• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunting

kbear

Smash Cadet
Nappa: Vegeta, what does the scouter say about Snake's taunt duration?!
Vegeta: IT'S OVER 9 SECONDS!

Masterchef1123

Smash Apprentice
Taunts not only make the opponent angry.
But they also can be used as an advantage
Say my opponent falls off the edge
I run over to the other side and use one of my taunts.
They run over to me.
My taunt is over.
Epic Pwnage

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
It depends.

If you are someone like Snake... Don't taunt. There's too much stuff you should be doing in that brief period. Resetting your mines/c4/grenades, getting to a primo spot. Or, if you are Diddy. Get a banana in your hand and one in close reach, but out of reach of your opponent's respawn/invincibility (optional). Samus? Charge a shot. DK? Wind a punch. ROB? Charge a gyro.

However, if you feel that the person is becoming riled by what you are doing (decimating them, camping them extremely hard, if they just SD'd, etc etc.) and a taunt can frustrate them further, and that frustration is more valuable "in game" than setting up whatever... then, go ahead.

If you're a char who has nothing to do btwn stocks, taunt like mad.

But, be careful... some players can actually get "calmed down" by a taunt. It makes them realize that they are being made a fool of, and they NEED to correct things. They refocus.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Taunting is a way for my character to make annoying noises when my opponent isn't near me. I'm not sure why I wouldn't do it. This is yet another area in which Mr. Game & Watch is the best.

Aibou

Smash Master
Taunting is a way for my character to make annoying noises when my opponent isn't near me. I'm not sure why I wouldn't do it. This is yet another area in which Mr. Game & Watch is the best.
I agree to this so much. It's the only reason I play him at all considering how bad I am with him :laugh:

RRRRIIIIIIINNNNNGGGG! That's better than any taunt in the game. :p

Ugg

Smash Champion
I dash dance after I kill someone to try and trip so I have a less of a chance of tripping when it matters, but that's more of a superstitious thing.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Spamming taunts gets your opponent used to them, though. I find the best time to use a taunt is as soon as I have an advantage and I know I cannot be punished. The psychological damage usually does a lot more to help win the match that it would seem.

Technologikall

Smash Apprentice
Would you say that taunting is a bad habit?
It technically serves no purpse (Unless you're Luigi) and wastes time that you could use to get a better spot on the stage, charge attacks, etc... It also sometimes leads to deaths.

Opinions?
Luigi's Taunt doesn't have a purpose as well. Someone tried Spiking my Ganon with it.... Got hit with B^ like 10+ times in a row. Snakes Taunt does have an use though, You can gimp with it the way that Sonic does with his B^.

And to be honest I don't believe there is that much psychologikall damage. At least not against me. What is supposed to happen then?

llamapaste

Smash Journeyman
Taunting is annoying. I don't really mind it except it's annoying. I try to punish people who taunt if I can.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
ganon has to taunt when he gets a kill to assert his authority as highest tiered character in the game
captain falcon has to taunt to assure himself of his manliness since we all know he has very little self esteem and probably cries in the shower

Luxor

Smash Champion
That's amazing! You've just been given the single best advice for ANY competitive game you've ever received. Listen to what people hate the most, and then DO IT. The better the player, the more likely it will be an effective strategy... There are secrets you have to know in order to REALLY unlock irritating play. After all, irritating play is the most effective.
Taunting is obviously effective. <_<

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I taunt, so it gets them really angry, and their blood pressure rises, and then they have a heart attack, and then they die! So, I win by default hehe.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
lucas purposely trips in the opponent's face in a deliberate attempt to rub it in his opponent's face after they pratfall into lucas' usmash

but other than that,

hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
It has to be a tie between those two then...Of course, you can gimp with Snake's box....but you can't even die at 999% by Luigi's taunt. So Luigi wins this round...
WRONG i died at 137% once with his down taunt O_o
PAinful and everyone kept doing "LOL" taunts.
It was peach's fault that she put everyone to sleep but luigi :(

Anyway, i LOVE to abuse Ness' "OK!"
And Lucas down taunt gets annoying after a while too xD

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
lucas purposely trips in the opponent's face in a deliberate attempt to rub it in his opponent's face after they pratfall into lucas' usmash

but other than that,

hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
hiiiii
I LOL"d at that so hard.

Bunny4Eva

Smash Ace
Taunting is such a good strategy..
You make your opponent mad & then they play agressive.
Oh, but tea-bagging is worst v_v

JOE!

Smash Hero
i usually taunt in order to get my opponent to taunt too, then I run up and smack them as they taunt :lick:

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
its been proven that when wolf uses his down taunt (growl) that he lowers his opponents attack a bit and when he uses side taunt (swagger) it annoys the opponent into a rage but also effectively confusing them. when he howls... he's just asserting his ruggedness

Jon K

Smash Rookie
It can serve to frustrate your opponent, possibly making them unfocused, impulsive, and therefore less efficient during the match. It can definitely become a bad habit (like pausing when flustered is), but when that problem emerges, don't do it stupidly.
Taunting is like alcohol, it can facilitate enjoyment but one must be responsible with it, for its abuse brings punishment.

jorgen aune

Smash Cadet
Even if Snake's taunt may deal damage, there is allways better options, mines and c4 or mortar
Falco's "Piece of cake" is so annoying that it is more spammeble at distance than laser

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
falco is such a greedy creature that once he's won he always deems it necessary to say "hands off my bread"
as if his fallen opponent could care less about that bread
it was a lie anyways

Asimio

Smash Apprentice
Anyone remember MikeHaze screaming everytime he got grabbed? That's a taunt!

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
I follow a few simple rules myself.

1. If you have an audience and you are performing well, you MUST taunt.

2. If you are playing a money match, you must not taunt. *

3. You must ALWAYS taunt after landing Falcon Punches.

4. If moves have been shown, you must down taunt.

5. If opponent is camping, you must side taunt.

note: I main Falcon if you haven't figured it out yet.

*overruled by third, fourth and fifth rule

Top Bottom