• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Always said that SWF should have two tier list.

One based on how well a character will do at a tourney based on tourney results themselves. And the other based on potential. Street Fighter: 3S has this set up for thier lists.

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
Always said that SWF should have two tier list.

One based on how well a chracter will do at a tourney based on tourney results themselves. And the other based on potential. Street Fighter: 3S has this set up for thier lists.
Good idea.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Because the guys at SRK have been playing since they were 14 and now the are all in thier mid 20's.

People here have no concept of other fighters and think they know it all but they don't. And the average player here is in their mid to late teens.

SRKers have more exp points.

APImagine

Smash Apprentice

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Everyone should know, tiers don't exist. Any character can beat any character

Jk, but does anyone else think it's unfair that Ken is training to be the best bowser? He's already better than Arash and Caotic. I mean, the best player ever can NOT also be the best Bowser

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
LOL, if you guys think because 1 Shiek player has been doing better than all the other Falcos in the country, then ICs, Jiggz and Luigi need to be moved way up too.

I swear to God, people can't read.

Cort

Apple Head
Hypothetical tourny results

1. Drephen
2. Notable Falco
3. Notable Falco
4. Notable Falco
5. Notable Falco
5. Notable Falco
7. Notable Falco
7. Notable Falco
9. Notable Falco
9. Notable Falco
9. Notable Falco
9. Notable Falco
13. Notable Falco
13. Notable Falco
13. Notable Falco
13. Notable Falco

...Falco is clearly better than Sheik.

mog87

Smash Ace
No one character wins a tournament usually... More likely its a combination of Fox and someone. Fox/Falco , Fox/Sheik, Fox/Marth.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth and Fox have soloed tournies.

Pretty sure of that.

Marth and Fox for God tier

mog87

Smash Ace
Character Solo wins

Possibly Mlg Nyc opener -Falco
Possibly Mlg Anaheim and Dallas?Evo East?- Marth
Pound 2 -Ice Climbers

And sheiks won like 2 solo tournies since like what them old rechiperis videos? Anywho feel free to correct errors and fill in omissions.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
If people are going to say "IT'S BASED ON TOURNEY RESULTS!!!" then unless they also give a well-defined framework for interpreting those results, then their opinion of the tiers is just as worthless as they'd have you believe that "metagame based" tier lists are.

People who think that the tier list should be solely based on tourneys often say that their view makes more sense because it is more based on "fact" and actual events. But, you can still cherry-pick tourney results to support almost any reasonable tier list claim, is the point I'm trying to make.

SUMMARY: Quoting 3 or 4 tourney results and then going "OBVIOUSLY TOP TIER IS X, Y, Z" is without merit.

Personally, I always conceived of a tier list as being more of a "tourney viability" list (I suppose this is closer to the 2nd list on the 3S wiki), which is based on both metagame and tourney results. That is to say, a good matchup vs Fox is worth a lot more than a good (or even dominating) matchup vs Kirby.

MeleeUltimate

Smash Cadet
If I was doing a accurate tier list, this is the logical way I would do it:
go to vs mode,
pic computer character match ups (both level 9),stock, best out of 3 and let them have it out in a fair & balanced stage like Final Destination see who wins, the character who wins goes above the character who doesn't in the list.

It would be soooooooooooo loooooooong though ( which is why I haven't bothered) , you would need to do it sooo many times and keep a record of who one against who and computer characters can do random stuff which could influence the results.

I think a tier list based on how characters do in tourneys makes sense though, on the other hand experience comes into it. SOOOO......:ohwell:

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Yeah, if you did that you could make a computer matchup chart like Phannas.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
go to vs mode,
pic computer character match ups (both level 9),stock, best out of 3 and let them have it out in a fair & balanced stage like Final Destination see who wins, the character who wins goes above the character who doesn't in the list.

It would be soooooooooooo loooooooong though ( which is why I haven't bothered) , you would need to do it sooo many times and keep a record of who one against who and computer characters can do random stuff which could influence the results.

I think a tier list based on how characters do in tourneys makes sense though, on the other hand experience comes into it. SOOOO......:ohwell:
Okkkk

1. Don't post again.
2. Srsly
3. You're really dumb
4. Don't post again
5. ????
6. Profit

Brookman

Smash Hero
If people are going to say "IT'S BASED ON TOURNEY RESULTS!!!" then unless they also give a well-defined framework for interpreting those results, then their opinion of the tiers is just as worthless as they'd have you believe that "metagame based" tier lists are.

People who think that the tier list should be solely based on tourneys often say that their view makes more sense because it is more based on "fact" and actual events. But, you can still cherry-pick tourney results to support almost any reasonable tier list claim, is the point I'm trying to make.

SUMMARY: Quoting 3 or 4 tourney results and then going "OBVIOUSLY TOP TIER IS X, Y, Z" is without merit.

Personally, I always conceived of a tier list as being more of a "tourney viability" list (I suppose this is closer to the 2nd list on the 3S wiki), which is based on both metagame and tourney results. That is to say, a good matchup vs Fox is worth a lot more than a good (or even dominating) matchup vs Kirby.
I think you're taking the discussion a bit TOO seriously. We don't decide the tier list, we just come here to banter about it, and we don't really need a 'well-defined framework' to just discuss. I don't really think anyone claimed that their opinions on the tier list had any merit to begin with, and no one said that 'meta game based' tier lists were worthless either.

Again, I've never seen anyone say that tournament based tier lists were based more on facts, or that they make more sense than the alternatives. Also, again, WE, in THIS discussion, do not make the tier lists, and the things we discuss really don't matter at all, so even if WE cherry pick results to support our positions it doesn't particularly matter.

siting three or four of the most recent tournaments obviously is without merit, cause that doesn't reflect what's currently happening in the community at all. As far as your preference goes, I do believe that's how our tier lists had been ordered anyway. The last time the tier list was being updated PC/KDJ/M2K were dominating everyone and each other with fox/falco, which is why we have those two characters on top, etc etc etc.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
go to vs mode,

this would mean falco, sheik and luigi are bototm tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom