• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So how long does everyone work out for when they go to the gym in regards to lifting weights? Since I'm just getting back into the thick of things, I roughly do 45 to an hour.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'd say about an hour with actual weights, but my total gym time is a bit more since I like to start with cardio and finish off with warm down exercises.

GOD!

Smash Ace
So how long does everyone work out for when they go to the gym in regards to lifting weights? Since I'm just getting back into the thick of things, I roughly do 45 to an hour.
Like 15-30 minutes.
You can be in the gym for an hour.. but there's like no point. You don't need to do five sets of everything to grow.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'd say about an hour with actual weights, but my total gym time is a bit more since I like to start with cardio and finish off with warm down exercises.
My cardio warm up is my 15 min jog there in the blistering heat .-. Cool down is 25 min walk back. But yea, in the gym strictly, roughly 45 mins.

Like 15-30 minutes.
You can be in the gym for an hour.. but there's like no point. You don't need to do five sets of everything to grow.
What kind of program are you on? Never heard of someone hittin the gym for 15-30 mins.

M.K

Level 55
Okay! Day 1 of my "Go to the Gym Every Day On Your Fall Break" Plan is now passed and I totally went to the gym!
Doing a mixture of Cardio and Strength Machines. Cardio went surprisingly awesome today, but I could definitely tell my arms were feeling the burn today, after not working out for so long. I took a week off to focus on my midterms. Probably not the best idea, but I couldn't handle the stress/needed to study/was very lazy.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Okay! Day 1 of my "Go to the Gym Every Day On Your Fall Break" Plan is now passed and I totally went to the gym!
Doing a mixture of Cardio and Strength Machines. Cardio went surprisingly awesome today, but I could definitely tell my arms were feeling the burn today, after not working out for so long. I took a week off to focus on my midterms. Probably not the best idea, but I couldn't handle the stress/needed to study/was very lazy.
During midterms I find a 15 minute jog to be relaxing and stress relieving. I don't really work out during midterms or finals week either though, so don't worry :p.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
My cardio warm up is my 15 min jog there in the blistering heat .-. Cool down is 25 min walk back. But yea, in the gym strictly, roughly 45 mins.
My cardio is a 400 metre swim. :3

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
im typically in the gym for 1.5 hours. cause my aim is power, it means my rests are a lot longer.

cardio takes about 2 hours typically, cause my warm up last about an hour if you include sprinting drills.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Three hours of Tae Kwon Do three times a week is my workout now. Good cardio, good plyo. Not really focusing on strength since I'm a flyweight and I reallly just need speed.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Lately I've been going to the gym just to do lower body machines and spot my girlfriend on bench. Convinced the hospital to bump my xray to next Wednesday, the 6th. They said the average scaphoid break is 8 weeks, but then again, I did get run over by a van. If I'm healed it will be a total of 10 weeks in a cast. God I want to lift so bad :(

GOD!

Smash Ace
What kind of program are you on? Never heard of someone hittin the gym for 15-30 mins.
What kind of program has you in the gym for anywhere over and hour? That's insane. (Not directed at you personally). I don't get why you would do cardio in a gym. Get a bike or run outside. I get doing low impact elliptical stuff, but I don't get treadmills, unless you're an elite runner and you're doing like 100 miles per week. Then outside can get boring and frustrating.

Also I have soccer 3-4 days a week so that's a good workout. If I'm in the gym for 40 minutes any day, I don't give my body recovery time. If I overwork, I get sick, and that sets me way back.
Lately I've been going to the gym just to do lower body machines and spot my girlfriend on bench. Convinced the hospital to bump my xray to next Wednesday, the 6th. They said the average scaphoid break is 8 weeks, but then again, I did get run over by a van. If I'm healed it will be a total of 10 weeks in a cast. God I want to lift so bad :(
Ouch...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I wasn't accusing your workout of being wrong or anything. I was just curious to know what do you do in the gym in terms of exercises, sets, and rest rate to get you done that fast. Personally, I usually do 4-5 exercises per session, and the 45-1 minute rest per set, and a few minutes between each exercise easily eclipses 30 minutes.

M.K

Level 55
Does anyone else chew gum while they workout?

It kinda helps for me....don't really know WHAT but I like it.

GOD!

Smash Ace
I wasn't accusing your workout of being wrong or anything. I was just curious to know what do you do in the gym in terms of exercises, sets, and rest rate to get you done that fast. Personally, I usually do 4-5 exercises per session, and the 45-1 minute rest per set, and a few minutes between each exercise easily eclipses 30 minutes.
Yeah I know. sorry if sounded defensive or anything.
I usually do 2 or 3 different exercises. 3 sets each. Not a lot of rest per set unless it's the last set for the exercise and I'm really gonna kill it. I've had issues with overtraining and doing this doesn't wear me out mentally, while still getting me gains.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Makes sense. But considering how I also incorporate warm up sets, I guess that's a reason to tack on some extra minutes.

Anyways, since Ramadan just ended for me a while back and I'm playing catch up again on my gains, I'm gonna go ahead and ask this here to prepare me for next year. Anyone have advice on what I can do to limit my losses while I'm fasting? For those that don't know, Ramadan lasts one month, and I'm not allowed to drink or have food from Sun up to Sun down. In the Summer, that's easily 14 hours of no food. Anyone have tips on what kind of diet and regime I can take at the gym to try and maintain or reduce my losses? It gets super frustrating to make good gains throughout the year only to lose a lot of it in one month.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Tell me what you guys think about this. I kind of found that having a few beers, like 2-4, helps my work out. I work out immediately after drinking because after a while the buzz will leave and cause me to be tired. If you do it right after drinking though, you get those booze muscles and a bit of a motivation to lift. Maybe there's a nutritional reason not to do this, idk, so I'm not going to do it much until I hear something on it.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm interested in hearing how it's bad nutrition wise. A few beers is not going to get anyone buzzed enough to mess up with their work out. I'm not suggesting it as a thing before every workout either.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
So my friend is moving to New York for a year and he said I could have all his weights.

I'm psyched to be getting them because now I can build some decent muscle!

That combined with swimming in between my weights days should have me ripped.

I'll indulge in tuna too for protein.

YEEEAAAAHHHH!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Day 30 is coming up soon and I feel great. I'm looking to pick up some other physical activities but I don't know what yet. Thanks to everyone for all of your help. In particular I want to thank shmot, tigerwoods and theboredone. I couldn't have done it without you guys. I'm looking forward to Day 60 now.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Beer isn't bad nutrition in moderation. Getting hammered off it obviously is though.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It comes from excess carbs and the high energy released by alcohol metabolism.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So my friend is moving to New York for a year and he said I could have all his weights.

I'm psyched to be getting them because now I can build some decent muscle!

That combined with swimming in between my weights days should have me ripped.

I'll indulge in tuna too for protein.

YEEEAAAAHHHH!
Oh snap.

**** maybe I could get my cousins weights now he's off to uni. Finding room in the house for them is going to be a pain though.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Isn't the concept of people who get a "beer belly" based off getting hammered and drinking unnecessary amounts?
It comes from excess carbs and the high energy released by alcohol metabolism.
Beer bellies are a myth. You don't get one from drinking it.

Generally people who OD on beer OD on other junk too though... that would be the cause of the beer belly.

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah beer bellies happen because of lack of exercise, not because of drinking beer. i know plenty of borderline alcoholics who would not in a million years be caught out of shape

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Alcohol increases your oestrogen levels.

Encourages you to deposit fat in your belly and boobies.

But yeah obv those who get them get it from being lazy slobs in addition to drinking.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Yesterday was the end of my first month, I'd post pictures but i r self conscious.

I'm going to try and gain more weight this month. I gained 3 pounds over the last month but I'd like to get at least 7 this time around. Wish me luck and any advice is always appreciated.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
3 pounds is nothing bad in your first month. That's basically saying out of 4 weeks, you got a lb in each time. As much as it is great to eat a lot and all, don't overdo it and get desperate (junk food).

Top Bottom