• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 949 Smash Thread: RIP PacWest

DJMirror

Smash Master
JDM what's the name of the site for the ipin? I lost the bookmark for it (I had to reformat my laptop)

Kira-

Smash Champion
My computer ran perfectly with no hitches =)

Although I'm currently using my friends hdd... so I didn't have to install the OS or any drives yet

but yeah everything went much smoother than I expected, cool stuff

also anytime I was annoyed at something I kept thinking of GSUB.. and how he said I was a pretty smart guy and I should be able to figure it out... so I kept trying until I made it work lol. Didn't even eat till i was done, nice motivation

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
why does irvine suck for late night food places?

dave, i have windows xp. is that compatible for the windows 7 upgrade?

you can try that

Kira-

Smash Champion
lol oh yeah, the internet + manuals were the most helpful definitely. although they left something to be desired but yea wasn't hard lol

also thanks rei, the real dj mirror is lending me his xp so i got it though

Brian

Smash Journeyman
did you seat your own processor?

thats some scary ****
i remember when i built my computer back when i was like 13/14 i seated my own processor and it wasn't until after i did it that i realized i could've ****ed up my ****.

i remember getting everything all hooked together and then the rig didn't turn on and i was so scared but some cord wasn't keyed (or whatever the term is) so i had put it in rotated 180 degrees and it wasn't until i looked closely that i noticed it wasn't fitting in the socket perfectly

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
yeah i just got a new mobo and the guide i was using was like

ok its time to seat your processor. NO PRESSURE BRO but you could **** everything up forever
NO PRESSURE
NO PRESSURE JUST DO IT

Kira-

Smash Champion
yeah i just got a new mobo and the guide i was using was like

ok its time to seat your processor. NO PRESSURE BRO but you could **** everything up forever
NO PRESSURE
NO PRESSURE JUST DO IT
Loool, yeah I knew it was important but not really that important, until I tried to slightly adjust it then i was like wtf what is all this but oh well it still worked and yeah that was it

also when spawning pools die holy crap it looks so awesome, didnt know they did anything but disappear until yesterday

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Dave, I didn't get to talk about this as much as I wanted to since I had to go, but going further into the whole "smash not doing anything for your life"

You're right in that in doesn't really help you gain anything other than social ties and in the rare case that you're amazing, a bit of money. I guess if you're real about it, there's not a huge incentive to play smash. However, if it's something you really enjoy then you should just not think about those things and continue to do it (unless it seriously has negative consequences but I don't think smash does).

Uh, I don't really want to delve into the "lack of fresh competition" point because I feel like that will be a much longer argument, but I'll be frank. There's plenty of competition out there, you may have played it all before but think to yourself how long ago that was and how much they've changed since then.

Oh and thanks for the help with my french homework Jeremy. ****.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
everyone needs a hobby

and smash inst that expensive. also the networking thing is pretty huge once you start doing stuff
like wtf i know the son of the coo of ark systems LOL what a good guy to know!

JDM

Smash Champion
lol

The social network thing is one of the good perks of playing a video game that everybody plays. (One of the reasons I started to play Super)

I'm getting GT5 for $50 no tax from my UCI graduate SF friend whenever it comes out lol.

Kira-

Smash Champion
Dave, I didn't get to talk about this as much as I wanted to since I had to go, but going further into the whole "smash not doing anything for your life"

You're right in that in doesn't really help you gain anything other than social ties and in the rare case that you're amazing, a bit of money. I guess if you're real about it, there's not a huge incentive to play smash. However, if it's something you really enjoy then you should just not think about those things and continue to do it (unless it seriously has negative consequences but I don't think smash does).
Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying and I can't really refute it because it's something that I've been debating in my own head for awhile, and still am today. On one hand, playing video games all the time will detract from how much time you spend doing other things to take care of yourself and secure yourself financially.

But there are many things that fall into this same concept, and none of these things are thought of as detrimental. One simple example is surfing, plenty of people wake up early every day to go surfing (takes up plenty of time because they have to go to sleep early, buy equipment, drive to the places that have good waves, etc). Many of these people don't even consider going pro, it's simply a fun hobby that they enjoy doing. Surfing can be detrimental.. if you don't balance it out and work hard when you need to, but that goes for pretty much everything in the world, and that is a problem that lies with the person rather than the hobby.

I think I got really caught up with fixing up my life, from quitting a lot of those bad hobbies and trying to do well in school again, and I thought smash was one of them and so I put it aside. There is a lot more to say about this, about where we should put priorities and about what is expected and the social norm, but for now I think this will suffice.

All in all, yesterday was really fun, one of the most fun smashfests I've had in awhile despite almost throwing up before I got there and being sleep deprived (and staying there late thus depriving myself more), everyone is so good at melee now and I am going to go learn how to win zerg dittos because I don't think I won once... Jeremy I do not believe you have only played 40 1v1 ladder games, either you practice with Fruitdealer or you're magically pro at ZvZ. Also I could suck at ZvZ, which is equally likely (everyone online just sucks more).

I also have to apologize to Deadshot if he sees this, I was supposed to give him a call but didn't end up driving (the real dj mirror did) and I wasn't able to bring him. I wanna play with him and Ekoli and GSUB as well, tech skill is really fun lol.

Signia

Smash Lord
For the thrill of competing, mentally or physically, where you can give it everything you've got, no holding back, and see just where you stand and how far you can go...
Do you need any other reason?

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
it really is just time management and priorities

i used to find it ridiculous that you guys would go to cam's almost everyday and play for hours

i also know friends that have failed for the going out surfing instead of attending classes

in reality anything can be considered detrimental, everything in moderation

for example, there was a tourny i went to yesterday but i wanted to practice for it friday night.

knowing i had midterms weds and thurs, i decided to study all of friday night and wake up in the morning to study also.

my friend sent me a message an hour beforehand when he was going to pick me up

i used that time to warmup and grind combos

my game was cancelled due to lack of entrants but i played whoever and felt i did well

when i got back home i stayed up till 4am studying

Squidster

Smash Ace
Jeremy I do not believe you have only played 40 1v1 ladder games, either you practice with Fruitdealer or you're magically pro at ZvZ. Also I could suck at ZvZ, which is equally likely (everyone online just sucks more).
Haha i definitely need to play more 1v1s to see where i stand. I've played quite a lot of 2s ._. that does count for something!

Its all thanks to day9 / psy / other vids. lol

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
chuns ultra 2 is better

the falcon of ssf4 is probably abel.check out ifc yipes on frameadvantage.com's youtube channel

JDM

Smash Champion
U1 can punish shoto's sweeps(Only on reversal) and characters that zone you out with projectiles. I can punish other things but you need good reactions and good players won't give you the opportunity to use U1.

U2 can be combo'd into from EX legs or Anti Air df light kick. This is the one you should use because it's guaranteed damage every round.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Also which one of chun li's ultras are better?
Both are good. It's all match up dependent.

Ultra 2 can combo from a lot of things.

Ultra 1 can shut down an opponent's fireball game. Even if they won't throw one since they know they'll be punished, they will be forced to play footsies which is one of Chun's strengths. So yeah, both are good.

Top Bottom