• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tenative Evo Ruleset (Discussion Welcome)

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
The music thing is so strange.
I don't see why we can't just turn off the songs in question. That's such a simple fix,and it would allow for more stages.

What's everyone's opinion on the timer, surely it would go up rather than down?
Adding more time would be bad. Time-outs that take 5 minutes as according to 7 (which can easily happen with Rosaluma being a thing) allow for less time taken up, and time being taken up was a problem in Apex Top 8. I've actually contemplated whether or not it should be 4 minutes in the past -- with half the stocks of Melee, half the time isn't illogical, and it would likely increase the pace of matches due to wanting to get those stocks gone as fast as possible.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I don't see why we can't just turn off the songs in question. That's such a simple fix,and it would allow for more stages.
Because odds are EVO signed a contract with Nintendo already that locks everything in place. Mr. Wizard explicitly said he was under an NDA when pressed for details, so it's not too far fetched. We can still make our desires known so they can improve on it next year though. (I guess. IDK how future negotiations would work.)

Last edited:

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Because odds are EVO signed a contract with Nintendo already that locks everything in place. Mr. Wizard explicitly said he was under an NDA when pressed for details, so it's not too far fetched. We can still make our desires known so they can improve on it next year though. (I guess. IDK how future negotiations would work.)
Wait so does that mean the ruleset for Evo is already in place? Cause that means that no matter how much support we give to customs there is a big chance they wont show up until next years Evo

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Wait so does that mean the ruleset for Evo is already in place? Cause that means that no matter how much support we give to customs there is a big chance they wont show up until next years Evo
The stage list is completely locked at this point, yes. They can still shuffle which ones are starters vs. counterpicks, but the overall list of FD/Battlefield/Smashville/Delfino/Duck Hunt/Lylat/Halberd/T&C/Siege is immutable for EVO 2015.

The 5 minute time limit is also not up for discussion due to time considerations. Less is workable apparently (Mr. Wizard tweeted asking what people thought about 2s4m) but not more.

The rest (starters vs. counterpicks vs. maybe flss idklol, customs, etc.) is still open for discussion. It seems the major consideration is time, and nothing that requires internet.

Last edited:

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
I'm aware, but this seriously couldn't have been negotiated? I'm not saying they didn't try, but if they did, Nintendo must be even more stubborn than I thought.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Odds are it was all done a while ago, possibly even before Apex. And I'm pretty sure modifying a contract after it's been signed is no bueno.
Yeah definitely no bueno on that...wait before Apex? That's crazy how early they prepare

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Yeah definitely no bueno on that...wait before Apex? That's crazy how early they prepare
I'm completely guessing. But Apex was only two weeks ago and we only got to see the in-progress EVO rules for Smash 4 what, yesterday? (Or the day before, whatever.) It's entirely possible.

patrickthekid

Smash Cadet
In the case that customs aren't allowed in the tournament, does anyone think that Miis should be the exception? And if they do, then how so? Using the Apex ruleset really set them back. At least having the 1111,2222 and 3333 format will come a long way of helping them competively.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
In the case that customs aren't allowed in the tournament, does anyone think that Miis should be the exception? And if they do, then how so? Using the Apex ruleset really set them back. At least having the 1111,2222 and 3333 format will come a long way of helping them competively.
Can anyone really come up with any coherent reason not to allow the Miis to have the customs from the Custom Moveset Project other than "hurr durr me no likey miis?"

I can see why you might not allow height / weight modification, but allowing the Miis to have their moves seems almost essential. Their 1111 sets have no synergy, it's quite clear they were always designed assuming all of their moves were available.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Yeah, we should be able to use the generic builds with AT LEAST the base movesets or consistent number builds. That was a ******** decision by the Apex team in my opinion.
so freaking much this. restricting their moveset combinations are actually affecting their overall performance-I mean, it won't make them suddenly good, but giving Mii Swordfighter movere moveset options will at least not make it the undisputed worst character in the game. and Piston Punch is the only move anyone has issue with, so either Ban it or find a workaround.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Yeah, we should be able to use the generic builds with AT LEAST the base movesets or consistent number builds. That was a ******** decision by the Apex team in my opinion.
Try not to use ******** cause some people might be offended by that. And yeah it was a bad decision to not have basic builds

AccountsDept

Smash Cadet
the loser's portrait on the victory screen
NNID
Xeno
I think we're forgetting something here (disclaimer : this is my maybe inaccurate information stated)

NoA is handling our sponsorships, NoJ/Sakurai is handling game development.

That there is the problem. I'm sure if NoA was developing Smash they'd address plenty of concerns we've had for months about shields, rolls, speed, streaming, and a whole host of other things. I would wager that they would make huge strides to cater to the competitive community, but the problem is Sakurai and NoJ don't give nearly the magnitude of **** about us as NoA does. So, because they need to market and popularize their newest game because they need it to sell, they are forced to make Sm4sh (or brawl a few years ago.) have some sort of priority (i.e. Apex Streams, stopping the stream of Melee at Evo).

NoA wants to really make a change, but their hands are more-or-less tied. Who knows, maybe Smash 5 will be developed by Retro. Doesn't matter - as long as Sakurai's on the wheel, they'll be no effort to cater to the competitive scene from a pure development standpoint.

As far as the ruleset - **** it.

I'm glad customs are gaining traction, but 5min is the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Last edited:

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
People should get as offended by that as they should the words "stupid" and "dumb".
No. Search up ********. It's one of many terms for disabled people, and using it as an insult is much worse as you're making fun of the term, while stupid and dumb are almost made to be insults .

Anyways, Apex should have at least kept the 2222 3333 rule. Because without it, 2/3 Miis are garbage, and one is just barely usable. Brawler loses literally everything (Reocvery, damage racking, chasing, combos, kill moves), Gunner's Zoning is further limited, and while Swordfighter is mostly unchanged he was still horrible either way. I know they deserve to have all their sets, but there was no way anyone cold convince Apex to do that. And there's no reason to pull that rule anyways.

Last edited:

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
I don't think we need EVO as some grand experiment to see if customs are good or not.

We've been able to play with them for 4 months. We know they are good, or at least those who have played with them do.

EVO should have customs because it's just a better game with them. If we weren't confident about this, I'd obviously be against it.
So I started looking into customs with a sort of morbid curiosity since the consensus is basically "they're good" and from a lot of parties (you most definitely excluded) there is such an air of confidence in this statement they feel the need to downplay the intelligence and legitimacy for people with concerns (it literally happened to me the moment I opened my mouth).

Most of these feel like strait upgrades to a character's kit. Just strait upgrades. I mean in theory that's fine, since the majority of the cast has access to good customs (the ones I've tried, this unlock process is beyond stupid), but if that's true, could we here a little about how the cast looks post-custom? My first fear after playing with these is the rich get richer and the poor get poorer; customs come out, people make their discoveries, and since the cast are all moving upward at *roughly* the same rate, with meteoric rises only happening in cases like Palutena, Miis, Ganon (it sure felt that way), and maybe one or two others, won't we see even more rigidity in the tier list? While the nebulous B tier/C tier area will probably see a VAST overhaul, most of the toppest of tier characters in this game are so good because of their normals, aerial speed, and the combos those two allow. Diddy will not stop being Diddy, nor Shiek Shiek. In fact, I'd posit the assertion that they literally only get better from here when you let them replace or modify existing moves they use less often or that are overly niche for strait up better tech. Battering Banana combos and being able to drop Shieks side B for something better both come to my mind. If we're looking for variety we'd want to see characters get power-level appropriate upgrades, no? But I mean, if testing has proven we do, please share with me. I haven't had the opportunity to literally sit with all of this tech and do lab work.

I mean I'm optimistic we're taking lessons from Pokémon's absolute mess of a system and leaving the customs that people choose for their character as open information to both players going in; meta's based on "build guessing games" result in a lot of prediction based play and a lot of bad reads that just don't properly translate in non-turn based play, and I was afraid we were going to see incomplete information. That was baseless and I'm glad.

Moving on, though, what big name players have put their hands into the waters with customs? Who's not only putting lab time in with these, but winning events? I'd like their opinions on customs, because if anyone is going to discover how to abuse character's when these drop, it'll be them. And if people are already concerned about Diddy/Sheik, I'd hate to see what an even higher overall level of in-game power (via options) will be like. Rolling, next point where I'd like elaboration!

Power Creep. How much power creep do we get out of these customs? "None" is an incorrect answer because we are literally giving all characters new options, and almost all of them gain something from at least one of those options. I'm just curious if it's enough to care about, because often, it isn't. I mean power creep as a term only exists because persisting games like LoL and whatnot KEEP getting power increase after power increase until the game's fundamentals can't maintain the stress.

Put it this way. Take the bottom tier of a with-customs character tier list, and tier those characters next to without-customs the rest of the cast. If most/good chunk people are walking away with a +2 tier ladder increase or higher, the game miiight be worse off for this, because characters would be getting so much stronger the games fundamental principles would be warped because of it. But that's extremely unlikely.

My concerns are legitimate, they really are. The games been out plenty of time, but customs weren't even on the table. Even the game default was built with the idea that the majority of play would be with customs off, and this is the first time Nintendo even made a nod to competitive play what with For Glory and built in tournament support. This is a big deal. They may not have intended this, and that would mean that little to no true balancing work went into them and that with enough top player minds on the case a whole bunch of nasty abuse cases will bust right open.

Melee had over a decade to development with way less characters than us AND only one moveset each. Smash 4 has been out for a handful of months, and people already feel so concerned that the game might not develop as richly and deeply as it's predecessors (or how spectators find it camping/boring, yadda yadda) and are already feeling the need to innovate at the tournament level. While I see the whole Palutena/Miis angle, I feel like people are just experiencing too much false pressure to make big changes. Smash 4's scene is still an infant. We don't even have our Mangos, aMSas, or Bizzarro's yet. We don't understand our cast deeply and richly enough to even have strong tier list consensus (we'd like to think so, but come on. 4-5 months? I'd put money, customs or not, by the end of the year the diddy/shiek meta will bust wide open if you'd let the damn game grow for a minute). Can we not feel like the Smash 4 scene rides on this for a minute? It'd make open discussion about the topic a lot easier.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
No. Search up ********. It's one of many terms for disabled people, and using it as an insult is much worse as you're making fun of the term, while stupid and dumb are almost made to be insults.
Someone doesn't know his terminology.

Definition of "stupid": not intelligent; having or showing a lack of ability to learn and understand things.

Definition of "dumb": lacking the ability to speak.

Both of these words, especially "dumb", were at one point terms that weren't used in a slang way they are today, but rather as official labels for people. If you get offended by slang use of the word "********", but not those two words, then you're a hypocrite, plain & simple.

Most of these feel like strait upgrades to a character's kit. Just strait upgrades. I mean in theory that's fine, since the majority of the cast has access to good customs (the ones I've tried, this unlock process is beyond stupid), but if that's true, could we here a little about how the cast looks post-custom? My first fear after playing with these is the rich get richer and the poor get poorer; customs come out, people make their discoveries, and since the cast are all moving upward at *roughly* the same rate, with meteoric rises only happening in cases like Palutena, Miis, Ganon (it sure felt that way), and maybe one or two others, won't we see even more rigidity in the tier list? While the nebulous B tier/C tier area will probably see a VAST overhaul, most of the toppest of tier characters in this game are so good because of their normals, aerial speed, and the combos those two allow. Diddy will not stop being Diddy, nor Shiek Shiek. In fact, I'd posit the assertion that they literally only get better from here when you let them replace or modify existing moves they use less often or that are overly niche for strait up better tech. Battering Banana combos and being able to drop Shieks side B for something better both come to my mind. If we're looking for variety we'd want to see characters get power-level appropriate upgrades, no? But I mean, if testing has proven we do, please share with me. I haven't had the opportunity to literally sit with all of this tech and do lab work.
I don't get how having more characters being made viable would create "more rigidity". Don't more options & factors by default equal more versatility? I also don't see how you can acknowledge that the lower-tier characters are being improved upon while the higher-tier characters aren't really changing that much, yet at the same time can make the assessment of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. In the scenario presented, the poor are getting richer, while the rich are basically remaining static... and isn't that a good thing? The best characters keep what makes them great while the lesser characters get better to have a better chance at fighting against the best? That sounds like a great scenario to me.

Put it this way. Take the bottom tier of a with-customs character tier list, and tier those characters next to without-customs the rest of the cast. If most/good chunk people are walking away with a +2 tier ladder increase or higher, the game miiight be worse off for this, because characters would be getting so much stronger the games fundamental principles would be warped because of it. But that's extremely unlikely.
My concerns are legitimate, they really are. The games been out plenty of time, but customs weren't even on the table. Even the game default was built with the idea that the majority of play would be with customs off, and this is the first time Nintendo even made a nod to competitive play what with For Glory and built in tournament support. This is a big deal. They may not have intended this, and that would mean that little to no true balancing work went into them and that with enough top player minds on the case a whole bunch of nasty abuse cases will bust right open.
This is why I think it's a stroke of luck that the best characters don't seem to be benefiting the same way the not-so-great characters are. There's no way the team knew EXACTLY which characters were the best & worst and, in tandem, balanced the customs out the way they are (or, at least, it's not a very believable idea).

Melee had over a decade to development with way less characters than us AND only one moveset each. Smash 4 has been out for a handful of months, and people already feel so concerned that the game might not develop as richly and deeply as it's predecessors (or how spectators find it camping/boring, yadda yadda) and are already feeling the need to innovate at the tournament level. While I see the whole Palutena/Miis angle, I feel like people are just experiencing too much false pressure to make big changes. Smash 4's scene is still an infant. We don't even have our Mangos, aMSas, or Bizzarro's yet. We don't understand our cast deeply and richly enough to even have strong tier list consensus (we'd like to think so, but come on. 4-5 months? I'd put money, customs or not, by the end of the year the diddy/shiek meta will bust wide open if you'd let the damn game grow for a minute). Can we not feel like the Smash 4 scene rides on this for a minute? It'd make open discussion about the topic a lot easier.
You misunderstand. We don't want customs because we feel the game isn't going to develop (the people that say the game won't develop are just the haters), we want customs because we want to tap into the game's full potential as early as possible. The longer we go without them, the less time we have to develop a meta with them in mind -- and on top of that, the longer we go without them, the more used to the vanilla meta we'll be, and therefore the more opposition there will be against customs due to more people likely not wanting to step out of their comfort zone (read: we'll probably have more people with ZeRo's mentality). If we get them regulated NOW, though, we can minimalize the hassle and have more time to develop a customs-legal meta.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
So I started looking into customs with a sort of morbid curiosity since the consensus is basically "they're good" and from a lot of parties (you most definitely excluded) there is such an air of confidence in this statement they feel the need to downplay the intelligence and legitimacy for people with concerns (it literally happened to me the moment I opened my mouth).

I mean I'm optimistic we're taking lessons from Pokémon's absolute mess of a system and leaving the customs that people choose for their character as open information to both players going in; meta's based on "build guessing games" result in a lot of prediction based play and a lot of bad reads that just don't properly translate in non-turn based play, and I was afraid we were going to see incomplete information. That was baseless and I'm glad.

Moving on, though, what big name players have put their hands into the waters with customs? Who's not only putting lab time in with these, but winning events? I'd like their opinions on customs, because if anyone is going to discover how to abuse character's when these drop, it'll be them. And if people are already concerned about Diddy/Sheik, I'd hate to see what an even higher overall level of in-game power (via options) will be like. Rolling, next point where I'd like elaboration!

Power Creep. How much power creep do we get out of these customs? "None" is an incorrect answer because we are literally giving all characters new options, and almost all of them gain something from at least one of those options. I'm just curious if it's enough to care about, because often, it isn't. I mean power creep as a term only exists because persisting games like LoL and whatnot KEEP getting power increase after power increase until the game's fundamentals can't maintain the stress.

Lets say Diddy has a relative power level of 20 and and Mario has a power level of 10. Diddy is twice the strength of Mario. Lets say they each get +5 power from customs being added. Diddy has 25 and Mario has 15. Diddy is now only 5/3 the strength of Mario. Their power gap dropped. Your understanding of the math, if I understand your reasoning correctly, is flawed.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I think it boils down to impatience. It's easy for people who are emotionally invested in a discussion to fail to recognize when there are multiple audiences. They hear the same concerns and questions again from a different source, but think "Jesus, we just talked about this, are you stupid?" Hopefully as a community we can minimize this sort of communication breakdown moving forward.

Moving on, though, what big name players have put their hands into the waters with customs? Who's not only putting lab time in with these, but winning events? I'd like their opinions on customs, because if anyone is going to discover how to abuse character's when these drop, it'll be them.
Nairo is quite familar with them, as is NAKAT iirc? Dabuz and boss are loud proponents, as well as random regional voices like Bwett, DeLux, and others.

And hey, I'm no M2K, but I'm currently the best player in the St. Louis area based on our local results. (Flow-Yo is right on my tail though; competition is stiff!)

could we here a little about how the cast looks post-custom?
Here is My Tier List (with and without Customs).

While the nebulous B tier/C tier area will probably see a VAST overhaul, most of the toppest of tier characters in this game are so good because of their normals, aerial speed, and the combos those two allow. Diddy will not stop being Diddy, nor Shiek Shiek.
Absolutely. As I said in another post: Anyone who expect customs to turn the tier list upside down are in for a rude awakening.

Balance does improve, but things don't change that much. No one, imo, leapfrogs into the top 8, much less the top 2.

In fact, I'd posit the assertion that they literally only get better from here when you let them replace or modify existing moves they use less often or that are overly niche for strait up better tech. Battering Banana combos and being able to drop Shieks side B for something better both come to my mind. If we're looking for variety we'd want to see characters get power-level appropriate upgrades, no? But I mean, if testing has proven we do, please share with me. I haven't had the opportunity to literally sit with all of this tech and do lab work.
The good news is, Diddy has trash customs and Sheik has mostly trash customs.

Diddy's neutral B options are trash.
Diddy's side B options are pretty good moves, but nothing compared to default Monkey Flip's godliness.
Diddy's up B options seem like dubious side-grades at best.
Diddy's Battering Banana Peel is the only one worth considering, and I think default is generally better since it can setup smashes and grabs.

Sheik's Piercing Needles are really good (shield damage bonus), but do less damage, have less range, and you can only use 3. Neat, but probably not good. Paralyzing Needle is just bad.
Sheik's Gravity Grenade is "well, better than the default I guess, but still not a move you should ever use." The third is pretty lackluster as far as I can tell.
Sheik's up B options are interesting but not worth giving up Vanish's recovery range and KO power for.
Sheik's down B options are both really good moves. But, like Diddy side B, they are nothing compared to Bouncing Fish.

Note how almost any character in the game would gladly trade most the moves in their movesets for Back Flip, Battering Banana Peel, Piercing Needles, or Pisces. But Diddy and Sheik just laugh and leave them in the trash.

Most of these feel like strait upgrades to a character's kit. Just strait upgrades.
So, there are actually extremely few straight upgrades--even if you count stuff like Kong Cyclone, Dark Fists, and Jumbo Hoop. (Moves which are so good the disadvantages can be ignored.)

Many moves that people THOUGHT were pure upgrades have actually shown to have serious disadvantages. Gust Cape is a good example--it's less damage, a full 4 frames slower, and significantly laggier. Mario has to actually pay quite a bit to gain that windbox...

The truth is, on average customs are balanced very conservatively. You'd expect the default (and each custom) to be the best option on average 33% of the time. But when I went down the list for my personal preferences, I marked the default as the best option over 60% of the time.

An extremely valid concern to have had. To be blunt, anyone who wants tourney rules where customs are chosen without the opponents knowledge (hard to do on Wii U anyway!) is just wrong.

There must be complete information in this sense. This isn't poker or pokemon.

Yes, the increase is pretty tame. But more importantly, this isn't a repeatable event.

We aren't going to be asking for like, more customs next year.

Melee had over a decade to development with way less characters than us AND only one moveset each. Smash 4 has been out for a handful of months, and people already feel so concerned that the game might not develop as richly and deeply as it's predecessors (or how spectators find it camping/boring, yadda yadda) and are already feeling the need to innovate at the tournament level. While I see the whole Palutena/Miis angle, I feel like people are just experiencing too much false pressure to make big changes.
Anyone who is taking the attitude that we "NEED" customs to "FIX" Smash 4 has an entirely wrong and poisonous attitude.

Smash 4 is a fine game without customs, a truly incredible game. And if you don't think so, it's extremely unlikely that just Palutena or WFT becoming more viable is going to change that.

But it is a better game with customs not banned, mostly because of the modest balance improvements to several otherwise low-tiers. I don't want customs because I dislike Smash 4; I want them because I love it, and would prefer to play it competitively at every character's maximum potential.

Last edited:

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Thanks. That's all I wanted. I'm a lot more optimistic so far. Though I do argue after we get customer passed it WOULD be cool to offer "vanilla" as a side event. It can be seen as its own challenge :v

Foozal

Smash Apprentice
I'd be happy if they just implemented the custom moveset project

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
I am against customs right now because they are untested in all formats.

Most if not all testing has been done in singles but what about doubles? Will we have another potential Pika/GnW situation? We do mot know because nobody is testing these things yet.

ZSS is not that high on the tier list. That is insane.

After more work and testing has been done, we can talk about customs but for right now, on the biggest stage, we do not need someone to blow the community up with an exploit nobody else has learned about. Smash 4 is a very well made and balanced title as it is. For now I say, let it shine.

Come next APEX, those decisions can be completely reversed if thee evidence is in favor of such action.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I am against customs right now because they are untested in all formats.

Most if not all testing has been done in singles but what about doubles? Will we have another potential Pika/GnW situation? We do mot know because nobody is testing these things yet.

ZSS is not that high on the tier list. That is insane.

After more work and testing has been done, we can talk about customs but for right now, on the biggest stage, we do not need someone to blow the community up with an exploit nobody else has learned about. Smash 4 is a very well made and balanced title as it is. For now I say, let it shine.

Come next APEX, those decisions can be completely reversed if thee evidence is in favor of such action.
So you don't want something allowed because og potential breaking combos? We may as well ban every character before an exploit that breaks them comes! Or ban Mii so that we don't deal with their potential BS, and so nobody can get mad when it's found.

Or we could ban the exploit when it comes.

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
I want it to be thoroughly tested because we are on the big stage with Nintendo eyes watching. This is not a local, it needs to be of the highest caliber.

Until then, let it go. Why is that so hard to understand? The Pika/GnW stuff was found early at local Japanese events. We banned it long before APEX. As of right now, we need to continue testing, work it thoroughly, then allow it if thee evidence suggests it is a positive progression.

I want customs, but I want it done the right way.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I want it to be thoroughly tested because we are on the big stage with Nintendo eyes watching. This is not a local, it needs to be of the highest caliber.

Until then, let it go. Why is that so hard to understand? The Pika/GnW stuff was found early at local Japanese events. We banned it long before APEX. As of right now, we need to continue testing, work it thoroughly, then allow it if thee evidence suggests it is a positive progression.

....we have about 4-5 months before EVO.

If 5 months isn't enough time to test custom moves, then what pray tell is?

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
6 months. As long as it takes. But really it is not time, it comes down to creativity. Nobody is testing doubles because nobody thinks of it. If it goes untested for 9 months, then it will be 9 months before I will change my position.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team

This attitude doesn't make sense to me. In what sense are customs less tested than non-customs? The game is pretty new so there's still a lot we don't know sure. Why do you think we know so much less about customs than about everything else? As Thinkaman was very clear about, we've actually spent a whole lot of time with customs relative to the total time we've spent with the game. Our incredibly extensive testing has been almost purely positive. Sure we could allow them, something super broken totally unforeseen by any of us could come out of the woodwork, and it would "ruin EVO". We could also not allow them, Diddy Kong could take 6 of the top 8 placings, and the game could look like a joke. We could also do whatever and something completely broken that you can do either way could dominate the tournament and make the game look like a joke. If you believe in the quality of the game you don't believe any of these is likely to happen (I don't), but it's just the truth of playing a game less than a year old that we *really* don't know and could always be surprised by a disappointing outcome. We can only proceed based on our best evidence. The best evidence suggests that the game is improved substantially by having customs legal. Our highest probability of a successful event is to allow customs since the best game is the most likely to produce the best event. There are no guarantees, but there's no possible thing we can do to have guarantees.

Your argument about doubles doesn't really make sense to me. Doubles isn't played at EVO. Even if it was, we have explored it to about the same extent in customs on as customs off (that's not much but that's because team formats are less popular by the year in this community). The most powerful moves in either format seem to be default Oil Panic and default Pocket, and it doesn't seem close at all as those two moves are just ridiculous (the patch didn't change much about that reality). I'm not seeing how anything in this doubles situations supports banning customs.

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
My attitude does not make sense to you? There is only one non-biased reason to disagree with customs and that is naiveté. That is what I am arguing. I am not against customs as I have already stated and it shows that you do not understand me in what seems like an attempt to persuade me into thinking customs are good.

Your argument is not exactly fulfilling right now. You will not admit that adequate testing has been done, only that what has been tested is pointing to positivity. Which I already know. And no, doubles has not been thoroughly tested. I did not know doubles was not being done at EVO, however and that one fact helps your argument a lot but also makes me not want to go anymore. Lmao.

Essentially what I am saying is that testing is not purely done by a committee or small group. It should be run at events and worked into our community because that is what is best. It will weed a lot out. I certainly do not want anything horrible happening on thee EVO stage.

Since you brought up Diddy, which is not exactly an issue for me, all evidence points to what you said as not a likely possibility at all. There were shockingly few Diddy Kong's at that level and the diversity was excellent for a game only a few months old or even more, really. But, I am not here to argue what we know (that Diddy is not as horrible as people made him out to be), I am here to argue thee unknown and custom moves currently still have a lot of questions to answer. Until we see what they have to offer on the smaller scale at a consistent level, I will not have a chance to change my position. I am ok with you not understanding and wanting custom moves in because I want them in as well, I just go with what I know before my heart and wait for my heart to be justified by what I know. Right now, the two do not agree.

I am simply not of thee idea that we should throw custom moves into a rule set as delicate and large as EVO on the first go around with so little information. Hell, as of right now, we do not know how well customs will be received by the community. Or the viewer for that matter. It is too young, it needs to develop. Now, if in two or three months from now we have some experience, and on a larger scale of knowledge can bring it to the table, then my stance will be lets do it. But if a decision were to be made today, I would say there is not enough backing that decision. Sorry.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
My attitude does not make sense to you?
Your attitude is basically "guilty until proven innocent," and no, it doesn't make sense to me. If you were to apply that attitude toward the game in a broad sense, then the meta would have started with 1 character and 1 stage and only expanded as each additional piece of the game is "justified" in your eyes.

As far as I'm concerned, the purpose of thoroughly testing customs is to see if there's any reason why they won't work. The default assumption should be that they do. Once I saw all of the effort made toward solving the logistical hurdles involved I was 100% on board.

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
@ G ghaudephaede010 : you are going about this exactly backwards. We cannot and do not apply "guilty until proven innocent" to elements of competitive play. How are we supposed to prove them innocent? At locals? But locals want to prep people for Evo. They're going to be running the Evo ruleset, because if they run customs, then their region is hosed when Evo comes around and has a completely different meta. Bottom-up is virtually impossible to pull off. What's more, "something broken might be discovered"? In the last two weeks, two different characters have been found to have jab infinites, or close to it. What if Mewtwo comes out - should we ban him until we're sure nothing is broken? And, by the way, we can't be sure - how long was it before some of the newest tech was found in Melee?

And how do we prove it innocent? Now we've got considerably less people testing in a tournament environment, considerably less people getting used to the strong (but not broken) elements that you can counter if you know how, and generally people learning to play without them. I mean, to put it bluntly, if the only things we're accepting are tournament data, how do you:
a) prove that Norfair is broken in competitive play when legal
b) prove that Duck Hunt is not broken in competitive play when banned

Well, in the case of a), it's easy: start counterpicking people there and show them your broken strategy. In the case of b)... Uh... How do we get tournament data on a stage that's not allowed in tournaments?

The only reasonable way to go about this is to start with innocent until proven guilty, and ban elements as they are shown to be "guilty". There simply is no other way.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
EVO should have customs for the same reason that EVO should have Smash 4 in the first place.

There are some people who have said that EVO should not have Smash 4 because it's "too new", "not competitively tested", and "needs to prove itself."

Those people are crazy.

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
There are some people who have said that EVO should not have Smash 4 because it's "too new", "not competitively tested", and "needs to prove itself."
Don't forget "It's uncompetitive," "It's a party game," and "It's a boring HOO HAH snoozefest." :^)

Last edited:

PurpleWeeaboo

Smash Rookie
Way I see it, the game's still in a very early stage to where verdicts of it being competitive or not means little.

In regards to people saying It's too boring, I have to admit the players make it boring, not the characters picked.

I look at melee and I couldn't care less if Fox, Sheik, etc. is picked. As long as the players are at top performance and make the match appealing to watch then there's nothing going wrong.

In smash4 I understand with less stocks it turns into a more defensive game, but regardless of the amount of stocks I still see players in this state.

Winning of course is the goal for the player, but for smash4 to live on as a game with reputable spectate support, the metagame has to transition into something more fast-paced and exciting.

In short, smash4 I feel isn't accepted because most cases Its a little boring to watch.

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Way I see it, the game's still in a very early stage to where verdicts of it being competitive or not means little.

In regards to people saying It's too boring, I have to admit the players make it boring, not the characters picked.

I look at melee and I couldn't care less if Fox, Sheik, etc. is picked. As long as the players are at top performance and make the match appealing to watch then there's nothing going wrong.

In smash4 I understand with less stocks it turns into a more defensive game, but regardless of the amount of stocks I still see players in this state.

Winning of course is the goal for the player, but for smash4 to live on as a game with reputable spectate support, the metagame has to transition into something more fast-paced and exciting.

In short, smash4 I feel isn't accepted because most cases Its a little boring to watch.
of course is boring to watch, for most characters aside from diddy and others is very very hard to kill, plus stupid di saves you from everything. Thank God vectoring is gone, could you imagine how boring the game would have turn?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Maybe I'm jaded, but by the time Brawl came out I was pretty bored with watching Sheik in Melee. Sheik players continued to advance the character, but I just stopped finding Sheik matches very entertaining as a spectator.

Over the years, I've slowly felt the same way about Fox. Even when Fox players are creative, I just can't shake the feeling of having seen it all before. Falcon is similar; "This guy is doing cool stuff I've seen before."

Meanwhile, I think high-level Falco and top-level Marth play is still quite interesting. It's ironic since I hate playing against Marth the most.

Peach and Jigglypuff are like watching Brawl. I enjoy it just fine, but I imagine many others don't, and their matchups feel like a different game. Hungrybox is great, but I actually always found the older Jiggs like Mango and King more entertaining.

ICs is neutral game cancer. As a spectator I can adore the novelty, but the moment there is more than 1 ICs in the top 16 I'm changing the channel.

amsa's Yoshi is the best thing to happen to Melee in years.

My Smash 4 "spectator tier list" would be weird, in part because the game is so new and in part because I genuinely love watching "slow" characters like Rosalina, Villager, Pac-Man, Mega Man, WFT, and Duck Hunt.

I think Sonic, Pikachu, and Gunner are the least interesting characters to watch, but I've seen cool matches with all 3.

Diddy, thankfully, is pretty fun to watch imo. Sheik can be, depends heavily on the player and matchup. ZSS, Fox, and Ness can be great. Yoshi, Falcon, Ganon, and Palutena (customs only) are probably the best imo.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
My Smash 4 "spectator tier list" would be weird, in part because the game is so new and in part because I genuinely love watching "slow" characters like Rosalina, Villager, Pac-Man, Mega Man, WFT, and Duck Hunt.

I think Sonic, Pikachu, and Gunner are the least interesting characters to watch, but I've seen cool matches with all 3.

Diddy, thankfully, is pretty fun to watch imo. Sheik can be, depends heavily on the player and matchup. ZSS, Fox, and Ness can be great. Yoshi, Falcon, Ganon, and Palutena (customs only) are probably the best imo.
That's one thing I love about Smash 4. There are so many characters and Nintendo tried to make it balanced (for the most part! don't kill me anyone reading this who doesn't agree) so at this point most of the characters are insanely fun to watch cause people are still inventing new ways to play with these characters

Top Bottom