• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

So I drink a lot of milk, and first it was supposed to be healthy, then it wasn't etc.
I don't really care for it being healthy like that, never had anything from it, but is drinking 1 litre of milk a day smart for fitness?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
milk has a lot of fat and calories so it depends on your goals. but you can never go wrong with water. i drink like a gallon of water a day.

ps: 2 days til next xray!!! oh god im so excited

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
So, I'm about to go do my new work out. I revised it a little so let me know what you all think.

This is per session: (I try to do three a day)

1 set of squats (15-20)
1 set of Pushups (15-20)
1 set of SitUps (20-25)
1 set of Jumping Jacks (75-100)

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I just found out one of my friends, who got big out of nowhere during the summer, had been taking steroids the whole time. After I thought about it, it wasn't such a surprise, because he was always leaving something early because he didn't want to mess up his "cycle", and when I asked him about how he was getting so big he always sounded apprehensive to tell me. He had tried working out before and never got that big. He mentioned about muscle dysmorphia, which I'm guessing is when he pictures his muscles as never being big enough and it comes with a lack of self confidence. He is pretty popular and well liked, but I think he always saw himself as the skinny guy compared to me.

I wished him luck on his next cycle, and told him how I find working out as rewarding in ways other than my superficial appearance. I'm aware that there is a lot of false information on steroids, that they're deadly and all that, but I still don't think they're a good thing, especially for someone that's only concern is confidence. I wonder, how common is it for young people to be taking steroids?

Jane

Smash Hero
im trying to eat a more healthy, wholesome breakfast. but it has to be relatively easy and fast to make.

could anyone help me out with personal recommendations, or links or something?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
edit: ^^^^ i eat oatmeal EVERY morning, its delicious and easy. toss in some yogurt/fruit to round it out, maybe some eggs

i dont have any personal issue with friends or colleagues who use steroids but imo the best part of working out is feeling healthy. looking better and getting praise from others is just icing on the cake, i cant imagine enjoying that without earning it. that your friend was even embarrassed to admit it is kinda sad.

Build muscle
you're gonna want to lift heavy to build muscle. if youre a student, try to take advantage of your school's exercise resources. if you don't have access to weights or a gym, start working on one legged squats, raise your feet for pushups, and drop a few bux on a pullup/dip bar, but really, try to get into a gym.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
I have a body composition test coming up, 30 days from today. It will test BMI, body fat, the strength of a few different lifts, flexibility, and how our cardiovascular system reacts to a short run. I'm really excited for it. I'm a Division 1 Track runner, sprinter more specifically. Not a skinny little distance runner, lol. But I've still kicked out a 4:42 mile, on the same day I ran a 10.7 in the 100m, hehehe. It's the distances in between I struggle with (good thing I don't run them anymore).

Over the past month I've been eating things like Mac'n Cheese, Eggo waffles, swedish meatballs, Pop Tarts, Doritos, and even a little pizza. Well I'm not eating any of that stuff for a while. I was 10% bodyfat 2 weeks ago, 160 lbs, (I'm 5'10"), benching 250 lbs, squatting 325. And 37 pullups too, I randomly felt like training for 'Ultimate Ninja Warrior' during our offseason, lol.
So over the next month I plan on getting 8 hours of sleep every night, and not eating anything unless it's on the food pyramid (whole grain wheats, pasta, chicken, lean beef, SEAFOOD, FRUITS/VEGETABLES, eggs, skim milk, low fat dairies.) It's gonna be a gooood month.

I can give a more detailed training regimen if anyone wants to see that kind of stuff. Not for beginners though.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I wished him luck on his next cycle, and told him how I find working out as rewarding in ways other than my superficial appearance. I'm aware that there is a lot of false information on steroids, that they're deadly and all that, but I still don't think they're a good thing, especially for someone that's only concern is confidence. I wonder, how common is it for young people to be taking steroids?
Juicing really does screw you up in the long run. Yeah, they're honestly not as bad as people make them out to be, but synthetic molecules that mimic hormones just scream trouble.

Oh well his choice anyway, it's not like I don't understand the appeal.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So, I'm about to go do my new work out. I revised it a little so let me know what you all think.

This is per session: (I try to do three a day)

1 set of squats (15-20)
1 set of Pushups (15-20)
1 set of SitUps (20-25)
1 set of Jumping Jacks (75-100)
So are you doing these three times a day at different junctures? I don't really see the point if that's the case. Lower your reps down to 6-8, and do exercises that use more than one part of your body. By building muscle, I assume you wanna add on mass? I would start with a 3-4 times a week routine. Check out Shmot's beginner FAQ on the first page and read up on how to go about your business.

edit: ^^^^ i eat oatmeal EVERY morning, its delicious and easy. toss in some yogurt/fruit to round it out, maybe some eggs
I hope it's not just plain oatmeal, I can't stand the taste of that xP. I usually mix something in with it (brown sugar or honey). Normally though, my goal is to get 500 calories out of my breakfast, so I go with 8 oz of 2% milk, bowl of cornflakes with milk, two slices of toast bread, and a granola bar. Not exactly super healthy, but it gets the job done. I tend to focus more on carbs in the morning than later in the day.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Juicing really does screw you up in the long run. Yeah, they're honestly not as bad as people make them out to be, but synthetic molecules that mimic hormones just scream trouble.

Oh well his choice anyway, it's not like I don't understand the appeal.
The irony is that the steroids he takes shrinks his testicles, and I guess the reason he is doing it is for sex appeal and to be more manly. It's like he's only in a costume of a man, because underneath
his pants
he isn't any more of a man.

The effects though, he says, can be reversed by taking certain medication. But wouldn't those pills have effects as well? Hopefully nobody here takes the roids, I really don't see them as worth the trouble if the only purpose is for one's image.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
your testicles will shrink from roids, yes, but provided you cycle correctly, they should grow back to normal size when you're off them. main effects are those on your liver and kidneys, which can be buffed with certain other drugs, but will still negatively effect them. i'm not going into detail here, but bottom line is that you will hurt yourself in the long run (most users just use them to get past a plateau anyway, which has very little side effect), although they aren't as bad as they're often made to be.

provided he's well past puberty, i don't think it really matters either way, provided he's not telling people he's natural. he's gotta have the balls to admit stuff like that (pun intended lolol).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Aren't steroids illegal? I mean...not asking how he's getting them, but meh. I hate athletes who use steroids, so I don't hold much respect for this guy, even if it is on a limited basis or whatever.

I wanted to take pics before I started working out again, and see my overall progress, but no digi cam here. Phone fails .-.

Attila_

BRoomer
usage of steroids, and the selling of steroids by a qualified pharmacist (or equivalent) to a patient with a prescription is legal. anything outside that, however, is illegal.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
usage of steroids, and the selling of steroids by a qualified pharmacist (or equivalent) to a patient with a prescription is legal. anything outside that, however, is illegal.
Hm, I see. Though I do wonder what you would have to do to get those steroids prescribed (condition and symptoms to be treated). I remember one time my doctor suggested a treatment for my allergies that would involve a shot of steroids every year until I was 20. After that, I would be allergy free. Mom didn't want me taking that route, so yea lol.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Honestly, people should use HGH instead of roids.

Can't believe I just suggested that.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Hm, I see. Though I do wonder what you would have to do to get those steroids prescribed (condition and symptoms to be treated). I remember one time my doctor suggested a treatment for my allergies that would involve a shot of steroids every year until I was 20. After that, I would be allergy free. Mom didn't want me taking that route, so yea lol.
Steroids are a broad range of molecules that are naturally found in your body that resemble a particular ring structure and are made of fat...

Not all are used for muscle growth. Steroids used in allergies are not anabolic steriods... they are corticosteroids. They resemble cortisol and can block the production of items that trigger inflammatory actions... reducing the effects of allergies. You will not get more muscle mass from taking "steroids" for allergies.

Anabolic steroids are very specific and are supposed to mimic certain male sex hormones that effect skeletal muscle

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
IM FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

after 10 weeks my cast came off today!! still cant lift til im cleared through PT, but god it feels so good. ahh holy **** i cannot wait to DESTROY myself in the gym

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Haha, nice 18spikes. When are you officially gonna be in the gym?

So, I'm officially benching my own weight! 145 lbs - not that much, but I love that 1:1 ratio, and I can only go up, right?

I'm aiming to gain those 5+ pound by the end of the week though. I've been skipping breakfast pretty regularly, but I'mma change that starting tomorrow. Problem is, I'm not really hungry that early - but I can at least shovel down some oatmeal. 18, when you mentioned yogurt and eggs, you don't put that in the oatmeal, do you?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
idk im waiting on a call from the hospital sometime today to schedule PT. i was told explicitly not to lift until pt told me i could :( but getting the cast off is a HUGE first step, so im extremely happy despite still being unable to lift

i don't eat those with the oatmeal, just after. i like brown sugar and syrup, or strawberries in my oatmeal, and i always put a lil milk on top. eggs i just hardboil a dozen and eat em on and off. im an awful cook.

Omis

my friends were skinny
What are some good pec exercises? Maybe its my genetics, but the rest of my upper body is progressing much faster than my chest.

Doesnt HGH give you a ****ed up jawline?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Good stuff 18spikes. Hope you can get back into it soon enough.

Awesome Meno. Keep up the good work. Benching and repping your own weight can't be done by a lot of people, so you are progressing fine.

Has anyone taken long breaks from lifting weights and gone back into it? Is the road to getting back to where you were faster than a new guy starting out?

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff 18spikes. Hope you can get back into it soon enough.

Awesome Meno. Keep up the good work. Benching and repping your own weight can't be done by a lot of people, so you are progressing fine.

Has anyone taken long breaks from lifting weights and gone back into it? Is the road to getting back to where you were faster than a new guy starting out?
I've gone around two weeks a couple of times and about a month one time with out touching a weight. The trick, if I know I'll be on vacation, is to do a lot of pushups, situps, and other nonweight exercises, and in my experience, my progress won't change. But when I took those breaks that lasted weeks without exercising, it took me about two weeks to get back where I was. That's about two cycles of going through every muscle, and on the third I was back. Since I've been working out, I've never gone over one month without lifting, and that was only on one occasion.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Good to hear. Two more questions I have that been bothering me for a while...

Is there a limit to how much protein is too much in a shake? Normally after post workout or before I sleep, I have roughly 50 grams of protein. But if I added another scoop of whey, I would have 74 grams. Does there come a point where it's too much?

Second question, I usually take my protein shake (600 calories in total) an hour or two before I sleep. My roommate on the other hand takes a 900 calorie shake an hour before he sleeps. I figure sleeping like that would be bad for you. I don't know...it just doesn't seem right to have that much before sleeping.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I think shmot said the body can only digest about 60 (?) grams of protein at once so anything over that would be pointless.

And this is just what I've heard from other athletes but they usually take their last "meal" two hours before sleeping.

Attila_

BRoomer
id have to find evidence again, but from memory its around 30-40 (depending on the individual).

athletes need carbs all the time, so they eat pretty soon before bed, but bodybuilders and people trying to lose weight would never even think about it.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
This Sounds interesting:)

I would like to say that I AM an athlete, the only problem is that I weigh 270 pounds. Although I can run quite fast for my weight(I ran a mile in 11 minutes), I'd like it to be less fat and more muscle. I'd like to keep my weight above 240 pounds if possible, if I could have it be mostly muscle weight

nicenice

Smash Rookie
This Sounds interesting:)

I would like to say that I AM an athlete, the only problem is that I weigh 270 pounds. Although I can run quite fast for my weight(I ran a mile in 11 minutes), I'd like it to be less fat and more muscle. I'd like to keep my weight above 240 pounds if possible, if I could have it be mostly muscle weight
Yup, that sounds nice.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I had such a great week! I wanted to start everything off right so I began using creatine for the first time this week and made sure I was getting the right amount of calories and protein. I was going to wait until Saturday to weigh myself but I ended up somehow rationalizing that today would be the best day to do it. I had read that if you start using creatine that you could gain 5-7 pounds in your first week. I didn't believe it but I weighed myself and I gained 4 pounds this week! I'm so stoked right now!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Well, im pretty fit being in various sports such as wrestling, track and field, and cross country (although i play other sprots casually too). And I also have 2 gym classes a day. So yeah, I work out 5 days a week :)

Heres a tip newbies: rectus abdominus muscles can be worked on virtually everyday (important to only work out 5 days a week though) since they recover faster then any other muscle, so dont worry tooo much about working the abs if you do already :p. Everything else, take a day break in between and alternate body parts.

btw, here's a before picture, working to get...bigger i guess.

http://i52.tinypic.com/6446fb.jpg

Top Bottom