• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyntalan Maelstrom

Smash Ace
NNID
Cyntalan
3DS FC
4227-1428-3954
Part of arguing for tiers based on Theory Fighter is the current capability to play at that theoretical level. A comparison I like to draw from is Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. The game has been dumbed down to 4 characters over the years, and while they are considered the best, in Theory Fighter, they all lose to a specific duo - Strider/Doom. Strider super w/ Doom's anti-air assist makes for a high-chip damage trap that is impossible to escape, provided the Strider can keep up the execution flawlessly. The problem? It's really easy to mess up the execution. Strider's commands are easy to mix up, and if one gets entered instead of the other, it not only ends the trap, but puts both Strider AND Doom in full vulnerability for a potentially devastating amount of time.

Similarly, Fox, in Theory Fighter, should be undeniably the best character due to waveshining being a makeshift infinite. All it should take is one shine, then shine until they're off the stage, then repeat. Of course, the execution for such maneuvers is really easy to mess up, and one mess up is all it takes for the opponent to escape. Unlike the Strider/Doom instance, however, it doesn't necessarily put Fox in a devastatingly bad position.

So really, one does need to take the current level of execution into play, as well as the current metagame. You can't pull the results of the best players and say the characters they use are the best any more than you can pull the popular results and quantify the character placings. You can, however, look at those results, and understand WHY the results are what they are. What the current strategy is, what works, what doesn't, how well can people reliably execute said strategy, as well as input understanding. These are the factors that pull a tier list from pure Theory Fighter into an understandable list.

shotafan

Smash Cadet
...some people here need to actually go and play in REAL tournaments and then you'll begin to agree with the tier list...If that doesn't help then try learning all the characters and then you'll begin to see why the tier list is the way it is. I mean I'm a super hardcore Peach player but I'm not gonna argue that she's top tier or anything. (Besides I'm already happy that she's high tier...WEE~EEE!!!)

Sandy

Smash Champion
I could really care less about tiers, SSB is about playing as your favorite Nintendo characters, not playing as the top tier Fox all the time. In other words, I play the game to have fun, regardless of how bad the character may be I still would enjoy using a character I like a lot.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I could really care less about tiers, SSB is about playing as your favorite Nintendo characters, not playing as the top tier Fox all the time. In other words, I play the game to have fun, regardless of how bad the character may be I still would enjoy using a character I like a lot.
well if you just play friendlies, then you shouldn't really care

wordman

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing PAL. But your question doesn't make sense.

Isn't that the version that is considered balanced or was the ssbm .1 is what I'm trying say? Sorry if I confused you I'm just curious why no one plays it if it is.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
PAL is supposedly more balanced, with no sheik chaingrab, weakened fox upsmash, and lots of other things.

Shouldn't middle tier go

CF
Samus
Ice Climbers

Each character matches well with the one below it

Smash Master
Fox without shine would still be high tier with upthrow->upair and his nair/bair tandem.

oh and upsmash...that move is so bloody good.
Fox without shine would have nothing to break up combos. If Fox gets hit, he gets juggled for three minutes and then flung off the stage. Fox with no shine would have no way to prevent getting hit/grabbed after a shielded aerial. Mid tier, below Link.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Fox without a shine might not be the best character, but he'd definitely still be high tier. He still has speed combined with moves that do a lot of damage for how fast he is, and still has gay combos without shine. His entire moveset is broken, except maybe f-air...

CaptainFalco30

Smash Cadet
Tier list is about tourny results, not potential, sandman. Nor is it about how good the character's moves are. A metagame, the very word, is better defined as what you should expect to see at a tournament than what is best to use. WHen you consider that low tiers perform well in the hands of some players, that goes to prove that character placement on tiers isn't a sign of their strength. A number of high tourny results suggests that you will see more good players with Fox and Falco than Kirby.

As to "not caring about tier lists" that's yet another obvious answer. Don't post here.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
The reason Fox is on top is because of his shine mixed with every ariel(-Fair) and shine-wavedash-grab/upsmash.

Fox without shine is mid tier at best.

For one, all characters that have problems grabbing Fox for chain grabs/grab combos, are now able to grab Fox.

Also, Fox can no longer gimp kill.

And, he can't stay out of shield grabs(part of 1st point).

Fox sucks without shine.

Fletch

Smash Master
Fox without a shine might not be the best character, but he'd definitely still be high tier. He still has speed combined with moves that do a lot of damage for how fast he is, and still has gay combos without shine. His entire moveset is broken, except maybe f-air...
You forget that once Fox gets hit, he is going to get juggled to hell, with no move to help him escape really. Fox loses a lot of his good combos, and also can no longer gimp kill. Fox relies on his shine probably more than any other character on one of their moves, there is a reason it is the best move in the game. I'd say he would be at the bottom of high tier/top mid tier without the shine.

EDIT: Also everything that Doodah said, except I don't really agree with him dropping to "mid tier at best", although he could be that low without the shine.

red stone

Smash Ace
what the heck, how did pichu go up. this is definitely based on tourny results because mewtwo has obvious advantages compared to pichu. obviously, a lot of jokers thought it would be funny to win tournaments with pichu to make him go a spot up on the standings

red stone

Smash Ace
even without the shine, he would still have good stuff like his running speed, u smash, and overall agility especially with some aerials. i think he would still be formidable though. i think lower than peach about

DK SmAsH

Smash Journeyman
well how about if u take foxs best move away...take away every other characters best move away as well...and THEN decide the tier...wouldnt that make more sense?

Magus420

Smash Master
Do people forget he still has a good jab and a fast dash as options against shieldgrabbing? Even then that's better off than most characters, and he can still space b-airs out of most grab ranges anyway. His entire game doesn't fall apart without it, it's just a bit different and not quite as good obviously.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
yes, but the shine makes him a much harder character to start combo's on

and he can't gimp anyone anymore

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it should change soon, i hear around when brawl comes out

i'm guessing that top teir will include shiek and marth, but stay in teh same order

i feel it might change to

Top:
fox
falco
sheik
marth

high:
ICs
Falcon
Peach

Mid:
samus
ganon
doc
mario
jiggs

Low:
DK
link
luigi
y. link
roy
pika

bottom:
g&w
yoshi
ness
zelda
bowser
kirby
pichu
mewtwo

enjoy it

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
it should change soon, i hear around when brawl comes out

i'm guessing that top teir will include shiek and marth, but stay in teh same order

i feel it might change to

Top:
fox
falco
sheik
marth

high:
ICs
Falcon
Peach

Mid:
samus
ganon
doc
mario
jiggs

Low:
DK
link
luigi
y. link
roy
pika

bottom:
g&w
yoshi
ness
zelda
bowser
kirby
pichu
mewtwo

enjoy it
lol Marth above Falco and Sheik and maybe even #1, maybe..
Jiggs above Mario FOR SURE!!!
The bottom should be like this(no offense)
Ness
Yoshi
Zelda
G&W(he sucks)
Mewtwo
Bowser(maybe bowser above Mewtwo)
Pichu
Kirby

Kirby is worse then pichu, thats an easy one(no offense)
G&W sucks

mood4food77

Smash Hero
thought taht too...but look at it

there's only 1 or 2 mewtwo pros
4 for bowser, kirby, and pichu

the only really good pichu pro is chu dat, the kirby pros are better than the other pichu pros, so overall do better than pichu

why kirby is higher than pichu

marth will not go to number one...too many bad match-ups, falco has none, fox has one, sheik has 3, marth has 5

ToXn

Smash Journeyman
Can win tourney's tier:
Fox
Falco
Sheik
Marth
Peach

Lol what's your basis for peach too go down? If anything she should be going UP.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i think ICs and falcon's are overall doing better in tourneys than peach's are

they're moving up in the ranks fast

ToXn

Smash Journeyman
No peach players have improved VASTLY over the past year.

Also the Rise of the wobble people a reason too sort of learn peach.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ummm...i'm pretty sure they've gotten worse since last year

the highest ranked peach player last year was vidjo and he was 8th.....now i think he's done and i don't know if there is a single peach player in the top 25....

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
There was huge argument a few pages back about who was better Peach or Falcon!
Peach won the character matchup and stats wise won....
But cause of tourneys records Falcon wins!!!

@MOOD4FOOD
Ask T!mmy or Tommy and they will agree with me...
Mewtwo>>>>Pichu and Kirby
Trust me...

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
It depends, of course Mewtwo is much better when played at a highly technical level, but do to the fact that Pichu and Kirby do better in low tier tournies he is placed at the bottom.

I've seen some great Pichu players, and often they can beat higher tier characters. Pichu is a great juggler if you're fast with him.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
there are 4 bowser, pichu, and kirby pros compared to 1 mewtwo pro

one player can't do it alone

i haven't seen many peaches place higher than falcons and ICs lately

mood4food77

Smash Hero
falco's place higher than marths and sheiks and is the only character that has an advantage on fox

BigRick

Smash Master
One thing that must be taken account of is the usage of secondaries.

Falcos will always switch to Fox/Sheik/Marth at one point or another.

But I've never seen sum1 use Falco as a secondary... and logically this could be why:

A Falco that has troubles with Marth/Peach will usually switch to Fox/Sheik
A Fox that has trouble with Marth will switch to Sheik
A Marth that has trouble with Sheik can switch to Fox/Falco but we see Fox more much often
And a sheik that has trouble with Fox will most often switch to Marth

What I'm tryin to point out here, is that aside from Falco mains, not many players will use Falcos in tourneys...

But in high level tourneys, Falcos often have to switch to another top tier to deal with a certain matchup/player they're less comfortable to play against as Falco.

EDIT: apart from that, I like the way you put up your high and middle tier

mood4food77

Smash Hero
so, more like this

Top:
Fox
Sheik
Marth
Falco

High:
ICs
Falcon
Peach

Mid:
Samus
Ganon
Doc
Mario
Jiggs

Low:
DK
Link
Luigi
Y. Link
Roy
Pikachu

Bottom:
g&w
Yoshi
Ness
Zelda
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

i still feel there should be more tiers...kinda like

TOP:
fox
sheik
marth
falco

upper:
ICs
falcon
peach

high:
samus
ganon
doc
mario
jiggs

mid (which will not be in low tier battles):
DK
link
luigi

low:
y. link
roy
pika

lower:
g&w
yoshi
ness
zelda

bottom:
bowser
kirby
pichu
mewtwo

BigRick

Smash Master
Yo dude I'm using my 1000th post to say that your 2nd list is awesome.

That thing is very balanced and makes a lot of sense, props to that.

EDIT: but due to the amount of tiers we could write the characters' names horizontally, like so:

New SSBM tier list

TOP: Fox - Sheik - Marth - Falco

UPPER: Ice Climbers - C. Falcon - Peach

HIGH: Samus - Ganon - Dr Mario - Mario - Jigglypuff

MIDDLE: Donkey Kong - Link - Luigi

LOW: Young Link - Roy - Pikachu

LOWER: Mr Game & Watch - Yoshi - Ness - Zelda

BOTTOM: Bowser - Kirby - Pichu - Mewtwo

^^by Mood4Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom