• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'll be shocked if we don't get all the prosecutors and attorneys from the mainline games making cameos in the courtroom alongside Udgey. Witnesses gets a bit more complicated as most of them are one offs (small returns like Will Powers or Adrian Andrews at best), but I guess stuff like Oldbag and Larry is possible.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'm all for Phoenix teaming up with Maya since I love both of them. (honestly I prefer Maya so this is really the closest I'd be able to get to playable Maya)

Also did anyone else think of Ace Attorney when Sakurai was showcasing all of those SNK characters? Ace Attorney is another franchise with so many beloved characters so I really hope a bunch of them can make cameos in the Ace Attorney stage if Phoenix gets in.
Off the top of my head, I’d like to see:
- Gumshoe
- Maya (if not in his moveset)
- Pearl
- Larry
- Apollo
- Athena
- Edgeworth
- Godot
- Franziska
- The Steel Samurai
- Mask DeMasque
- THE BLUE BADGER
- Maybe Mia? Wouldn’t feel right
- Klavier
- Blackquill
- Oldbag
- Trucy
I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting, but this series has so many good characters, can you blame me? They could all do 3D renditions of their sprite animations, like Gumshoe doing the shifty eyes headscratch thing or Larry doing that sweaty thumbs up thing.

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Off the top of my head, I’d like to see:
- Maybe Mia? Wouldn’t feel right
Maybe channeled Mia, through Pearl?
I'd also like to see Grossberg and Von Karma too. Oh, and we can't forget about Redd White.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Here's something I've been working on for a couple of days. An custom made Ace Attorney Spirit Board:

Page 1:
Ace Attorney Spirit Board Page 1.png

Page 2:
Ace Attorney Spirit Board Page 2.png

Honorable mentions:
Honorable Mentions.png

I'm open for suggestions for any changes like characters and other stuff.
(sorry if this post is too big, I'm not sure if there are any rules concerning how many photos you can post in a single post)

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
What if... the stage is the text box from the orginal games, and in the background there is a trial taking place, the platform moves around the courtroom to match the different angles we see in the games.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
What if... the stage is the text box from the orginal games, and in the background there is a trial taking place, the platform moves around the courtroom to match the different angles we see in the games.
That'd feel like too much work to pull off. I'd rather it just be a static shot of the courtroom.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
That'd feel like too much work to pull off. I'd rather it just be a static shot of the courtroom.
The stage from DQXI moves around the overworld, something like that but in a courtroom doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
The stage from DQXI moves around the overworld, something like that but in a courtroom doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.
If you're implying the textbox actually says things according to who's actually in the courtroom, then I think it'd be a bit much.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Here's something I've been working on for a couple of days. An custom made Ace Attorney Spirit Board:

Page 1:
View attachment 246329

Page 2:
View attachment 246330

Honorable mentions:
View attachment 246331

(sorry if this post is too big, I'm not sure if there are any rules concerning how many photos you can post in a single post)
This is pretty nicely put together, only thing I'd say is that I think all DLC spirit boards come with just 1 legendary so far? Outside of a few other subjective rarity adjustments, I feel Ema is significant enough to be part of this.

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Something i really want is that on the stage, there should be a very small chance that instead of the normal judge appearing, we get the brother instead.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
any good news for lawyer man?
He hasn’t been deconfirmed by Vergeben or Sabi yet at least, though I’m hesitant to believe what they say to begin with, A Capcom rep is looking more and more likely for the next fighter as well, though that’s only speculation.

BFMS234

Smash Rookie

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
This is pretty nicely put together, only thing I'd say is that I think all DLC spirit boards come with just 1 legendary so far? Outside of a few other subjective rarity adjustments, I feel Ema is significant enough to be part of this.
Looks amazing, but no Ema?
Dang, I can't believe I forgot Ema Skye. I'm going to add her in later.

Also, I've decided to make 2 spirits legendary because it's honestly really hard to give all these spirits an accurate rarity rating. Most of these characters are very important in Ace Attorney (maybe not Winston Payne, he's mostly the tutorial-like character). But yeah, you're right, all the DLC boards only came with 1 legendary spirit, and all of them are support spirits.

Now that we're on the topic of the DLC Spirit Board, I've also thought of the theme they could use while you're selecting a spirit. I think using one of the "Court Begins" themes would make perfect sense. They could use the one from the first because it's more iconic, but I'd prefer if they used the one from the second or third game. I think the 2 songs fit much better for some reason, but I can't really describe how.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Dang, I can't believe I forgot Ema Skye. I'm going to add her in later.

Also, I've decided to make 2 spirits legendary because it's honestly really hard to give all these spirits an accurate rarity rating. Most of these characters are very important in Ace Attorney (maybe not Winston Payne, he's mostly the tutorial-like character). But yeah, you're right, all the DLC boards only came with 1 legendary spirit, and all of them are support spirits.

Now that we're on the topic of the DLC Spirit Board, I've also thought of the theme they could use while you're selecting a spirit. I think using one of the "Court Begins" themes would make perfect sense. They could use the one from the first because it's more iconic, but I'd prefer if they used the one from the second or third game. I think the 2 songs fit much better for some reason, but I can't really describe how.
Whatever you do, please keep all the attorneys as Ace tier please. It’s too perfect.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Page 1:
View attachment 246329

Page 2:
View attachment 246330

Honorable mentions:
View attachment 246331

This is really cool.

Though I feel like Naruhodo wouldn't be included since his games don't have worldwide releases. I'd probably replace him with Mia.

If we do get villain spirits its definitely got to be Manfred and Dahlia though.

It's hard because I doubt we'd get more than two pages of spirits....but I agree with the other person that I think Ema Skye also deserves to be here.

On another note I think it would be cool to have a spirit called "The Witnesses" and have a group of them as one spirit. I think that's more realistic than having any of them individually.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
how bout the nightmare judge?
Only appeared for a dream. Be odd to see it in court...

Judge's brother would be a nice detail, but I genuinely believe even Capcom forgot he existed.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Only appeared for a dream. Be odd to see it in court...

Judge's brother would be a nice detail, but I genuinely believe even Capcom forgot he existed.
I could see nightmare judge as Phoenix’s final smash maybe, with the ringtone and all playing as the gavel strikes down on any opponent caught.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I could see nightmare judge as Phoenix’s final smash maybe, with the ringtone and all playing as the gavel strikes down on any opponent caught.
I think that would be too similar to UMVC3 for my liking. For his FS I'd like something similar to Megaman's.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'll be surprised if Phoenix final smash ain't either his level 2 or 3 hyper from UMvsC3, the cornered is particularly too iconic and the most dramatic moments of the series to simply ignore. It'd be kinda neat if Mia's spirit appeared behind him or something similar to the ending of T&T to showcase he carries on her legacy or something, unlikely as that'd be.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Interesting that they use the sparkle as the series icon. I guess it's the only consistent thing in all of the logos.

Edit:
I've listened to the full playlist and I really like the selection. The selection of anime songs and his UMVC3 song is quite surprising. Though I would like to see more casual songs get remixes.
I can’t really see anything other than the sparkle for the symbol, honestly. Maybe an attorney’s badge or a transparent speech bubble? The sparkle fits perfectly due to its consistency but I’m still not sure what it’s meant to represent.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
If not the sparkle or an attorney's badge, I could see them using the stylized exclamation mark that's a part of the OBJECTION!, HOLD IT!, etc effects, but I could see the argument of it being too close to Snake's series icon, even if they'd look significantly different.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
If not the sparkle or an attorney's badge, I could see them using the stylized exclamation mark that's a part of the OBJECTION!, HOLD IT!, etc effects, but I could see the argument of it being too close to Snake's series icon, even if they'd look significantly different.
If Kirby and Terry can both have stars, I’m sure it won’t be an issue if they go that route.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
The sparkle fits perfectly due to its consistency but I’m still not sure what it’s meant to represent.
I've seen certain imagery in media that looks similar to it. Maybe it's supposed to mean Judgement?

Edit: changed wording

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I can’t really see anything other than the sparkle for the symbol, honestly. Maybe an attorney’s badge or a transparent speech bubble? The sparkle fits perfectly due to its consistency but I’m still not sure what it’s meant to represent.
i always thought it was meant to be some kind of gleam of light that shines of his finger when he points

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I've made an updated version of the custom spirit board I've shared a few pages ago.
Page 1:
Ace Attorney Spirit Board Page 1.png

Page 2:
Ace Attorney Spirit Board Page 2.png

Honorable mentions:
Honorable Mentions.png

I've put the images in a spoiler this time, so that way people who have already seen the first one don't have to see it again. Here's a small summary of all the things I've changed/added:
  • moved most of the spirits to a different spot on the board, it doesn't start with a legendary spirit anymore;
  • swapped out Ryūnosuke Naruhodō for Mia Fey, based on Sabrewulf238 Sabrewulf238 's suggestion, it makes a lot of sense. Normally characters from an unlocalized game have a bit of change to appear as a spirit, but this is Capcom's characters we're talking about, not Nintendo's. Capcom most likely has no interest in localizing the Dai Gyakuten Saiban games, so I don't think Ryunosuke has a change in getting in as a spirit;
  • added in spirits for Ema Skye, Marvin Grossberg, Steel Samurai, Missile and a spirit based of the witnesses idea Sabrewulf238 Sabrewulf238 had in the honorable mentions section.
The honorable mentions spirits pretty much make a full third page if you think about it. I also put Ema Skye at the far left in the mentions, because she's pretty much the most important ones of them all. I couldn't decide which spirit from the board I had to replace for her.

I might make more spirit boards based on other franchises if I have the time for it. I'd really love to make one based of Team Fortress 2 one day.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So going by that "Rule of 6" Mii costume theory leak, it looks like we will definitely be getting another Capcom, Square-Enix, and Namco-Bandai reps. I believe without a doubt the next Capcom rep will be Phoenix Wright.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
So going by that "Rule of 6" Mii costume theory leak, it looks like we will definitely be getting another Capcom, Square-Enix, and Namco-Bandai reps. I believe without a doubt the next Capcom rep will be Phoenix Wright.
what's that rule?
With Ultimate being nominated as GotY, I suppose a potential win could be followed by whoever closes the DLC?
I'm also surprised to see Death Stranding there given how polarizing it turned out to be, and I sure as hell laughed seeing Jump Force nominated as fighting game of the year lol.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I believe without a doubt the next Capcom rep will be Phoenix Wright.
Whoa, just wait a sec thre pal, I do think Nick is a bit slept on and hes literally the only character left I genuinely want in Smash, but I wouldn't make such a bold statement.
Let us just keep our expectations low, ok?

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I believe without a doubt the next Capcom rep will be Phoenix Wright.
I wouldn't go as far to say that Wright will "without a doubt" be the next Capcom rep. Yes, he has a lot going for him and is one of the more likely candidates, but there's also the possibility of a Resident Evil or Monster Hunter rep, two IPs of Capcom's that are doing pretty well and popular right now, and has more relevance than the Ace Attorney series at the moment. Yes, the "character has to be fun, not relevant" argument still stands, but that's Sakurai's ideology on the subject, not Capcom's, who has to give him the rights to the character at the end of the day.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, now you're just tempting fate into proving you wrong. That rarely ends well.

There is no logical "order" as to who's coming next. :ult_terry:

what's that rule?
With Ultimate being nominated as GotY, I suppose a potential win could be followed by whoever closes the DLC?
I'm also surprised to see Death Stranding there given how polarizing it turned out to be, and I sure as hell laughed seeing Jump Force nominated as fighting game of the year lol.
Fighter Pass, rather, since there is more DLC planned afterwards.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Fighter Pass, rather, since there is more DLC planned afterwards.
WRight, I should have worded that better.
If sabis words are to be believed (more specifically, no Doomslayer or Crash as fighter #5), I do think a Capcom character is pretty likely for a game awards reveal, but I do have my doubts of Phoenix being it, if not because it's going through somewhat of a hiatus at the moment, because I don't think the franchise ever had much of a presence for awards outside of maybe best handheld title? Not like that's an end all be all, but for such an event, you'd think they'd at least pick someone a bit more...relatively known or current than Phoenix to reveal, otherwise a regular Nintendo direct would be better for that. I guess AA7 being revealed remediates that a bit, but I doubt both things would drop during the same event.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I genuinely doubt that we'll get a Capcom character at the VGAs, even if RE2 is nominated.

Remember when people thought :ulthero: was going to be revealed at the VGAs since DQXI was nominated for a category? And yet...:ultjoker:

The point is, the outcome is not always the one that would make the most sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom