• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap jump on/off

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
Tap Jump Off. I don't see why anybody bothers to keep it on except to stay more able in Melee, which of course doesn't have online. Jumping was done with a single use button as early as the Donkey Kong arcade game. I think if anything Tap Jump is just some training weight, and C-Sticking is just some training wheels.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Sliq is just mad that it takes unnecessary time because people with custom controls won't win tournaments anyways where he lives. :<

Change your controls before the set to make Sliq happy.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Tap Jump Off. I don't see why anybody bothers to keep it on except to stay more able in Melee, which of course doesn't have online. Jumping was done with a single use button as early as the Donkey Kong arcade game. I think if anything Tap Jump is just some training weight, and C-Sticking is just some training wheels.
With characters like MK or Marth Up-B out of shield can be nice, but it's a lot slower with tap jump off.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Sliq, I don't get it. Why would you be against custom controls? They take less than 30 seconds to set up (at least I do, it's kind of mechanical for me now), and they don't affect you anyways...

I mean, look at Yoshi. He pretty much REQUIRES Tap Jump off to play effectively (I have that off and L as jump). If I do have Tap Jump on for him, recovering with Yoshi becomes far more limited since if you just want to up-B back to the stage you have to use your second jump, and if you get hit out of that you're basically screwed. Besides, he can't even jump OoS, so there is no point to keeping it on other than using DR (which I don't use). =/

:069:

Sliq

Smash Master
Sliq, I don't get it. Why would you be against custom controls? They take less than 30 seconds to set up (at least I do, it's kind of mechanical for me now), and they don't affect you anyways...

I mean, look at Yoshi. He pretty much REQUIRES Tap Jump off to play effectively (I have that off and L as jump). If I do have Tap Jump on for him, recovering with Yoshi becomes far more limited since if you just want to up-B back to the stage you have to use your second jump, and if you get hit out of that you're basically screwed. Besides, he can't even jump OoS, so there is no point to keeping it on other than using DR (which I don't use). =/

I didn't read your post because you opted to make your font color a color of the same value as the background making it difficult to read. Pull your head out of your *** and stop trying to be cute with your font.

I ignored highfive and super model from paris not only because their names are stupid, but because they both joined in 2009. Elitism!

*does the elitist dance*

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
...Huh? How are greyish-black and green the same color? o_O

And I type with green because I like green. Simple as that. Please respond to the post itself if you took the time to quote it. Thank you.

Re-typing of above (in case you ignore this, too):

And I type with green because I like green. Simple as that. Please respond to the post itself if you took the time to quote it. Thank you.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You realize the moment this actually becomes just a poll and not an actual discussion that there would be no more reason for this thread to remain open in this section, right?
sorry, I didn't meant that.

I meant that I tried to do a poll-like thread, on people could say how they use its tap jump and the improvements/issues they got with that (and as a colateral effect, it may can be useful to someone to choose if change it or not).

But it's hard to focus with a guy randomly arguing that he hates people that change controls, who's not reading any post, and even more if his arguments are just becoming more and more ridiculous.
My willing of a draw was just a stop-spamming-my-thread indirect message.

In other words, this thread CAN be useful if the right arguments are posted, and that's why I wannot to keep discussing about nonsense things.

(ironicaly, if this post was only to say that, it fails on that matter...)

Sliq

Smash Master

Re-typing of above (in case you ignore this, too):

I said same "value." Value is how light or dark something is. I'd say both the gray and your green arei n the 70% region, making it hard to read. There is no contrast. It's like trying to read bright yellow on white.

sorry, I didn't meant that.

I meant that I tried to do a poll-like thread, on people could say how they use its tap jump and the improvements/issues they got with that (and as a colateral effect, it may can be useful to someone to choose if change it or not).

But it's hard to focus with a guy randomly arguing that he hates people that change controls, who's not reading any post, and even more if his arguments are just becoming more and more ridiculous.
My willing of a draw was just a stop-spamming-my-thread indirect message.

In other words, this thread CAN be useful if the right arguments are posted, and that's why I wannot to keep discussing about nonsense things.

(ironicaly, if this post was only to say that, it fails on that matter...)
I fail to see how technical skill is not a skill considering it has "skill" in it's title. Also, I fail to see how removing a technical skill does not, in turn, mean you are less skillful. Please explain.

The only thing I keep hearing in this thread is that people change their controls because it is easier. Something that is easy doesn't take much skill; it's in the definition of easy. That's why surgeons get more money than janitors. As well as respect.

I'm also hearing about people accidentally jumping when they went to up tilt, which means you are bad. That's like changing a quarter circle punch command to just one button. OH WAIT, THEY ALREADY DID THAT FOR SMASH. Yeah, it definitely needs to be easier.

Brawl = a coloring book that's already finished

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Apparently, the only way for Sliq to properly respond to my post is to see it in white. >_>

...:069:

Captain L

Smash Champion
The game was intended to be played mainly on Wiichuck, with Gamecube controller just as an extra option to those who don't like Wiichuck and want to make things easier for themselves. All of the inputs in the instructions manual for the game use Wiichuck default controls.

However, most people choose to make the game easier and give themselves more options by using Gamecube controller. Further, people also choose to give themselves even more options and make the game slightly easier by using custom controls. Why is using a Gamecube controler any different than changing controls? They both just make the game easier for you and give you a few extra options. (Of course there is the difference of the 2 minutes it takes to set it up before a match).

Sliq

Smash Master
From my experience, it takes considerably longer than 30 seconds to setup overall (i.e. not just changing tap jump off, but other **** as well...not to mention how incompetent some people are at navigating menus).

Furthermore, I've had to restart matches because ******* pick a name with custom controls, or someone tampered with their custom controlled name.

I mean, look at Yoshi. He pretty much REQUIRES Tap Jump off to play effectively (I have that off and L as jump).
I highly doubt that he is impossible to play as with tap jump on. It's jsut "harder."

If I do have Tap Jump on for him, recovering with Yoshi becomes far more limited since if you just want to up-B back to the stage you have to use your second jump, and if you get hit out of that you're basically screwed.
I'm pretty sure you can up b with Yoshi and not lose your second jump. It just requires "timing." Also, I thought all characters with only 2 jumps lost their double jump if hit out of their aerial up b?

Besides, he can't even jump OoS, so there is no point to keeping it on other than using DR (which I don't use). =/
How often do you even up tilt with Yoshi anyways? Would NEVER be an accurate amount?

The game was intended to be played mainly on Wiichuck, with Gamecube controller just as an extra option to those who don't like Wiichuck and want to make things easier for themselves. All of the inputs in the instructions manual for the game use Wiichuck default controls.
I'm sure the developers also didn't intend for Snake to slide the whole length of FD or for there to be infinites. But those happen in tournament play.

You are NOT the developer. You do NOT know the intent of those who created the game. You are ASSUMING based off of the instruction manual, which does not even mention the unlockable characters. Therefor, they were not intended.

Intention has no bearing on skill, and never will.

However, most people choose to make the game easier and give themselves more options by using Gamecube controller
The gamecube controller does not offer up anything more than the wiimote and nunchuk provides.

There is no indication that a wiimote is harder to use than a gamecube controller, or that the gamecube controller offers benefits that over ride skill in relation to the wii mote.

Further, people also choose to give themselves even more options and make the game slightly easier by using custom controls. Why is using a Gamecube controler any different than changing controls? They both just make the game easier for you and give you a few extra options. (Of course there is the difference of the 2 minutes it takes to set it up before a match).
Fighting games allow you to use either the standard controller or fighting sticks. What doesn't happen is people mapping "complex" input strings into 1 input, or removing certain input strings to be better. Dudley's cross counter is an admittedly ****ty move, and mediocre players can easily accidentally do it. However, no one good accidentally does the wrong move, because they have PRACTICED to get good enough to not **** up.

So man up and practice so you don't **** up instead of johning out.

Using a gamecube controller is different because it is plug and play, not plug and wait 5 minutes while I map controls and then play.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Is this thread still really alive? Really?

Having tap on only gives you one advantage. You can input jump with your analog stick several times to meteor cancel without consequence.

This thread isn't for controller discussion.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
From my experience, it takes considerably longer than 30 seconds to setup overall (i.e. not just changing tap jump off, but other **** as well...not to mention how incompetent some people are at navigating menus).

Furthermore, I've had to restart matches because ******* pick a name with custom controls, or someone tampered with their custom controlled name.
That has more to do with the incompetence of the player than with the controls themselves. I guess you just get unlucky when being paired up against a player who can't navigate the menu properly.

Also, I believe you don't have to restart matches if someone tampered with a player's name. I think the official rules state that the player is responsible for their name. I could be wrong, though.

I highly doubt that he is impossible to play as with tap jump on. It's jsut "harder."
No, it actually limits him. Basically, if you want to not double-jump when returning to the stage and still up-B to it, you have to be holding up after you get out of hitstun. Also, using Edge-Cancelled Eggs is a thousand times more riskier because if you miss the ledge or are hit out of it then you are dead.

So, with tap jump on, it would make Yoshi far more riskier to play as. "Harder" is not the right word for it. It's more like "limiting," since he would actually lose some aspects of his metagame with it on.

I'm pretty sure you can up b with Yoshi and not lose your second jump. It just requires "timing." Also, I thought all characters with only 2 jumps lost their double jump if hit out of their aerial up b?
How? Tilting up on the control stick would make Yoshi double-jump, even if it's just for one frame. So if he gets hit out of his up-B, he's a goner.

And why do you think that a character with two jumps would lose their double-jump by up-B'ing? That's certainly not true. Maybe if tap jump is on (since you normally HAVE to jump before up-B'ing), but with tap jump off that is not the case at all.

How often do you even up tilt with Yoshi anyways? Would NEVER be an accurate amount?
Stop making assumptions with a character you do not play as. All of Yoshi's tilts have their uses, u-tilt included. It's his second fastest (or slowest :p) tilt, can launch people into the air above Yoshi (which is exactly where Yoshi wants most people), and can even be comboed off of his b-air.

Sliq

Smash Master
That has more to do with the incompetence of the player than with the controls themselves. I guess you just get unlucky when being paired up against a player who can't navigate the menu properly.
The thing is that people that came over from Melee, who competed in Melee tournaments, don't change their controls, from what I experienced. People that came into Brawl do. And the newer people, for some reason, are bad at simple things like navigating the menu. Probably because they don't attend enough tournaments to know the sequence.

Regardless, it still happens, and the cause is the want to change their control scheme.

Also, I believe you don't have to restart matches if someone tampered with a player's name. I think the official rules state that the player is responsible for their name. I could be wrong, though.
Only an ******* would force someone to play at a disadvantage because someone sabotaged their controls.

No, it actually limits him. Basically, if you want to not double-jump when returning to the stage and still up-B to it, you have to be holding up after you get out of hitstun. Also, using Edge-Cancelled Eggs is a thousand times more riskier because if you miss the ledge or are hit out of it then you are dead.

So, with tap jump on, it would make Yoshi far more riskier to play as. "Harder" is not the right word for it. It's more like "limiting," since he would actually lose some aspects of his metagame with it on.

How? Tilting up on the control stick would make Yoshi double-jump, even if it's just for one frame. So if he gets hit out of his up-B, he's a goner.

And why do you think that a character with two jumps would lose their double-jump by up-B'ing? That's certainly not true. Maybe if tap jump is on (since you normally HAVE to jump before up-B'ing), but with tap jump off that is not the case at all.
I was working under the grounds that if you hit b within a few frames of hitting up you do not lose your jump. Hence when people do an up b on the stage, they do a grounded one, albeit I don't know if aerial jumps come out on the same frames as grounded ones. I'll have to test this.

Stop making assumptions with a character you do not play as. All of Yoshi's tilts have their uses, u-tilt included. It's his second fastest (or slowest :p) tilt, can launch people into the air above Yoshi (which is exactly where Yoshi wants most people), and can even be comboed off of his b-air.
I've played against Yoshi's, and if you are going to claim I can't learn through observation, then I'm going to find where you live and poop in your mailbox. Also, you assumed that I don't play Yoshi. I mean I don't, but you still made an assumption.

Also, if you are going to combo an up tilt out of a bair, you can just buffer it during the bair.

Also, if you want to up tilt, just be good enough to not jump or up smash.

Sliq

Smash Master
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html

“Play to win, not to do ‘difficult moves.’”

which can be re-stated as

"Play to win, not to avoid easier moves"
You can pick Metaknight and spam tornado if you want, if that wins. But no one is going to say, "****, did you see that guy hitting B? He's the ****ING BEST! He's so good, it's ridiculous."

Also, the fact of the matter is that the controls are already super simplified. You should stop playing video games if you can't handle BRAWL CONTROLS.

Don't quote Sirlin at me; I was reading Sirlin before you were reading anything.

If you had said, "play to waste others' time," then we'd see eye to eye.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
You can pick Metaknight and spam tornado if you want, if that wins. But no one is going to say, "****, did you see that guy hitting B? He's the ****ING BEST! He's so good, it's ridiculous."

Also, the fact of the matter is that the controls are already super simplified. You should stop playing video games if you can't handle BRAWL CONTROLS.

Don't quote Sirlin at me; I was reading Sirlin before you were reading anything.

If you had said, "play to waste others' time," then we'd see eye to eye.
I would've killed for a c-stick in Smash 64. <<

Melee gave me one. Maybe I should stop c-sticking and become Isai Jr. <<

Also, I'm going to make a note now to always make custom controls when facing Sliq. Maybe it'll make him disgruntled enough to give me the win. =D

(Don't hate me Sliq. :<)

Oh, and if you up B before your double jump, you won't lose it unless you're fighting Ganondorf and he Up B's you himself.

Aerial jumps are frame 1 instead of frame 6. You cannot stop this. The only way to do an up B without your double jump is to perform it in a similar manner as your utilt. For some characters, this makes it uselessly much much harder, especially if you need to aim it directly afterwards, specifically Yoshi with his egg toss recovery.

Still, for the most part, none of this should even ever really matter if you only want to turn tap jump on/off. All tournament wiis should have 4 "NOUP" tags before the tournament even starts so that people who want to turn tap jump off should not even bother wasting their time to navigate the menus for such a common control scheme.

Maybe we should have an L/RATK soon as well for DACUS help.

Sliq

Smash Master
I would've killed for a c-stick in Smash 64. <<

Melee gave me one. Maybe I should stop c-sticking and become Isai Jr. <<

Also, I'm going to make a note now to always make custom controls when facing Sliq. Maybe it'll make him disgruntled enough to give me the win. =D

(Don't hate me Sliq. :<)

Oh, and if you up B before your double jump, you won't lose it unless you're fighting Ganondorf and he Up B's you himself.

Aerial jumps are frame 1 instead of frame 6. You cannot stop this. The only way to do an up B without your double jump is to perform it in a similar manner as your utilt. For some characters, this makes it uselessly much much harder, especially if you need to aim it directly afterwards, specifically Yoshi with his egg toss recovery.

Still, for the most part, none of this should even ever really matter if you only want to turn tap jump on/off. All tournament wiis should have 4 "NOUP" tags before the tournament even starts so that people who want to turn tap jump off should not even bother wasting their time to navigate the menus for such a common control scheme.

Maybe we should have an L/RATK soon as well for DACUS help.
I think the tag idea is good. It will help quell my rage. Also, I figured aerial jumps were 1 frame, but didn't have data to back it up.

Plus, you can just buffer into up b by DI'ing up, and holding up as you descend (which you should do anyways in case you get hit on the way back to the edge).

nvus

Smash Cadet
how do people utilt without jumping first if they have tap jump on?

NNID
Budget_Player
Tilting the stick. It took a while, but I got used to it in vBrawl (not that hard to utilt with snake once you get the hang of it). In brawl+, I play virtually every character with a utilt worth using (AKA 90% of the cast) with cstick tilts because I can't smash forward, smash down, then tilt up (dash cancel utilt). I should probably learn to use tap jump off, but I just can't get it right.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Talking about jumping with tap jump accidentally reminds me of when I couldn't short hop.

...Now I can't full hop anymore, lol.

Tilting used to be so hard... Amazing how the human body adapts to practice.

Sliq

Smash Master
Talking about jumping with tap jump accidentally reminds me of when I couldn't short hop.

...Now I can't full hop anymore, lol.

Tilting used to be so hard... Amazing how the human body adapts to practice.
I'd hug you through the internet, but you have a Lucario with titties in your sig which kind of weirds me out.

Top Bottom