• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TA Presents: *Pound* V 2 DAYS !Pools Posted at www.vgbootcamp.com BRING SETUPS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
is the sf4 fee include venue also? If I wanted to enter melee and sf4 how much would that be? You said that if you enter melee and brawl you only pay venue once but what about sf4. I'm also really interested in going, it all depends on my financial status and how much I improve by then.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
@plank...tloz quit around the time brawl came out...59JS stuck around for a little bit longer but quit as well. old school NC melee has...lord karn, darksyde, and LOZR. thats about it

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
is the sf4 fee include venue also? If I wanted to enter melee and sf4 how much would that be? You said that if you enter melee and brawl you only pay venue once but what about sf4. I'm also really interested in going, it all depends on my financial status and how much I improve by then.
sf is $10 to add on to any smash event

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
gotta get a hotel room this time

and enter SSFIV for the hell of it

and **** in brawl

tourney is going to be too **** good. plank i think i <3 you

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
im gonna keep registration list closed for a little bit =p

dudeeeeee hbox WAY underestimating. I predict at LEAST 400, probably up to 500. I mean come on, this is my last tournament and the LAST pound..why WOULDNT you come?? paired with the -perfect- venue for an optimal and convenient weekend, i just cant see any excuse to not come.

seriously though if i dont hit 400 ill be disappointed.

I've doubled in numbers every pound until this one so only going up like 30 entrants would be....sad.

i expect way more, and im preparing for way more :-D

Between brawl, melee, and SF, i expect over 1k people in the venue. I am not cutting any event short this tournament, its gonna be the best for everyone ^___^

for the record: all the attendance numbers ive predicted for all previous pounds during the beginning stages have been superseded by far, lets see if this will be the same :p

stingers

Smash Obsessed
plank i think you will hit 400. pound 4 was the most hyped tourney by far maybe short of genesis...but this will be bigger and better

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Yeah this event is going to be nuts. Plank we will talk after Raleigh about sponsor and media stuff. May as well get started on it early :)

WassupJB

Smash Lord
moving to norcal? wow, you'll see how beastly the melee scene is and how much of a disappointment the brawl scene is.

rhan

Smash Hero
I can already just hear how much **** the SF community is going to talk on not only Brawl but Melee...

Will the tourneys be in seperate rooms? That'll be best if we want to avoid all the hate between each game.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
they probably won't be able to start **** because we'll be shouting too loud from the hype.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
i assume its for 360...whatever the srk community typically does
from my experience with the SoVa SF4 scene [infinitely better than its Melee scene, LOL] they have both systems available. Some players only play on one or the other while others have sticks that can play on both. Haven't heard any complaints about it, granted I don't know the nuances between the two if there are any

WWJD, yeah. Spectator fee will be mandatory to pay online this time because so many people took advantage of my kindness last time and didn't pay the spectator fee at all =[
I have yet to go to a Smash tournament with legitimate "door people."

Which is to say: People who stay at all available entrances because that is their job. Obviously it doesn't have to be the same people the whole time...you should have shifts.

But the point is, in order to truly limit theft [via stolen consoles/TVs/spectator fees], you will need to have (read: pay for) a legit team of people who will enforce things along the lines of:
- proper identification of your status at the tourney (entrant/spectator/staff...I think JB did something along the lines of color coded wrist bands?...I've used this method and it worked beautifully for ensuring the collection of all spectator fees)
- proper(something "official" is best imo) labeling of TVs, Consoles, Power Strips (Laptops?)
- proper monitoring of both of these things...

No one will assume that staff member is "on a high horse" or whatever for constantly asking those coming and going to see their wrist band or to make sure the labels on the consoles/TVs they're taking from the venue match who they are....because that'd be there job.

If anyone says it's too time consuming or you'd rather not have your spectator/venue fees go toward something like this, don't bother going to the mic and reporting your **** missing like SOOOO many people at Apex, holy SH*T there was so much stuff just straight up MISSING @_@.

Yeah we're all smashers and we all love to believe we can leave our **** lying around anywhere [I've done just that before without thinking]...but there have been way too many thefts at tourneys to justify just "trusting" that the community will step it up and "stop stealing" LOL

This might require limiting the number of available entrances significantly (people will honestly get over that after a bit and once they know the reasoning behind it)...it might have to be limited to just one or two entrances (though I don't know the venue layout)

Along with theft being reduced, you won't need to require online reg for spectator fees :)

TL;DR
- Have color coded wrist bands for entrants/spectators
- Have an official labeling system for TVs/Consoles/Laptops/etc
- Hire a full-time staff to monitor these things and enforce the appropriate rules

stingers

Smash Obsessed
toastys ideas sound really ****. the only problem comes in with...people can still steal things by hiding wiis/gcns in backpacks and walking out...you can't have people searching backpacks, that's just crazy. same thing for sd cards in wiis for brawl and all the hacked variants

rhan

Smash Hero
People are grimey. Which is why I keep everything that belong to me on my person and keep a close watch on my setups. I always try to walk by and watch matches on whatever setup I may bring.

Man I hate thievery so much..

That wristband idea is awesome! But it seems like another accessory to have on your person. Instead why not have the name tags color coded for people who entered events and for the people that paid the spectator fee. Labeling your **** is always best to do. Also keeping a personal list of EVERYTHING you brought to the tourney. I always have a checklist whenever I travel to a tourney and plan to stay more than one day. Helps one keep track of their **** and it's a good wy to stay organized.

Just throwing out my ideas. The list thing is kinda common sense but a little emphasis doesn't hurt. <3

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I recommend two things.

A wristband AND a stamp should be enforced. For those that could honestly, somehow accidentally, lose their wristband. If they want to avoid troubles, they reveal their stamp which is something you can't really lose easily if it's printed on the back of your hand. It's a great failsafe.

So long as you make a personal stamp for Kage that gives him the Triforce of Power. LOL jk anyway, that's my two cents.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
There's only one entrance to the venue i believe since it's a ballroom. Since the venue is 24 hours/day, i already planned on taking some sort of extended security measure.

I feel like the more organized a tournament is, the less inclined **** is to get stolen. At pound 4 there were very very few things stolen. But nonetheless I should definitely be able to work this out.

I'll brainstorm what I think is the most legit way for our equipment to be safe, as well as an organized system to show that everyone has paid without bogging down the player with tons of extra **** to hold onto. It'll definitely be something along the lines of toasty's idea, but when I figure out for sure what we will be doing i'll run it by you guys to make sure we are all in agreeance

I can already just hear how much **** the SF community is going to talk on not only Brawl but Melee...

Will the tourneys be in seperate rooms? That'll be best if we want to avoid all the hate between each game.
At CEO this wasn't a huge problem and it was 1 giant room. However the rooms here ARE separated slightly (through little walkways, kinda like apex) but i'm going to see what walls I can take down and such. I don't like walling the games off of each other, I think it promotes segregation even more than it already exists

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
CEO was awesome. Plank was there he knows.

Basically, SF and Smash came together in a really good/fun tournament. Slowly the 2 communities are becoming alot more friendlier. Its the stupid kids who talk **** back and forth that cause all the drama.

strawhats

Smash Master
I'll feel out my schedule and **** for college (being a freshman and all)...if possible ill definitely try to make this my first legit tourney.

Anyone from Connecticut willing to give me a ride to this (i'll be in school by then so if i am able to go id help pay for gas as well)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Yeah, since the venue is open 24/7 there will be plenty of time for everything. Those side tournaments will happen most likely during odd (late potentially) hours, but they will happen!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
I'm just gonna iterate that wristbands be the way to go...the kind that they give you at concerts and **** and don't come off easily [you have to put a good deal of effort into tearing them off or you have to cut them...either way the **** doesn't happen by accident] and they won't rip if you wear them in the shower so you don't have to worry about that...

also, and more importantly, it's infinitely easier to scan a crowd of what looks to be over 1,000 people to see if people are wearing a brightly colored wristband as opposed to having to look at something like a namebadge in search of a small indicator of what their "status" is...

besides, walk-in spectators won't necessarily have "name-badges" as it is, so it's much easier to just give them a wristband and be done with it

alsoalso: we say lists are common sense, but HONESTLY how many tourneys (even the really big ones) have had legit lists of "TV #___ belongs to ___ and Gamecube #____ belongs to ____, etc"? It's time consuming, obviously, but it is sooo worth the time, IMO.

This isn't going to be some midsized event where you can gather a handful of people who collectively know EVERYONE, so yeah "necessary precautions are necessary"

Also, and maybe I'm just crazy and maybe I don't think it's a big deal because airport security and brown-boys like myself don't exactly have the friendliest of recent histories, but yeah bags don't need to be searched under srutinizing detail but I think you should at least open it to show whether or not you're carrying consoles [at which point the labels would have to match whoever's carrying it]

"what if your friend leaves and tells you to take his Cube back when you leave?"
simple: the person who it's labeled under just goes to the setup "registration" table and tells them who's going to be taking it from the venue.

probably won't have to go to all these lengths but after all the **** I heard getting lost/stolen at Apex, I'd much rather limit as much theft as possible

it's sad that I'm even having to post about this but us naive/trusting/too-kind smashers are...well...just that. most people suck, unfortunately, and ruin it for everyone else :(

10realitychecks

Prawn

Smash Master
k so all i gotta say is

i'll have that good stuff

LETS GET IT IN

Prawn

Smash Master
oh and also im gonna be smart and not wait til the day before to im the TO and beg to let me register at the door like i did for apex lmaoroflcopter

seriously im registering ASAP

I HOPE I GET TO STAND UNCOMFORTABLY CLOSE TO HUNGRYBOX IN A HOTEL BATHROOM AGAIN

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Yo Plairnkk, this is a hotel/venue tournament or nah?

If so im in chea like swimchea.

Prawn

Smash Master
JESUS ****ING CHRIST IM SO ****ING EXCITED

i love you plank

I LOVE EVERYONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom