• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap jump on/off

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm certainly know this thread had to be created before, but I'm just courious.

Pesonally, I have it OFF.
Utilts are a lot easier, do not accidentaly jump, and for Peach, allows a lot of float possibilities for mindgames unless missing your second jump!

Tophes

Smash Cadet
It depends on the situation to be honest. As a Marth main, I need tap jump on because it makes it easier to do up-B out of shield. You're fine with tap jump off since you wouldn't need to do that. I don't know about the whole floating at ground level and what not though.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
It depends on the situation to be honest. As a Marth main, I need tap jump on because it makes it easier to do up-B out of shield. You're fine with tap jump off since you wouldn't need to do that. I don't know about the whole floating at ground level and what not though.
With Tap Jump off Marth can still easily up b out of shield if R or L is replaced with jump. Same with Bowser or Meta Knight.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I play with it off because its so fricking annoying, but I've been seeing that it might be more useful to have it on to Uair combo easier.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I have it off honestly how can you play with it on? It messes me up bad

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
I play with it on. i sometimes use it, when i want to. if i turn it off, ii know its gonna mess me up some how.

TheMike

Smash Lord
ON is better if ur char has a great Up B because of the Up B's OoS when the opponent pillars u :X

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I'm certainly know this thread had to be created before, but I'm just courious.

Pesonally, I have it OFF.
Utilts are a lot easier, do not accidentaly jump, and for Peach, allows a lot of float possibilities for mindgames unless missing your second jump!
The search function is your friend.

Just wondering...there was no way to turn it off in melee, right? At least I never found it...
No, there wasn't.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Peach has no real advantages with tap jump being off. I play with it on, and there's really no problem at all. I mean, what's the deal? I u tilt just fine, and there's no trouble if you play as peach... You can easily mindgame, just use y and down to fc, and you won't jump when you try to u air. And I never jump when I u tilt anymore. Plus, I play melee, and I'm used to the fact that tap jump's on.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Thanks a lot affinity.
That kinda makes me wonder....Why do so many of you complain about it? The other two didn't let you turn it off. You'd think you'd have adapted by now.

Slasherx

Smash Ace
I have it off, easier tilt, DAC, and SH.
Oh yeah, is a freaking wii remote+nunchuck >__>

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Unless you've mastered utilts, in melee, I'd say stick to tap jump off.

Luigimar

Smash Rookie
Well I use Wolf and his best aerial is probably Uair so I have mine on.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
depends on character.. go to the character specific boards for specifics.

EDIT: W0W just realized how redundant that post was LOL.. whatevss its 4:30 in the morning.. sleep johnss all day

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Thanks a lot affinity.
That kinda makes me wonder....Why do so many of you complain about it? The other two didn't let you turn it off. You'd think you'd have adapted by now.
No problem

Most of the people that don't like default settings didn't play Melee seriously, so they never really got accustomed to default settings, if that makes sense.

The only exception that I can think of is if a Melee veteran's Brawl main needs TJ off to be used correctly in competitive play.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Personally, I've used nothing but tap jump since SSB 64, and that's not about to change now. :)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Tap just on is for real men.

Also, benefits with tap jump on >>> benefits with tap jump off.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Using Utilt with tap jump on is reaaaaally easy.

Maybe you could, iunno, TILT the control stick?
But easier without in most peoples opinions;)

I have it off, mainly because I use Zelda the most, and sweetspotting the ledge with tap jump on can be difficult if I didnt already use my 2nd jump. And Utilts.

On an almost unrelated note, can you do a utilt by tilting the control stick and the cstick up at the same time?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Inputting UpB is really hard imo. =|

Cel

Smash Cadet
I play with it off now to make short hop > uair without using the c stick easier, but i can also play with it on. I'm used to it from melee so it doesn't really make a huge difference to me.

Top Bottom