• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Doesn't hurt to let your inner fat kid out once and a while. I ate like 1/3 of the potato casserole today, along with a t-bone steak. and then 5-6 hours later I tried to eat mcdonalds and failed, but those fries were amazingg.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I ate nothing but McDonald's for about a week once.

Was amazing.

soju

SD God
meh its true that it doesn't hurt to gourge yourself every once in a while, but you should still try and avoid junky food plus im on a wrestling diet, so McDonald's luxiorious fries is a nono for me XD

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
When I get a chance later I'll take a pic of my traps.It's a classic "wrestler " muscle to have.(Looks at batista)

I'm pretty sure everyone puts me to shame though.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's a classic badman muscle to have, havin' dem traps poppin out yo colla like a pregnant woman's belly.

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
This thread is so awesome, I've been planning to work out for some time now but things def. need to get settled before I can actually start working out.
I'm a skinny guy that is looking to gain weight and get bigger so hopefully I get some nice tips here

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Honestly more isolated exercises are the best, if your doinitrite.

Obviously mix them in with full body though.

Riddle

Smash Lord
I'm male, 5'9", and about 160 pounds, but most of it is fat. I've started eating a lot better recently but I'd like to gain muscle/lose fat/get in general shape.

Tips? Suggestions? I have access to weights, and I lovveee to swim and can go to the pool every day if I need to.

Edit: And i play tennis 2-3 times a week.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The best stroke for losing fat in swimming is breaststroke. Don't do it at a leisurely pace either, put every ounce of effort you have into the strokes and kicks, that way you really tone up your muscles and burn some fat.

Also, try playing tennis with a 10lb training vest lol, that'll make it intense. X3

I'm 5'9" and 136lb. Personally, I think you should aim to keep your weight, but replace the fat with muscle, trust me, it's not as tall an order as it sounds.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
First time wandering our my comfort zone (Ike boards), and found myself here. I've been lifting weights and playing basketball for a long time. I've studied up on several techniques, diets, and programs. If anyone has any questions for me, or want my opinion, feel free to reply to this or shoot me a message. It's great to see Smash people doing their best to get healthy.

Edit: Not trying to shoot this thread down with my own "arrogance". Just trying to help.
2nd Edit: Fasting during Ramadan has taken a big toll on my gains though v.v...

Pre-Ramadan:

Height: 5'10
Weight: 167
Body Fat: 10%
Bench: 200 lbs
Squat: 305 lbs.
Dead Lift: I forgot
Vertical: Enough to almost dunk. Just needed an inch more.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
5'4-5'5
145lbs
Max Bench = 185
Max Squat = 225
Max Deadlift = 225

I'm looking for a workout program now that school has started. I want to concentrate more on endurance, stamina, and cutting down fat while still getting some gains on my lifts, any suggestions?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
5'4-5'5
145lbs
Max Bench = 185
Max Squat = 225
Max Deadlift = 225

I'm looking for a workout program now that school has started. I want to concentrate more on endurance, stamina, and cutting down fat while still getting some gains on my lifts, any suggestions?
If you're talking about cardio endurance and stamina, then have you ever heard of the HIIT? Hyper Intensive Interval Training. It comes in many shapes and forms (just google the dif styles), but the jist of it is concentrated on hard sprints for a brief time and a "recovery" moment after each sprint. Basically, it's considered one of the best methods in burning fat. You can change the program up as you progress through with gaining more endurance. Overall though, great way to burn fat. On other days, you should primarily be lifting weights to just maintain what you have. When you want to lose fat, you have to have a calorie deficient diet. When you want gains, you need a calorie excessive diet. Tough to do both at the same time.

In my humble opinion, I think at 5'6 and 145, that's nothing bad. You could still add 10 lbs of muscle and it wouldn't hurt your overall look. You may look a bit bulkier, but that's about it.

Oh and far as burning fat goes...remember, 70% of burning fat comes from DIET. If you're eating Wendy's or McDonalds twice a week or something, you're gonna have a hard time. Construct a diet plan that will aid you properly. Get your protein, carbs, and healthy fats in (nuts, flax-seed, omega-3).

If you need anymore help, feel free to ask again or respond to this.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have tips on increasing a max bench? I read several different methods. One was based on a calculation of your current bench. You'd start out with low weight and high reps based on a percentage of your bench, and move up slowly to your max. Then the next week you move up very little in weight, and so on. I heard you should wait at least two days after working triceps and shoulders. For the longest time too, I was using a close grip not realizing it's harder than a wider grip. I feel like I should be benching more based on what I can do with other exercises and the way I look. I'm 5'6, almost 20, 150 lbs, and can bench 270 2 times on a good day.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's always good to give the muscles you work a 48 hour span (so every other day) to recover. Personally, the way I see it, it's best to have a warm up set, build your way up some, and have 3 sets of 8 of your main weight. One of minute of rest between each set, and proper form has to be maintained. Your idea is similar to mine, but I keep to 8 reps all the way out for consistency.

Also, close grip bench is more intensive and works your body parts differently. It's not a bad idea to change to wide grip every now and then.

Just remember, diet is so important. Make sure you're getting 3500 calories assuming you don't do any kind of cardio. You weigh 150 lbs, so get 250-300 grams of protein , 350-450 carbs, and healthy fats.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
I already cut out virtually all fastfood and soda... except sometimes when I'm not completely sober.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Just remember, diet is so important. Make sure you're getting 3500 calories assuming you don't do any kind of cardio. You weigh 150 lbs, so get 250-300 grams of protein , 350-450 carbs, and healthy fats.
I do cardio about every other day, running at least 1 mile those days and up to 5 miles at least once a week on a day. 3500 calories and all those grams of protein and carbs seems like a lot. Honestly, I probably eat half of that a day if I'm lucky. But maybe that's the secret to increasing my max. I try to eat a balanced diet, stay away from junk food, high fructose corn syrup and all those man made ingredients, drink mostly water through out the day and a cup of tea three times a day. I eat healthy, but maybe I just need to eat more?

Riddle

Smash Lord
The best stroke for losing fat in swimming is breaststroke. Don't do it at a leisurely pace either, put every ounce of effort you have into the strokes and kicks, that way you really tone up your muscles and burn some fat.

Also, try playing tennis with a 10lb training vest lol, that'll make it intense. X3

I'm 5'9" and 136lb. Personally, I think you should aim to keep your weight, but replace the fat with muscle, trust me, it's not as tall an order as it sounds.
Whats the best way to replace fat with muscle?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I personally don't believe in degrading your rep count to 4. I've done routines where I only rep 5 times per set, but the problem with that is it builds strength, but not power or muscular endurance. That's why I would rather stick to having my main set of weights being repped 8 times. In any case, sounds like you're blessed with a natural working out body if you only eat half of what I suggested. It's easy to determine your calorie count if you're in control of your own food. All the packages and food you buy will have calories per serving. It's good to see you stay away from the junk food.

In any case, I don't see the point of such excessive cardio, especially if it's jogging. It will keep you conditioned, even help you lose weight, but it's not gonna burn fat. You burn fat by pushing your body to its physical limits in terms of cardio. Google HIIT to see what I'm talking about.

You definitely need to increase your calorie intake to 3500 per day, 4000 on days you do cardio.

Whats the best way to replace fat with muscle?
Fat doesn't get replaced, it's always there. The muscle simply dominates the area where your fat originally was. The only way to get rid of fat is proper nutrition and a good program designed to burn said fat. You can't control where you burn the fat, so if you're hoping for six pack abs, the fat may first have to come off in other areas (arms, thighs, butt, etc)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
About to take my first dose of creatine.

*gulp*

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I'll check out HIIT. It's interesting you say that doesn't burn fat or isn't a good way to burn fat because that was always the notion I was told to believe. Go for a jog and you'll loose fat. I actually enjoy jogging though, especially on a sunny day with some cute girls outside. It makes me feel better for the rest of the day. It's a bit discouraging when people who haven't been lifting as long as me are catching up. I think physically my muscles look better and I probably work harder, and I'm healthier, but with all the proteins and GNC crap they take they get big pretty quick and their progress is faster.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
It might just be me, but being 150lbs and benching 270 is already incredible, I doubt you can find very many people that can even come close to matching that in terms of body weight ratio.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yea, it's definitely a rare sight to see someone lift that much weight at 150 lbs lol. I mean, my max is 200, and I weigh 160. But I'm more bball oriented so I prefer to stay lean and quick rather than have power.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to act like it isn't lol, but I've been working out for about 6 years, since I was a freshman in high school, and have had a steady, well though out gym routine going for 4 years, so I've paid my dues. I wrestled through out high school so that was my inspiration. Then these kids come a long and some are out performing me or getting close to it lol and it's usually after a year and a half. I'm happy with where I'm at and aren't jealous, I just think I could be doing something different to get a better performance.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Mm...

Sigh. May as well post here.

Lemme give y'all my story...

About seven years ago (I'm 16 now), I stopped being as active as I was as a kid, and got into junk food. Sadly common nowadays. I got a nasty belly on me.

That kind of stuck around... for reasons I'm not gonna even think about, I began drastically undereating about three, four months ago for... hell, probably a month and a half. I lost 15 bloody pounds just from that, but it isn't enough. I'm still... protruding.

I've been doing some push-ups and sit-ups at home for a long time, and I'm at about 25 in one sitting each... I can't enroll at a gym or anything, though. So what I'm asking is, well... what are the best simple excercises you can do to get rid of belly and... chest fat?

I'm about 5'7", and 154 or so pounds. According to the BMI thing, I'm just at the upper end of normal weight, but I'm visibly fat. Can't have that. So... *sigh* I'd like a bit of help, here... much appreciated.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hey man, first off, I'd like to say that you're still young and you got a lot of years ahead of you steadily work at this. I understand that not everyone has the luxury of going to a gym, so I'll see what I can do to help with your goals.

So you wanna burn fat? Well, like I've said for a few posts now, good diet. Of course, you will be eating less than the daily recommended (2000). You should be aiming to get in around 1500-1700 calories per day capped off with some good cardio or light weight lifting.

Like I've told some other people, google HIIT and see if you can find one that's appropriate for beginners. Normally it involves a 5 minute jog warm up, 10-15 second sprint, 30 sec to 1 min walk, 10-15 sec sprint, repeat for 30 minutes. This will aid you in your quest to burn fat. Do this 3 times a week. You don't want to burn yourself out.

On off days, you can opt to do some light cardio (jogging) to burn some light calories. If you want to tone up some, but don't have access to gym equipment, get creative. Push ups, crunches, dips, calf raises using some homemade weights (buckets of water are an example). You'll probably spend 20 minutes doing all of this appropriately. Don't go for high number sets. Stretch first, and do each set 3-4 times, 10-15 times. 45 second rest between each set, 2 minutes between each exercise. After that, do some light jogging or biking for 20-30 minutes.

All in all, you should see some results if you stick to it. If you need help on how to construct a good diet, just send me a PM or respond to this post.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
I'm no expert at these things, so take what I say with a grain of salt. There is no way to get rid of belly and chest fat. You can only get rid of fat in general, and that's about 70% diet. I would recommend you get a pull-up bar, those are amazing, and also try to do more pushups, situps, and squats at home, even without weight. The problem with eating a lot less, but not exercising is that your overall overally body fat percentage is probably around the same, and a lot of what you're losing is muscle. That's also why BMI is not the most accurate representation of your overall health. If you want some thing to start up, you can try doing some HIIT on a track or at home, or even just do burpees, mountain climbers, or jumping jacks, and try onehundredpushups.com, and its other affiliated sites.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Been about 2 hours since I've taken creatine and did my workout.

I feel fan-****ing-tastic.

:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:

Either I'm going through the placebo effect, or creatine affects your energy levels.

Also: nice seeing a lot of the new people here! Good luck to everyone, and keep posting. It gives you a small incentive to keep pushing if you post, plus I love reading how everybody's shaping up!

Also, also: yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Make sure you drink plenty of water. Just having creatine and no water afterwards is gonna spell bad news for your stomach.

I don't do creatine...I don't believe in supplements that alter your workout. I'm all about getting your own motivation and blood flow going.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
its definitely placebo.

there's nothing in creatine that's gonna 'alter' your workout. it just makes you physically able to lift the same amount for more reps, and increase recovery time. it doesn't give you a high or an immediate feeling of awesomeness. hell, it shouldn't even do anything for the first week.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Hey man, first off, I'd like to say that you're still young and you got a lot of years ahead of you steadily work at this. I understand that not everyone has the luxury of going to a gym, so I'll see what I can do to help with your goals.

Thank you very much. :3

So you wanna burn fat? Well, like I've said for a few posts now, good diet. Of course, you will be eating less than the daily recommended (2000). You should be aiming to get in around 1500-1700 calories per day capped off with some good cardio or light weight lifting.

I think I eat around or under 2000 as it is. Some days I eat only two meals... I don't really count my calories, though.

Like I've told some other people, google HIIT and see if you can find one that's appropriate for beginners. Normally it involves a 5 minute jog warm up, 10-15 second sprint, 30 sec to 1 min walk, 10-15 sec sprint, repeat for 30 minutes. This will aid you in your quest to burn fat. Do this 3 times a week. You don't want to burn yourself out.

On off days, you can opt to do some light cardio (jogging) to burn some light calories. If you want to tone up some, but don't have access to gym equipment, get creative. Push ups, crunches, dips, calf raises using some homemade weights (buckets of water are an example). You'll probably spend 20 minutes doing all of this appropriately. Don't go for high number sets. Stretch first, and do each set 3-4 times, 10-15 times. 45 second rest between each set, 2 minutes between each exercise. After that, do some light jogging or biking for 20-30 minutes.

Excuse me while I look all that up... XD;

All in all, you should see some results if you stick to it. If you need help on how to construct a good diet, just send me a PM or respond to this post.

No, I won't need help with that.
terr13 said:
I'm no expert at these things, so take what I say with a grain of salt. There is no way to get rid of belly and chest fat. You can only get rid of fat in general, and that's about 70% diet.

Ah. Didn't know that.

I would recommend you get a pull-up bar, those are amazing, and also try to do more pushups, situps, and squats at home, even without weight.

Well, like I said, I do push-ups and sit-ups. I won't be getting a pull-up bar, but...

The problem with eating a lot less, but not exercising is that your overall overally body fat percentage is probably around the same, and a lot of what you're losing is muscle. That's also why BMI is not the most accurate representation of your overall health.

I've heard that... >_>; Ugh.

If you want some thing to start up, you can try doing some HIIT on a track or at home, or even just do burpees, mountain climbers, or jumping jacks, and try onehundredpushups.com, and its other affiliated sites.
Thank you both for the help... my responses are in bold.

Top Bottom