf sometime this year. The next game might not have Isabelle with a central role anymore, being sort of a side-role similar to Mr. Resetti's retirement in NL. Hoping Nintendo shares more details about the sequel soon.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
She's not an icon. Like Geno.

Aha it was hard to say that with a straight face.

They don't like her because she doesn't conform to their preexisting expectations of the roster. Ridley and Rool have spoiled some people into believing that screaming really loud about their wanted characted magically makes them appear. They'll get over it.
So much truth.

Isabelle was not only a great addition in her own right, but making her unique was a nice wake up slap to the rest of the Smash fan base.

They're probably gone back to assuming every "high ballot" character is in haven't they?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm thinking about getting New Leaf sometime this year. The next game might not have Isabelle with a central role anymore, being sort of a side-role similar to Mr. Resetti's retirement in NL. Hoping Nintendo shares more details about the sequel soon.
Considering how popular Isabelle is I don't think she'll be on the sidelines anytime soon. That being said I'd still highly recommend NL.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't mind if the next Animal Crossing had Isabelle as the mayor and you as the secretary. Tho I dunno what real difference it would make.

Man, I can't wait for Smash even more now...

Top Bottom