• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tell me about the Brawl scene in your area.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'm interested in knowing what makes you happy/concerns you about the Brawl scene in your area.

Is it big or small?
Do some characters dominate more than others?
Does character usage in your area break trends?
What characters lack mains in your area?
How easy is it to get to tournament venues?
Are they affordable?
What's the frequency of the tournaments in your area?
Are there large disparities in skill levels?
Stage philosophies?

The list can go on and on.

My area reaches between the Gold Coast and Brisbane in Queensland Australia, and we regularly have tournaments in one or the other. Times between tournaments is inconsistent at times, though we try to have 2 a month, sometimes 3. Tournament showings average at about 20 people I think.

We have 0 Wario mains, 0 Dedede mains and 0 Ice Climbers.

Tournament venues are becoming easier to get to as we find better places. For me, accessibility is a big thing and we try really hard to make them affordable.

Lucario1337

Smash Journeyman
Well in my direct area im really the only good brawler :/. In my state theres actually a tourny going to be held there thats listed on the tourny listings page. AKA Indiana.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Is it big or small? Puddle vs Ocean, we're the puddle...
Do some characters dominate more than others? Sonic, Dedede
Does character usage in your area break trends? Not sure
What characters lack mains in your area? Metaknight
How easy is it to get to tournament venues? Refer below vv
Are they affordable? Refer below v
What's the frequency of the tournaments in your area? ZERO
Are there large disparities in skill levels? Not really
Stage philosophies?

Extra Questions:
How many are you? 6 intermediate smashers and 3 scrubs
Are you trying to influence others? Yes, attempting to bring forth Smash in PH (which is full of Tekken tourney's)
Preferring a modification of Brawl? Brawl+ and soon to be Project: M
Smash games constantly played? Brawl+, Melee and 64 (no vBrawl)

I've started living in PH now since they want me to have college there so yeah.
Brawl and Melee scene is dead, so I only live on Brawlfests (yes, tourneywise only)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
It's decent sized. The actual IL players are decent, but the real competition comes with the MI and WI players that come in. lain, Judge, Anther, Hunger, Panda, Omni, etc are at almost all of our tournaments.

The venues change, but for the most part they're fairly easy to get to, even though Chicago's a big city. They could be a little cheaper, 7$ venue fee (last time I was at a tourney), then 10 bucks for each event. We have a decent range of characters, mainly top/higher tiers though.

I can't really think of any of the good characters that don't have any representation. We have 2 MKs, some Snakes, Falco, a bunch of Warios, a D3, one Diddy I think, a Marth, Idk about G&W, a Pika, and then from there down we have one of almost every character.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I'd like to talk about my entire country. It's an area the size of, what, Maryland (roughly) and there's only like 15 active competitive players (the Danish Nintendo community pretty much gave up anything about Smash when Brawl came out, but I believe it has more to do with Wii's casual image than Brawl) :(
Anyway, we play a lot more Melee than Brawl, so I guess I'll talk about Smash in general :p
Currently the best player mains Meta Knight, so that's no suprise. The 2nd (or maybe 3rd) best mains Ness lol.
As you can probably guess, most characters in both games are without mains, but almost all of them are used as secondaries/for casualies.

Actual tournaments are not really being held in Denmark. Last year, when our "community" decided to get a little serious about Smash, we began going to tournaments in Sweden and other European countries (and get ***** by everyone :p).
"Tournaments" in Denmark are mostly just casual smashfests held once in a while where we might just decide to throw a little tournament when we're there.

As for rules we pretty much just stick to SBR's ruleset, but recently there has been some dispute over stage striking vs random pick :p

황미영

Smash Champion
I would attempt to describe our area, but I'm too ignorant about it. Maybe someone else can. ;D

WE DA BEST! Jk. xD

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Is it big or small?

I go to tournaments in WI and IL. WI has little to no tournament scene, I blame my state for supporting so many First Person Shooters over fighting games. Even the Street Fighter community complains about WI.

There are so many Wario's around WI/IL, MK doesn't really dominate, Snake shows up more than MK does.

I surprised Lucario gets used, I think including myself there is a total of 3 Lucario mains. Ganondorf has 5 mains, that's frigging ridiculous.

Zero Suit Samus, Pikachu, not sure on the rest, mostly higher tiered see more play that lower tiered, except Ganondorf lol.

I have to travel out of state to get to anything. WI needs more tournaments to be going on.

Are they affordable?

Easily affordable. $10 isn't a whole lot for singles, it used to be $5.

Monthly mostly, my friends and me do a Bimonthly small tournament at Sponge's house to help us work on improving.

Since I place lower I would be on the lower end of the skill totem poll. Ally and Lain show up and take 1-2. Skill does vary I'd have to say.

Stage philosophies?

The stage list is so dang conservative, I think it might be the TO's wanting more neutrals to be played but still, I think we have a total of 8-9 legal stages. :/

Ol-Jeb

Smash Apprentice
An ol' shack out in Antarctica, the last frontier.
Brawl scene? In my area? HA!

My area as of right now consists of the Shepherd University campus and a small area surrounding it. Short answer: my friends and I ARE the scene around here >_<.

There was a small tourney held here back in like october. It went fine except there were like four people who insisted on bringing the big melee players into the brawl scene. They got trashed both in-game and in-words. But I digress.

Honestly there isn't much of a scene around here, its sad really.
There's plenty to be had for sure within about....oh say an hour or so's drive. So that's promising :D

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Virtually non-existant.

It doesn't help that in my school of 1400 people, I'm literally the only good smash player. At all.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
There was only me saviorslegacy and nicalobe around Portsmouth, then there was no nicalobe... nor saviorslegacy. Now just me... with a mission....

I wanna move to Cincinnati or Springfield ;[[[[

sammy p

Smash Lord
about 2 hours in every direction around me, there is no one.... hahahhaha ive got no one to play with, which might explain why i suck so much. but with saying that, i AM the best in my area XDXD
ummmmm im the only smashers i really know are Pit, Luigi, Fox, and Wolf mains. not a huge variety to work against lol

.Marik

is a social misfit
We are a very active and skilled region.

Even though most of the tournaments take place in Toronto, the entire province of Ontario is basically one scene, and Americans tend to underestimate us because we're Canadian.

Our top players do very well at American nationals, Melee or Brawl. Most of us don't have that money to spend, though.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I'm fortunate enough to be about an hour from a good smash scene (Dallas, TX). There are actually several people at the college I go to that play, but only 1 or 2 other players can be really considered 'good'. Challenging competition isn't a problem in Dallas though with players like Dojo, DMG, and Hylian around.

I've been in that "Middle of Nowhere" scenario though, and I can say that it sucks, but it is not guaranteed that you'll suck as a player because of it. What it does mean is that you'll have to work on your match up knowledge, because that was my biggest problem moving here.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
We're of an average size. Our monthlies usually gather 25+ people. Canada's West Coast scene is growing, with Alberta being the strongest (thanks SuPeRbOoM, lmao)

Were we to travel, our top players would leave a nice impression on American tournaments. SuPeRbOoM already left his, with a 7th place spot at Tourney Play 3. With us closing the gap in skill level, we're pretty tough. Smaller than other regions, but tough.

We're active, and lulzy.

.Marik

is a social misfit
We're of an average size. Our monthlies usually gather 25+ people. Canada's West Coast scene is growing, with Alberta being the strongest (thanks SuPeRbOoM, lmao)

Were we to travel, our top players would leave a nice impression on American tournaments. SuPeRbOoM already left his, with a 7th place spot at Tourney Play 3. With us closing the gap in skill level, we're pretty tough. Smaller than other regions, but tough.

We're active, and lulzy.
Get that shit out of here, we'd still **** you guys. <3

tocador

Smash Lord
I live in the central part of brazil and here we have a basically non-existant smash scene. The few tourneys we have here here(3 maybe 4 a year) dont actually have more than 20 entrants and its really sad =/.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Almost nonexistent beyond personal skirmishes between friends. I figure that it has much to do with the limited online portion of Brawl, since most of my close friends are active in the FPS and other interesting online titles.

Within my own circle, its usually me who hypes my friends to get together and play a couple rounds.

Edit: I'd be happy to play one of you guys given the oppurtunity, I'm decent with almost all the characters but in honesty, I can get pretty mean with Lucario, DK, and Samus.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer

We're active, and lulzy.
SuperBoom left a nice impression on me, almost 4-stocking my Sheik at Genesis (It was a crew battle, he had 1 stock left when I came in).

Lord Vaynard

Smash Cadet
is It Big Or Small? Puddle Vs Ocean, We're The Puddle...
Do Some Characters Dominate More Than Others? Sonic, Dedede
Does Character Usage In Your Area Break Trends? Not Sure
What Characters Lack Mains In Your Area? Metaknight
How Easy Is It To Get To Tournament Venues? Refer Below Vv
Are They Affordable? Refer Below V
What's The Frequency Of The Tournaments In Your Area? Zero
Are There Large Disparities In Skill Levels? Not Really
Stage Philosophies?

Extra Questions:
How Many Are You? 6 Intermediate Smashers And 3 Scrubs
Are You Trying To Influence Others? Yes, Attempting To Bring Forth Smash In Ph (which Is Full Of Tekken Tourney's)
Preferring A Modification Of Brawl? Brawl+ And Soon To Be Project: M
Smash Games Constantly Played? Brawl+, Melee And 64 (no Vbrawl)

I've Started Living In Ph Now Since They Want Me To Have College There So Yeah.
Brawl And Melee Scene Is Dead, So I Only Live On Brawlfests (yes, Tourneywise Only)
I Can Attest To That!!!

Meccs

@Meccs_
(CT)
small
not really from what I've seen
idk, I haven't seen that many MKs I guess.
I've only been to two tourneys, so idrr...
really easy
yep
rare - this is the most annoying thing, there are rarely tourneys here...
I wouldn't say so.

(general town area etc.)
Nonexistant.
just me and one other person, who stopped playing smash so it's pretty much jsut me from what I can tell...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
In my area?

I could go on and on.

There's definetly alot of tourney held in Houston, in fact we are going to be holding a HOBO tourney on Saturday which I will attend on my add.

I can't really say which character mains I see the most but by my region I see that it's definetly in between Zero Suit Samus and Fox.

As for them being affordable, they are so friggin affordable, (cuz I work lol). $5 for singles, $10 for doubles.

As for attendance, it's definetly huge, roughly around some 15 to 40 fellow smashers which is a good thing in my area. ( At least in HOBO's). I sometimes hold my own little tourneys consisting around say 12, not bad I guess.

As for stage legality well.... don't get me started, but I'll just say we have a fair number of legal and neutral stages so.... yea.

Overall, Houston is a great city to attend tourneys and find new smashers to challenge with so yea.....

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I'm talking about the whole Dutch tourney scene, since we're even smaller than New York by itself I think :p...

Is it big or small?
Small, compared to other countries, there's only 10 players MAX who can compete in other countries in the EU.

Not really.

It surely breaks (roughly said) the American trend with MK, example: there's only one MK my Ike get's ***** by, and that's Jumpman's, should give an idication on how MK's are over here. Our character picks are very varied.

Lucario, Lucas, Olimar and Pikachu mostly I think.

Very easy, when it's centered in The Netherlands, you travel 1,5 hours MAX.

Are they affordable?
Yes, about 15/20 Euros per tourney.

Varies, but mostly every 2 months.

It's pretty much this:

Power Rankings, tiers in no particular order.
SS: Istudy(IC's/Diddy, Mr. R(Marth).
S: Cenel(Snake), Gregs(Falco), Jumpman(MK), Kaak(G&W)
A: Nikenick(Pit), S1-14(Ness/Mario), Skippo(?..), ssj5goten(Fox), T(DDD/Wolf)
B: Aqua(MK), Chair(Wario/Marth), Gymmo(DDD), Indo(TL), Kodama(Snake), Lesje(?..), LuLLo(ME!!..Ike), Xonar(Falco), Yaay(?..)

Stage philosophies?
Not much to say, we have Norfair banned, which sucks, and we prefer to play on Neutrals rather than CP's from what I've seen and experienced. Mostly it's Smashville.

Overall the Dutch scene is pretty cool, it's nice to see each other at each tourney we go to, it's binding actually :). We don't experience MK problems like the Americans do and have a varied representation of chars, the only downside of this little country is the lack of tourneys, even if we got a tourney every month we'd be happy.

Top Bottom