• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2006-2008 Tier list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psi

Smash Cadet
I like it. Ness should be higher up though. He is a great character.
I think so too. The only reason he is so far down is because very few people play him so very few see his potential. He's alot different than most characters though. So people who are good with other characters aren't as good with ness. Then they think ness sucks. The low tier placement does make everyone underestimate him though so I can't complain.

Kirbyfighter

Smash Rookie
kirby doesnt suck..... u guys just never played with him or have used kirby as your main. Plus, kirby can combo pretty easily. You just never tried to combo with him... Pichu, you say, is small and hard to hit but up against a pro marth, that doesnt make a difference cuz his sword's range will hit pichu easily like every1 else. Hes crazy weak too

arrowhead

Smash Ace
pichu's much much stronger than kirby, and marth owns kirby just as much. and pichu combos > kirby... combos

kirby is the worst character in the game

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
kirby doesnt suck..... u guys just never played with him or have used kirby as your main. Plus, kirby can combo pretty easily. You just never tried to combo with him... Pichu, you say, is small and hard to hit but up against a pro marth, that doesnt make a difference cuz his sword's range will hit pichu easily like every1 else. Hes crazy weak too
I main him...

He sucks. While I don't think he's OMFG TERRIBLE GETS 4-STOCKED BY EVERYTHING REGARDLESS OF SKILL, he's still either the worst, or second worst in the game.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
''Knowing your weaknesses will only make u stronger...''

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
''Knowing your weaknesses will only make u stronger...''
'Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.'

Like fsmashes, fairs, combos, lasers, pillars, needles, tippers, missiles, spikes, drillshines.

If only that were true. Kirby would be top tier.

Aesir

Smash Master
I thought the Kirby argument ended a long time ago? o_O

It would have been nice if Link was at least at the bottom of middle, but seeing how his only bad match ups are the most used characters in the game I'm not surprised. that and 90% of link players have no idea what the **** they're doing.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
I thought the Kirby argument ended a long time ago? o_O

It would have been nice if Link was at least at the bottom of middle, but seeing how his only bad match ups are the most used characters in the game I'm not surprised. that and 90% of link players have no idea what the **** they're doing.
Lol tru dat, Link is probably the favorite character among n00bs. Then they say sumtin like: ''Im gonna spin slash you so that it sends you downways, BAM!''

The Plumber13

Smash Rookie
Why is samus only a middle tier character she has one of the best recoverys and she has combo potention out the wazzou and it just doesnt make sense and to top it off a lot of people play samus

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
No, a lot of people play Fox Falco and Sheik.
She is extemely versatile, but her combo abilities aren't better than many of those above her on the tier list. =/

salulos

Smash Rookie
iv havnt had any luck with searching but maybe someone else will-
anyone know where I can find info on how the tiers are acually made
i know it's based on tournement results, but im looking for the #s and stuff that go into it

and just incase you were wondering it's for a math project checking for the obvious correlation between character used and # of tourments won

Zink

Smash Champion
It's done back in the SBR, so the design is mysterious and scarey. There's probably a bit of simple debating when it comes down to close positions.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
Yeah, I doubt they rummage through tournament statistics to find the best characters. It's not really correct to say that tiers are based off tournament results, anyways. They're based off in-game attributes - how Falco's lasers can be used in battle, Marth's running speed, Mewtwo's wavedash, Fox's up smash, et cetera. These things are assembled into a tier list, and if we're accurate the tournament results should corroborate with our findings.

Edit: somehow the word "we" crept into my post. I'm not actually in the SBR.

salulos

Smash Rookie
i guess that's much more realistic than doing it the way i hoped they did
oh well
the only thing that that doesnt explain is why there are changes in the tiers over time,
maybe just when new stratagies/applications of certain moves become popular?

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Remember, just my opinions, so don't hate if you don't necessarily agree but...

Imo, I believe Marth has the potential to be the best overall character in the game, and I believe that Shiek is not Upper, but still Top Tier as well, no longer in the #1 seed for her, but I still believe she's tops.

I'm debating about Peach, because I don't think she is as good as Shiek or Marth to be ranked alongside them, for both Shiek and Marth to me, are reasonably better than Peach by a good margin. Also, I agree with MaskedMarth, tier listings should never be from just "tournament results" otherwise in a game like T5:DR someone like Nin plays Steve like he's top tier, if went from the tournament results with Nin, T5:DR would be Tops, but he sure aint.

One last thing, I really thought that the tier listing would've been fairly concrete by now, I mean, in other fighting games a tier listing, especially the Top Tier's are pretty much set in stone, what keeps changing it, especially the top 5?

CWolf20

Smash Journeyman
You forget that one player doesn't make a character top tier. Just because one guy can play Steve way better than everyone else doesn't make Steve good, it makes the player good.

A similar argument for Smash would be someone like Aniki. Extremely good player plays Link very well. Doesn't make Link good. In fact, there are very few Links who perform well consistently in tournaments.

The point of the tournament based results is looking at all these top players and seeing which character, ON AVERAGE, does the best. If there were 5 Links in the top 10 players in the world, then Link would be the best, but as it turns out, most of the best players in the world play Fox and Falco. Hence, they are on top of the tier list.

As far as Peach goes, you can argue exactly the same way. There are several really good Peach players at the top of tournament finishes, hence she is upper tier.

If the tier list was about individual matchups for the character, then all you would have to do is look at the character matchup chart, and there's your answer.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
but really, roy lacks combo's, KO moves, weight, recovery, his sweetspot kills the potential of all his moves (why is usmash, dtilt, and forward b are his only moves better than marth's), he suffers from the worst case of stunitis, and he's a fast faller, there is no way roy will reach top tier, he's lucky he's moved up this high

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you on pratically everything that you've said, and any smart person would know that Link is no higher than where he's placed just by playing him(*raises hand I'm a Link player), however I don't neccessarily believe that tournaments should be the "only" way to place a tier listing. If we looked back at a game like Tekken4, the only good Nina player in the US was Tom, however we placed Nina as a far #2 overall best character in T4, even though Tom was the only good Nina player, however we could see raw potential of a turtling Nina.

Same could be said with T5:DR, we have Mishimas in the Top 3 spots (USA Tier), however we don't really have any extremely dominant Mishimas(Especially Kaz and hes #3) in the US at all (Kane, JinKid, etc are all solid, but not S.K. solid).

Now I'm not saying that Peach isn't a great character, however I'm just curious in people's opinions if she's as good as Shiek and Marth to be ranked alongside them, since from what I can see, Shiek and Marth can do overall marginly better than her...maybe placing her by herself, because she isn't as strong overall as Shiek and Marth, however he she is also much stronger than those under her, so maybe placing her in a tier of her own? I don't know, however I will agree with where she's placed at this moment. Also, I still think Marth has the potential to be the best overall though, just my opinion.

Anyways, overall, I do agree with you though CWolf, the results of Fox and Falco being the most successful in tournaments cannot be denied, and I will agree with you that of this moment, Fox and Falco are clearly #1 and #2.

- Peace -

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
You can say what you will about Roy, but he's dangerous in the hands of someone who can handle him, Namely, Me. So get owned sometime and spread the Greatness of Roy.

Xx GuNz xX

Smash Journeyman
Double post is to ghey, as Roy is to sucky.

So what if that didn't make sense, I couldn't think of anything good enough.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This list is old and outdated. My inside sources tell me that this tier list is subject to change very soon.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
not until the release of brawl i've heard, but it will change drastically, probably one of the biggest changese between 2 tier lists ever....in this game

Link-NY

Smash Ace
there isnt much they can do for the tier list now i think >_> unless they place kirby bottom most tier. or just removing him permanently <_<

mood4food77

Smash Hero
kirby to the bottom, ganon to the top of mid, sheik and marth to top, staying in order, ICs, falcon, and samus (in that order) right under peach, and a couple of other moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom