• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

Xigger

Smash Lord
Well, in a situation they would more than likely get back anyway, you could fish for them. If timed right, you'd force them to either air dodge to their doom or take the grab. I can honestly see it being very dangerous if used right.
That's why I'm half-expecting it to not air-grab, instead being an aerial hit like Link's hookshot in the air. Otherwise, it might be VERY broken...

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
That's why I'm half-expecting it to not air-grab, instead being an aerial hit like Link's hookshot in the air. Otherwise, it might be VERY broken...
I do kinda hope that Sakurai will go over the new fighters we haven't seen too much detail with in the next Smash-focused direct.

Along with Isabelle, it would be cool to see more description on King K. Rool's set too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, in a situation they would more than likely get back anyway, you could fish for them. If timed right, you'd force them to either air dodge to their doom or take the grab. I can honestly see it being very dangerous if used right.
People will learn to air dodge properly.
Edge-guarding is more about knocking them while they're off the edge. If you miss the hook, you'll let them get back on stage, and if you get them, you only have them in a grab.
But It does have potential for something, we just got to explore :)

Actually it's more broken if it doesn't grab. I guess it depends on the knockback. But you're right we havent seen how it does in the air. But we saw it on someone in the water, and that's a weird place to grab :p

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I wonder if she can use the fishing rod to tether the ledge, ala Toon Link, Simon, etc.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
like Samus from Brawl and Sm4sh, right?? I think thats possible, since her fishing pole can reach to absurd lengths.
Yes. I was watching mewtwoking talk about her in a video and he thought her recovery was awful, or looked awful, so a tether recovery might do well for her.

Last edited:

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
People will learn to air dodge properly.
Edge-guarding is more about knocking them while they're off the edge. If you miss the hook, you'll let them get back on stage, and if you get them, you only have them in a grab.
But It does have potential for something, we just got to explore :)
Air dodging has such massive end lag that even experienced players have died early if they tried air dodging at around edge level.
And even then, getting forced to either die or get grabbed when you would otherwise make it back safely is still a lose-lose-situation.

I'm sure plenty of people can figure out how to air dodge without immediately plunging to their deaths, but they'd still end up leaving themselves open for long time.

But yeah, I like Xigger's idea of it being an aerial hit. Works well for a proper edge guard.
Personally, I hope the next Smash focused Direct gives her, K. Rool, and whatever newcomer is shown off some proper moveset spotlight.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Yes. I was watching mewtwoking talk about her in a video and he thought he recovery was awful, or looked awful, so a tether recovery might do well for her.
As much as I like Mew2King, the trailer doesn't do a good job at showing her recovery. It could act like Duck Hunts recovery since her ballons turn dark when used, or behave the same way as Villager. We don't really know how well her vertical recovery is.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Air dodging has such massive end lag that even experienced players have died early if they tried air dodging at around edge level.
And even then, getting forced to either die or get grabbed when you would otherwise make it back safely is still a lose-lose-situation.

I'm sure plenty of people can figure out how to air dodge without immediately plunging to their deaths, but they'd still end up leaving themselves open for long time.

But yeah, I like Xigger's idea of it being an aerial hit. Works well for a proper edge guard.
Personally, I hope the next Smash focused Direct gives her, K. Rool, and whatever newcomer is shown off some proper moveset spotlight.
Not regular air dodging. People aren't used to it yet, it's rare we see them use it in videos. it'll change once the game's out. And actually they've reduced the lag of it.
And you can't act fast from doing that side-b, most likely, so it doesn't really change much, besides in doubles maybe.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's something neat you might enjoy

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You know what I just realized? Isabelle is a bell. Her head looks like a bag of bells (the currency in AC), and her name sounds like the statement 'is a bell'

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Heres a little comparison of the assist model and her in game model(just ignore the mii costume lol)
Seems to be a new model or at least heavily touched up.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
You know what I just realized? Isabelle is a bell. Her head looks like a bag of bells (the currency in AC), and her name sounds like the statement 'is a bell'
Funnily enough, isabelline is also a pale greyish-yellow coat coloring that is found in many animal species. While Isabelle's coloring is a little more vibrant, one has to stop and wonder if it was just coincidence, haha.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
Heres a little comparison of the assist model and her in game model(just ignore the mii costume lol)
her bun and her bangs have gotten larger and fluffier

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
I never realized how truly terrifying her mii costume was.

TheFacelessOne

Smash Cadet
I'm super excited to have an adorable puppy mayor fight an evil space dragon. Congratz Isabelle fans.

JUNIT

Smash Rookie
NNID
JUNITO42
3DS FC
2981-9021-9040
EVEN IF ISABELLE IS BOTTOM TIER I WILL BE LOYAL TO THE BEST CHARACTER. Highly unlikely from what we've seen though. So far looking like a high tier tbh. Just depends on the moves we haven't seen...

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
This is the part where I congratulate you. Admittedly, I didn't think she would make it, but she certainly looks fun and interesting (Villager with kill options? what is this madness). As someone who has gotten K. Rool, Ridley, and Chrom and still is hoping for Isaac, I congratulate you on getting your character.

P.S.
I can never look at life the same way ever again.

D

Deleted member

Congradulations Isabelle fans well deserved, glad she's in.

hildabelle

Smash Rookie
This is my first post, and I probably won't be making many more, but I've been lurking Smashboards as a guest ever since Ultimate was first announced in March, largely with interest in the speculation scene, especially over Isabelle. I've rooted for characters in past Smashes, but never to the degree I did for Isabelle. I poured a lot of time into New Leaf, which was the most fun I've had with an Animal Crossing game since the GameCube version. And thanks to her prominent role and adorable characteristics, Isabelle eventually became my favorite character, first in Animal Crossing and over time in any media. She's a dear character that means a lot to me.

The instant we learned a new Smash was in the works, I knew who my #1 most wanted character was, but wasn't yet sure of her chances. At this point, she was the indisputable face of Animal Crossing and the only other recentish Nintendo character to attain Inkling-level superstardom, but I don't want to treat anything as a certainty until it happens, and couldn't discount the possibility Sakurai felt Villager was plenty for Animal Crossing representation. With no sign of her Assist and the announcement of Echo Fighters, E3 gave me cautious optimism she had hopes of being playable. I felt that, while her prominence meant she deserved a standalone slot, the fact she could be an Echo made it her most likely route into Smash. And I'll take what I can get.

I searched for "Isabelle" rather often on here, to see how others were reckoning her likelihood of joining Smash. Despite her having a few people who were very bullish on her chances, she was overall rather underdiscussed, understandably so as she admittedly represents a different sphere of Nintendo from those who are Smash diehards. It wasn't until the Vergeben mention of her that she became subject to considerable discussion (though her specific thread stayed rather low-key - it was only on page 11 when she got confirmed!). Time went by, and the August Direct further bolstered my hopes of her chances, with her surviving Assist massacre round two and Kapp'n possibly replacing her as an Animal Crossing Assist (and the Direct was quite satisfying for me overall, as Rool was my most wanted back in the 4 days and was also my Ballot vote).

Now, while I was confident she would be playable at this point, I was also so certain she was an Echo that I assumed that yesterday's Direct was unlikely to reveal her (only full newcomers have gotten standalone trailers). My only hope was if they announced a new Animal Crossing and announced an Isabelle Echo at the end (which I considered my fantasy Isabelle reveal). But I assumed that wasn't going to happen after the Direct started talking Smash, and braced myself for a newcomer I'd probably be lukewarm about. I was dead wrong and got my dream reveal, only in reverse with a standalone Isabelle! Just seeing Isabelle got me excited. I knew this had to be her time to Smash, but in the back of my mind still wasn't treating anything as certain until she revealed her letter's contents. I was ever so giddy and ecstatic knowing my most wanted made the cut, how adorable she was in action, and knowing Sakurai went the extra mile to give her a full slot befitting of an all-star. I was hyped over the new Animal Crossing announcement too, but for me the Isabelle reveal stole the show. Looking at it objectively, her trailer pales in comparison to the others. That's inevitable since the trailers have been loyal to their characters' personalities - Ridley's was brutal, Rool's (still the best trailer, I feel) was a blend of goofy and badass - Isabelle pretty much had to be revealed in a lighthearted, easygoing manner. But for me, as far as first-time reactions go, the excitement I felt over hers is unbeatable.

By mere virtue of being Miss Animal Crossing, she had already secured her spot in the pantheon of Nintendo A-listers. But for me, there's no enshrining of a Nintendo character's all-star status more exciting than that of a roster spot in Smash. Stoked to be able to play as her this December.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Since I've seen so many people mention how precious and cute Isabelle is, I just thought I'd pop in and remind everybody that, if we're only starting with the original 12 characters, chances are good that we necessarily have to beat up Isabelle in order to play as her.

Also, shouldn't the title of the thread be changed from Discussion to social? Since the buzz on Isabelle wasn't huge, I assume it's gone unchanged since before her support thread likely didn't have a vested dedicated owner to jump right on that as soon as she was revealed. Luminario Luminario , can you please change the thread to a social thread? Also, probably optional but I think most social threads get a cute nickname like it's a place, since they go from the speculation thread for a character to the sole thread for discussing said character. Any suggestions? Maybe something like "Town Hall: Isabelle Social Thread" or something like that?

Luminario

Smash Lord
Since I've seen so many people mention how precious and cute Isabelle is, I just thought I'd pop in and remind everybody that, if we're only starting with the original 12 characters, chances are good that we necessarily have to beat up Isabelle in order to play as her.

Also, shouldn't the title of the thread be changed from Discussion to social? Since the buzz on Isabelle wasn't huge, I assume it's gone unchanged since before her support thread likely didn't have a vested dedicated owner to jump right on that as soon as she was revealed. Luminario Luminario , can you please change the thread to a social thread? Also, probably optional but I think most social threads get a cute nickname like it's a place, since they go from the speculation thread for a character to the sole thread for discussing said character. Any suggestions? Maybe something like "Town Hall: Isabelle Social Thread" or something like that?
I actually changed the ending of the title from "Isabelle for Smash Switch!" to what it is now yesterday :laugh: I thought 'discussion' would suit more than the previous one since this would be the general thread to discuss her here, but I can definitely change the title if you lot want.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I actually changed the ending of the title from "Isabelle for Smash Switch!" to what it is now yesterday :laugh: I thought 'discussion' would suit more than the previous one since this would be the general thread to discuss her here, but I can definitely change the title if you lot want.
I didn't realize it was already changed. It's your call really. On that note, sorry for somewhat accusing a lax attitude regarding the threads owner (being you), even if there was no ill intent there. Guess it was just my assumption the thread's title hadn't been changed. My bad.

Last edited:

TooterDoo

Smash Rookie
I'm super stoked for Isabelle! I thought at best, she would be an echo of Villager if anything, but the double whammy of her being a unique character and an Animal Crossing reveal almost made me tear up. I can't wait to play her alongside the rest of the enormous roster.

The Hat Trick

Smash Rookie
I'm super stoked for Isabelle! I thought at best, she would be an echo of Villager if anything, but the double whammy of her being a unique character and an Animal Crossing reveal almost made me tear up. I can't wait to play her alongside the rest of the enormous roster.
The AC 2019 reveal truly was the icing on the cake. I get the chills thinking about it,

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
This is my first post, and I probably won't be making many more, but I've been lurking Smashboards as a guest ever since Ultimate was first announced in March, largely with interest in the speculation scene, especially over Isabelle. I've rooted for characters in past Smashes, but never to the degree I did for Isabelle. I poured a lot of time into New Leaf, which was the most fun I've had with an Animal Crossing game since the GameCube version. And thanks to her prominent role and adorable characteristics, Isabelle eventually became my favorite character, first in Animal Crossing and over time in any media. She's a dear character that means a lot to me.

The instant we learned a new Smash was in the works, I knew who my #1 most wanted character was, but wasn't yet sure of her chances. At this point, she was the indisputable face of Animal Crossing and the only other recentish Nintendo character to attain Inkling-level superstardom, but I don't want to treat anything as a certainty until it happens, and couldn't discount the possibility Sakurai felt Villager was plenty for Animal Crossing representation. With no sign of her Assist and the announcement of Echo Fighters, E3 gave me cautious optimism she had hopes of being playable. I felt that, while her prominence meant she deserved a standalone slot, the fact she could be an Echo made it her most likely route into Smash. And I'll take what I can get.

I searched for "Isabelle" rather often on here, to see how others were reckoning her likelihood of joining Smash. Despite her having a few people who were very bullish on her chances, she was overall rather underdiscussed, understandably so as she admittedly represents a different sphere of Nintendo from those who are Smash diehards. It wasn't until the Vergeben mention of her that she became subject to considerable discussion (though her specific thread stayed rather low-key - it was only on page 11 when she got confirmed!). Time went by, and the August Direct further bolstered my hopes of her chances, with her surviving Assist massacre round two and Kapp'n possibly replacing her as an Animal Crossing Assist (and the Direct was quite satisfying for me overall, as Rool was my most wanted back in the 4 days and was also my Ballot vote).

Now, while I was confident she would be playable at this point, I was also so certain she was an Echo that I assumed that yesterday's Direct was unlikely to reveal her (only full newcomers have gotten standalone trailers). My only hope was if they announced a new Animal Crossing and announced an Isabelle Echo at the end (which I considered my fantasy Isabelle reveal). But I assumed that wasn't going to happen after the Direct started talking Smash, and braced myself for a newcomer I'd probably be lukewarm about. I was dead wrong and got my dream reveal, only in reverse with a standalone Isabelle! Just seeing Isabelle got me excited. I knew this had to be her time to Smash, but in the back of my mind still wasn't treating anything as certain until she revealed her letter's contents. I was ever so giddy and ecstatic knowing my most wanted made the cut, how adorable she was in action, and knowing Sakurai went the extra mile to give her a full slot befitting of an all-star. I was hyped over the new Animal Crossing announcement too, but for me the Isabelle reveal stole the show. Looking at it objectively, her trailer pales in comparison to the others. That's inevitable since the trailers have been loyal to their characters' personalities - Ridley's was brutal, Rool's (still the best trailer, I feel) was a blend of goofy and badass - Isabelle pretty much had to be revealed in a lighthearted, easygoing manner. But for me, as far as first-time reactions go, the excitement I felt over hers is unbeatable.

By mere virtue of being Miss Animal Crossing, she had already secured her spot in the pantheon of Nintendo A-listers. But for me, there's no enshrining of a Nintendo character's all-star status more exciting than that of a roster spot in Smash. Stoked to be able to play as her this December.

That was beautiful...

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
EVEN IF ISABELLE IS BOTTOM TIER I WILL BE LOYAL TO THE BEST CHARACTER. Highly unlikely from what we've seen though. So far looking like a high tier tbh. Just depends on the moves we haven't seen...
If her fishing pole can grab fighters midair, she'll be high-tier, no questions asked.

If not, then she'll probably be close to Villager. She has the same OP recovery and a better version of Lloid Rocket, but lacks Timber and the axe.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If her fishing pole can grab fighters midair, she'll be high-tier, no questions asked.

If not, then she'll probably be close to Villager. She has the same OP recovery and a better version of Lloid Rocket, but lacks Timber and the axe.
Are we sure about that recovery? We've never seen her freely control her vertical movement, instead always constantly rising.

Top Bottom