• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
mcc no ones is going to wait the time outlining all of link's and y. link's moves to prove to you that link> y. link.

luckysharmz (or how ever his name is spelled) gave you the main points about what makes link > y. link, you don't need every little detail to prove it. Besides in the end it all comes down to opinion, what one person sees as a downside can be a good thing to another, but this is based on majority opinion. As you know majority opinion > than one person's, therefore what the majority thinks is more meaningful and usually more accurate.

And I hope you realize you can make a page long guide explaining what makes link > y. link because you would have to outline everyone of their moves, abilities, and stats, and no one is going to do that just to prove it.

I personally like speed more than power, but I'm not going to argue that y. link > link.

mcc

Smash Ace
Link: More weight, more power, bigger bombs, way more useful Up B, longer ranged throw, longer ranged hook shot, stronger arrows, easier bomb jump, slow running speed, short wavedash.

YL: Light weight, big wavedash, fast running speed, almost all attacks have nearly no lag, very hard time to KO, bigger jumps, weaker arrow, bad up B, worse grab range, bad hookshot range, stronger boomerang.

Link's good sides: 8
Link's bad sides: 2

Y Link's good sides: 5
Y Link's bad sides: 6

Link wins.
bigger bombs doesn't matter much
stronger arrows doesn't matter much
barely anybody uses their bomb jump so that doesn't matter much either. and i think stripes implied that it sucks in one of his posts

and he counted "stronger arrows" as equivalent to "almost all attacks have nearly no lag". he also counted "weaker arrows" as a y link's bad side and not "weaker boomerang" as link's bad side

he didn't mention that young link has a further up b recovery and that link has more range, and maybe more stuff i dunno about

i'm not saying young link is better i'm saying that what he posted isn't enough to convince people that link is better than young link

six

Smash Ace
sheik/ics is overrated

fox and falco are good but not god tier good

wtf happened with this list you guys are smarter than that

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
bigger bombs doesn't matter much
stronger arrows doesn't matter much
barely anybody uses their bomb jump so that doesn't matter much either. and i think stripes implied that it sucks in one of his posts

and he counted "stronger arrows" as equivalent to "almost all attacks have nearly no lag". he also counted "weaker arrows" as a y link's bad side and not "weaker boomerang" as link's bad side

he didn't mention that young link has a further up b recovery and that link has more range, and maybe more stuff i dunno about

i'm not saying young link is better i'm saying that what he posted isn't enough to convince people that link is better than young link

within a combo stronger arrows can matter, link has more range with his boomerrang and that makes it equivalent to y. links shorter range, but stronger boomerrang if you ask me. Link doesn't need a better up-b recovery if he is heavier, it evens out in that area. Besides correct me if I'm wrong but up-b for y. link is only better diagnolly from what I see, isn't link's better for vertical? And also link has a longer hook shot recovery and grab. Even if he didn't mention some stuff, what he said can still make link more useful.

I dunno know about you, you may or may not play y. link, but in case you don't know its easier to catch bombs throw upward, and they also have a bigger area which makes them more likely to hit someone as well as the fact link can throw them farther.

He got all the primary points which are:

Link: More weight, more power way more useful Up B, slow running speed, short wavedash. I'll add on that he has more range for everything (that is one of the most major points) and that he is laggy.

y. link: Light weight, big wavedash, fast running speed, almost all attacks have nearly no lag, very hard time to KO, bad up B. I'll have you know btw that he did mention y. link had a bigger jump which shows he wasn't exactly trying to be bias.

Disregard everything else he said these are basically main points of link and y. link and why this makes link better than y. link. Link has better range, power, weight, and more useful up-b which is important cause its one of the main methods of koing. y. link's good points such as big wd, fast running speed, not much lag are all good, but the fact that he lacks a good method of koing alone renders them less to his advantage because the object of the game is to ko (cause thats how you win...)

This makes so much of a difference that if y. link had koing abilities equal to link, it would not only put him above link on the list, but also possibly bump him into upper (assuming that this would make people use him more.)

mcc

Smash Ace
within a combo stronger arrows can matter. Link doesn't need a better up-b recovery if he is heavier, it evens out in that area. Besides correct me if I'm wrong but up-b for y. link is only better diagnolly from what I see, isn't link's better for vertical?

I dunno know about you, you may or may not play y. link, but in case you don't know its easier to catch bombs throw upward, and they also have a bigger area which makes them more likely to hit someone
what combo is there that requires stronger arrows?

"light weight" was put in the negative section and he didn't include better recovery in y link's positive section. and i'm pretty sure y link's up b range only goes further horizontally

i doubt that the difference in size of the bombs is large enough to be useful. i don't think there will ever be a situation where the size of the bombs determine if the opponent gets hit or not (or do you mean the explosion from the bomb?). i think y link's bombs do more damage anyways. catching in the air difficulty shouldn't be a problem.

but i agree that y link has difficulty KOing which is probably the main reason he's so low in the tier list

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
hey seriously not to jump out with this, but put shiek back to highest tier i mean seriously, shiek owns fox like nobodys business, i jst recently attended cok2 and plenty of the best fox's in the country were there and shieks were owning everywhere. But besides that shiek is too good to be below anybody, AND IL BE ****ED IF IM GONNA SIT BY AND WATCH HER GOOD NAME BE SLANDERIZED

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Why are you even arguing about low tier? they aren't even an interesting arguement, its so obvious that link is much better than young link. if ur gonna argue about anything argue about if marth is worthy of 2nd to 3rd spot on the tier list.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Falco deserves top, just because he is favorable against sheik, fox, and equal with marth. sheik deserves 2nd, she is very favorable in many matchups except few like falco and ICs, other than that fox and sheik is even but she soft counters marth. marth deserves 3rd because he is even with both space animals and is more favorable on certain maps like YS, FOD, and FD against them, and the only person he really suffers against is sheik. and then fox.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Shiek vs Fox is even because of her needles, little lag and most of all her dsmash. Falco's lasers and especially his dair own Shiek hard. There is little she can do. But such is the case for most characters vs Falco. He is too gay.

Edit: LOL! JBM. You said Marth goes even with space animals then you stated that marth suffers vs fox. Which is it? Doesn't matter. It's been stated time and again that fox vs Marth depends on the stage. ex/ Marth > Fox on FD, but Fox > Marth on Dreamland.

And overall I think Marth deserves to be 4th on the list. He goes even with space animals, but its really stage dependent. And shiek soft counters him. So the three characters that really give him a run for his money are above him. Makes sense to me.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Falco deserves top, just because he is favorable against sheik, fox, and equal with marth. sheik deserves 2nd, she is very favorable in many matchups except few like falco and ICs, other than that fox and sheik is even but she soft counters marth. marth deserves 3rd because he is even with both space animals and is more favorable on certain maps like YS, FOD, and FD against them, and the only person he really suffers against is sheik. and then fox.
OMG I love you.

Fox sux.

Edit: Marth still does good vs fox on DL64. Fox cant kill him til like 110%

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If Fox sux then everyone below him is gutter trash mixed with scum and bird ****.

Iron Jawbone

Servant of Malroth
*whistles* Man, this is a lot different than what I remember, especially with Falco's tier jump. A year's time will do that to you.

Frankly, I find this a bit more fitting than the one before.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
hahaha, yeah, marth vs fox is stage dependent, but marth abuses fox so hard on FOD and YS, the only thing that fox has on those stages is the low roof, thats it, other than that marth has the tipped platforms and just easy spacing on both stages against fox/falco/sheik on FOD and YS. i think Marth deserves to be 3rd at least, fox is overrated, of course he is good, but he isn't worthy of top tier like falco/sheik are.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I just don't know how you can say Fox is horrible. Even if he was ranked 4th he would still be better then most of the cast. Plus the tier list doesn't change the actual match ups. Its more of a recognizition of how good a character is compared to the rest. His rank being 4th wouldn't change the fact that he has many great moves and has incredible speed and awesome combos as well as great kill moves. Fox as a character will always be a beast in melee regardless of what the community thinks of him. The list is just acknowledging the fact that he is a straight up monster in this game.

But, for the record I do think Falco is better. Slighly better mind you. But still better.

Edit: I will agree that on alot of stages Marth will have the upper hand, especially the nuetral stages.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Fox is definetly good, but he doesn't really dominate anyone like sheik and falco do, and marth dominates more so than fox does to most characters, personally and i think most will agree for those who are marth/fox users, peach v fox is a harder matchup than marth v peach. fox and marth are definetly close in the running for 3rd spot on the tier list for ability to perform, but this is based on tourney results if i'm correct so it doesn't matter, we smashboards members should create a tier list based on potential.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Truth. Thing is all of the old list were based more on potential. This is the first list based mostly on tourney results. That's why I like it because it's accurate. We can talk all we want about potential, but tournies are where we see results. And results are what matters. You shouldn't base a list on what the community thinks, but what the data from the results has proven. It just makes sense to do it that way.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
True, but those from the smash community will bring the experience they have been through in tournaments and base potential and results together creating a list based on those characters that have the overall greatest potential in the game, and therefore a final answer to who is the best character. which is it? Sheik? or falco?

mcc

Smash Ace
i think fox has the greatest (unhuman) potential, but for humanly possible potential, i think it's one of the space animals

now that I think about it, ice climbers have pretty large potential too

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Shiek's and Falco's do better than Fox's in tournies.

Fox and Marth do good in tourney but both, shiek and Falco, dominate them when they come across eachother.

Fox's don't win tournies n e more. Shiek's and Falco's do.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
eh, ive asked about u and i heard u were horrendous so i really dont care what u say.

I'm surprised u still play this game after the amount of horrendousness you've built up.
...k? Haha.

Who'd you hear that from?

Anyway, you make so many statements and don't back them up with anything. Pretty much all your posts involve one line statements that mean nothing because you don't provide evidence or proof.

You say "Shiek's and Falco's do better than Fox's in tournies."...if this is truly what you believe to be the case, can you back it up with something?

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
LOL when was the last time a fox won a MAJOR tourney????

FC6: Falco
Smash AID: Shiek
MLG Orlando: C Fal (Ken's FOx and Marth got beat by KDJ and Isai's Shiek).

Edit: read the whole thread first b4 u make accusations moron. This is the 2343nd time I've said Shiek and Falco>Fox in this thread.

I don't need to write a paragraph everytime someone brings this topic up.

Let's see the matchups

Shiek=Fox
Shiek>Marth (+0)
Shiek<Falco

Falco>Fox
Falco=Marth (+2)
Falco>Shiek

Fox=Marth
Fox=Shiek (-1)
Fox<Falco

Marth<Shiek
Marth=Falco (-1)
Marth=Fox

Sheik does better vs Marth, which means

Falco
Shiek
Fox or Marth
Peach

But then again this list was retardedly based on tournament placings(which is what a tier list is I guess....) But Falco and SHiek's still do better i n tourney. SBR u suck.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't think Smash AID counts as a big tourney.

However FC6 and MLG Orlando definately do.

I could see Falco being above fox but not sheik.

Sheik vs ICies is horrible.
Beyond that she also has a negative match vs Falco and goes even or owns everyone else.

Fox has a negative match up to Falco and goes even or ***** everyone else.

However Falco has a lot more even match up's then sheik and fox do.

NJ'zFinest

Smash Ace
lol frotaz37, DooDah knows what he's talking about; why do you still have a beef with him? How old are you sir?

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
dude seriously cut this bull****, shiek owns fox for now and forever, im sorry fox enthusiast but get over it.
Falco
Shiek
Marth/fox
Peach/Cf

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Aho and Chillin have both beaten Chu's ICies last several times they've played with fox.

>.>

Fox doesn't have a counter but sheik does.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
LOL! Good point Doodah. Fox ***** alot of the cast but EVERYONE IN THE WHOLE **** GAME HAS SOME AWESOME COMBO ON HIM. I find that quite funny actually. The number one character gets comboed to hell by everyone.

Ok. I can see Marth and Fox sharing a spot now. But Marth isn't the best. Why do so many people say he is so great and hate on him. You should all be hating on Falco, Fox and Shiek.

Sensai

Smash Master
Jeeze. Lots of beef with the tier list...

Everyone knows that it's based on how people do in tourney's, right? It's not how good someone actually is, but how that certain character does at tourney's.

I assume you all know this, but I felt I needed to contribute in some way, and seeing as how I'm not pissed off at someone or another, it looks like that was all I could put into this conversation. :-D

Aiser

Smash Lord
I hate on the whole game and tope i never said IC's counter Fox, ICs do good vs Fox.

And Aiser you're wrong.
mind explaining why I'm wrong instead of just saying it, tends to avoide potential flame wars. Unless you want a flame war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom