• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

PrincessToadstool

Smash Cadet
I'm so happy she made it! I was telling my friends a lot prior to her reveal that I had a feeling she was going to get in as her own slot and not an echo, and I'm glad I was right! I felt like there were still some assets that could have been used from AC (like the fishing pole), but also I felt like there were things Villager used like the axe which I didn't want her to use. She looks like she's going to be so much fun to play as! Her Nair with the pom poms is so cute, and I love her do-not-enter sign attack LOL!

And the only time I played as a mii fighter was when I used my one mii fighter that wore Isabelle's outfit so it's a joy that this time it's for real!

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'll take that as a "yes". She looks like a semi-clone of villager, sort of like Ness and Lucas. I'm not an Animal Crossing fan but congrats to those who are.

Luminario

Smash Lord
So what do you lot think Isabelle will use for her attacks not shown in the trailers, assuming they're not just copied from Villager? So far we haven't seen any aerial apart from nair, any grab besides back throw, down tilt, and either forward tilt or jab depending on what the toy hammer is for. Here's a few of my guesses.
Jab: Holds out a pinwheel that spins rapidly for a flurry.
Ftilt: I'm thinking this is the toy hammer.
Dtilt: Uses the broom as an actual broom and brushes along the ground with it.
Uair: Opens an umbrella above and twirls it for a multihit attack.
Dair: Descends quickly with the umbrella facing downwards. Like Parasol Kirby's down attack from the Kirby games.
Fair and Bair: swishes the clipboard through the air.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Page has been suspended. What was on it?
That Sakurai felt like they were blowing through their reveals too fast and now they're gonna slow down the Smash news from now on.

EDIT: Also that Isabelle couldn't have been made an echo as her body proportions were too different from Villager's, and that Echo Fighters must have a identical body to their originals.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
That Sakurai felt like they were blowing through their reveals too fast and now they're gonna slow down the Smash news from now on.

EDIT: Also that Isabelle couldn't have been made an echo as her body proportions were too different from Villager's, and that Echo Fighters must have a identical body to their originals.
How much slower can it get with three months till launch? Granted I suppose it depends on what's left to reveal, but still. Interesting note on Isabelle, though kind of an odd one to me imo. Not that I'd want to see her an echo or anything, but I would imagine an Animal Crossing character would be easier to shrink/alter to match proportions similar to Villager, given how animals in Animal Crossing are very closely the same size as the villager of the respective game. If he made a note like that on, say, a fire emblem character or a Street Fighter character (hypothetically.), it would make more sense to me since those series have a more realistic design to character, invariably creating subtle differences in size, muscular structure, etc.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
How much slower can it get with three months till launch? Granted I suppose it depends on what's left to reveal, but still. Interesting note on Isabelle, though kind of an odd one to me imo. Not that I'd want to see her an echo or anything, but I would imagine an Animal Crossing character would be easier to shrink/alter to match proportions similar to Villager, given how animals in Animal Crossing are very closely the same size as the villager of the respective game. If he made a note like that on, say, a fire emblem character or a Street Fighter character (hypothetically.), it would make more sense to me since those series have a more realistic design to character, invariably creating subtle differences in size, muscular structure, etc.
Villager still has the old proportions from City Folks, while Isabelle debuted in New Leaf with the new taller look, she never had the old one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
TheBourgyman has delivered with his own tribute to Isabelle, and has enjoyed the Direct itself as well.

nintendo_direct_2018_09_13_by_thebourgyman-dcmsx3d.jpg

Two months and a week, rather. Maybe the next reveal will be in the middle of October, I dunno.

Edit: Latest Sakurai interview about the news delay and Isabelle repost from the Kat & Ana thread:

Apologies for my absence last week. The earthquake in eastern Iburi, Hokkaido put a hold on the Nintendo Direct, as we could no longer use the original draft we had prepared.

Right, in any case… Isabelle “turns over a new leaf” in Smash Bros. Ultimate!! More than anything, you can really get a feel for how cute Isabelle’s move set is by watching the reveal trailer, don’t you think? After all, it really is a world that’s defined by “movement.”

… However, it’d be incorrect to say that we’re going to keep releasing information on new fighters until the game’s release. Up until now we’ve been revealing characters one after another a bit too quickly, so we’re going to show some restraint from this point on!

You might notice that in Smash Bros. Ultimate, Isabelle is lacking in any honorifics or titles like “Ms.” It’s the same for other characters, too: Bowser and Dedede aren’t referred to as “King” and Peach and Zelda likewise aren’t referred to as “Princess.” As a rule, we try to only use the fighters’ names themselves. Of course, you’re free to call her “Ms. Isabelle” if you like; I’d call her just “Isabelle,” though.

While Isabelle as a fighter is based on Villager, the items that she can use are different. For instance, she can ride on a swing carried by balloons as opposed to Villager’s Balloon Trip move. That being said, she is by no means an Echo Fighter for Villager.

At the core of the matter, Isabelle and Villager differ greatly in terms of both their physiques and the characters’ natures. To that end, we couldn’t make Isabelle an echo fighter. The way they move is also different – there isn’t a single shared movement.

Isabelle first appeared in the 2012 title (2013 overseas) Animal Crossing: New Leaf; in that game, all of the characters’ proportions – including the mayor – had been tweaked slightly to be a bit slimmer. In Smash Bros. Ultimate, Isabelle’s model is based on that appearance, whereas Villager is a bit shorter and stouter.

When we were considering Villager for Smash 4, there was some discussion as to whether or not we should go with the “slimmer” design from New Leaf. We ended up going in the opposite direction, to make the character feel like it had “substance.” There were two reasons for that, the first being that – more so than a character like Mario – if we changed Villager’s proportions it wouldn’t capture the character’s “personality.” The other reason being that since the Animal Crossing games play from a top-down perspective, the characters’ bodies appear shorter than they actually are.

Actually, per the original development team’s request, we made the bottom of Villager’s head a bit wider than it was in Smash 4. Each game has a certain “design” that suits it, so to be frank, I didn’t really want to do it… But somehow or other it made its way into this game.

Through and through, Smash Bros. Ultimate is a strange game. Utterly chaotic. What we wanted to do with the stages and characters we were working on could change in a matter of minutes. Make cool things cooler, and cute things cuter! Even so, we’ve been doing our very best to make sure things don’t feel out of place between those two elements. At the same time though, it really keeps things from getting boring! The team’s skills and their specific abilities allow us to pursue a certain “range” of things – there isn’t a job with as much variety as we have!

What exactly is “cool?” And what does “cute” mean, for that matter? I can’t explain it concretely, but there’s a lot of know-how involving both tangible and intangible elements. I feel like you have to consume a lot of different kinds of works for that knowledge to be useful. In the case of Smash Bros.’ characters, a lot of them come from older games. Yet, if you follow an older work too closely, you wind up not being able to make something suitable for the present. It’s important to know what elements to bring back, what to create, and how to balance those two aspects so as not to be overwhelmed by them. It’s indispensable, in fact.

Even though this game is a hodgepodge of a lot of different things, we did our best to make it so that it can stand on its own as a contemporary game while still maintaining a sense of unity. We just have a little more to go until it’s done… as planned!.

Translation by provided by Nico Thaxton on behalf of Nintendo Everything

Last edited:

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Is there any particular reason why this forum is unavailable to guests? I've been wanting to see the reactions in this thread for weeks, but it's unavailable to the general public. Had to make an account just for that.

In any case, congratulations to Isabelle fans! A character getting into Smash is a dream come true.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Is there any particular reason why this forum is unavailable to guests? I've been wanting to see the reactions in this thread for weeks, but it's unavailable to the general public. Had to make an account just for that.

In any case, congratulations to Isabelle fans! A character getting into Smash is a dream come true.
Huh, I didn't know it wasn't open to guests. I wonder if that's why the Isabelle board seems so small when compared to Inklings, Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon/Richter. I've also wondered why we don't have a social tag yet, even if the threads title isn't labeled as a social.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

If that's true then that's most likely a mistake.

It's been a while since then, I wonder if it's been fixed.
Anyway, doesn't look like it's been too active here. Though just knowing isabelle is in is nice :)

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
If that's true then that's most likely a mistake.

It's been a while since then, I wonder if it's been fixed.
Anyway, doesn't look like it's been too active here. Though just knowing isabelle is in is nice :)
Yeah, every now and again, I revisit here just to see if someone's said anything (and I didn't get a notification, for some reason), and that's almost never the case. But I can't complain. I wanted Isabelle. I got Isabelle. I am happy, haha.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Yeah, I kind of thought a social thread would get buzz regardless of character revealed, just because of new character hype. I guess not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I can't say I'm too surprised. Isabelle is a relatively recent character with far less history than the King K. Rools of the world, and unlike Inkling, Isabelle doesn't really appeal to that "hardcore" competitive side of gaming that Smashboards seems to be more geared towards. I mean, unless you count Mario Kart and amiibo Festival as hardcore competitive games, haha.

As a random gift, I'll share a silly little art project I've been working on with y'all. I like to poke around and make funny pictures every once in a while (which should explain my avatar, haha), and my latest project has been Microsoft Paint-ifying the Smash Ultimate Isabelle render. I just got done
erasing the shadow in the background, so I think I'm pretty much done. If, for some reason, you want to do something with this picture, you're more than welcome to.

Isabelle Paint.png

And here's a more minimalistic version, in case you're curious.

Isabelle Paint Minimal.png

Hentai_Kittie

Smash Cadet
This board is unavailable to guests. i have been wanting to see the reactions and discussions on isabelle for the longest. I only got a clue when there was a post on the general discussion claiming that there was no isabelle board, and another user posted a link saying that it was there the whole time. Though the link said that you must be logged in to see this board and i happened to not be logged in when i went to that topic.

I don't even understand why this place is hidden. So my only guess is that it's an over-reaction to the hate isabelle got, or it's a mistake. But it's been over 2 weeks and not really anyone has noticed... So it's whatever i guess....

That said, i can't wait to fish for noobz~ ;3

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This board is unavailable to guests. i have been wanting to see the reactions and discussions on isabelle for the longest. I only got a clue when there was a post on the general discussion claiming that there was no isabelle board, and another user posted a link saying that it was there the whole time. Though the link said that you must be logged in to see this board and i happened to not be logged in when i went to that topic.

I don't even understand why this place is hidden. So my only guess is that it's an over-reaction to the hate isabelle got, or it's a mistake. But it's been over 2 weeks and not really anyone has noticed... So it's whatever i guess....

That said, i can't wait to fish for noobz~ ;3
It might've been an accident. I let the mods know. We'll see what happens.

and hi to any new isabelle fans :)

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Anyone that was having trouble viewing the Isabelle subforum when logged out should not have any more problems.

When it was created, it was set as a private forum on accident.

Mon311

Smash Rookie
Anyone that was having trouble viewing the Isabelle subforum when logged out should not have any more problems.

When it was created, it was set as a private forum on accident.
I appreciate the fix. I actually created this account because I wanted to view the thread but couldn't without one. I'll probably just go back to lurking now but the thread can know Isabelle has my support and I'm excited to try her out and will likely have her as a main/secondary with Kirby.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely cannot wait to net kills with a party popper -- AC is one of my favorite franchises (Nintendo or otherwise) but I don't love how Villager plays and I always thought the game needed actual, well, animal representation, so Isabelle is likely the newcomer I'm most excited to play around with. Party popper's also my favorite emoji-- so everything is beautifully connected :)

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Absolutely cannot wait to net kills with a party popper -- AC is one of my favorite franchises (Nintendo or otherwise) but I don't love how Villager plays and I always thought the game needed actual, well, animal representation, so Isabelle is likely the newcomer I'm most excited to play around with. Party popper's also my favorite emoji-- so everything is beautifully connected :)
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have a special place in my heart for Animal Crossing, and love how it has become such a prominent part of Nintendo's pantheon, but I just couldn't get into Villager's moveset. Isabelle appears to be a character who might be abke to hold my attention the way Villager couldn't.

Also, yes, it's weird that the initial Smash rep for a game called Animal Crossing wasn't one of the iconic animals from which the franchise gets its name. But at least we got one now, haha.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here's the first official pic of Isabelle taking damage (from the recent trailer):

I don't know how I'm going to be able to watch her get hit by Snake's grenades or Snake's neck snap pummel.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Here's the first official pic of Isabelle taking damage (from the recent trailer):

I don't know how I'm going to be able to watch her get hit by Snake's grenades or Snake's neck snap pummel.
It's not much, but even just seeing a little bit of isabelle is really good :D
We can see it in this video too

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
They showed off Isabelle at the Treehouse. She has Villager slingshot aerials, side tilt umbrella, as well as grass pulling down tilt. The hammer is her jab, and the stop sign is her up smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
She looks really good !!

Im not sure how I feel about her having the slingshot fair and bair, it doesnt seem to fit her as much, but she seems fun. :)
I think she'll be one of my mains.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
slingshot? oh god, she's going to be top tier
Well her lloyd rocket isn't as good as villager's.
But other than that she looks actually great overall. Definitely going to use her myself :)

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
we saw all her victory animations in the Treehouse stream.
1) She brushes dust off her skirt, jumps twice, then poses with her hands on her hips.
2) waves with one hand then the other then poses with both arms out.
3) (my fave) a lloid rocket blasts off in the distance as she waves it off before turning to the camera and doing her artwork pose.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Why we didn't see Isabelle getting vaporized.... too sad
Not going to lie, part of me is grateful I didn't have to suffer seeing poor, sweet, little Izzy go through THAT. At the same time, I..DO kind of wonder just how that would have looked...

Wait a minute, was Isabelle even THERE??? I don't think I saw her, but everyone says Ultimate's entire playable (base) roster was there.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Not going to lie, part of me is grateful I didn't have to suffer seeing poor, sweet, little Izzy go through THAT. At the same time, I..DO kind of wonder just how that would have looked...

Wait a minute, was Isabelle even THERE??? I don't think I saw her, but everyone says Ultimate's entire playable (base) roster was there.
I looked again, no way everyone was there. COuldn't see isabelle, nor otheres like Ridley, Yoshi, or Incineroar. I am sure they are there, but the cemra didn't show them

UserKev

Smash Champion
She looks really good !!

Im not sure how I feel about her having the slingshot fair and bair, it doesnt seem to fit her as much, but she seems fun. :)
I think she'll be one of my mains.
I was about to say this. That rod, bruh. Isabelle even has reliable speed. She's going to be a tough cake.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was about to say this. That rod, bruh. Isabelle even has reliable speed. She's going to be a tough cake.
Maybe not that much more than villager, but..

Fast & range is a deadly combo.
enough that she's actually going to be a threat. I may be tearing through people with our cute pup

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Maybe not that much more than villager, but..

Fast & range is a deadly combo.
enough that she's actually going to be a threat. I may be tearing through people with our cute pup

I missed her gameplay too... not being able to watch any of the treehouse sucks :( Is the VOD on youtube yet?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I missed her gameplay too... not being able to watch any of the treehouse sucks :( Is the VOD on youtube yet?
Yes there's going to be vods.
If i remember, I made a thread where i was gonna post videos in . I'll post a link here too once i get the vods

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Yes there's going to be vods.
If i remember, I made a thread where i was gonna post videos in . I'll post a link here too once i get the vods
Oh good, hopefully people will break down her moveset/frame data quickly.

Top Bottom