• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap jump on/off

Llumys

Smash Champion
Oh wow, those are some walls I sure don't feel like reading.

Anyway, there's no meteor canceling in Brawl, and isn't possible it meteor cancel by jumping with a button? I don't see why not.

I don't see why such long posts are used in such an unnecessary thread.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
really, the tap jump thing was missed, is just that some people start complaining about unnecessary things.

And the thread was supposed to be most likely a poll-like thing...

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
I've played melee for years, and needing to utilt instantly AND turn instantly on a dime (fox v fox up throw>uptilt) has trained me to keep it on. I use Y to jump, but there are a few situations where I feel it is necessary to upair and jump simultaneously. I've also read that OOS up-b's come out faster with tap jump on.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I've played melee for years, and needing to utilt instantly AND turn instantly on a dime (fox v fox up throw>uptilt) has trained me to keep it on. I use Y to jump, but there are a few situations where I feel it is necessary to upair and jump simultaneously. I've also read that OOS up-b's come out faster with tap jump on.
If you press jump and up b at the same time with tap jump off, it comes out as fast as OOS with tap jump on.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Oh wow, those are some walls I sure don't feel like reading.

Anyway, there's no meteor canceling in Brawl, and isn't possible it meteor cancel by jumping with a button? I don't see why not.

I don't see why such long posts are used in such an unnecessary thread.
There is meteor canceling in brawl, but it works like momentum canceling in a way. When you jump at half hitstun, it cancels all momentum. However, if you press the X or Y button too early, you get a "penalty" and can't meteor cancel with those buttons for the rest of the hitstun. If you use the jump button and mash it upwards though, you do not get this penalty and will meteor cancel normally even if you perform it early.
Maybe a wrong place, but I main ROB. Is there any real advantages for ROB with tap jump ON? As many people said that there are no negativities in tap jump once you master it. So is it really worth practicing?
With ROB? Dunno. It might be easier to fair oos by pressing up on the control stick and then c-stick forwards, but it's up to you with characters like those, honestly.

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Tap jump on- I use default controls for a multitude of reasons.
No wonder I have difficulty performing Utilts. I feel better about myself now. c:

Vitality

Smash Ace
Off for Snake
On for MK

But sometimes MK likes to go autopilot with tap jump on which is mostly beneficial...plus uair + jump for combos/DI is just too good. Snake is bad because you might do a uair for your utilt :(

Xposure

Smash Cadet
Tap jump on- I use default controls for a multitude of reasons.
No wonder I have difficulty performing Utilts. I feel better about mysekf now. c:
Haha, I had the same problem. But I've gotten used to it. Just takes time, and a lot of brawl matches. >_>

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
You could just TILT THE STICK AND HIT A, or hell, BUFFER INTO IT?

How did people ever up tilt in Melee without tap jump? By being good, that's how.

Or you could just get learn to play. Then you wouldn't have to have the game play better for you. You could do it on your own, like a grown up!

I'm being relatively facetious in the way I'm saying this, but seriously, it's just irritating that the game is already so easy, and people are making it easier to do something that's already EASIER THAN IT NEEDS TO BE.

It's like watching someone pick peperoni off of a pizza. EAT THE ****ING PEPERONI YOU ********.
Well, maybe they don't like pepperoni or they can't eat it (although if they can't eat it, it would make one wonder why they're touching pizza that has it on there....actually....ignore that part of the argument)
------------
Maybe they don't like pepperoni, or maybe they're not in the mood for it? Also, why the f*ck do you care? It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to set up controls tops...and that's IF someone's sitting next to their ear, raging about the person wanting to set up a game so THEY can play how THEY want.

HEAVEN FORBID WE ALLOW CUSTOMIZATION FOR MORE PEOPLE TO PLAY OUR GAMES BOTH COMPETITIVELY & CASUALLY!!!!!
----------------------
On an unrelated note I just tried Tap Jump off using my spare L (which I usually use to try to do Nairs without making it be an UAir or w/e...Dear god, I prefer Tap Jump on). And I decided that before, but ya know...screw it. I prefer tap jump on, and I dont have TOO much trouble with utilts. IMHO, it's not nearly as bad as people like to say it is....
The one thing I wish they DID allow us to customize? Turning off Up = grab while shielding....Grab in shield grabs, a grabs, up grabs....FARTING ON THE MOON ACTIVATES GRAB. Dear god, is there a SINGLE command beyond analog, c stick down n left/right, and L/R that DOESN'T activate grab?! x.x
So yeah....I actually use tap jump on, but as a special side note;
L jumps, Z set to attack for easier Wolf DACUS, x set to grab for easier grabbing...

TL?

Smash Ace
I've always had it on. It doesn't seem to make utilt hard for me. I never ever mess up an u-tilt and this is coming from someone who can't wavedash or dacus.

Jeb

Smash Cadet
On for marth.
Off/On for luigi.

I used to play with off for a very long time, but later on I got the hang of things and I really didn't notice a difference anymore. I have On for marth for his upB from shielding.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
☠
Off. In fact, I think it would be weird if someone had it on. O.o

Utilt is a staple move for Kirby, so its imperative I'm able to do it without accidentally jumping.
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
well, i have tap jump on, but i always use aerials with the c-stick (i use wii-mote+nunchuk) and its much easier than using the control stick+A (and you cannot jump by accident.
however, short hopping is actually quite hard with tap jump on :S i tend to screw it up when im in a tight situation. (this means single-nana-lock is out of the question :D)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Having tap jump off makes you need an extra input for upsmash/up+B out of shield.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I play with Tap Jump on because I use wiimote nunchuck. If I don't, I have nothing to jump with.

Sliq

Smash Master
It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to set up controls tops...and that's IF someone's sitting next to their ear, raging about the person wanting to set up a game so THEY can play how THEY want.
5 minutes x 45 entrants = 225 minutes

I left out setting up the same control scheme on multiple setups on the grounds that multiple people can setup multiple control schemes at the same time, so it would essentially be times x divided by x, x being the number of setups.

It takes LONGER if their name is already in it, as they just tried to create it, and now they have to find out where it is.

Also, it isn't about wanting to play how they want, it's them wanting things to be easier, because, you know, tilting is without tap jump is such an impossibly difficult thing to do in the first place, on par with Waveshining and Roman Canceling.

HEAVEN FORBID WE ALLOW CUSTOMIZATION FOR MORE PEOPLE TO PLAY OUR GAMES BOTH COMPETITIVELY & CASUALLY!!!!!
Heaven forbid people are forced to play the game long enough to be able to play it well. Let's, instead, subvert a skillset and make things automatic so people can't cry about other people being better than them because they invested the time to practice. Take that, mastery! It's like little league, where everyone gets a trophy. It's patronizing, is what it is, and you eat it up.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
my brother actually uses c to jump (left index finger) and z to shield (just below c) so he has no grab button :D therefore, he uses shieldgrab and A+B simultaniously

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I kept screwing up on A+B so I had to have a grab button to Z-drop items with. Without a C-stick, I can't take myself seriously anyway so why worry about a jump button...

Pink murder

Smash Ace
well, i have tap jump on, but i always use aerials with the c-stick (i use wii-mote+nunchuk) and its much easier than using the control stick+A (and you cannot jump by accident.
however, short hopping is actually quite hard with tap jump on :S i tend to screw it up when im in a tight situation. (this means single-nana-lock is out of the question :D)
☠
Oh, well it's understandable for people who don't use a GC controller. I think the Wii mote control schemes are a pain :(
☠

Having tap jump off makes you need an extra input for upsmash/up+B out of shield.
☠
Hmm, thats true, but I think the trade off isn't worth it.

It's much harder to short hop with it on, and it can be more difficult to use your Utilt. Plus it can sometimes make you jump when you don't want to.

But that's just my opinion.

☠

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
5 minutes x 45 entrants = 225 minutes

I left out setting up the same control scheme on multiple setups on the grounds that multiple people can setup multiple control schemes at the same time, so it would essentially be times x divided by x, x being the number of setups.

It takes LONGER if their name is already in it, as they just tried to create it, and now they have to find out where it is.

Also, it isn't about wanting to play how they want, it's them wanting things to be easier, because, you know, tilting is without tap jump is such an impossibly difficult thing to do in the first place, on par with Waveshining and Roman Canceling.

Heaven forbid people are forced to play the game long enough to be able to play it well. Let's, instead, subvert a skillset and make things automatic so people can't cry about other people being better than them because they invested the time to practice. Take that, mastery! It's like little league, where everyone gets a trophy. It's patronizing, is what it is, and you eat it up.
Arguing that using default means you're better is just stupid. (it's pretty like arguing Melee is better than Brawl... oh, wait...)

I change my mappings because my configuration really improves my game, and makes it more COMFORTABLE (yeah, by doing it easier or whatever you want to name it), and that's what customization is about. Not saying I'll beat anyone because of that, but any change does only help/affect on me, and should be only my bussiness.

If people that don't use defaults are less skilled, just beat them.
If you don't like people that change controls, just don't play against them.
but if "wasting your time" is your main complain, just don't go to tournaments.

humble

Smash Ace
I leave my tap jump on because with characters like Bowser who needs it for OOS up-b jump cancel, and I don't find it a hassle, as I can still up air or up tilt without it.

Sliq

Smash Master
Arguing that using default means you're better is just stupid. (it's pretty like arguing Melee is better than Brawl... oh, wait...)

You just realize Melee was better and totally ruined your point, hence the ellipses. Don't worry, it happens sometimes. This is half joking, btw. I do believe Melee is better, but I'm not going to argue about it since it will be pointless. You probably didn't play Melee competitively anyways, so you wouldn't actually know what you're talking about, but would act like it anyways.

I change my mappings because my configuration really improves my game, and makes it more COMFORTABLE (yeah, by doing it easier or whatever you want to name it)
So what you're saying is, it makes you better without having to input anymore effort into practicing or learning. Right, and how does this not make people who don't take the path of least resistance better, again?

You pretty much just told me, "Hey, I like to superficially obtain skill by adjusting my controls instead of practicing. Otherwise, I would be worse than other people, but now I am on par because I toggled a switch in the options."

and that's what customization is about.
No, customization is about the expressing ones self. People like to customize things to better fit their personality, and it seems your controls are telling me, "Hey, I like to be lazy! **** learning, short cut, here I come!"

Not saying I'll beat anyone because of that, but any change does only help/affect on me, and should be only my bussiness..
It's only your business when it isn't wasting everyone else's time.

If people that don't use defaults are less skilled, just beat them.
I do.

If you don't like people that change controls, just don't play against them.
Right, I'll just ask the TO to reorganize the ****ing bracket.

but if "wasting your time" is your main complain, just don't go to tournaments.
That's like saying, "If you don't like being shot, don't leave your house." I shouldn't be forced to stay home because someone wants to play on easy mode.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
☠
Oh, well it's understandable for people who don't use a GC controller. I think the Wii mote control schemes are a pain :(

yea, i agree.
there should be different models of the wii mote with extra buttons and stuff so i shouldn't have to choose between a jump button or a grab button -_- that kinda stinks.... besides, B-bashing for the jumpless rising cyclone (luigi downB) is almost impossible with the trigger button

Captain L

Smash Champion
besides, B-bashing for the jumpless rising cyclone (luigi downB) is almost impossible with the trigger button
2nd and 3rd finger can both rest on the trigger.

And aren't there a few things that are actually impossible without custom controls? Why should people who want to use those have to not use them just because you don't want to wait two minutes? (I understand it is probably extremely irritating, but I'm just asking)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
y'now, sliq? let's have this as a draw, I really wannot to discuss this too much, just because it's not the goal of this thread, which was suposed to be a poll and not a "which one is better" discussion.

I mean, maining default control is a good thing, though, it helps you to keep melee's skills, but it's really unnecessary in brawl.
Nobody will congratulate you if you do, but neither flame you if you don't
but you, who's flaming because you wannot deal with setting-ups

keep your finger skills high, but don't attack other people because they want to make it easier, okay?

Sliq

Smash Master
I decline your offer of a draw, and want point out that your willingness to call it a tie means that I am the winner.

Go me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
it's not the goal of this thread, which was suposed to be a poll and not a "which one is better" discussion.
You realize the moment this actually becomes just a poll and not an actual discussion that there would be no more reason for this thread to remain open in this section, right?

highfive

Smash Lord
Sliq is a ****.

I have tap jump on 'cause some times I forget to press Y (usually when I'm about to kill someone then do an epic fail SD) and changed X to shield (new controller, still not broken in yet.)

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
My controls are kinda weird.

I have my c-stick set to Attack. So instead of Smash attacks, tilts come out.
I have tap jump on so c-stick helped with u-tilt especially since I'd always accidentally jump. I also use aerials with c-stick.

And depending on the character or situation I'll use X/Y to jump but I primarily use the control stick.

I also have R set to attack. This is only to make performing DACUS a bit easier and consistent.

Everything else is standard.

EDIT: For IC's I use standard controls only though lol

Top Bottom