• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
The blog confirmed that the fishing pole can be used as a tether recovery.
I feel like most people were pretty sure it would be, but it's still nice to have 100% confirmation.
Damn. Isabelle confirmed to be pretty good?

Also, just curious: What do we think Isabelle will look like when she's hit? What will her animations and facial expressions be when she's getting the bells knocked out of her? Will she have her shocked little dot eyes? Maybe her embarrassed expression with those three lines symbolizing eyes being closed tightly (kind of hard to explain, but I hope you know what I mean.)?

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Damn. Isabelle confirmed to be pretty good?

Also, just curious: What do we think Isabelle will look like when she's hit? What will her animations and facial expressions be when she's getting the bells knocked out of her? Will she have her shocked little dot eyes? Maybe her embarrassed expression with those three lines symbolizing eyes being closed tightly (kind of hard to explain, but I hope you know what I mean.)?
She won't have one, Sakurai programmed it so you can't hit her because she's too cute.
FR though, I think the dot eyes are a safe bet.

Last edited:

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
it's such good news to hear the fishing pole can in fact be used as a recovery. the fishing pole could actually be hard to stop when trying to recover since they might get hit by the fishing lure, bringing them to you off stage, which would be a hilarious way to maybe get a KO while you're trying to recover.

as for what she'll look like when she is hit, I imagine either of these expressions would work. the left one more so.
1537171435594.png

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
So far as I know, the video is fan edited, but the art and placement is real. You can see it on the Smash Bros. Ultimate site. Personally, I was a little disappointed the Direct didn't give us the banner update showing where Isabelle is like this fan did for this video.
It's not fan edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
So when are they gonna add the stock icon so I can show the world who I'm gonna main?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The blog confirmed that the fishing pole can be used as a tether recovery.
I feel like most people were pretty sure it would be, but it's still nice to have 100% confirmation.
Just came in here to talk about that. So it's by far the longest command grab in the game AND probably the longest tether grab in Smash history too. Jesus, Isabelle is shaping up to be a beast with that and the Lloid traps.

Can someone explain the Yoshi tax fraud thing to me?
It's a spin off meme. The meme it came from was "there's no such thing as a bad Kirby game" which spurred stupid mock ups like "Kirby Mows the Lawn" and "Kirby Does His Taxes" to insinuate that people would play these too. Based on that last one, the Yoshi one sprung up.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
So when are they gonna add the stock icon so I can show the world who I'm gonna main?
The icon's on the website if you sort the characters by series, so it is accessible.

I guess the Smashboards mods are still asleep.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Would it suck if Isabelle actually became the hotly contested OP character of this game? I've seen a lot of character threads where fans say they wouldn't mind their character being good (though they'll still play them even if they're bad), but they wouldn't want there character being the next Brawl Meta Knight or Smash 4 Bayo, since they'd worry people will grow to resent the character they like so much, or judge them for playing them. Would it be a bummer if everyone was repping Isabelle's at EVO and the like?

Bear in mind I'm not suggesting that we know enough about Isabelle to imply she could be at this level; I'm just positing a hypothetical.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Would it suck if Isabelle actually became the hotly contested OP character of this game? I've seen a lot of character threads where fans say they wouldn't mind their character being good (though they'll still play them even if they're bad), but they wouldn't want there character being the next Brawl Meta Knight or Smash 4 Bayo, since they'd worry people will grow to resent the character they like so much, or judge them for playing them. Would it be a bummer if everyone was repping Isabelle's at EVO and the like?

Bear in mind I'm not suggesting that we know enough about Isabelle to imply she could be at this level; I'm just positing a hypothetical.
I know what you mean, and I'm honestly hoping Isabelle isn't top tier. I'm gonna main Isabelle because I love her character/games and she looks fun. I don't want people to assume that I'm some sort of tier hog or something. If EVO is packed with nothing but Isabelle's in the top 8, I feel that will hurt the uniqueness of her.

I think Syndrome said it best:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I know what you mean, and I'm honestly hoping Isabelle isn't top tier. I'm gonna main Isabelle because I love her character/games and she looks fun. I don't want people to assume that I'm some sort of tier hog or something. If EVO is packed with nothing but Isabelle's in the top 8, I feel that will hurt the uniqueness of her.

I think Syndrome said it best:
And the next few characters to reveal would be the Incredibles family as separate characters, with Jack-Jack as an Assist Trophy (imagine getting his AT and he turns into multiple Jack-Jacks that swarms the stage, Excitebike-style!)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
it's such good news to hear the fishing pole can in fact be used as a recovery. the fishing pole could actually be hard to stop when trying to recover since they might get hit by the fishing lure, bringing them to you off stage, which would be a hilarious way to maybe get a KO while you're trying to recover.

as for what she'll look like when she is hit, I imagine either of these expressions would work. the left one more so.
View attachment 164910
Could "Isabelle-cide" become a thing?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I kinda like that one fan art of Fox, Falco and Wolf vying for her attention, while Villager is ready to practically murder the three of them to get them away from her.
The fan art in that thread is actually pretty tame. It's the posts themselves where things start to get insane. Case in point...

755C701A-7D4E-4206-87B0-77BDB70BFF79.jpeg

Ahahahahahaha what the actual f**k?!?!?!? :eek:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The fan art in that thread is actually pretty tame. It's the posts themselves where things start to get insane. Case in point...

View attachment 164974

Ahahahahahaha what the actual f**k?!?!?!?:eek:
As it was said on the thread, that board has gone to the dogs.

Also, Duran Duran's Hungry Like The Wolf is airing on the radio right now. Of all the things to happen coincidentally... :laugh:

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Yeah, that is really disturbing. I definitely don't like that because I'm not the kind of human trash who found myself into that ship when Isabelle was revealed.

*EDIT* to be clear since you reposted while I was typing, I mean the art, not... that. yeah no.
You mean the disturbing **** fantasies, or the in-depth discussion of biochemical barriers which followed it?

My life was a lot better before I made the mistake of reading through that forum.
Oh, yeah. Now it's moved on to "Zero Suit Fox", which is...

Dear Lord. :c

As it was said on the thread, that board has gone to the dogs.

Also, Duran Duran's Hungry Like The Wolf is airing on the radio right now. Of all the things to happen coincidentally... :laugh:
That song is truly fitting for this madcap mess...

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Oh, yeah. Now it's moved on to "Zero Suit Fox", which is...

[Why have you done this to me]

Dear Lord. :c
I'm pretty sure they were already talking about that when I made the mistake of dropping by. I decided to avoid any visuals involved, but ... there's one of 'em.

*ahem* Anyway, Isabelle.

I'm really psyched about that fishing pole move. I already intended to see how I liked Isabelle and possibly make her a main, but with how many uses that move seems to have, she seems like an even more awesome character.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
You mean the disturbing **** fantasies, or the in-depth discussion of biochemical barriers which followed it?
Uh, either? Although that's not entirely true. I actually found the biochemical discussion fascinating. What can I say? It was removed from the main topic and I enjoy scientific knowledge. Also, it was the other guy who brought up *that*. Nobody was talking about that before the one guy who accused OP of implying that. As I said, I kind of enjoy the premise because I'm total trash, but not the steaming garbage fire that resulted in the continuation of that thread. (I feel obligated to clarify that I mean I enjoy the premise of the ship, not the screwed up baggage the one user accused OP of suggesting.)

To be fair, I've always kind of headcannoned Smash as an alternate universe more or less, to explain how all these characters could meet and interact, but I imagine it independent from the canon universes of each respective series.

*Final edit* We should probably move on from this topic anyhow. These are supposed to be SFW boards, yes? Not sure if there's an age to use rule, but I don't seen anything improper for young people very often on the boards and I assume there's good reason for that. Doesn't help someone did post an iffy gif. As I said, we should move on from this topic.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Can Lottie work as an Isabelle alt costume similar to Olimar-Alph? Even is Isabelle speaks, Lottie's speech isn't much difference

Fane

Smash Journeyman
I'd laugh if Isabelle somehow became more broken than Bayonetta was in Wii U/3DS.

Can you imagine? The character that can beat everyone else. Not the death space dragon, not the vampire killer, not the umbra witch...

The cute little assistant pup

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'd laugh if Isabelle somehow became more broken than Bayonetta was in Wii U/3DS.

Can you imagine? The character that can beat everyone else. Not the death space dragon, not the vampire killer, not the umbra witch...

I mean, I'd be kind of bummed because my love for the character would almost be seen as cheating.

That being said, it'd be hilarious. The character who seems the most out of place is the one who dominates every match she takes part in, haha.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Can Lottie work as an Isabelle alt costume similar to Olimar-Alph? Even is Isabelle speaks, Lottie's speech isn't much difference
I think Lottie would work very well as an alt costume, all of Isabelle’s animations would work for her (such as holding her dress down while in special falling).

Although Lottie seems to be a tad bit wider than Isabelle, it’s negligible enough that it wouldn’t matter and the voice lines of Animal Crossing babbling can be easily changed if they wanted to but honestly I don’t think anybody would care if they weren’t since it sounds close enough.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

What makes this even funnier? I thought that there could be an edit of the "challenge accepted" meme, but with Sakurai going "does the character not look able to even fight at all? Challenge accepted".

In all seriousness, this is a series from a man who made a pink blob thing that can literally kill nightmares, sink airships and cripple a freaking moon, so...:ultkirby:

Last edited:

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
What makes this even funnier? I thought that there could be an edit of the "challenge accepted" meme, but with Sakurai going "does the character not look able to even fight at all? Challenge accepted".

In all seriousness, this is a series from a man who made a pink blob thing that can literally kill nightmares, sink airships and cripple a freaking moon, so...:ultkirby:
Smash lets you say the funniest things.

Isabelle used a killing edge to KO Sonic in Midgar.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I guess it really depends on what Isabelle's other aerials are because Nair looks stupid good, basically acting like a combination of Villager and Ness's, formidable as a get-off-me move, seemingly safe on shield, a combo starter, and even a freakin' option to jab lock. If the Lloyds can be activated instead of being automatic, they'll be downright OP because that gives Isabelle a goofy amount of stage control plus it makes for ledge trap scenarios just slightly less devestating than Villager's tree. This, of course, doesn't consider how the fishing pole is currently the best command grab in the game bar none and probably the longest tether grab too, meaning Isabelle might wind up as hard to gimp and edgeguard as ZSS. There's a side of me that thinks they did this on purpose and wanted Isabelle to be a joke character to the opposite typical effect: instead of being god awful, being controller throwing good despite literally being described as "a puppy."

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
There's a side of me that thinks they did this on purpose and wanted Isabelle to be a joke character to the opposite typical effect: instead of being god awful, being controller throwing good despite literally being described as "a puppy."
I don't know about that, but as an aspiring game dev, that does somewhat speak to a philosophy I have. When considering the design of a multi character or fighting game, I've thought for awhile now that a joke character doesn't have to be bad. Ideally every character should be usable. Now of course with varying kits, skills, attacks, gimmicks, and abilities, some characters will always invariably be better than others, but for me a joke character can still be funny on account of being absurd or unexpected without part of the joke being "it's funny because they wouldn't be fighting so they have to suck at fighting! Get it?". If anything, one could argue it would be funnier to see a gag character fight a hardened battle ready warrior competently with an outrageous kit than getting stomped in the name of realism to no one's surprise, and thus having a character that practically no one will use if they value a decent chance at winning. Now of course the inverse would be making a gag character too good, which I also wouldn't want to do. The ideal balance for me would be on par with everyone else, not accounting for characters being better based on how players use or manipulate the character's overall tools for their playstyle.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'm watching a video about D&D right now. Interesting question: If Isabelle was an archetypal high fantasy game class, what do you think she would be? Cleric maybe? Paladin? White mage? Druid? Bard?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly, I feel as if Isabelle has sort of become what I expected her to be: Smash's answer to Marvel vs. Capcom's Roll.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Honestly, I feel as if Isabelle has sort of become what I expected her to be: Smash's answer to Marvel vs. Capcom's Roll.
Roll was mainly what you'd call Mega Man's "Echo" in Mahvel in Smash-standards, hahhah. But I kind of agree. Though Isabelle's more unique, of course.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
I'm watching a video about D&D right now. Interesting question: If Isabelle was an archetypal high fantasy game class, what do you think she would be? Cleric maybe? Paladin? White mage? Druid? Bard?
I would say cleric, paladin, or a very wholesome bard. Maybe even a wizard.

She certainly has charisma for days, and she seems to have some good intelligence. I'm not quite sure about wisdom though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Roll was mainly what you'd call Mega Man's "Echo" in Mahvel in Smash-standards, hahhah. But I kind of agree. Though Isabelle's more unique, of course.
Both of them even have brooms, and unlike Roll's, Isabelle's isn't a modern one.

Top Bottom