• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Fortress 2

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Pyro is bad at range

play a map like cp_granary or well and you'll see what I mean

Most competitive teams run medic, soldier x2, scout x2, demoman.
Who cares about 6v6?

It's all about 24/7 12v12 CP_Egypt.

M@v

Subarashii!
The atomizer makes me want to shout in pure joy. Slap a force-a-nature with it and you'll feel like your superman; you can get anywhere.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Just added you. I'm bad at the game but willing to learn how to improve.
Gave the coaching mode a try the other day with a friend who hadn't played in years. It's actually pretty fun.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Gave the coaching mode a try the other day with a friend who hadn't played in years. It's actually pretty fun.
Thanks for the tip! I will try this out! :)

Also, I played a pretty epic game of capture point on the map 'Gorge' last night. Basically, my team rushed the middle/third point and we captured it with little resistance. But then the enemy team (blue) was camping with sentries and stuff at the 2nd point so it was difficult for us to take it. Eventually, the game went on and we still hadn't captured the 2nd point so I uber charged a friendly heavy and we went to town! I don't think any of our teammates helped us out there...since him and I captured the point. (But I did see a few friendly engineers move up their sentries for support after that.)

Then some of our teammates captured the last point and we rushed into their spawn and killed all of them. So much fun! Epic game too!

Also, I like the 'flare gun' secondary that the Pyro has. Good for long distances and for runners/heavies.

M@v

Subarashii!
Apparently the new flare gun's feature is an alt fire that lets you detonate it mid-flight. Drawback is the pyro takes more damage from his own explosive weapons. You can use the detonator to give yourself a jump boost.

Back to the atomizers for sec. Get that and the FaN.

Jump->jump->Shoot FaN downward once->Jump->Shoot FaN downward again.

Have fun getting pretty much anywhere that was only accessible by rocket/sticky jumping before.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Thanks for the tip! I will try this out! :)

Also, I played a pretty epic game of capture point on the map 'Gorge' last night. Basically, my team rushed the middle/third point and we captured it with little resistance. But then the enemy team (blue) was camping with sentries and stuff at the 2nd point so it was difficult for us to take it. Eventually, the game went on and we still hadn't captured the 2nd point so I uber charged a friendly heavy and we went to town! I don't think any of our teammates helped us out there...since him and I captured the point. (But I did see a few friendly engineers move up their sentries for support after that.)

Then some of our teammates captured the last point and we rushed into their spawn and killed all of them. So much fun! Epic game too!

Also, I like the 'flare gun' secondary that the Pyro has. Good for long distances and for runners/heavies.
I was there and I was getting owned :awesome:

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
I actually do have it, but I thought that the splash damage was how Soldiers were able to get kills with rockets

Soldier Guide 101:

Aim for their feet, or more precisely, where their feet will be at the point of impact.

Three benefits to aiming at the feet.

Aim correctly and you got a direct hit with the rocket launcher, if they move a bit or you mis-aim, you still get the splash damage on them.

Makes it a lot harder for pyros to reflect them back at you. They need to look up and crouch or move forward. It forces them to actually aim with their airblast.

If you hit correctly, you will launch the enemy into the air. Every class (except the scout I believe) has no control over their character once they're airborne (mostly). For the entire time they are in the air, you should be able to accurately predict where they'll be. With some practice, you should be able to hit airborne targets with ease with your rocket launcher. Even if you can't, the shotgun does a good job.

This also works against anyone who's airborne for other reasons (jumped from a height, rocketjumped etc.) The only difference is, that they'll have control over their horizontal movement, but they'll still fall at the exact same vertical speed.

How to aim at their feet?

Heights. Having the height advantage is a soldier's best friend. If you're up on a high ledge, everyone's feet below you are easily visible and you should be able to pop them up easily, but no enemy soldiers can do the same. If an enemy soldier is at a higher point than you, you've lost. Gain the height advantage. Even if a ledge isn't available, jump before you fire. Any height advantage makes a world of a difference.

Also consider what they're doing. If they're a sniper and standing still, they're most likely going to keep staying still. Just aim at their feet. If they're a pyro chasing after a teammate, they're bound to keep heading in that direction. Consider the distance you are away from the pyro and his movement speed, and lead your shot for where you think he'll be.

TL;DR

Get the height advantage
Keep the height advantage
Lead shot at a distance.

Use the rocket launcher:

At people's feet
to launch them skywards
against airborne enemies.

Splash damage is neat, but anti-air is where the rocket launcher really shines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4mEqL64IIU

Quick youtube search just to show what I mean. You'll notice how useful airshots are, and how he generally keeps to high points in maps.

Longer than I wanted it to be, but I hope it helps.

M@v

Subarashii!
In speaking of the detonator, I had the pleasure of actually finding it as soon as I got on yesterday :awesome:

Anyway, what it does is simple. It's exactly like a regular flare gun minus 2 features: 1. It makes a loud screaming noise like a firework being shot as it flies. 2. Besides hitting your opponent directly like the regular flare gun, you can right click to detonate the flare early, causing everything within a small blast radius of the flare to catch on fire and take damage. The only draw back is that you can hurt yourself with it if you shoot like right at your feet(roughly 40 damage). And its not even really a drawback because the pyro can get an extra small jump with it in the same way a scout can with the FaN. Just jump then shoot the detonator into the ground.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
What was the downside to using it? +25% fire dam taken or something?

•Col•

Smash Champion
What was the downside to using it? +25% fire dam taken or something?
The only drawback is that the Detonator itself does 25% more damage to yourself.... So not a big deal.

Also, if a person is on fire when you hit them with the regular flare gun, it becomes a Crit, while if you hit someone with the Detonator while a person is on fire, it's only a mini-crit.

M@v

Subarashii!
No. All it is is that if you hit yourself with it, you'll take 25% more explosive damage from it than the enemy does if it you hit them with it. So basically it does more damage to you when you go to jump with it then it does when you use it against the enemy.

Also, say you hit an enemy with this , then hit them again while they are on fire. Detonator only does mini-crits instead of crits like the flare gun would in that situation. I don't know why they don't mention that in the drawbacks though.

EDIT:And wow way to ninja my *** Sam.

•Col•

Smash Champion
No. All it is is that if you hit yourself with it, you'll take 25% more explosive damage from it than the enemy does if it you hit them with it. So basically it does more damage to you when you go to jump with it then it does when you use it against the enemy.

Also, say you hit an enemy with this , then hit them again while they are on fire. Detonator only does mini-crits instead of crits like the flare gun would in that situation. I don't know why they don't mention that in the drawbacks though.
You're too slow.

M@v

Subarashii!
I joined the group too

And I found the Soda Popper. Too bad I'll never get to use it though seeing as I'll never get hang of Scout.
I'll trade you for it if you want. Scout is one of my most played classes. :cool:

On that same note, if anyone gets the new spy revolver I'd be willing to trade for that too.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'll trade you for it if you want. Scout is one of my most played classes. :cool:

On that same note, if anyone gets the new spy revolver I'd be willing to trade for that too.
What would you give for it? I use Medic, Pyro, Heavy, and Soldier the most

Wow me

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I have been playing this game since 07 and have never once found a hat through drops. All of my hats have been traded for, bought in packs from the store, or from other game promotions.
Now today and yesterday I find two hats :p
I just find it funny how the system works at times.

I crafted the new Demoknight set and I must say it's among the most fun I have had playing the game in a long while. If you have a charge turning script you can easily round corners and even strafe mid charge from rockets, snipers, other demos and the like. Any class except Heavy will die when you charge between the impact hit and the crit swing (combined 280 damage). Even with Overheal the only classes surviving that are a Soldier, Heavy, and Booties Demo.
In a way the Persuader is like the Half-Zatoichi in a way because everyone you kill is worth 100 health from their dropped weapons so its very realistic to just mow down a group of the enemy team if you ambush them from the constant health gain.

One thing I'll say about TF2 being f2p now is that it makes me feel better about my own ability to play this game :awesome:
I don't think I have ever had such dominating games before now but the influx of new players makes for some very funny moments that you would never get away with against veterans.

Also, if anybody would like to hit me up on Steam my account is dafreakingpope, nickname Plum. Just let me know you're from SWF and I will be happy to get in some games with people.

M@v

Subarashii!
What would you give for it? I use Medic, Pyro, Heavy, and Soldier the most

Wow me
Not at home, but when I get there(about an hour) I'll check my backpack and see what I have. I know I have almost every pyro melee weapon, and I have a few medic things as well. Soldier I use a lot, but I may have an extra buff banner, and as for the heavy I don't know if I got any extra stuff minus a Natascha.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Not at home, but when I get there(about an hour) I'll check my backpack and see what I have. I know I have almost every pyro melee weapon, and I have a few medic things as well. Soldier I use a lot, but I may have an extra buff banner, and as for the heavy I don't know if I got any extra stuff minus a Natascha.
Eh I already have like 3 buff banners

But if you have the Quick-Fix medigun, I'd be happy to trade for that

M@v

Subarashii!
I got none of the new medic stuff though D:

Newest medic things I have are the crossbow and the amputator

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I didn't know the quick fix was new.

And well in any rate youll have to wait a while till my Internet gets fixed. ****ing ATT should burn in a hole

Fletch

Smash Master
Bringing home a 6-core computer next week, maybe I'll start to play this again, but I REALLY want to get back into TFC if anyone wants to play with me.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Classic

I have been playing this game since 07 and have never once found a hat through drops. All of my hats have been traded for, bought in packs from the store, or from other game promotions.
Now today and yesterday I find two hats :p
I just find it funny how the system works at times.
*Shakes fist*

What'd you get?

One thing I'll say about TF2 being f2p now is that it makes me feel better about my own ability to play this game :awesome:
I don't think I have ever had such dominating games before now but the influx of new players makes for some very funny moments that you would never get away with against veterans.
Had one of those the other night on the map with the train-cart. Had a sentry set up around a corner and managed to score 8 dominations at once. New record!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Figured an old man like you would be familiar with Team Fortress Classic. BEAST game, I used to be ranked in it. Never really got into TF2 as much.
Never heard of it before.

And for the last time, you're older than me! You're the old man! :mad:

M@v

Subarashii!
Soda popper's pretty meh. If you could control when to activate the hype mini-crits it would be so much better.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Soda popper's pretty meh. If you could control when to activate the hype mini-crits it would be so much better.
And Quick Fix is pretty meh too

I like healing faster but I dont like not bein invincible when I ubercharge. I honestly can't relieving medi gun I like better

D

Deleted member

So I've been running around with the basic demoknight build (targe+persian) and it's both hilarious and ridicilous. right now it's still somewhat balanced but once you add the boots it's probably going to be stupid OP

Top Bottom