• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

iRTuan

Smash Journeyman
i found a 13.6 mile trail called west ridge, lynx, and cholla trail

we basically need to bring backpacks with lots of water and lunch

this might take us around 5 hours to do
5 hours without electronic videos? i think i'd die

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
So shoumei said he couldn't go this weekend

and i'm tired

so we should do the hike next weekend

i'm still down to do it though, i'm not flaking LOL

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Spenser, you persist in not picking up your phone. Will you ever learn your lesson about this? This is almost exactly like Festizzio's; you're flaking on something we had already fully planned and agreed to the day before. Except this time I had the foresight to check the boards before leaving my house because I was 35% sure you'd try and flake. You're killing me Spenser.

Unfortunately I did not have the foresight to check the board before I showered and got ready.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
double post but this is kinda important!!!

So I was going through the old pages of this thread (which **** btw, so many awesome posts by so many awesome people. I'm sad that so many people have become inactive Q.Q)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, I happened upon this post

i hope you when you guys go to JDM's house you all intend to practice melee
not just bro-ing out and eating freezepops and playing mario tennis like dunskies house

its ok when we do it cuz we already **** at melee so we can rest on our laurels

but you youngins are the future so u better practice up

/motivational speech
And realized this is basically what we do at rei's now LOL

step it up guys

the future

stuff

blah blah blah

I'm gonna step off my soap box now

iRTuan

Smash Journeyman
double post but this is kinda important!!!

So I was going through the old pages of this thread (which **** btw, so many awesome posts by so many awesome people. I'm sad that so many people have become inactive Q.Q)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, I happened upon this post

And realized this is basically what we do at rei's now LOL

step it up guys

the future

stuff

blah blah blah

I'm gonna step off my soap box now
I AM THE CHOSEN ONE.

unless we decide to play cataan

AntoPark

Smash Lord
I don't know, man. I'm pretty sure I'm only playing for the community now. The skill gap's too discouraging and so is the thought of breaking through some kind of plateau. I thought about it after you[Stab] raged at Rei's a couple nights ago. "I wonder if being good at this game is worth that much to him. I wonder if being good at this game is worth that much to ME." It's a fun game and a lot of cool people play it, but it's frustrating as **** and I'm not smart enough to play samus effectively against any ranked players. I'm fine with the pace that I'm at now. Slowly but surely.

MacD

Banned via Administration
no one is gonna infract you for making another post 12 hours later in a thread like this, hell in probably any thread

i feel bad for all you guys though because so cal smash is on a low tide right now. nor cal plays a lot, ec has tournies and is getting new people still. the main problem is like all the good players all basically died at the same time and there were so many good players who can place top 10 at nationals then there was like alex/wesballz who are still amazing, then the drop to stab (which isn't as big as it used to be at all) but still can be discouraging for new people because after the stab/sung/bakas, there was another gap

also idk how i've put this in the past, but the attitude of a good chunk of the top players in so cal can be really off putting to people making them not even want to become good.

tl:dr sucks to be in so cal because nor cal is super active and cool, and EC has people trying to get sponsors for the smash community and are pretty active

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
I don't know, man. I'm pretty sure I'm only playing for the community now. The skill gap's too discouraging and so is the thought of breaking through some kind of plateau. I thought about it after you[Stab] raged at Rei's a couple nights ago. "I wonder if being good at this game is worth that much to him. I wonder if being good at this game is worth that much to ME." It's a fun game and a lot of cool people play it, but it's frustrating as **** and I'm not smart enough to play samus effectively against any ranked players. I'm fine with the pace that I'm at now. Slowly but surely.
For what it's worth, I apologized to Kevin pretty much right after I left, but I agree Melee can be very frustrating. However, it teaches a pretty important life lesson, because if you can learn to control your anger when something you really care about (Melee) isn't going your way, then you can pretty much control your anger any time in life (which is something I'm still trying to work on).

As for the actual health of the scene: other regions of socal are getting new people and doing just fine from what I can tell, but Irvine is simply losing people faster than it gets new ones. It REALLY REALLY sucks because for the past 2 years it was basically the opposite; most other regions of socal were dying and Irvine was the ****ing promise land. I don't remember much about 2009 (Edit: I remember 2009 now, it was basically me playing G-rev a lot cuz we were all super active at school, but everyone in G-rev is dead now so w/e.).2010 there were friday night smashfests at Anthony's almost every week and so many people would come that he had to LIMIT it down to 10-12 people. Then 2011, there were like 4 different people who could host at any given time on UCI's campus and I could go to Irvine without any prior plans and still gather at least 4-6 different people to play smash, but a lot of people are graduating this year so idk how long we can keep this up....

To bring my point home, I'm going to rate the people on the first post from 1-5 based on how active they are. 1 means they're dead, 2 means you see them 3 times a year, 3 means you'll see them around sometimes, 4 means usually at stuff, 5 means they are very active.

JDM - 3, doesn't actually go to stuff other than when he hosts but he does post a lot lol
MacD - 3 maybe 2, only ever frequents Cam's house but usually plays league now. Graduating soon anyway
Signia - 4, usually comes if he doesn't have johns. Leaving for college after this year
Connor - 2, maybe 1,quit but sometimes shows interest in coming back. Might change based on where he goes for college
Dave - 1, moved to Santa Cruz Q.Q
Deadshot - 1, always too busy to hang out
Zhu - 3, still plays sometimes when asked but graduating and moving to norcal after this year
Justin Wang - 1, stopped after dave left basically
Squid - 2, Used to be very active but now always too busy with long term gf, might be graduating this year?
the boss - 1, basically quit?
maple - 1, lives in oceanside now
Julian Kao - 2 maybe 3, too busy being diligent azn student
spazz - 1, squid's gf who is even even less often than he is
return - 1, who is this guy, honestly
psychomidget - cameron doesn't get a rating because his house is usually open but he never goes to anything, but most the frequenters of cam's house are either gone or are leaving soon
hyprid - 4 or 5, depending on his music schedule
stab - 5, but lives in riverside and is suffering a mental breakdown before his physic midterm tomorrow
gsub - 2, used to be as active i was but now works 2 jobs and rarely plays
chizzlesd - 1, to be fair, charles doesn't even live in irvine and was only super active in 2010 because of weird circumstances lol
doublebass -1, moved away for college
spree/mobil/kane -1, none of these guys play anymore =(
luigi the butcher -1, was only ever a frequenter of cam's house but no longer lives in Irvine
DJ mirror - 2, plays kof now but still around, used to be a 5 though
doppelganger/natsu - 1, these guys were frequenters of cams house and I'm not sure how often they still go but I'm pretty sure they've stopped playing smash at least lol
thundercloud - 1, danny graduated and moved to oregon Q.Q
Rei - 5, the host of irvine but graduating this year =(
anto - 5, one of the few semi-motivated people left
paul - 4, shows up sometimes but super lazy and hasn't tried to improve in ages
blueberry - 2, busy with his band and stuff, rarely shows up to stuff
mattchu - 3, comes sometimes but graduating soon
Adam - 3, not on the front page for some reason but he shows up about as much as matt does
kangix - 2, marcos is almost always busy with work now =(
kirbyraeg - 5, can be a gigantic poop face but he is active. Graduating this year and moving back to norcal though =/
Travis T - 3, still shows up occasionally
incronaut - 2, we just saw him but that was the first time in like a year LOL
shadow scourge - 2, had very good prospects of getting better last year but is really busy on the weekends and rarely plays anymore
fly - 5, the rare combination of active AND not graduating soon
Okami - 5 when he's in socal but 1 when he's in AZ for most the year obviously
Spark - 2, I'm hoping he'll come back one day because he was getting very very good but he stopped entirely because of school and i don't know if he'll ever come back

There are a few other people who played a little bit but they were only active for a short while before fading back into obscurity

Since then, the only 2 new people are Tuan and Shoumei. Shoumei is a 4, and seems dedicated when he does play but he is busy a lot. Tuan is a 5 and I'm very hopeful for him as long as he keeps practicing.

So basically, very few people play actively anymore and even among the active ones, only a handful care about improving. ****. Can we like put up fliers around UCI advertising competitive melee or something? LOL

MacD

Banned via Administration
squid is a year younger than me but who knows when he's graduating. he could easily get out early if he wants but he might have a minor or something

also i posted on his facebook wall and he never responded :(

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i shouldn't even be considered active

i only host and don't play for the most part

i haven't been to tournament since '09

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
I didn't really define it by how often you go to tournaments or everyone on there would be a 1 LOL

and spree goes to ucsd dude, that makes him a 1 by default

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
i've been pretty active lately, like when i was in norcal i went to a huge smashfest, and even went to (and won) a tourney.

since i got back to socal, i've been trying to smash with people but nobody wants to make the drive out to my place, except for the few semi-locals. (i even drove 50 minutes to hairy nipples place)

im just waiting for the next tournament that isnt more than an hour away, and i'll be there most definately

DJMirror

Smash Master
Spark is gonna pick up KOF soon since he called me to play/teach the game with him recently.

iRTuan

Smash Journeyman
Since then, the only 2 new people are Tuan and Shoumei. Shoumei is a 4, and seems dedicated when he does play but he is busy a lot. Tuan is a 5 and I'm very hopeful or him as long as he keeps practicing.
[/QUOTE]

I PRACTICED ALMOST ALL DAY TODAY WHILE I WAS BAKING WITH MY BUDDY.
yay.

DJMirror

Smash Master
you should've asked me earlier for that since my friends were beta testing the console version of the game for months

HENTAI JAPAN

Smash Rookie
Since then, the only 2 new people are Tuan and Shoumei. Shoumei is a 4, and seems dedicated when he does play but he is busy a lot. Tuan is a 5 and I'm very hopeful for him as long as he keeps practicing.
im not a 4. 0 sounds more like it cuz im quitting 949 community melee.

its been pretty damn fun tho

JDM

Smash Champion
You should really pick up a new game to play Matt. Pretty sure everyone in the smash community has a different game that they play casualy/competitively except you.

TF2/LoL/Dota2/Pokemon are good choices for the cheap ***** since all of them are free to play.

shmeargle

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to go to tourneys around our county. It seems like no one is really active around here though :(. I had high hopes a couple of times because there was gonna be one near my area but then it moved to LA lol. Then I missed the one at trabuco. Oh btw return is a friend of mine that lives in orange that got me into smash. We played at our school until our teacher took the tv away lol. But it should be back soon.

:phone:

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
All things considered, Irvine smash is still pretty strong in spite of the decreased activity. That said, it couldn't hurt to look into ways of attracting new blood. It's been quite a while since we've had a tourney right in the vicinity of Irvine; holding and advertising one might help. I don't know the mechanics of how undergraduate clubs work, but a Melee club at UCI could work. I know Fusion had some Smash events and would occasionally have random Melee set-ups elsewhere, but Fusion is evidently not centered around Melee. IIRC, Merced has a Melee club that attracted some new players and helped keep the scene there decent.

*disclaimer that I don't understand people well in general and could easily be wrong about much of this*

Top Bottom