• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
DK is definatly better then link >.>
I dont think so. I know a few tournaments where they ban link and luigi for low tier cause they pwn the low tier and everyone uses them...

I think Pika is better than DK. Check with Gimpyfish about Bowser, he might actually be lower than Pichu.
Gimpy is pretty biased towards bowser, so he puts him 6th from bottom which is WAY to high for Bowser. I think Bowser just cause his weight is higher then Pichu...

Redragon

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I dont think so. I know a few tournaments where they ban link and luigi for low tier cause they pwn the low tier and everyone uses them...
Once again tournament results can prove this wrong, and current trends as well. Bum's DK has consistently ***** a lot of weekly's and such in NYC, and he recently placed FOURTH with all DK at MLG Long Island. He competed with PC Chris, M2K, Chu Dat, Isai, and many other huge pro's many of which he defeated.

DK is getting the attention he needs these days, he is a very cheap character and when played with Bum his full potential is high enough to compete with the best pro's using the best characters.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Once again tournament results can prove this wrong, and current trends as well. Bum's DK has consistently ***** a lot of weekly's and such in NYC, and he recently placed FOURTH with all DK at MLG Long Island. He competed with PC Chris, M2K, Chu Dat, Isai, and many other huge pro's many of which he defeated.

DK is getting the attention he needs these days, he is a very cheap character and when played with Bum his full potential is high enough to compete with the best pro's using the best characters.
This theory is very wrong, you are saying that if one player does well and defeats many other pros then that character should move up.
So by your reasoning Marth should without a doubt be #1 cause Ken wins 95% of his tourneys!!!
Nope you need more reasons then just one player....

Redragon

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Ken also uses Fox.
Aniki was tired of not winning the big one so he switched to Samus.

Bum's case is actually different, because he's not only winning, he's also evolving DK's meta by showing us new tricks that the ape can do. Combine that with the good ol cargo combos and you got an okay char...

Link, on the other hand, has quite a stale meta...

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
I don't really get how tiers work, can someone link me to a detailed explaintion of tiers. Because the way I see it is tiers = potential to be the best player. And with that logic Marth should be the best because Ken is the best and the ICs should be in the top 3 because Chu Dat is in the top 3.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
I don't really get how tiers work, can someone link me to a detailed explaintion of tiers. Because the way I see it is tiers = potential to be the best player. And with that logic Marth should be the best because Ken is the best and the ICs should be in the top 3 because Chu Dat is in the top 3.
they base if off of tournament results

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Actually tiers are defined by the metagame, which is a combination of things...

a) the strength of the character (not talking about untapped potential here, sry Ness fans)
b) how well does he fare in tournies
c) matchups and other stuff

To all Marth supporters: why hasn't any1 brought up Mew2King yet? His Marth is beastly...

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Marth as played by Ken, Azen and M2k is amazing
I think Marth should be #1 or at LEAST #2 behind Fox.
I think Marth has proven that he is better then Falco and even Sheik.

Redragon

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
So if it were based of tournement and pro support then Marth shuold be number one, because Ken and M2K are the best, and they play as Marth. Right, he's fast, he's strong, he has a good WD, why wouldn't he be in the top 3 or even top two let alone number 1.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
This theory is very wrong, you are saying that if one player does well and defeats many other pros then that character should move up.
So by your reasoning Marth should without a doubt be #1 cause Ken wins 95% of his tourneys!!!

Redragon
What's wrong with that logic, Marth has the most potential because the best player in the world plays as Marth the best, therefore Marth is better than all the characters.

Banned via Administration
What's wrong with that logic, Marth has the most potential because the best player in the world plays as Marth the best, therefore Marth is better than all the characters.
first off, amazing triple post. YOU PULLED IT OFF!!! BUDDY!!!

second off, tier list isnt based on tournament wins alone or individual players.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero

Redragon
I never said DK was better than anyone beyond Link. It's not a theory. DK has the ability to get fourth at major tournaments with the best pro's. DK is cheap. DK is better than Link.

I never said DK was better than anyone beyond Link. It's not a theory. DK has the ability to get fourth at major tournaments with the best pro's. DK is cheap. DK is better than Link.
dk sucks. hes not cheap. LOL.

but i actually am starting to think this. dk is better than luigi for sure, and probably link as well. he should be top of low tier.

Triple posts for the win! Well 5150, can you tell me exactly what it's based off of and who you believe shuld be in the top 5.
top 5 = exactly as it is right now.

tiers are based off of, basically, everything. thats what the "metagame" is. its a fancy word for what potential a char has, how chars are being used in tournaments (i guess a factor of potential), and how well they are doing in tournaments.

for example. if you go to a large tourney. a good 50% (probalby more honestly) of the "good players" will be using space animals. why? because once you have their tech down (which isn't too hard for most people to get down) then you are instantly a competitor at the high level because they are just great characters.

spacies have recently (starting a little before the new tier list was made) been kicking huge ***. not just individual players, but the entire group as a whole. however, individual players unlocked new fox tricks and tactics that helped him move up to the top of the list (kdj + mew2king).

mew2king and ken are not good examples of why marth should be top tier. they are savants at the game. same goes for bum. he is an amazing player but im sorry dk isn't good. you have to look at teh overall smash community, not just popular individuals.

wow long post on a dumb thread.

uair.

best juggle in the game?????????
in order to get an uair you need to grab them 95% of the time. if dk could do this against space animals consistently hed be much higher on the tier list but unfortunately he cant.

also, it juggles, but it doesnt kill. fox's uair juggles AND kills. it may lead to a fair but this is fd only we are talking about. all other stages have platforms that hurt him.

its DEF not abusable.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
top 5 = exactly as it is right now.

tiers are based off of, basically, everything. thats what the "metagame" is. its a fancy word for what potential a char has, how chars are being used in tournaments (i guess a factor of potential), and how well they are doing in tournaments.

for example. if you go to a large tourney. a good 50% (probalby more honestly) of the "good players" will be using space animals. why? because once you have their tech down (which isn't too hard for most people to get down) then you are instantly a competitor at the high level because they are just great characters.

spacies have recently (starting a little before the new tier list was made) been kicking huge ***. not just individual players, but the entire group as a whole. however, individual players unlocked new fox tricks and tactics that helped him move up to the top of the list (kdj + mew2king).

mew2king and ken are not good examples of why marth should be top tier. they are savants at the game. same goes for bum. he is an amazing player but im sorry dk isn't good. you have to look at teh overall smash community, not just popular individuals.

wow long post on a dumb thread.
OK, I still don't agree with it, if the best player plays as Marth the best then Marth has the most potential, period. But whatever you say, Where should DK be in relation to Luigi, Link and Roy?

Aesir

Smash Master
OK, I still don't agree with it, if the best player plays as Marth the best then Marth has the most potential, period. But whatever you say, Where should DK be in relation to Luigi, Link and Roy?
No it just means the best player likes using marth the most/ or feels more comfortable playing marth it doesn't mean he's the best. Chu uses y.link to counter peach, does that mean y.link is the best peach counter? No lr2reason.

no you cant disagree with it because that's what tiers are. if you say you disagree then you are saying you disagree with tiers on a whole, which will make everyone laugh at you. also you prob need to go to a tourney to see what im talking about.

in science when you are collecting data you throw out bad data points so that what you are studying gets analyzed correctly. players like bum, ken, and mew2king are bad data points. im not explaining it anymore.

dk should be top of low tier. his metagame is better than links or luigis IMHO.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
@DK discussion

hmmm i would go as far as pushing him to bottom of middle. we can't have low tiers doing well in the metagame imo. it ruins the system!!!!!!

and ya you can pick at any move like dat... u gotta grab to get foxes uair too, sure you can fall on em, but you can with dk too i do it all the time, more towards the front of him than the center works like a charm. captain jack shffls uairs to start em up. you can pick at any move but the fact is uair can rack up 30-60 damage in seconds and at high percents its a guaranteed kill move w/ a grab yknow what im sayin. most chars dont have such a great move.

@c falcon

best combo game

@DK discussion

hmmm i would go as far as pushing him to bottom of middle. we can't have low tiers doing well in the metagame imo. it ruins the system!!!!!!

and ya you can pick at any move like dat... u gotta grab to get foxes uair too, sure you can fall on em, but you can with dk too i do it all the time, more towards the front of him than the center works like a charm. captain jack shffls uairs to start em up. you can pick at any move but the fact is uair can rack up 30-60 damage in seconds and at high percents its a guaranteed kill move w/ a grab yknow what im sayin. most chars dont have such a great move.

@c falcon

best combo game

this is wrong. please play more of the game thank you.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
OK. But let me get this straight tiers (according to 5150) are...

basically, everything. thats what the "metagame" is. its a fancy word for what potential a char has, how chars are being used in tournaments (i guess a factor of potential), and how well they are doing in tournaments.

I get it then, but I don't get what "how chars are being used in tournaments" means, does that mean popularity? I'm just trying to get a very detailed explaination of tiers before I actually contribute to this thread.

OK. But let me get this straight tiers (according to 5150) are...

basically, everything. thats what the "metagame" is. its a fancy word for what potential a char has, how chars are being used in tournaments (i guess a factor of potential), and how well they are doing in tournaments.

I get it then, but I don't get what "how chars are being used in tournaments" means, does that mean popularity? I'm just trying to get a very detailed explaination of tiers before I actually contribute to this thread.
if youve gone a tournament and played against genericspaceanimalplayer43 you'll see how they are being used and how effective it is.

gg 2 u

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
if youve gone a tournament and played against genericspaceanimalplayer43 you'll see how they are being used and how effective it is.

gg 2 u
I've been to one and I did see Space Animals owning, but I saw some good *** Marths. But your a great Shiek, and you know the game better than I do, so I'll take your word for it. I still don't like how tiers have to do with popularity. For anyone who plays pokemon netbattle here's a brief anology. Blissey is OU, but Chansey is BL. Which doesn't make sense, because Blissey is hardly better then Chansey. But technically Chansey should be in Never Used. Chansey should be in OU or a tier close to it. Anyways, I get the point, and it's understandble.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
It is based off tourney results.
If more Foxes win tournies, that means he is higher tier.
And, as logic dictates, if there are more Foxes playing, a higher ratio of Foxes will win (even IF he weren't the best character in the game, that would be true).
If a thousand people all started using Mario and won tourneys, that means Mario would move up. But only BECAUSE people started using and winning with him, not because he magically got better.

There. Popularity affects the tiers.

>_>' Honestly, ManaLord and 5150. 'gg 2 u' and 'no' don't prove anything except you can't reason well enough to think of a, eh, reasonable response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom